Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Aliya 16

Does your fast count if you do not pray?

Rate this topic

Hi

I would like to know if your fast still counts if you do not do the daily prayer? If anyone has a Ayah in the Qur'an etc that makes the answer clear.

Thank you.

46 minutes ago, Aliya 16 said:

Hi

I would like to know if your fast still counts if you do not do the daily prayer? If anyone has a Ayah in the Qur'an etc that makes the answer clear.

Thank you.

No. It does not count. You need to do the daily prayers. 

1 hour ago, Aliya 16 said:

Hi

Thank you.

Yes your fast still counts. If you fast without praying, you won't need to make it up according to fiqh. However, you won't get the spiritual benefits.

16 hours ago, Aliya 16 said:

Hi

Thank you.

You’re not supposed to miss your wajib prayers anyway regardless of if you’re fasting or not. If you’ve missed them then it’s best to pray them as qaza. You can also make up the fast as qaza as well. Won’t count as much but at least you won’t be missing them.

1 hour ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Well It does make sense why it won't be accepted but according to fiqh the fast is invalid?

I was speaking on the grounds of having missed prayers (regardless of during a fast or not), missed prayers need to be prayed as Qaza to limit the damage.

I was also speaking on the grounds of missing a fast for whatever reason. You can make it up as qaza.

However, I'm curious as to what basis you are speaking on when you mention that you don't have to pray during a fast and still have it deemed valid? Do you have a Jafari fiqh ruling on that? It doesn't make sense to me to have a fast still be valid if you miss prayers (assuming there are not any extenuating or extreme circumstances).

Doesn't praying and fasting go hand in hand?

Whether our ibadah (worship) counts and is accepted is only known by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

From a jurisprudential perspective there are 9 things which invalidate the fast. 

See: https://www.Sistani.org/english/book/48/2263/

Technically, missing your prayers in itself will not invalidate the fast.

However, missing the prayers is a greater sin and as already pointed out in some posts above the prayers are narrated to be a prerequisite for the acceptance of our deeds. 

Therefore while the fast may be technically valid, there is unlikely to be much reward for it (if any) although only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows best what is accepted and what isn't.

3 hours ago, AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola said:

The Holy Imams have said that fast is not accepted without prayer. A fast without 5 daily prayer is just going hungry for no reason. As matter of fact, all your good deeds are not in order if salaat is absent. The five daily prayer will be the first thing asked about you on Yauma Qiyamah. On Yauma Qiyamah You will not even receive intercession from Muhammad or the Imams if your salaat are absent. 

You might come out better making 5 times prayer and not fasting than the Vice versa. 

https://www.al-Islam.org/greater-sins-volume-3-ayatullah-Sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/thirty-sixth-greater-sin

It seems that I did get the same conclusion by reading that work. Now I'm not 100% sure about the issue because I read from other source that it would be great sin but it will not void the fasting. But how can a great sin not void it?

Edited by Abu Nur

10 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

It seems that I did get the same conclusion by reading that work. Now I'm not 100% sure about the issue because I read from other source that it would be great sin but it will not void the fasting. But how can a great sin not void it?

Alhamdulilah, 

By Allah I saw with my own eyes on a narration from the Holy Imams about fasting being invalid without 5 daily prayers. I didn’t think of course at that time I would ever need it for future reference. I read a lot and sometimes I can’t recall the particular book but Alhamdulilah I do retain most of the information in the book. 

The fact of the matter is that it is true, Allah is in control of what’s accepted by his will and mercy. However we do know that salaat is the backbone to all other acts of worship and if there is no salaat or your salaat are not accepted then all your other deeds are not accepted according to Ahlul Bayt.  

That list of Sistani is merely acts that would break your fast instantly if done intentionally. But there could be several other things on that list as well which are not on that list, such as gambling, physical harming, oppressing, or killing a Muslim etc.  Just because it’s not on Sistani list of 9 things doesn’t mean your fast is in order. Missing daily prayer intentionally is a major sin and major sins erase all other good deeds. So by telling me those things are not on that list you are giving Muslims permission to gamble, physical harm and oppress and kill Muslims while fasting. But!! Allah is most merciful so I guess hey it’s all good. Muhammad SAW died for our sins so it’s all good????? Smh 

Some scholars say oh you can fast without Salaat but you will not get the spiritual benefit?  Well..what is a fast without the spiritual benefit? That’s just a body cleansing that even non Muslims do! The physical aspect is not going to do any good for you in the grave and on yauma Qiyamah. The spiritual aspect is what your going to need for the next world because the physical will no longer be necessary. So do you really want to do a fast with no spiritual benefits if you are a true believer.

Being forgiven of sins is part of the spiritual benefits and salaat is the means to be forgiven of sins while fasting, but by intentionally omitting salaat you are committing major sins while fasting. What will you do the following month when there is no fasting? I guess you will not be fasting or praying? The only way I can see this working is if you don’t know how to offer Salāt and so Allah will take what you offer such as the fast? 

AstaghfirAllah! Come on guys we gotta do better than this. We cannot let people leave here thinking that it’s ok to miss salaat while fasting when missing prayer is Haraam even when your not fasting. 

May Allah forgive the believing men and believing women around d the world. 

6 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

Whether our ibadah (worship) counts and is accepted is only known by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

From a jurisprudential perspective there are 9 things which invalidate the fast. 

See: https://www.Sistani.org/english/book/48/2263/

Technically, missing your prayers in itself will not invalidate the fast.

However, missing the prayers is a greater sin and as already pointed out in some posts above the prayers are narrated to be a prerequisite for the acceptance of our deeds. 

Therefore while the fast may be technically valid, there is unlikely to be much reward for it (if any) although only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows best what is accepted and what isn't.

Alhamdulilah, 

Ok so here’s the scenario. I break into your house and steal all your things and then slap your wife if she comes up to stop me from robbing your house. Then I take your money and go party and gambling with your money. I might even get fellatio from one of the girls I’m partying with because technically sex doesn’t take place until a man inserts into woman. And on top of that I’m not even going to make Salāt!!! But guess what??? Everything I just did is not on Sistani’s list of things of invalidating my fast?!?

My non “spiritual benefit” fast is still in order. Alhamdulilah Allah is most merciful. Smh 

Edited by AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola

4 hours ago, AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola said:

Alhamdulilah, 

Ok so here’s the scenario. I break into your house and steal all your things and then slap your wife if she comes up to stop me from robbing your house. Then I take your money and go party and gambling with your money. I might even get fellatio from one of the girls I’m partying with because technically sex doesn’t take place until a man inserts into woman. And on top of that I’m not even going to make Salāt!!! But guess what??? Everything I just did is not on Sistani’s list of things of invalidating my fast?!?

My non “spiritual benefit” fast is still in order. Alhamdulilah Allah is most merciful. Smh 

The point is that we cannot simply make up rules in Islamic jurisprudence. 

Of course everything you described is haraam, nobody is condoning any of these activities in the same way as nobody is condoning missing your prayers. 

Whether a fast technically breaks or doesn't isn't a guideline of what we should and shouldn't do in our daily lives. Missing the prayers is a greater sin, regardless of whether you are fasting or not. Just because it doesn't appear on the list of things that break your fast as per fiqh doesn't mean it is halal. 

However, we cannot start introducing new rules about what invalidates a fast out of our own qiyaas (analogy). Once you start doing this then you end up on a slippery slope. We might as well start deciding on our own who is and isn't a Muslim and whose deeds are or aren't accepted, naudhubillah. 

Wallahu a'lam 

12 hours ago, Aliya 16 said:

Hi

Thank you.

Alhamdulilah 

Ok Aliya, You have heard it from the other scholars here. According to them it is permissible to neglect all 5 time daily prayers everyday while fasting. I wouldn’t advice such a thing but that’s what the scholars here say. 

14 minutes ago, AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola said:

Alhamdulilah 

Ok Aliya, You have heard it from the other scholars here. According to them it is permissible to neglect all 5 time daily prayers everyday while fasting. I wouldn’t advice such a thing but that’s what the scholars here say. 

Actually it's not permissible at all, regardless of whether you are fasting or not. It would help to read what is being written rather than falsely putting words in people's mouths.

Wallahu a'lam 

Edited by Mahdavist

54 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

Actually it's not permissible at all, regardless of whether you are fasting or not. It would help to read what is being written rather than falsely putting words in people's mouths.

Wallahu a'lam 

Alhamdulilah, 

That’s Incorrect. That’s exactly what’s being said by telling people their fast is validated with without prayer. Inshallah Tomorrow morning she will wake up and intentionally miss Fajr, Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha prayer!!!  And she will be happy not to have to pray because fast is good enough! And she will tell her friends who might follow this advice then maybe they will not pray as well, And soon it can spread so now everyone is not praying at all. And everyone is going to feel ok by this because it’s not on the list of Sistani’s 9 things that invalidate fast. It was verified and ok’ed by you. You can explain to Allah. I love you brrother but I take no part in this.  I have done my part here. 

What would our Commander and chief of the believers Amir Al Mumineen (عليه السلام). think of this ruling. 

Edited by AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum 

Your fasting is without merit if salat is not in order.

Shahr Ramadan should be an opportunity to break the shackles of Shaitan and start anew.

Allah is Most Generous Most Merciful where he gave us two bonus sacred months of Rajab and Sha'ban to be ready and in full bloom once the month of Ramadhan arrives.  

Everyday in the month of Ramadhan, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) releases thousands of necks from the hellfire, we have numerous du32s, prayers, and types of dhikr we can incorporate in our daily schedule, but one just needs to act on it.  

If people just go into this month thinking it is just about restricting oneself from drinking and eating during a certain time, then you have the wrong idea of what Shahr Ramadhan is all about.

This takes more work on your end to learn, understand and inform yourself about this holy month.  

You need to remove the love of this dunya from your heart and establish a relationship with Rasoul Allah and his family.  

Start by talking to Allah that you want to change for the better and you wish to seek proximity to your Creator.  You need the intention to change, once your intention is in order, you follow with action.  Most importantly, stay away from haram and do your wajab and fundamentally that means salat is intact.

M3 Salamah, Fe Amin Allah 

1 hour ago, AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola said:

Alhamdulilah, 

That’s Incorrect. That’s exactly what’s being said by telling people their fast is validated with without prayer. Inshallah Tomorrow morning she will wake up and intentionally miss Fajr, Zuhr, Asr, Maghrib, and Isha prayer!!!  And she will be happy not to have to pray because fast is good enough! And she will tell her friends who might follow this advice then maybe they will not pray as well, And soon it can spread so now everyone is not praying at all. And everyone is going to feel ok by this because it’s not on the list of Sistani’s 9 things that invalidate fast. It was verified and ok’ed by you. You can explain to Allah. I love you brrother but I take no part in this.  I have done my part here. 

What would our Commander and chief of the believers Amir Al Mumineen (عليه السلام). think of this ruling. 

You seem to have missed the key point which is that missing your prayers is always a problem, regardless of whether you are fasting or not. 

Anyway, all I can say is as salaamu alaikum and allahu a'lam 

3 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

You seem to have missed the key point which is that missing your prayers is always a problem, regardless of whether you are fasting or not. 

Anyway, all I can say is as salaamu alaikum and allahu a'lam 

Alhamdulilah, 

May Allah Subhana wa ta’ala Bless you and your family, brother. Ramadhan Mubarak. 

May Allah have mercy on the believing men and believing women around the world 

3 hours ago, AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola said:

Alhamdulilah, 

May Allah Subhana wa ta’ala Bless you and your family, brother. Ramadhan Mubarak. 

May Allah have mercy on the believing men and believing women around the world 

Allah ibarak feekum. May He bless you and your family and all the believers.

14 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Salam without praying Namaz , true Fasting will be only experiencing hunger & thirst that just benefits physically in this world but for acceptance of our Fasting & rest of our deeds at first our Namaz must be accepted first of all without accepting Namaz rest of our deeds like as fasting won't accept in judgment day & for acceptance of Namaz the Wilayah must be accepted first.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

6 hours ago, AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola said:

In a Hadith, fasting has been classified into two groups by Imam Ali (AS): body fast and soul fast.

Body fast is in a lower place of fasting and it is limited to a specific time. Since everybody with a weak will is able to body fast, it is considered an easy fasting.

Not eating for some hours is easy for a religious person. She/he is able not to eat and drink even for some days and survive safe and sound.

What is important is soul fast which covers a wide range of activities, so it is a tough fasting. It is not possible for everyone, and every person cannot achieve it through physical fasting.

Body fasting could be a preparation to the higher level of soul fasting. Overcoming doubts, temptations and incentives is not achievable by just body and physical fasting.

Another point is that at the level of soul fasting, all of organs do fast. Ears, eyes, looks, tongues, minds and breaths do fast. These organs fast when person eats and sleeps. They fast not only among people but also in private.

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) states that soul fast is the avoidance of sins of five senses. So souls can be set aside from filth.

If man's soul fasts, five senses would be always vigilant. So the soul would not tend to do sins.

The Philosophy of Fasting

1- Strengthening faith and will

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) has said that "Certainly, the best things to be resorted to for God seekers are believing in God and his Prophet, Jihad in their way which makes Islam proud, being a theist that human being's nature demands, praying which is religion pillar and paying Zakat (that is the needy's rights in your properties and is obligatory in Islam) and Ramadan fasting which deters from torment".

Imam has also said that "It's upon you to fast in Ramadan that is like a shield preventing you from the Hell".

2- Self -building

http://old.ido.ir//en/en-a.aspx?a=1390061509

Imam Ali (a)

The prayer of a fasting person at the time of Iftar is never rejected

Imam Ali (a)

Whoever is prevented from food that he likes, because of his fast, Allah will feed him from the food of Heaven and from its drink.

https://www.al-Islam.org/understanding-month-glory-lessons-month-ramadhan/ahadith-fasting

Right n. 11: The Right of Fasting

حق الصوم

وَأَمَّا حَقُّ الصَّوْمِ فَأَنْ تَعْلَمَ أَنَّهُ حِجابٌ ضَرَبَهُ اللهُ عَلَى لِسَانِكَ وَسمْعِكَ وبَصَرِكَ وَفَرْجِكَ وبَطْنِكَ لِيَسْتر'َكَ بهِ مِن النَّارِ وَهَكَذَا جَاءَ فِي الْحَديثِ «الصَّوْمُ جُنَّةٌ مِنَ النّارِ» فإنْ سكَنَتْ أَطْرَافُكَ فِي حَجَبَتِهَا رَجَوْتَ أَنْ تَكُونَ مَحْجُوبًا. وَإنْ أَنْتَ تَرَكْتَهَا تَضْطَرِبُ فِي حِجَابهَا وتَرْفَعُ جَنَبَاتِ الْحِجَاب فَتُطّلِعُ إلَى مَا لَيْسَ لَهَا بالنَّظْرَةِ الدَّاعِيةِ لِلشَّهْوَةِ وَالقُوَّةِ الْخَارِجَةِ عَنْ حَدِّ التَّقِيَّةِ للهِ لَمْ تَأمَنْ أَنْ تَخرِقَ الْحِجَابَ وَتَخرُجَ مِنْهُ. وَلا قُوَّةَ إلا باللهِ.

And the right of fasting is that you should know it is a veil, which God has set up over your tongue, your hearing and your sight, your private parts and your stomach, to protect you from the Fire. This meaning is asserted in the tradition: “Fasting is a shield against the Fire.” Thus if your parts become tranquil within the veil of fasting, you have hopes of being protected.1 But if you leave them agitated behind the veil and let them lift the sides of the veil, so they look at things that are not lawful for them to look at that incite lust and powers that are beyond the limits of being God-fearing, you will not be safe from tearing through the veil and coming out of it. And there is no power but in God

https://www.al-Islam.org/divine-perspective-on-rights-a-commentary-of-Imam-sajjads-treatise-of-rights/right-n-11-right

6 hours ago, AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola said:

In a Hadith, fasting has been classified into two groups by Imam Ali (AS): body fast and soul fast.

Body fast is in a lower place of fasting and it is limited to a specific time. Since everybody with a weak will is able to body fast, it is considered an easy fasting.

Not eating for some hours is easy for a religious person. She/he is able not to eat and drink even for some days and survive safe and sound.

What is important is soul fast which covers a wide range of activities, so it is a tough fasting. It is not possible for everyone, and every person cannot achieve it through physical fasting.

Body fasting could be a preparation to the higher level of soul fasting. Overcoming doubts, temptations and incentives is not achievable by just body and physical fasting.

Another point is that at the level of soul fasting, all of organs do fast. Ears, eyes, looks, tongues, minds and breaths do fast. These organs fast when person eats and sleeps. They fast not only among people but also in private.

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) states that soul fast is the avoidance of sins of five senses. So souls can be set aside from filth.

If man's soul fasts, five senses would be always vigilant. So the soul would not tend to do sins.

The Philosophy of Fasting

1- Strengthening faith and will

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) has said that "Certainly, the best things to be resorted to for God seekers are believing in God and his Prophet, Jihad in their way which makes Islam proud, being a theist that human being's nature demands, praying which is religion pillar and paying Zakat (that is the needy's rights in your properties and is obligatory in Islam) and Ramadan fasting which deters from torment".

Imam has also said that "It's upon you to fast in Ramadan that is like a shield preventing you from the Hell".

2- Self -building

http://old.ido.ir//en/en-a.aspx?a=1390061509

Imam Ali (a)

The prayer of a fasting person at the time of Iftar is never rejected

Imam Ali (a)

Whoever is prevented from food that he likes, because of his fast, Allah will feed him from the food of Heaven and from its drink.

https://www.al-Islam.org/understanding-month-glory-lessons-month-ramadhan/ahadith-fasting

I advise you, and all my children, my relatives, and whosoever receives this message, to be conscious of Allah, to remove your differences, and to strengthen your ties. I heard your grandfather, peace be upon him, say: "Reconciliation of your differences is more worthy than all prayers and all fasting." 

http://www.dinpajoohan.com/article15784.html

Imam Ali (AS): “Fasting was enjoined so that the sincerity of the righteous may come to light.” 15

http://www.islamicwisdom.net/the-effects-of-fasting-in-Ramadan/

fasting-imam-ali-300x75.png

http://www.aimislam.com/spiritual-dimension-fasting-Sayyid-Muhammad-Rizvi/fasting-Imam-Ali/

Right n. 11: The Right of Fasting

حق الصوم

وَأَمَّا حَقُّ الصَّوْمِ فَأَنْ تَعْلَمَ أَنَّهُ حِجابٌ ضَرَبَهُ اللهُ عَلَى لِسَانِكَ وَسمْعِكَ وبَصَرِكَ وَفَرْجِكَ وبَطْنِكَ لِيَسْتر'َكَ بهِ مِن النَّارِ وَهَكَذَا جَاءَ فِي الْحَديثِ «الصَّوْمُ جُنَّةٌ مِنَ النّارِ» فإنْ سكَنَتْ أَطْرَافُكَ فِي حَجَبَتِهَا رَجَوْتَ أَنْ تَكُونَ مَحْجُوبًا. وَإنْ أَنْتَ تَرَكْتَهَا تَضْطَرِبُ فِي حِجَابهَا وتَرْفَعُ جَنَبَاتِ الْحِجَاب فَتُطّلِعُ إلَى مَا لَيْسَ لَهَا بالنَّظْرَةِ الدَّاعِيةِ لِلشَّهْوَةِ وَالقُوَّةِ الْخَارِجَةِ عَنْ حَدِّ التَّقِيَّةِ للهِ لَمْ تَأمَنْ أَنْ تَخرِقَ الْحِجَابَ وَتَخرُجَ مِنْهُ. وَلا قُوَّةَ إلا باللهِ.

And the right of fasting is that you should know it is a veil, which God has set up over your tongue, your hearing and your sight, your private parts and your stomach, to protect you from the Fire. This meaning is asserted in the tradition: “Fasting is a shield against the Fire.” Thus if your parts become tranquil within the veil of fasting, you have hopes of being protected.1 But if you leave them agitated behind the veil and let them lift the sides of the veil, so they look at things that are not lawful for them to look at that incite lust and powers that are beyond the limits of being God-fearing, you will not be safe from tearing through the veil and coming out of it. And there is no power but in God

https://www.al-Islam.org/divine-perspective-on-rights-a-commentary-of-Imam-sajjads-treatise-of-rights/right-n-11-right

http://hadith.net/en/post/59371/Imam-Sadiq-as-on-fasting/

22 hours ago, Aliya 16 said:

Hi

Thank you.

I don't understand why people keep asking this, not just on this site but even on other Islamic sites I've visited; why on Earth would somebody even want to do that?

If you can manage to not eat or drink anything for the whole day (around 18 hours in the United Kingdom) in the summer heat for 30 days consecutively , surely you can take 15-20 minutes each day to pray?

It would make more sense, from a purely easiness perspective, to do your prayers and not fast (not that I'm endorsing that either obviously), but I've never seen anyone asking about that. I just don't understand the logic here.

If iman was like a house, fasting without prayer would be like spending all day fitting perfectly insulated windows and then leaving the front door open. It's illogical.

Thank you all for your responses. Alhamdulillah I'm fasting and performing my saalat daily. I asked as I know someone is doing this. They know they should be praying and are able to pray but have not prayed in so long and so got into a bad habit which they can't seem to break. But they choose to fast everyday.

Everything everyone has said makes perfect sense. I personally believe and feel that without prayer your fasting should not count. After all women cannot fast when their on their cycle. Why is this? Surely it's because you cannot pray if your unclean and if you cannot pray then you cannot fast. The two go hand in hand.

May Allah accept all your good deeds this month..