Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Certain Questions

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salaam all,

Ive posted briefly before, but a while back now. Ive been a revert to Islam for about 4 years now, I was sort of shown everything I know now by close friends etc who are all Sunni. For a while ive been looking into the history of Islam because I was quite shocked after hearing about certain incidents like Karbala, siffin etc and not being aware of any of it in detail. After looking into it all, ive drawn closer to the Shia view. I do have a couple questions that I have been thinking about & Insha'Allah I can get some answers here.

Firstly, after learning about the Prophets ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) & his family) final sermon, I feel its quite clear that Ali (عليه السلام) was shown & told to the mass as the successor. After it was usurped based on this school of thought & the caliphate went to others first my question is; If this was not right & was essentially going to change Islam dramatically why would Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) allow this to happen? Im saying this based on the Qur'an 5:67 where we can tell the message is so important that if it was not mentioned the mission would not have been fulfilled & proclaimed. Why would Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) allow such an important message (im feeling it was the message of appointing Imam Ali (عليه السلام) as succesor) be somewhat voided/tainted by the usurped positions taken instead.

Secondly,

This point is about Teraweeh.. As it is Ramadan & most of my friends are Sunni, all of which attend Teraweeh, ive come to know that from a Shia perspective, this is a Bidah. Ive heard that it was started during the caliphate of Umar. If this is the case, when Imam Ali eventually become the caliph, did he openly reject it as a bidah? Or actively seek its removal from the deen? Because if not, it makes me wonder why not.

Just like to add that these are genuine questions & im not looking for a debate etc.. Purely to seek opinions & gain some knowledge Insha'Allah.

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, Yahyayu said:

Salaam all,

Ive posted briefly before, but a while back now. Ive been a revert to Islam for about 4 years now, I was sort of shown everything I know now by close friends etc who are all Sunni. For a while ive been looking into the history of Islam because I was quite shocked after hearing about certain incidents like Karbala, siffin etc and not being aware of any of it in detail. After looking into it all, ive drawn closer to the Shia view. I do have a couple questions that I have been thinking about & Insha'Allah I can get some answers here.

Firstly, after learning about the Prophets ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) & his family) final sermon, I feel its quite clear that Ali (عليه السلام) was shown & told to the mass as the successor. After it was usurped based on this school of thought & the caliphate went to others first my question is; If this was not right & was essentially going to change Islam dramatically why would Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) allow this to happen? Im saying this based on the Qur'an 5:67 where we can tell the message is so important that if it was not mentioned the mission would not have been fulfilled & proclaimed. Why would Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) allow such an important message (im feeling it was the message of appointing Imam Ali (عليه السلام) as succesor) be somewhat voided/tainted by the usurped positions taken instead.

Wa aleykumsalaam,

First of all, Congratulation for accepting Islam as your religion, you are always welcome here in this forum, we have got very knowledgeable brothers and sisters in here, Inshallah you can clear all your doubts and questions. May Allah guide us all and keep us on straight path.

Coming back to your questions, As being a Muslim one should never doubt Allah's decision as he is the best of planners, he has knowledge of unseen, since we can never reach his knowledge, we cannot question or judge of what Allah do. We have hadeeth in which similar question is answered by our Imam, a person asked "How Allah can overpower his enemies instead of his friends?" have a look at this hadeeth for the Answer.

Narrated to us Muhammad bin Ibrahim bin Ishaq Taliqani ((رضي الله عنه).) that:

“I was in the company of Shaykh Abul Qasim Hussain Ibne Rauh (q.s.) with a group of people including Ali bin Isa Qasri when a man stood up and said: ‘I wish to pose some questions to you.’ He (Ibne Rauh) replied, ‘You may ask.’ He asked, ‘Please tell me if Hussain ((عليه السلام).) is the Wali (saint) of Allah?’ He replied at once, ‘Yes.’ He asked, ‘Is it possible for Allah to give power to His enemy over this friend?’ Hussain bin Rauh said, “Pay attention to what I am saying and remember it. 

The wisdom of the Almighty was such that the Prophets, though they possessed the miracles sometimes they achieved victories and sometimes they suffered defeat. If they had always been victorious and had never suffered defeat and calamities the people would have mistaken them for being God and considered them all-powerful. Thus the Prophets, despite their miracles were sometimes victorious and successful and sometimes vanquished, therefore the people did not perceive them to be omnipotent and realized that there was a power above the Prophets Who is the creator and Nourisher of the Universe? They were compelled to confess to Him and obey His Prophets, who are the proofs of Allah over the people. Anyone who saw their propagation, warnings and signs decided and confessed that it was truth and worth obedience. In this way they secured their salvation and those who deviated from this and became inimical to the divine messengers fell into everlasting chastisement. So: that he who would perish might perish by clear proof, and he who would live might live by clear proof.’”

Muhammad bin Ibrahim bin Ishaq says that the reply of Hussain bin Rauh was so astonishing that the next day he went to him to ask him whether it was his own reply or he had learnt it from the Infallible Imam ((عليه السلام).). Hussain bin Rauh told him: “O Muhammad bin Ibrahim! I never say anything on my own even in the most difficult circumstances. Rather the source of all the things is from the favors I have received from the Proof of Allah and heard from him...”

Source: Kamaluddin by Shaykh Saduq.

Now coming to your second question:

19 hours ago, Yahyayu said:

Secondly,

This point is about Teraweeh.. As it is Ramadan & most of my friends are Sunni, all of which attend Teraweeh, ive come to know that from a Shia perspective, this is a Bidah. Ive heard that it was started during the caliphate of Umar. If this is the case, when Imam Ali eventually become the caliph, did he openly reject it as a bidah? Or actively seek its removal from the deen? Because if not, it makes me wonder why not.

Yes, He did try to stop people from praying Taraweeh in the month of Ramadan, but instead of obeying they started to protest, after this Imam Ali (عليه السلام) left them at their own selves

`Alī bin al-Ḥasan bin Faḍāl from Aḥmad bin al-Ḥasan from `Amr bin Sa`d al-Mada’ini from Muṣaddiq bin Ṣadaqah from `Ammār from Abū `Abdullāh. He said:

I asked him about Ṣalāt during the month of Ramadan in the al-Masjids. So he said: When Amīr al-Mu’minīn came to al-Kūfah, he commanded al-Ḥasan bin `Alī to call to the people: There is no Ṣalāt during the month of Ramadan in the al-Masjids in jama`a. So al-Ḥasan bin `Alī called to the people by what Amīr al-Mu’minīn had commanded him to. So when the people heard the saying of al-Ḥasan bin `Alī, they shouted: O `Umar! O `Umar! So when al-Ḥasan returned to Amīr al-Mu’minīn he said to him: What is this sound? He said: O Amīr al-Mu’minīn, the people are shouting: O `Umar! O `Umar! So Amīr al-Mu’minīn said: Say to them: Pray.

Source: Tahdhib al-Ahkaam by Shaykh Toosi, Vol 3, pg 70, H 30