Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Mohammed-Mehdi

Austria bans Muslim girls from wearing headscarf

Rate this topic

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2019/05/17/596164/Austria-Islamophobia-headscarf-ban 

Austria's parliament approves ban on Muslim headscarves at primary schools

Fri May 17, 2019 09:07AM [Updated: Fri May 17, 2019 09:21AM ]
  1. Home
  2. Europe
  3. EU

Illustrative picture show girls wearing Muslim headscarves.

Illustrative picture show girls wearing Muslim headscarves.

Austrian parliament has approved a law to ban Muslim girls from wearing headscarf in primary schools.

The approval came only six months after the right-wing coalition government announced plans to ban headscarves in kindergartens as well.

The measure, which had been proposed by chancellor Sebastian Kurz’s Right-wing coalition government, was passed with the support of the governing center-right People's Party (ÖVP) and the far-right Freedom Party (FPÖ).

Almost all opposition lawmakers voted against the measure, which they condemned as “discriminatory.”

They also expect that the move would be challenged in Austria’s constitutional court.

The ban will be applied to girls up to around the age of 10 and specifically targets Islamic headscarves.

Though the law refers to ''all head-covering clothes of ideological or religious influence,” it makes exceptions for clothing which only partly covers the hair such as Jewish and Sikh head coverings.

The government has already said it expects the law to face legal challenges.

The organization representing Austria's Muslims, The Islamic Religious Community in Austria (IGGÖ), described the law as "shameless and destructive.

It has already vowed to challenge it in the Constitutional Court on grounds of discrimination.

“The ban on headscarves in primary schools will only lead to segregation and discrimination of Muslim girls," said the government-recognized body.

The country had also passed a law in May 2017, banning Muslim women from wearing full-face veils such as burqas and niqabs in public.

Under the law, violators face a fine of 150 euros (nearly $180) and police are authorized to use force with people who resist showing their faces.

Similar restrictions, known as the “Burqa Ban,” have also been adopted in some other European Union countries like, France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

Denmark has also banned garments that cover the face late last month. Those violating the law risk a fine of 1,000 kroner (£118).

Alhamdulilah, 

And on that same note the school board in my city just approved that girls in high school can have their underwear straps and bra straps exposed and there is a debate as to rather not there should be no skirt limit requirement. 

Alhamdulilah, May the sisters stay strong 

Edited by AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola

4 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Though the law refers to ''all head-covering clothes of ideological or religious influence,” it makes exceptions for clothing which only partly covers the hair such as Jewish and Sikh head coverings.

This caveat in the law is a blatant slam dunk legal definition of discrimination since an argument can’t be made it pertains to multiple groups, hence not discriminatory. Its clearly crafted to affect Muslims only.

Not sure how the law works in Austria/EU but a court would easily declare it in this case. This was used to dismiss Trumps “Muslim travel ban” in US court as well. 

Anyone know about Austrian (or EU) law?

5 hours ago, starlight said:

Only 4% of the Austrian population are Muslims.

Islam is the second largest religion in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, with results from the United Kingdom 2011 Census giving the United Kingdom Muslim population in 2011 as 2,516,000, 4.4% of the total population.

3,372,966 (2017 estimation) ÷ 66,000,000

= 5.11%

So as of 2017 it's estimated that 5% of the United Kingdom's population is Muslim, very close to Austria, but I'm sure there would be a completely different reaction if it were to happen here... 

5 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

5% of the United Kingdom's population is Muslim, very close to Austria,

Still a minority and Britain isn't a Muslim country.I don't know why people get upset at developments like these. You choose to live in a country then you have to follow the laws. 

36 minutes ago, starlight said:

You choose to live in a country then you have to follow the laws. 

I had no control over where I was born and it's not like I can migrate now... :sorry:

5 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

I had no control over where I was born and it's not like I can migrate now... :sorry:

I am not saying you should migrate. I am just saying that we should not get shocked at things like these anymore. Things are going to get worse.Let's just accept it.

2 minutes ago, starlight said:

I am not saying you should migrate. I am just saying that we should not get shocked at things like these anymore. Things are going to get worse.Let's just accept it.

Yeah, scary times we are living in, here they are apparently forcing LGBTQ lessons in primary schools from Sept 2020 :(

I can't even imagine how things will be in several years time when I'm trying to raise my kids.... 

Guest Jaal
10 hours ago, AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola said:

Alhamdulilah, 

And on that same note the school board in my city just approved that girls in high school can have their underwear straps and bra straps exposed and there is a debate as to rather not there should be no skirt limit requirement. 

Alhamdulilah, May the sisters stay strong 

What a contrast. It must be so odd for sisters living in the West, seeing women with their hair out, face full of make up, clothes fitting very tightly and effectively free-mixing, dancing, and engaging in casual pre-marital sexual relationships with other women and men. It's just so at odds with the Islamic way of life, yet it is so common now among we are desensitised to it. 

Guest Jaal
Just now, Ali~J said:

Yeah, scary times we are living in, here they are apparently forcing LGBTQ lessons in primary schools from Sept 2020 :(

I can't even imagine how things will be in several years time when I'm trying to raise my kids.... 

Well, as Shias, we have nothing against trans people , Iran funds transexual operations. As for LGBQ, we can coexist peacefully, and we don't have to advocate for them. As for raising your kids, most Muslim majority countries are backward in healthcare, economy, education, and safety, so you're going to have to balance complete fitnah in deen verses dunya. 

1 hour ago, Guest Jaal said:

What a contrast. It must be so odd for sisters living in the West, seeing women with their hair out, face full of make up, clothes fitting very tightly and effectively free-mixing, dancing, and engaging in casual pre-marital sexual relationships with other women and men. It's just so at odds with the Islamic way of life, yet it is so common now among we are desensitised to it. 

Alhamdulilah, 

Yeah I would imagine to a modest true believing Muslim sister it is very odd, especially with there being Muslim sisters who cover, but their cloths are just as tight and revealing as non Muslim. This also happens to be one of the signs of the last days however. Muhammad SAW narrated that Women will cover but it will be like they have no cloths on. 

Alhamdulilah, I don’t judge though. Women have their own struggles and some of those women that are in scad clothing and mixing and participating in pre marital sexual relationships don’t necessarily want that lifestyle but are pressured by society to be that way. These are usually the believers that end up finding their way to Islam. 

Edited by AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola

Well, as Shias, we have nothing against trans people , Iran funds transexual operations. As for LGBQ, we can coexist peacefully, and we don't have to advocate for them. As for raising your kids, most Muslim majority countries are backward in healthcare, economy, education, and safety, so you're going to have to balance complete fitnah in deen verses dunya. 

Alhamdulilah, 

Very well said, no where is perfect nor will it ever be. It’s the nature of being human and Muslim. Insha’Allah We look forward to the hereafter free from worldly problems and struggle. 

I've never really understood why Iran does fund those operations. Secondly I don't think we'll ever coexist with the LGBQ since they themselves are a sign of armageddon. The only reason why Muslim majority countries are behind in those sectors is because of the west, which is actually ironic.