Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
AStruggler

Question on the different recitations of the Salwaat and when to say each...

Recommended Posts

Salaam, so these are the 3 common salwaat recitations that I usually hear:

1) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadin wa aale Muhammad 

2) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadiw wa aale Muhammad 

3) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammad, wa aale Muhammad 

 

Is one version more correct than the other?
Are there specific times when to pronounce it as "...din..." and "...diw..."? 
I heard something like we should not even say the third one at all because it separates "Muhammad" from the "aal"...Can anyone clarify and explain this further?
From my understanding, the third version is recited when we are stopping or making a small pause after Muhammad, so the tanween is not pronounced...Is this the reason?
So, when do we recite each version and why?

Edited by AStruggler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, AStruggler said:

Salaam, so these are the 3 common salwaat recitations that I usually hear:

1) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadin wa aale Muhammad 

 2) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadiw wa aale Muhammad 

3) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammad, wa aale Muhammad 

 

Is one version more correct than the other?
Are there specific times when to pronounce it as "...din..." and "...diw..."? 
I heard something like we should not even say the third one at all because it separates "Muhammad" from the "aal"...Can anyone clarify and explain this further?
From my understanding, the third version is recited when we are stopping or making a small pause after Muhammad, so the tanween is not pronounced...Is this the reason?
 So, when do we recite each version and why?

Pretty sure first two are correct, doesn't matter which one you say. Second one just has idgham.

Not sure about the third though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hassan- said:

@AStruggler

There is no such word as muhammadiw. It’s either Muhammad or muhammadi. When you attach muhammadi with wa aali, it pronounces muhammadi(n). The letter ‘n’ in the end is pronounced but pronounced very silently you could barely hear it, which would technically sound like muhammadiw in a way. You could also pronounce it muhammadin without semi silencing the letter ‘n’ and it would still be correct.

If it's possible, it would be nice if you could send a video clip of it being recited this way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Salaam, so these are the 3 common salwaat recitations that I usually hear:

2) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadiw wa aale Muhammad 

 

Only two ways of pronouncing it

1. with a break........Muhammad wa Ali Muhammad

2. without a break.......Muhammadin wa Ali Muhammad

 

Image result for salawat in arabic

see there is no joining sign called a shaddah above the waw to make it sound Muhammadiw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, haideriam said:

Only two ways of pronouncing it

1. with a break........Muhammad wa Ali Muhammad

2. without a break.......Muhammadin wa Ali Muhammad

 

Image result for salawat in arabic

see there is no joining sign called a shaddah above the waw to make it sound Muhammadiw

#2 would be the most proper way of saying the salawat.

#1 came about after the Islamic revolution of Iran, not out of a conspiracy but pretty much this is how most Iranian Shia recite it as a habit. Those of you old enough or have stayed with your older folks from yesteryears could go and check with them, the most prevalent loud salawat used to be the #2.

Another supporting point for #2 preference would be, open the Qur’an and find all the cases, where the two ‘kasra’ appear under the letter “د” - pronounced dhal-  followed by a letter “و” - pronounced wa-. In almost all cases you would be reading “din-wa” like the #2 above. 

In Qur’an recitation, the only time you would not pronounce the two kasras (to make the din sound) if there is a wqf appears with the indicator mark of “ج” or “صلے” on top of the verse, which is not the case with the salawat written above.

Hence #2 is the preferred method. 

Also ask any Arab Shia alim or even an Arab Sunni alim, he would tell you to read “din-wa”. Mine was corrected by an Arab Sunni alim, which I later verified with many Shia Iraqi ulema and the answer was the same, “do say din-wa”, same as #2 above. 

 

Edited by AMR5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AStruggler said:

If it's possible, it would be nice if you could send a video clip of it being recited this way. 

Watch between 2:02 to 2:10 https://youtu.be/TaBGiOPl8EU

notice how he pronounces the letter ‘n’ but it’s a bit transparent and silent.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 1:07 AM, AStruggler said:

Salaam, so these are the 3 common salwaat recitations that I usually hear:

1) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadin wa aale Muhammad 

2) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadiw wa aale Muhammad 

3) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammad, wa aale Muhammad 

 

Is one version more correct than the other?
Are there specific times when to pronounce it as "...din..." and "...diw..."? 
I heard something like we should not even say the third one at all because it separates "Muhammad" from the "aal"...Can anyone clarify and explain this further?
From my understanding, the third version is recited when we are stopping or making a small pause after Muhammad, so the tanween is not pronounced...Is this the reason?
So, when do we recite each version and why?

I asked a scholar about this. He said All three are correct but have different backgrounds/reasons. 

1. This is most natural sounding to Arab people in their everyday language. But is technically incorrect from tajweed point of view. But this is how an Arab would speak normally. (Din-wa)

2. This is correct from tajweed point of view and is the best/proper way to read it. (Diw-wa). However Arabs do not speak like this normally in their everyday language. 

3. This is not wrong but not recommended either because we should not separate Muhammad from Aale Muhammad. (Muhammad wa Aale Muhammad)

 

Edited by Maisam Haider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry you and that speaker are all wrong. 

The waw is a joiner hence his explanation is illiterate. 

It is just 1 and 3. Let me show you an instance of 2 and it is a different recitation, see the shaddah on the waw

 

Image result for salawat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, haideriam said:

I am sorry you and that speaker are all wrong. 

The waw is a joiner hence his explanation is illiterate. 

It is just 1 and 3. Let me show you an instance of 2 and it is a different recitation, see the shaddah on the waw

 

Image result for salawat

______________________

Ref:

Salaam, so these are the 3 common salwaat recitations that I usually hear:

1) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadin wa aale Muhammad 

2) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadiw wa aale Muhammad 

3) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammad, wa aale Muhammad 

________________________________

Like br. @haideriam said, the correct ways are only #1 and #3.

#1 to be the preferred one from what I asked and learned

Never heard or paid attention to #2, but true, it won’t be used until you see a “shadda” on “و” pronounces diw-wa. 

Edited by AMR5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, haideriam said:

I am sorry you and that speaker are all wrong. 

The waw is a joiner hence his explanation is illiterate. 

It is just 1 and 3. Let me show you an instance of 2 and it is a different recitation, see the shaddah on the waw

 

Image result for salawat

It is a rule of tajweed that when a word ends in tanween and there is a waw after it the tanween sound "merges" with the waw...as long as you don't stop at Muhammad. That means 2 is the correct and most proper way. However , Arabic speaking individuals find it unnatural because they are used to speaking 1, which is incorrect tajweed wise, but sounds more natural for Arabs. 

For non Arabic speaking individuals, they learn the classic Arabic and thats why speak the proper way which is 2.... Muhammad -iw-

Edited by Maisam Haider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2019 at 8:07 PM, AStruggler said:

1) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadin wa aale Muhammad 

2) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammadiw wa aale Muhammad 

3) Allah humma salli a'la Muhammad, wa aale Muhammad 

On 5/20/2019 at 12:24 AM, Hassan- said:

@AStruggler

There is no such word as muhammadiw. It’s either Muhammad or muhammadi. When you attach muhammadi with wa aali, it pronounces muhammadi(n). The letter ‘n’ in the end is pronounced but pronounced very silently you could barely hear it, which would technically sound like muhammadiw in a way. You could also pronounce it muhammadin without semi silencing the letter ‘n’ and it would still be correct.

6 hours ago, Maisam Haider said:

It is a rule of tajweed that when a word ends in tanween and there is a waw after it the tanween sound "merges" with the waw...as long as you don't stop at Muhammad. That means 2 is the correct and most proper way. However , Arabic speaking individuals find it unnatural because they are used to speaking 1, which is incorrect tajweed wise, but sounds more natural for Arabs. 

For non Arabic speaking individuals, they learn the classic Arabic and thats why speak the proper way which is 2.... Muhammad -iw-

9 hours ago, AMR5 said:

Like br. @haideriam said, the correct ways are only #1 and #3.

#1 to be the preferred one from what I asked and learned

Never heard or paid attention to #2, but true, it won’t be used until you see a “shadda” on “و” pronounces diw-wa. 

On 5/21/2019 at 12:30 AM, Maisam Haider said:

2. This is correct from tajweed point of view and is the best/proper way to read it. (Diw-wa). However Arabs do not speak like this normally in their everyday language. 

 

 

Brother @Ibn al-Hussain, there seems to be mixed say here about the validity of recitation 2). From your knowledge, is recitation 2) correct? Or is it incorrect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AStruggler said:

there seems to be mixed say here about the validity of recitation 2). From your knowledge, is recitation 2) correct? Or is it incorrect?

Salam all of them are valid & correct but 1 & 3 are more popular & don't change meaning of Salawat but at first true intention is important than focusing on recitation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...