Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Maisam Haider

Standing in taraweeh with personal intention

Rate this topic

Better still, stand in prayer in the comfort of your own home where people aren't going to take swipes at you and glare at you for not being 'one of their own'. Why be involved in taraweeh and make yourself a target to people's ignorant attitude? 

1 hour ago, Maisam Haider said:

Salam

Is it permissible for a Shia to stand in a Sunni congregation reading taraweeh, while the Shia makes his own intention and reads some other mustshib prayer (not taraweeh) ? 

It’s completely innovation even listening to their Qur'an recitation is forbidden for Shia Muslims because it’s a type of verifying innovation in Principle of religion & listening or any type of participating in it is a great sin .

That awkward moment when...

"Siraatal-lazeena an'amta 'alaihim ghayril-maghdoobi 'alaihim wa lad-daaalleen...

AaAmMeEeEeEeEeEeEeEeN"

1zca19.jpg

Edited by aaaz1618

3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

It’s completely innovation even listening to their Qur'an recitation is forbidden for Shia Muslims because it’s a type of verifying innovation in Principle of religion & listening or any type of participating in it is a great sin .

I do not know what the fiqh rule is for taraweeh; it might possibly be prohibited. However praying with Sunnis in congregation even in their mosques is recommended according to Syed Sistani for the sake of unity. Taraweeh may be an exception. But to say that listening to their Qur'an recitation is also prohibited is clearly wrong. 

3 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

Smooth! That'll silence a few Imams.

Lol its coz after ameen it's pin drop silence and suddenly the Sunni Imam starts reciting another surah. I make use of that moment when everyone is busy reciting 'ameen'. Alternatively you can say "alhumdulillahi rabil aalmiin" after, it as it's mustahab I think (confirm this).

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

1 minute ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Lol its coz after ameen it's pin drop silence and suddenly the Sunni Imam starts reciting another surah. I make use of that moment when everyone is busy reciting 'ameen'. Alternatively you can say "alhumdulillahi rabil aalmiin" after, it as it's mustahab I think (confirm this).

Yes, I believe the silence was so that people could recite Al Fatiha. Though many maddhabs hold that one should remain silent during the recitation, some say that it isn't valid unless you recite silently.

7 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Went to salatul isha at my local the other day, was of course full to the brim. Brought my small khumra mat. Prayed with congregation, then after dhikr did my nafilah whilst seated, then dipped.

Fair play for going. I pray in congregation once maybe every half a year and when I do I join the back rows and leave as soon as it concludes. I haven't been to jummah since last Eid. Haven't been to taraweeh in 4-5 years. Not my idea of fun.

Just now, aaaz1618 said:

Haven't been to taraweeh in 4-5 years. Not my idea of fun.

Yeah must be about 8 years since I went as I switched sides around 7 years ago.

Could be speaking for myself, but after a while your mind wanders and you get distracted.

I just see it a little oppressive to yourself if being honest, and after a while you are just going with the motions.

At the Shia centre, they instead collectively read a juz a day, followed by dua then a lecture.

I find it more spiritual and beneficial.

I was invited by a Sunni colleague for iftar at his home. I was the only Shia there and there were couple of Sunnis. They had a short snack for iftar and then had maghrib prayer; then they decided to have proper dinner only after returning from taraweeh. I declined to go to for taraweeh but they insisted and in a way forced me to go with them. Unwilling I stood with them in jamaat but did my own niyyut (intention) for forada prayer. After a few rakaats, I slipped away and went out of the mosque.

I highly regret going for taraweeh because it is a biddah. I later asked several scholars and all said that it strongly prohibited to attend taraweeh. I feel regretful for this and wish I had somehow managed to escape before they could force me.

May the ever lasting curse of Allah be on the one who started this biddah. 

Edited by Maisam Haider