Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
vivi17

How far from home do you have to be for it to be permissible to break your fast?

Salaam, 

I have a school trip upcoming to a theme park, and although I do not mind fasting on that day, I am slightly worried about the risk of feeling dizzy, sick or even fainting after going on several roller coasters whilst fasting. I have heard that there is a fetwa that it is permissible to break your fast if you are travelling to somewhere over 22km from your home. Since the distance to the theme park is around 30km or so, would I be allowed to break it for that day or should I continue fasting to play it safe?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

44 km round-trip from the boundary of your city.

But if the travel is undertaken after the time of zuhr, you should continue your fast, or if you will return home before the time of zuhr, you should fast. 

You should check with your marja, but it's around ~40 kilometers, and it must be something out of your routine (if your school, university or workplace is 40km away, you have to fast anyway).

A school trip is not part of your routine I guess.

You should keep your fast until you feel dizzy. There is no preventive fast break in such case. If you go to a theme park, you will probably end up extremely thirsty though hahah. Take care of yourself and drink water/sugar as soon as you feel bad/dizzy.

Edited by Bakir

Salam there is a quote from Imam Ali (عليه السلام) that says " don't travel to places that you feel stops you from doing your  prayers (& fasting) "  & this is an unnecessary travel that may stops your fasting , it's better that you don't go to that theme park & do your fasting.

As salaamun aleikum,

My friend from childhood is getting married next friday. Her town is 15 miles in one direction away from my towns boundary, so 30 miles round trip. 

I believe the ceremony is at 1:30, which is about 23 mins after dhuur, so not enough time to pray befor I leave home. I will most likely need to leave home about 12:45 to make sure I get there on time.

Is this a legit reason to break my fast?

I know one of the things that determines whether you can break your fast or not is whether the event you are going to is one that is necessary, or one that is for joy and not necessary.

A couple years ago, my friends took the day off of fasting just so they could drive to the beach and spend the day there. At the time, I did my research around that particular incident, and the answer that I arrived at was no, it was not a legitimate reason for them to break their fast, therefore making them responsible for 2 months of continuous fasting and I think some other Islamic penalties on top of that, which they did not fullfill..

I don't want me or anyone else to end up in that situation.

W/s

On 5/7/2019 at 6:00 PM, Shia farm girl said:

Her town is 15 miles in one direction away from my towns boundary, so 30 miles round trip

44 km is 27 miles, so it's just barely far enough. Depending on how close you are with this friend, attending her wedding might be necessary. If she's an acquaintance, it's probably not, but if your absence would hurt her feelings you should go. 

1 hour ago, Shia farm girl said:

I know one of the things that determines whether you can break your fast or not is whether the event you are going to is one that is necessary, or one that is for joy and not necessary.

No it doesn't matter at all, even if you go for fun, you still have to break your fast.

Only if someone goes to do harram; that's when you have to fast.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

7 hours ago, Shia farm girl said:

I believe the ceremony is at 1:30, which is about 23 mins after dhuur, so not enough time to pray befor I leave home. I will most likely need to leave home about 12:45 to make sure I get there on time.

Salam you only can break the fasting if you leave 28 miles of border of your city  before Dhuhr ,if you pass more 28 miles before Dhuhr time you can break your fast but if you pass 28 miles after Dhuhr time you must continue your fasting & you must do it's Qaza after month of Ramadan until next Ramadan .

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

23 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

No it doesn't matter at all, even if you go for fun, you still have to break your fast.

Only if someone goes to do harram; that's when you have to fast.

Salam brother,

Sorry, I worded that incotrectly.  To state it more precisely,  if a person chooses to go on a trip that isnt necessarry but is just for fun, I was under the impression that they not only have to make up the missed fast but also fast for 2 consecutive months as well as pay fidya, whereas if it was for work or some other legitimate and necesary reason, all they would need to do is make up the 1 missed fast later in the year.

I could be completely wrong about this, so please correct me if I am.

Your right, though, the person still has to break their fast as jurisprudentially, they are not allowed to keep it once they travel beyond a certain distance regardless of the reason. Im more focused on the legitimacy of people taking pleasure/vacation trips in the month of Ramadhan as if it was any ol month of the year as opposed to respecting the sanctity and religious duties and observations that come with  this month. 

The OP may be able to justify their trip due to it being a school function as it is an end of the school year reward which may be considered a more legitimate reason than if he just randomly chose to take a day off of fasting on his own accord to go to an amusement park durring the month of Ramadhan for no other reason than "he just felt like it"...

Lol, sometimes I really struggle at clarifying myself well..please forgive me.

W/s

On 5/5/2019 at 4:04 PM, vivi17 said:

Salaam, 

I have a school trip upcoming to a theme park, and although I do not mind fasting on that day, I am slightly worried about the risk of feeling dizzy, sick or even fainting after going on several roller coasters whilst fasting. I have heard that there is a fetwa that it is permissible to break your fast if you are travelling to somewhere over 22km from your home. Since the distance to the theme park is around 30km or so, would I be allowed to break it for that day or should I continue fasting to play it safe?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

As it is Ramadhan, I believe it would be sinful to travel to a place for leisure where there is free mixing and uncovered women in skimpy clothes at the expense of fasting. Either fast and go (which could be sinful still albeit less), or fast but don't go (which is safest) is my advice .

Edited by Ar.alhindi

On 5/5/2019 at 12:33 PM, notme said:

44 km round-trip from the boundary of your city.

But if the travel is undertaken after the time of zuhr, you should continue your fast, or if you will return home before the time of zuhr, you should fast. 

I have a related question. 

If you have left your home town in the morning, traveled more than 44 km, and you return home after the start of zuhr time but still in the "window" of zuhr - that is, you return home after the start of zuhr time but before maghrib time - should you continue your fast or has it been broken by travel? 

I think the fast is broken by the travel, but I'm uncertain. 

34 minutes ago, notme said:

I think the fast is broken by the travel, but I'm uncertain. 

Your conclusion is true & your fast in this condition will be broken.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:18 AM, Shia farm girl said:

The OP may be able to justify their trip due to it being a school function as it is an end of the school year reward which may be considered a more legitimate reason than if he just randomly chose to take a day off of fasting on his own accord to go to an amusement park durring the month of Ramadhan for no other reason than "he just felt like it"...

Lol, sometimes I really struggle at clarifying myself well..please forgive me.

his travel is not a sin but it’s Makruh that causes loose a great divine reward & pleasure for a day worldly entertainment that are not comparable to each other & he will have a great regret for just a limited time of fun.