Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Bakir

Fasting and anxiety

Recommended Posts

I don't usually talk about it as much as I should, but I suffer from anxiety. It sometimes comes as a simple yet long disgusting feeling, and sometimes like my heart wants to explode along severe dizziness. It appeared due to family and professional traumas and I do take care of it by going to psychologist and taking a pill when it becomes unbearable. I know the causes of these effects are virtually fake, but the effects themselves are there, maybe not caused by anything real but still harming me.

Fasting somehow breaks my routine and I fear it may be causing me to feel worse. I have also recently stopped taking any pills when feeling bad, in order to learn healthier alternatives to control anxiety. So I am honestly confused why my anxiety is becoming more common and severe. Could it be fasting or is it because of cutting off pills. I rarely made use of those pills, and I have always felt they are very soft, so I'm not sure. Anyone else suffering from anxiety due to the routine change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey brother, I pray that you feel well inshallah.  I don’t have anxiety or depression hamdulillah, But I highly recommend you to consult your doctor before stopping your medication. I know some people who have depression or anxiety, they can’t do anything without their pills. 

For example my dad, he has a depression. He can’t sleep without talking his pills, same thing when he wake up. His pills plus coffee is everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were you taking the medication continuously, or just when anxious? If continuously, you need to taper them out rather than stop abruptly. 

The fasting may make you feel agitated, certain vitamins, nutrition etc reduce anxiety. Routine change will have an effect too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ron_Burgundy said:

Remember Allah and is Qadir on everything so whatever you are anxious about will be alright. 

That's the thing, I'm no longer reasonably worried about anything. Like I know I should be alright because thanks to God I have no real problem in my life, nothing to reasonably complain about. Anxiety for me is like a footprint.

I don't take pills usually. Doctor told me to take them only if I felt especially bad. These are addictive drugs as well that may result in some dependence. I fear I may be suffering from some developed need for them, but I'm really uncertain, because I stopped taking them along the routine change that comes with fasting.

I will see my doctor next monday, but today... It's been especially bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bakir said:

I do take care of it by going to psychologist and taking a pill when it becomes unbearable

Are you supposed to be taking the meds daily? 

4 hours ago, Bakir said:

I have also recently stopped taking any pills when feeling bad, in order to learn healthier alternatives to control anxiety.

Did you tell your Dr.. that you are doing this?

4 hours ago, Bakir said:

I am honestly confused why my anxiety is becoming more common and severe. Could it be fasting or is it because of cutting off pills.

From cutting off your pills. The whole purpose of the meds is to prevent your anxiety attacks from happening.

4 hours ago, Bakir said:

I rarely made use of those pills, and I have always felt they are very soft, so I'm not sure.

Have you discussed this with your Dr..? Have you told your Dr.. that you think they are "soft", so you can be prescribed a different med at a different dosage?

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you're taking your meds PRN (as and when)? If you feel medication is the best option you should speak to your doctor about putting you on a milder benzodiazipine but per day instead of as PRN. They typically prescribe Lorazepam or Diazepam.

There are alternatives, things that contain Valerian, a type of plant. Or you can, if you have a Chinese doctor take certain tablets that are for anxiety. Chinese medicine works at detoxing the liver, spleen and kidneys as these get blocked with toxins that then carry around the blood. However, any proper Chinese doctor will require a conventional diagnosis, if they don't ask for one, assume they are not legitimate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so sorry to hear about you dealing with anxiety, Bakir. Im glad you wrote a thread about it. I’m sure it must have been super nerve-wracking, but know that you have people who empathize and understand what you’re feeling on ShiaChat.

As someone who has had heart-pounding (feels like my heart’s going to explode) anxiety in the past, I would say to start meditating. Meditation and even adult coloring books have really helped me heal from a lot of crap and trauma, as well as talking about my feelings with someone I trust (usually it’s my husband) than bottling it up. (I had a really bad habit of bottling up my emotions and feelings, which caused my health to deteriorate.)

I no longer take anti-anxiety meds, but they did help me become stable and by the help of my doctor I’ve tapered off and eventually function without them. I no longer have anxiety, and I would would recommend:

— Finding an excellent and accessible support system. Friends and family who care for your feelings and help you when any symptoms arise.

— talk about anxiety and identity what exactly makes you anxious in that particular moment

— breathe in for 3, out for 3, and repeat

— meditate, mediate, mediate

— eat nutritious foods

 

before attempting to wean off the medication. Also, make sure your anti-anxiety meds aren’t “flat-lining” your emotions or making you overly sleepy/foggy/disoriented. I would ask your doctor what part of the meds the brain activates. If it’s the part where the same parts of your brain light up where alcohol does, I would consider switching but only do so with the guidance of your doctor. 

Also, don’t be afraid to tell your doctor you want to wean off the meds. Remember, your doctor is working for you, not the other way around. A good doctor will be supportive of you trying natural, holistic alternatives to treat your anxiety. It’s worth a try. 

As to why your anxiety is getting worse: it might be because of fasting and the change in routine.  perhaps you might be eligible for skipping Ramadan until you are feeling better.

As for myself, I get anxious sometimes during stressful situations and overworking myself. Fasting for me is an anxiety-killer, oddly enough.

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I’m so sorry to hear about you dealing with anxiety, Bakir. Im glad you wrote a thread about it. I’m sure it must have been super nerve-wracking, but know that you have people who empathize and understand what you’re feeling on ShiaChat.

As someone who has had heart-pounding (feels like my heart’s going to explode) anxiety in the past, I would say to start meditating. Meditation and even adult coloring books have really helped me heal from a lot of crap and trauma, as well as talking about my feelings with someone I trust (usually it’s my husband) than bottling it up. (I had a really bad habit of bottling up my emotions and feelings, which caused my health to deteriorate.)

I no longer take anti-anxiety meds, but they did help me become stable and by the help of my doctor I’ve tapered off and eventually function without them. I no longer have anxiety, and I would would recommend:

— Finding an excellent and accessible support system. Friends and family who care for your feelings and help you when any symptoms arise.

— talk about anxiety and identity what exactly makes you anxious in that particular moment

— breathe in for 3, out for 3, and repeat

— meditate, mediate, mediate

— eat nutritious foods

 

before attempting to wean off the medication. Also, make sure your anti-anxiety meds aren’t “flat-lining” your emotions or making you overly sleepy/foggy/disoriented. I would ask your doctor what part of the meds the brain activates. If it’s the part where the same parts of your brain light up where alcohol does, I would consider switching but only do so with the guidance of your doctor. 

Also, don’t be afraid to tell your doctor you want to wean off the meds. Remember, your doctor is working for you, not the other way around. A good doctor will be supportive of you trying natural, holistic alternatives to treat your anxiety. It’s worth a try. 

As to why your anxiety is getting worse: it might be because of fasting and the change in routine.  perhaps you might be eligible for skipping Ramadan until you are feeling better.

As for myself, I get anxious sometimes during stressful situations and overworking myself. Fasting for me is an anxiety-killer, oddly enough.

Thanks a lot, very helpful post. I'm on Lorazepam, I don't feel sleepy but it does make me sleep a lot. My doctor wanted to give me some audios to start taling care of anxiety without the need for pills, but the last session I didn't have a pendrive to get them.

I will take your advice though, to see if I get better. Will meditate and talk more with friends and family. As for fasting, I believe I will stop it during the days I feel especially bad, as I believe it may be contributing to these feelings. Thank you for your support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have decided to stop fasting as well as controlling all types of stimulants. It has just got way worse, and maybe I'm learning to accept that my anxiety levels are, in fact, high. Lately been suffering from nightmare, severe dizziness, feeling like I'm going to faint, dry mouth, as well as an important level of social anxiety. This all is so contrary to how I identify myself (generally a happy, active and peaceful person). But I'm overthinking everything, having extremely negative feelings, and feeling dumb, like really dumb. It's so terrible to be conscious of such self-degradation, for things that are not even real nor I can identify. Really feeling lost on what to do...

Today I also felt like crying, somehow because of anxiety but also because I'm conscious of all of this...

Edited by Bakir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bakir said:

I have decided to stop fasting as well as controlling all types of stimulants. It has just got way worse, and maybe I'm learning to accept that my anxiety levels are, in fact, high. Lately been suffering from nightmare, severe dizziness, feeling like I'm going to faint, dry mouth, as well as an important level of social anxiety. This all is so contrary to how I identify myself (generally a happy, active and peaceful person). But I'm overthinking everything, having extremely negative feelings, and feeling dumb, like really dumb. It's so terrible to be conscious of such self-degradation, for things that are not even real nor I can identify. Really feeling lost on what to do...

Give yourself the chance to get better again. Insha'Allah He accepts the fasts you have done and blesses you for them, grants you the health to recover and allows you the time to make up for any fasts you may miss.

Keep strong, ride the wave, the waters will calm eventually.

Edited by aaaz1618

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 2:22 AM, Bakir said:

I have decided to stop fasting as well as controlling all types of stimulants. It has just got way worse, and maybe I'm learning to accept that my anxiety levels are, in fact, high. Lately been suffering from nightmare, severe dizziness, feeling like I'm going to faint, dry mouth, as well as an important level of social anxiety. This all is so contrary to how I identify myself (generally a happy, active and peaceful person). But I'm overthinking everything, having extremely negative feelings, and feeling dumb, like really dumb. It's so terrible to be conscious of such self-degradation, for things that are not even real nor I can identify. Really feeling lost on what to do...

Today I also felt like crying, somehow because of anxiety but also because I'm conscious of all of this...

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Brother Bakir

Recite Du32 al Mujeer tonight brother.

Ask Allah with a broken heart to allow you to fast again.

Don't make this a habit and allow yourself to think you can't.  Change your thinking perception and Insh'Allah with your weapon as du32 and your a3mail, you will continue with fasting.

You can do this!  Intercede to Ahulbayt, especially Sayyida Fatima az Zahra and plead to give you strength and right frame of mind to continue fasting.

You need to explain your situation to a 3alim and see if this is a reason to stop fasting.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Laayla. Indeed. Yesterday was the first day in weeks I have felt genuinely happy/stable and in peace.

Already asked about my case and its okay. I have to do an effort to fast again, but not putting a burden on myself more than a sincere desire to fast, because anxiety can easily be triggered. Thank you for your words, I will make sure to do dua tonight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 7:22 PM, Bakir said:

I have decided to stop fasting as well as controlling all types of stimulants. It has just got way worse, and maybe I'm learning to accept that my anxiety levels are, in fact, high. Lately been suffering from nightmare, severe dizziness, feeling like I'm going to faint, dry mouth, as well as an important level of social anxiety. This all is so contrary to how I identify myself (generally a happy, active and peaceful person). But I'm overthinking everything, having extremely negative feelings, and feeling dumb, like really dumb. It's so terrible to be conscious of such self-degradation, for things that are not even real nor I can identify. Really feeling lost on what to do...

Today I also felt like crying, somehow because of anxiety but also because I'm conscious of all of this...

 

Salam walaikum 

I used to also have anxiety years ago but never got any professional help as I feared the stigma of anyone knowing. Alhamdolillah I can say I have solid control over it now and it hasn’t been an issue in my life for many many years. All I did was practice deep breathing to slow down my heart rate and relax the mind and body. also did meditations to strengthen my ability to focus and silence the mind and everything changed drastically as I found the ability to control feelings and thoughts Alhamdolillah. Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Syed.Dynasty said:

 

Salam walaikum 

I used to also have anxiety years ago but never got any professional help as I feared the stigma of anyone knowing. Alhamdolillah I can say I have solid control over it now and it hasn’t been an issue in my life for many many years. All I did was practice deep breathing to slow down my heart rate and relax the mind and body. also did meditations to strengthen my ability to focus and silence the mind and everything changed drastically as I found the ability to control feelings and thoughts Alhamdolillah. Hope this helps.

Definitely. I'm noticing the importance of taking care of yourself, both physically and mentally. I couldnt care less about my health, so anxiety, in some way, has been a good encouragement to start. I'm happy to read that time and exercises do help in overcoming it. One of the main fears I had is to bear these feelings forever :S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 12:04 PM, Bakir said:

Definitely. I'm noticing the importance of taking care of yourself, both physically and mentally. I couldnt care less about my health, so anxiety, in some way, has been a good encouragement to start. I'm happy to read that time and exercises do help in overcoming it. One of the main fears I had is to bear these feelings forever :S.

Salam walaikum

Don’t worry brother never despair, Allah will give the ability to help yourself always. Once you silence the mind and strengthen your ability to focus it all goes away and you will start to see everything differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...