Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest de trout

Share Your Muslim Life-hacks

Rate this topic

Guest de trout

I'll start:

When a cashier of the opposite gender gives me my change, I avoid touching their hands by having them put the change and receipt in the bag. They'll have the money in hand, extended to me so I can grab it, but I hold open the bag and say "You can put it in here", followed by thanks and "take care/have a nice day". 

I also use this trick to help me pray when I'm bummed out https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/smiling-can-trick-your-brain-happiness-boost-your-health-ncna822591

Guest Unity

I have a bottle for bthrm and turbah for praying with myself all the time.

I put toilet paper inside the toilet before using that, so that water doesnt bounce or splash

Guest de trout

Your feet have to be dry before wiping them during Wudhu, so I wear slippers to avoid getting water on them.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:36 PM, Sirius_Bright said:

How would you do that for any xyz company?

- You can ask the HR after the final interview. You can start by asking if there is any nearby masjid to pray during break. Then move on to ask if you can pray in some unused space, as it will save time.

- If the organisation employs a large number of people and is generally not known to favor right-wingers, you can be almost sure that its Muslim employees would have found a place and permission to pray.

- You can try to search and connect with any of its Muslim employee on linkedin and ask them. 

-----

Some more tips - 

When in a Sunni Masjid, I would suggest not to pray Qunut and keep your hands close to the body and try to find a masjid with wooden mats (No need for a separate Sajdagah). All this to avoid unnecessary stares.

Edited by alisayyed

Guest de trout
On 5/18/2019 at 11:36 AM, alisayyed said:

Some more tips - 

When in a Sunni Masjid, I would suggest not to pray Qunut and keep your hands close to the body and try to find a masjid with wooden mats (No need for a separate Sajdagah). All this to avoid unnecessary stares.

Ideally, is it better to just pray normally? 

On 5/19/2019 at 4:10 AM, realizm said:

:salam:

Never leave the house without wudhu.

Thank you for the reminder. I would like to add that never be without wudhu. Every time you use the restroom refresh your wudhu, it takes less than 60 seconds and you would be in a state of spiritual purity all day and night.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:10 PM, Guest Prayer said:

Do dhikr whenever you are free.

Or when you're in a queue. 

18 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

Best way to avoid shaking hand with a non-mahram? Simple. Pretend to sneeze. Very useful where I live. 

Nah, man. Best way to avoid handshakes with non-mehram is two:

1. Always be busy when the meeting starts. When you are introduced, raise your hand in greeting or nod politely depending on your distance from the person being introduced. (As a bonus, you'll look important!)

2. Don't shake anyone's hand. If you shake men's hands but not women's (or the reverse) someone is going to misinterpret and be offended. It's just a matter of time.

Also helps an awful lot to tell your supervisor that you don't shake hands. He's unlikely to intentionally put you in uncomfortable situations. 

The sneeze fake works once per meeting at best. 

Most importantly, never, ever be rude when offered a handshake. If you find yourself in a situation where you can't politely avoid touching, just take the hand. Usually (maybe always) you can avoid it. 

Edited by notme

17 minutes ago, notme said:

1. Always be busy when the meeting starts. When you are introduced, raise your hand in greeting or nod politely depending on your distance from the person being introduced. (As a bonus, you'll look important!)

2. Don't shake anyone's hand. If you shake men's hands but not women's (or the reverse) someone is going to misinterpret and be offended. It's just a matter of time.

Also helps an awful lot to tell your supervisor that you don't shake hands. He's unlikely to intentionally put you in uncomfortable situations. 

Most importantly, never, ever be rude when offered a handshake. If you find yourself in a situation where you can't politely avoid touching, just take the hand. Usually (maybe always) you can avoid it. 

????? Just say you don’t want to handshake with them, What’s the big deal?

43 minutes ago, notme said:

Lol, I was talking about just in general, people in my country are very sociable and sometimes it's disrespectful not to shake hands in certain everyday one off situations. 

But your tips are VERY helpful for the workplace or school where you'll be going there on a daily basis.... 

6 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

Lol, I was talking about just in general, people in my country are very sociable and sometimes it's disrespectful not to shake hands in certain everyday one off situations. 

But your tips are VERY helpful for the workplace or school where you'll be going there on a daily basis.... 

I've never been offered a handshake outside of work, except when being introduced to someone. 

19 minutes ago, notme said:

I've never been offered a handshake outside of work, except when being introduced to someone. 

I guess it must be where I live... 

5 hours ago, starlight said:

Thank you for the reminder. I would like to add that never be without wudhu. Every time you use the restroom refresh your wudhu, it takes less than 60 seconds and you would be in a state of spiritual purity all day and night.

:salam:

So true sister. Once you get the habit, it almost feels weird to be without wudu.

Try and do wudhu everytime you go to the toilet.

Eat yellow daal to soften the heart if you find it difficult to cry for Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام)

You can use miswaak instead of gum after meals. It cleans your teeth and leaves your mouth smelling amazing and the smelling effect lasts longer than gum. Pair that with some oud or attar and you will smell amazing overall. 

On 5/5/2019 at 9:04 PM, Guest de trout said:

I'll start:

When a cashier of the opposite gender gives me my change, I avoid touching their hands by having them put the change and receipt in the bag. They'll have the money in hand, extended to me so I can grab it, but I hold open the bag and say "You can put it in here", followed by thanks and "take care/have a nice day". 

I also use this trick to help me pray when I'm bummed out https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/smiling-can-trick-your-brain-happiness-boost-your-health-ncna822591

eat little and go to toilet before you go outside, it will help you not to run for toilet if you cannot find one. :grin:

Guest Guest of Gold

Wear a white hijab in the summer and a black one in the winter. 

Use a miswaak before prayers. It is HIGHLY recommended and it keeps your teeth clean, white and smelling good. There's a hadith I read that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a was informed by gabreal so much about using the miswaak that he thought it would be wajib.

Probably a mustahab rulling but I'll put it here anyway. When fasting in ramadhan. FIRST pray maghrib and isha and then AFTERWARDS break fast firstly with a date. It multiplies the reward of your prayers by 400 times.

Edited by aaljibar

Guest quest

If you don't feel like making wudhu and praying, just do wudhu then and pray later, they don't have to be done together back to back.