Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Salam alaikum brothers and sisters

What are you currently doing to reduce your negative impact on the environment that we and our descendants must live in? 

What tips can you share?

What questions do you have that others might be able to answer?

I have fruit trees, and we eat from them whenever we can. I reduce driving trips, use cloth grocery bags and recycle plastic, metal, and cardboard. I keep our heating and air conditioning at minimal levels. 

What I'd like to know is this: My large family consumes about 5 gallons of milk per week. Aside from reducing consumption, what can we do to reduce the plastic waste? Five plastic jugs per week is too many to reuse for anything reasonable! 

I can only really get to my job by car, which is a 100-mile round trip. So I go as little as possible. In the summer when most people are on holiday, I don't go at all.

When senior management come across me they do comment that they've not seen me for a long time. That may be embarrassing for me, but the personal cost to me is nothing as compared to saving the planet.

Edited by Haji 2003

Interesting topic. I love environment. I try my best not to use plastic but I live with my family that LOVE using plastics bags and bottle. (Even tho we have a water filter). 

I always bring my reusable straws for drinks. I try my best to use reusable water bottles as well. People should try to save the environment. 

1 hour ago, Zaid Bin Ali said:

I always bring my reusable straws for drinks

I'm thinking about doing a blog post about this.

I think the straw and plastic bag initiatives while admirable represent displacement activity. We feel good doing them and they are relatively easy to do, but do they really make a fundamental change?

The drink that was consumed with that straw likely has a far higher carbon footprint. And why do people consume lattes etc? If it is to feel good - aren't there intangible ways of doing this that have no environmental cost at all? And should society be moving towards such business/environmental models.

Think about the blue badge that I have. Every time I see it my heart does a little hop, skip and jump and no CO2 was consumed.

Edited by Haji 2003

Oh, I almost forgot! This isn't an accessible option for most people, but we recently got solar panels. Right now it's wired to the grid, so if the power goes out it turns off, but as soon as batteries are better and more affordable, we plan to get a house battery. It's unlikely in our region that we'll be able to go fully off-grid, but it's nice to try since we can. 

36 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

^ have you looked into the Tesla power wall?

Yes, it's about $20K!

But it's also the only house battery worth having right now. 

1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

I'm thinking about doing a blog post about this.

I think the straw and plastic bag initiatives while admirable represent displacement activity. We feel good doing them and they are relatively easy to do, but do they really make a fundamental change?

The drink that was consumed with that straw likely has a far higher carbon footprint. And why do people consume lattes etc? If it is to feel good - aren't there intangible ways of doing this that have no environmental cost at all? And should society be moving towards such business/environmental models.

Think about the blue badge that I have. Every time I see it my heart does a little hop, skip and jump and no CO2 was consumed.

I would love to read about it, feel free to link it to me once you are done with the blog.

to be honest with you, I don’t know. XD But if you check what happened in United States, they stopped using plastic straws in most of the fast food restaurants because of that torture. (The popular video were the plastic straw was stuck in the torture nose)  

Lets start slowly, which is the least thing that you use and that thing destroys the environment? Try not to use it. 

The one that destroy the environment mostly are plastics, but don’t forget cigarettes as well xD (some ppl said that cigarettes destroyed the planet)

I don’t use plastic straws and plastic cups, I try my best not to use plastic bag and plastic water bottle. I don’t smoke, I try my best not to eat a lot of animal products specially dairies, I don’t drive as well (sadly) 

oh and I am a minimalist as well :) 

44 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

^ have you looked into the Tesla power wall?

No Tesla in the place where I live. :( 

I took this picture a few weeks ago in Hong Kong. This is the way we need to go if we want to reduce plastics. But it goes against everything that modern businesses are about.

thumbnail_IMG_1139.thumb.jpg.97ae1c847f9d9cfc5f64119a80246664.jpg

On 5/15/2019 at 8:06 AM, notme said:

Salam alaikum brothers and sisters

What are you currently doing to reduce your negative impact on the environment that we and our descendants must live in? 

What tips can you share?

What questions do you have that others might be able to answer? 

I have fruit trees, and we eat from them whenever we can. I reduce driving trips, use cloth grocery bags and recycle plastic, metal, and cardboard. I keep our heating and air conditioning at minimal levels. 

What I'd like to know is this: My large family consumes about 5 gallons of milk per week. Aside from reducing consumption, what can we do to reduce the plastic waste? Five plastic jugs per week is too many to reuse for anything reasonable! 

-as you already mentioned, using cloth grocery bags instead of plastic

-minimizing use of the car (in Europe, cycling, public transport and walking are usually feasible. In the US I believe it's usually not an option)

-regarding your question about milk, consider getting your milk from a nearby farm rather than a grocery store

-in some European countries, we typically sort our waste (separate bags for paper, glass, metals and compost)

-growing some or all of your own fruit and veg

-buying fresh food instead of packaged food

-reducing meat and poultry consumption

Most of these habits are also good for our health

I’ve been trying to use less and less water. I try to open it less when I’m showering, wudhuing or washes the dishes. I don’t have ...control over much else about the house because I live with siblings so I don’t know what else I could do. 

You could use milk jugs to plant things in and as watering pots as well :) You could also cut it diagonally in the middle to use as a scoop. Maybe you could melt them down and create other things as well?

13 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

I took this picture a few weeks ago in Hong Kong. This is the way we need to go if we want to reduce plastics. But it goes against everything that modern businesses are about.

How do they sell bananas in United Kingdom? In US, it's just loose bunches or individual items on a produce display, sold by weight. 

They supply plastic bags that shoppers can pick up, but I never use those. I think my husband puts each fruit or vegetable into it's own individual bag though, the way we somehow accumulate them. 

23 hours ago, notme said:

How do they sell bananas in United Kingdom? In US, it's just loose bunches or individual items on a produce display, sold by weight. 

Sorry it was not clear. This is bananas being sold as a snack in 7/11. So unlike the chocs next to them no processing or packaging.

23 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Sorry it was not clear. This is bananas being sold as a snack in 7/11. So unlike the chocs next to them no processing or packaging.

Oh, we have that here too. 

I've heard.

I rarely enter a 7-11 store, but my husband had mentioned getting apples or bananas for breakfast there on his way to work when running late. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

I rarely enter a 7-11 store, but my husband had mentioned getting apples or bananas for breakfast there on his way to work when running late. 

You:

:furious:

now you know what the prices are like.

^ but that's the issue about reducing carbon footprint, we'd likely have to pay a lot more for a lot less. But it's interesting how a change in ideology can make that pain acceptable. For example just as people are giving up on bikes in developing countries, it's becoming fashionable in the West.

:bismillah::salam:

Well, I have planted hundreds upon hundreds of Eucalyptus trees (about a few hundred of them), some Banyan and Sacred Fig trees as well as others. They even show in google maps! and I was very happy to see them. I have been planting them since a decade but in 2014 I took some strict measures to protect them and then they took off after the encroaching free free rangers with their animals started to keep away. I think this is my biggest contribution. I also use solar system but the grid is designed in a way that my system's impact alone is not as significant in comparison. I also have biogas, as you may well know already, but they say it also makes CO2. Anyway, recently I have also delved into ethanol production at home after much hesitation and thought and will have my first batch in a few days. I have also spent more time than I would like to mention trying to efficiently employ the process of electrolyzing water and making use of the resulting hydrogen. I have a sure shot 100% working design for that but I have not been able to implement it due to time constraints (use a solar panel to electrolyze and break water at home, collect and dry and purify the hydrogen only (keep the oxygen electrode away and isolated) and then compress the gas into a cylinder and then use that to power your car, in a nutshell). The day is too small to do everything.

1 hour ago, starlight said:

Household cleaners and their packaging are another environmental hazard 

That sounds like a very good excuse to clean less! 

Actually, I'm allergic to most cleaning products, so I use non-toxic, environmentally friendly vinegar and baking soda which I buy in bulk, almost to the exclusion of other cleaners. Still have to use laundry and dish detergents, but less, and since we're using less I don't mind paying more for less toxic brands or types. 

@starlight The cats I used to have would have enjoyed "swiffering" with me, but my current felines are somewhat prima donnas. Have you tried that method with children? My youngest son has decided he wants to grow his hair long. 

4 hours ago, starlight said:

Household cleaners and their packaging are another environmental hazard so instead I do this 

That's why Billy's mum took him back.

1 minute ago, Haji 2003 said:

That's why Billy's mum took him back.

Hahahahahah! I was waiting for someone to say this. 

The old people in my neighborhood drive me nuts with their floodlights and their tree cutting and their spraying Roundup all over the place. I'm starting to think nobody over fifty should be left responsible for care of anything in nature. 

On 5/15/2019 at 9:06 AM, notme said:

I have a possible solution AND it would save money! 

Nut "milk" is expensive to buy or to make from scratch. Oat milk is expensive to buy ready made, but very cheap to make. Oats are about 85¢ per lbs, without even shopping around. If my calculations are correct, a pound of oats will make just over a gallon of "oat milk" and my kids seem to like it. 

Of course, it doesn't have the calcium and vitamins A and D that they add to cow milk, but it might be worth a try as a partial replacement since the kids drink far more than they need for health anyway. 

The oats that I buy come in cardboard boxes, which are recyclable or compostable. 

Edited by notme

On 5/17/2019 at 1:06 AM, notme said:

The old people in my neighborhood drive me nuts with their floodlights and their tree cutting and their spraying Roundup all over the place. I'm starting to think nobody over fifty should be left responsible for care of anything in nature. 

What do you use instead of Roundup?

3 hours ago, notme said:

Nut "milk" is expensive to buy or to make from scratch. Oat milk is expensive to buy ready made, but very cheap to make. Oats are about 85¢ per lbs, without even shopping around. If my calculations are correct, a pound of oats will make just over a gallon of "oat milk" and my kids seem to like it. 

Nut milk is well known, but this is the first time I learned about oat milk. Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

What do you use instead of Roundup?

A lawn mower. 

I smothered some poison ivy with cardboard and bricks. I'll get back to you on how well that works long term, but it seems to be staying gone right now. 

I offered to mow the drainage ditch of the lady across the street and she declined, then she sprayed the whole ditch with Roundup because she couldn't get in there with her riding mower. I would have happily done it for her with my push mower, but she wants to be independent and kill all the living things in the Chesapeake Bay. 

2 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Nut milk is well known, but this is the first time I learned about oat milk. Thank you! 

I bought a small container at the store for my family to try. Since they like it, I'm going to make this recipe. I hope it turns out good.

https://lovingitvegan.com/oat-milk/

The one I bought was unsweetened, but still tasted sweet. It also had added calcium and vitamins A and D. 

3 hours ago, notme said:

A lawn mower. 

I smothered some poison ivy with cardboard and bricks. I'll get back to you on how well that works long term, but it seems to be staying gone right now. 

I offered to mow the drainage ditch of the lady across the street and she declined, then she sprayed the whole ditch with Roundup because she couldn't get in there with her riding mower. I would have happily done it for her with my push mower, but she wants to be independent and kill all the living things in the Chesapeake Bay. 

I read that vinegar in water was an organic herbicide alternative so I tried it, to no luck. Did not use table salt because the soil here is already alkaline enough. Then I employed someone to physically remove the knee high weed grass growing by a wall and so many different kind of little weed plants popping up all over in my garden. There is so much and such different variety of weeds here sometimes I think there must be medicinal benefits of at least some of them, or why else would nature grow them everywhere despite repeated removal? I know its the birds and air carrying and dropping all its seed but I find it annoying. Things I plant are so delicate already and then these come in as an enormous competition and nuisance. But I do not use roundup. :D

When I'm bothered enough I will build a portable blowtorch.

Edited by Darth Vader

@Darth Vader I also tried vinegar, salt, and water, and it also didn't work very well for me. Some of the leaves wilted, but other leaves recovered fully. So I used cardboard weighed with bricks instead. I got a rash on my face from poison ivy last year and now I'm afraid to touch it even with gloves. If I find a person who isn't allergic, I would happily pay them to remove it. 

Salaam, 

A few years back they made having recycling bins compulsory for us, but that was stupid since they rarely come to even pick them up. 

We have 3 cars all running on fuel so that's not good, although there is the yearly MOT in which they check if your emissions are too high. 

Then there's the electricity, anything idle is switched off water is used sparingly as well as the gas. 

Oh and I've also got about 10 trees in the garden and I've actually planted 3 saplings lately too. 

The thing is people go on about converting to electricity when fossil fuels are still being used to generate the electricity in the first place. So is it really carbon neutral? 

We've got these popping up around where I live. They're attached to the street light poles. There goes the argument about a lack of infrastructure for charging.

IMG_1372.jpg.d2f1b52c3798f9bfc9dd22b09ef49835.jpg

Guest eco

Hoping to recycle human and pet waste to use as compost for home grown food.

Cycling.

Limiting heater use even in winter.

Will drive to Spain instead of plane. (23 hours)

Daily lobbying for the 'Green new deal', to help AOC pass it one day. 

Still drink cows milk though :( I feel terrible. I also buy clothes from large suppliers known not to be carbon neutral.