Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salam,

In this commentary of Surah al-Kafirum, translated by brother @Ibn al-Hussain, there is a section on what 'Ibadah is. To be completely honest, I found it quite problematic. Let me quote a few of the statements:

According to the Qurān the Arabs believed in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). The atheism which we witness today in the world was very rare in the Arab society. The idea that there is no Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) or no God at all did not exist amongst the Arabs and in fact the Qurān does not address the phenomenon of atheism at all. The Arabs not only believed in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), they also believed in tawḥīd in His (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) creation and lordship. The Arabs had a problem in worship, as they would primarily worship the idol by the name of Hubal alongside some other idols. Their prayers, devotions and sacrifices were for these idols.

In summary, the problem with the Arabs was not a problem in tawḥīd of essence, creation or lordship. The discussion on tawḥīd in attributes was not a topic of discussion at the time and was a later theological dispute. The issue was tawḥīd in worship and hence why there is such a significant emphasis on worshiping Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) alone.

What I understand from these is that the respected Shaykh is saying that the mushrikeen of Quraysh, believed in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) correctly. They did not associate partners with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), meaning they also thought that their idols were created and dependent of Allah. 

What I find problematic, is that the definition of worship was not actually defined. Is worship just being extremely humble? I believe the very definition of worship is to to shirk in Tawheed of essence. As in, prostrating to someone without the intention of worship (believing that person is God), is not actually worship. This is why prostrating by itself is not shirk. Only when we have the intention of worship and believe that this person has attributes that only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has, does this prostration become worship. 

So for the respected Shaykh to say that the mushrikeen of Quraysh had tawhid in the essence of Allah seems to be incorrect. That would be tantamount to saying that they had the same belief of Allah as we have (minus the Tawhid of the attributes, since that wasn't even a discussion back then), and that they only messed up because they showed humility to their idols. 

Edited by Follower of Ahlulbayt