Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Propaganda_of_the_Deed

[Video]Taraweeh: Evil Bid'ah or Prophetic Sunnah?

Rate this topic

Guest Items

In principle, Sunnis believe Muhammed (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) would himself do it, but stop doing so out of fear it would be made mandatory. However, after his death given nothing could be made mandatory and everything was now fixed, there was no longer that possibility, and Sunnis take this to be permission to do it, given the only concern according to them of the Prophet and his disapproval of people joining in was its being made wajib.

Just now, Zaid Bin Ali said:

So do anyone knows why Imam Ali did not stop taraweeh when he became the 4th caliph?

We are more focused on whether he lead any taraweeh prayers or even joined the jama'at. Or any of our Imam practiced it or even advised it to anyone of his comanion or student. 

We only have evidence for night prayers during ramadhan which are to be offered individually (furada), not in congregation.

Guest Items

I mean as Shias, because of these bizarre practises a minority do, and the majority get offended when some try to call out and speak out against, do we have a leg to stand on in lecturing Sunnis about Bidah? I think in such instances we can let our scholars give their Fatwah, but to avoid embarrassing ourselves, we should just not mock Sunnis about it, because the things we do make it almost irresistible for them to laugh at the idea of a Shia calling them out for innovation. 

53 minutes ago, Abu Nur said:

It is an good bid'ah.

Ohh man, I think I just need to join any turbo taraweeh group or a Farari group as I already missed 9-10 days of taraweeh.

114 chapters in 114 minutes at double top.

5 minutes ago, Guest Items said:

we should just not mock Sunnis about it, because the things we do make it almost irresistible for them to laugh at the idea of a Shia calling them out for innovation. 

lol, who cares about this bid'ah business. We are Rafidha and will remain rafidha for them.

9 minutes ago, Guest Items said:

You have to admit one thing brothers and sisters, just as we Shias call out Taraweh, why do we not call out praying on fire, tatbir, rolling in mud, going into sujood and crying out to Fatima (عليه السلام), and all of the other practises that have only crept in over the last few centuries?

I mean, yes, Taraweh by our standards is a Bidah, even though the act of reciting the noble Qur'an in a beautiful voice with other Muslims isn't necessarily something terrible. However, cutting ourselves, rolling in mud, having horse parades where people touch the horse for blessings, calling out to created beings in sujood are surely worse.

Here's my opinion, over 95% or more of one group perform taraweeh and most consider it odd when someone doesn't agree with it from their own group. Probably less than 50% of Shi'as perform the acts you mention and many consider it odd when people of their own group do. That, I think is the key difference.

11 minutes ago, Urwatul Wuthqa said:

We are more focused on whether he lead any taraweeh prayers or even joined the jama'at. Or any of our Imam practiced it or even advised it to anyone of his comanion or student. 

We only have evidence for night prayers during ramadhan which are to be offered individually (furada), not in congregation.

So did Imam Ali (رضي الله عنه) performed it? Because in that video he said that Imam Ali (رضي الله عنه) praised Umar and he practice it. 

Just now, Zaid Bin Ali said:

Because in that video he said that Imam Ali (رضي الله عنه) praised Umar and he practice it. 

You will find a lot of things about Imam Ali (عليه السلام) in their books including his confession that Abu Bakr & Co are superior to him.

6 minutes ago, Zaid Bin Ali said:

So did Imam Ali (رضي الله عنه) performed it? Because in that video he said that Imam Ali (رضي الله عنه) praised Umar and he practice it. 

Amir Al Mu’mineen (عليه السلام) praising Umar? That don’t even sound right. Muhammad SAW didn’t even want Umar to lead prayers. 

Edited by AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola

1 minute ago, AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola said:

Amir Al Mu’mineen (عليه السلام) praising Umar? That don’t even sound right. 

Exactly, that’s why I was shocked. 

5 minutes ago, Urwatul Wuthqa said:

You will find a lot of things about Imam Ali (عليه السلام) in their books including his confession that Abu Bakr & Co are superior to him.

I see, thanks for the info. 

Just now, Urwatul Wuthqa said:

Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said: “Most of the hypocrites of my ummah are among those who have memorized Qur’aan.” 

YES YES YES YES. Just like my Qur'an teacher, he always says we shouldn’t do this and do that, he is the first one who does it. I never loved him but I did respect him. 

It's an innovation of Umar ibn al Khattab which Imam Ali disproved of because it directly conflicts the Sunnah, which is praying extra nafl and/or the tahajjud at home.

From the early source of Kitab Sulaym ibn Qays Imam Ali lists the innovations of Umar.

It's a shame our brothers in Ahl al Sunnah do not give this some thought yet willingly accept the hadiths created by Muawiyah & Co.

Do you all see that if Iasws ordered to have the Maqaam-e-Ibrahimas returned back to the place where the Messenger of Allahsaww had placed it before (after conquering Mecca), and returned the Fadak to the inheritors of Fatimaasws, and returned to the ‘Sa’a’ of the Messenger of Allahsaww and hissaww ‘Mudd’ to what it was, and cut-off (the benefits) from those that the Messenger of Allahsaww had cut-it off from, and return the house of Ja’faras Bin Abu Talibas to hisas inheritors while removing it from the Masjid7, and reject the judgements for the ones who were judged unfairly, and return what was wrongly taken the land of Khyber, and erase the register of gifts and gift it in accordance with what was gifted by the Messenger of Allahsaww.

And Iasws do not make it to be between the rich, and captivate the children of the Clan of Taghlub, and order the people to not gather in the Month of Ramadhan except for the obligatory Prayers8, some of the people from the army – from those that fought alongside measws - will call out, ‘O people of Islam, heasws has altered the Sunnah of Umar and is preventing us from ‘voluntary’ Praying in the Month of Ramadhan’ to the extent that Iasws fear that there will be a revolt in myasws army.

7 As it was forcefully including in the Masjid by the first Caliph.

8 Imamasws is referring to bidah of the Taraweeh which Umar ibn Khittab started, so Imamasws is saying do not get together in the Masjid except for the five obligatory prayers, I.e., not for the Taraweeh to which Muslims got very used when this Bidah was started by the 2nd Muslim Caliph, Umar ibn Khittab.

46 out of 54

The Book Of Sulaym Bin Qays Al Hilali www.hubeali.com

Edited by ali47

18 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

Our guideline is the Holy Qur'an along with the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) and his progeny (عليه السلام) . Anything that falls outside of this framework has nothing to do with our madhab and our deen, even if people who claim to follow this are participating in such things. 

Agreed.

If I may ask, what is your understanding of this prostration to lady Fatimah (عليه السلام) I hear so much about? I recall one thread time ago, and it had divided opinions as to it's authentcity and understandably, whether it was even Islamic to do. 

Personally I have never done it nor would I be comfortable in doing it.

This subject has been discussed here even in the past, besides, why you keep linking to the leading, Wahhabi anti-Shia channels? There’s no point of copy-pasting previous arguments on tarawih, see this article for example. The People of Ignorance are just that, the ignorant. When the fallible sinful beings change religion in major ways, it’s accepted by them, otherwise it’s always “shirk” and “bidah”.. Those people are nothing more or less than munafiqun that the Holy Qur'an speaks about. 

Sahih al-Bukhari Book 32 Hadith 230

Narrated Abu Salama bin 'Abdur Rahman:

that he asked 'Aisha "How was the prayer of Allah's Apostle in Ramadan?" She replied, "He did not pray more than eleven Rakat in Ramadan or in any other month. He used to pray four Rakat ---- let alone their beauty and length----and then he would pray four ----let alone their beauty and length ----and then he would pray three Rakat (Witr)." She added, "I asked, 'O Allah's Apostle! Do you sleep before praying the Witr?' He replied, 'O 'Aisha! My eyes sleep but my heart does not sleep."

Edited by OrthodoxTruth

59 minutes ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

This subject has been discussed here even in the past, besides, why you keep linking to the leading, Wahhabi anti-Shia channels? 

You do realise they and their flock frequent this website? We cannot and should not bury our heads in the sand and at least discuss their arguments amongst ourselves on our own platform without a horde of takfiri trolls, like the toxic environment on Youtube comments.

Not only so fellow Shia can see our refutations should they come across these - which they will.

And secondly non-Shia or neutrals can see we at least address these issues.

We know the polemics are recycled - on both sides. Half the "new posts" on this site can be linked back to older threads too.

Just because the debate topics are old, does not mean attacks against us will stop. I posted this about an hour after the video was uploaded - so it is a fresh discussion of an old topic. 

This is why I keep linking to their channels.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

1 hour ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Agreed.

If I may ask, what is your understanding of this prostration to lady Fatimah (عليه السلام) I hear so much about? I recall one thread time ago, and it had divided opinions as to it's authentcity and understandably, whether it was even Islamic to do. 

Personally I have never done it nor would I be comfortable in doing it.

I actually opened a topic a couple of days ago to try and understand what the origin is of such acts. I have yet to see anything of this kind in our classical books of narration. Rather it seems to be a relatively recent (last couple of centuries) phenomenon without any clear source going back to the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام).

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) protect of such things.

Wallahu a'lam 

1 hour ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

You do realise they and their flock frequent this website? We cannot and should not bury our heads in the sand and at least discuss their arguments amongst ourselves on our own platform without a horde of takfiri trolls, like the toxic environment on Youtube comments.

Not only so fellow Shia can see our refutations should they come across these - which they will.

And secondly non-Shia or neutrals can see we at least address these issues.

We know the polemics are recycled - on both sides. Half the "new posts" on this site can be linked back to older threads too.

Just because the debate topics are old, does not mean attacks against us will stop. I posted this about an hour after the video was uploaded - so it is a fresh discussion of an old topic. 

This is why I keep linking to their channels.

:salam:

That would not be burying our heads into the sand, rather it would just be ignoring them.

They seem to live for this kind of polemics, is it how we should waste our time ?

7 hours ago, Zaid Bin Ali said:

This is a great lie Imam Ali (عليه السلام) tried to stop people from praying tarawih after becoming caliph but majority of people raised against him & said “ oh Umar oh sunnata “ & created chaos in city so Imam Ali (عليه السلام) postponed stopping it because Jamal battle started & he didn’t want an internal war in his army for it but who says that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) prayed it or praised Umar for it is a big fat liar or Nasibi

8 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

This is a great lie Imam Ali (عليه السلام) tried to stop people from praying tarawih after becoming caliph but majority of people raised against him & said “ oh Umar oh sunnata “ & created chaos in city so Imam Ali (عليه السلام) postponed stopping it because Jamal battle started & he didn’t want an internal war in his army for it but who says that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) prayed it or praised Umar for it is a big fat liar or Nasibi

I know brother, I posted it above your post. ^