Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

On 5/2/2019 at 11:29 AM, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

When it comes to combining prayers, I fully accept it is permissable and I get it. I too do so. But I also like to space them out and pray separately. It is a shame how many Shia almost dogmatically pray 3 times, even watching live prayers from Najaf and Karbala they do so. It is permitted yes, but not wajib. I wish our mosques and centres would switch it up sometimes as a reminder that it is superior to do them separately, if not a more consistent Sunnah of the Prophet and Imams as. A typical Shia prayer timetable, be it a mosque website or app, only shows 3 prayer times. I have to go to a website which mentions all 5 according to Jafari madhab to find out the times, again this is a shame as some of us want to know when to pray Asr or Isha specfically.

It's just becomes a habit as well as convenience given people work and need to take breaks etc. but I hear you, it would good to change it up. I suppose our Sunni brothers and sisters do it so there's no reason why we can't find the time to spread the prayers out at times.

For Ashura, I am as saddened and heart broken as anyone else, but cannot bring myself to vividly and physically express my grief, other than watery eyes. If feeling compelled out of a need to conform with others, I'll lightly tap my chest in rythmn with others, but I do not feel comfortable doing so again, maybe some Sunni influences on my part.

I never had an issue expressing my grief in terms of crying. However, there are some nights (during Muharram) that I feel I am more emotional that other nights, but I am pretty sure that is quite normal for many. I am quite a private person though, so although I will sob during masaib in the mosque, I quite like to pour my heart our in my own room after reading some sad poetry about Karbala or watching a majlis.

I remember when I first saw matam taking place in front of me, I was really taken aback. Like I had seen it in video clips etc. but I felt it was just something so different. Even when I used to attend Stanmore centre in Muharram, all the sisters would be doing matam after the lecture, I initially just stood there looking gormless. It took me a while and I eased myself into it, so I started tapping my chest and became more comfortable as time went on. I would say it took me a few years just because I wasn't able to attend every year but Alhumdulilah now I do matam by beating my chest hard with some of the others. I feel a real spiritual energy afterwards too, not to say others that do matam lightly don't, everyone has their own way of expressing that grief and we are all there for Imam Hussain ((عليه السلام)) and that's the main thing.

The concept of ghayba was something I also struggled with previously. I do believe and accept it, but naturally one gets doubts and whispers as we all do from time to time. But I do feel peace knowing that I recognise the Imam of my age.

I did too and I suppose just knowing that I've always believed in a God I can't see with my eyes, or the amazing stories of some of the other Prophets ((عليه السلام)) such as Prophet Jesus ((عليه السلام)) returning back to Earth one day helped me grasp this concept. Now, I just feel sad because I want Imam (ajtfs) to reappear! Especially when things have been really difficult, I've often thought of myself as unlucky to have been born during a time where I can't even see him ((عليه السلام)) with my own eyes, it really breaks my heart. But now I know that's why we have a more difficult test and Inshallah I do get to see him ((عليه السلام)) one day very soon, serve him and die for his cause.

I would say what I found most difficult was changing my prayers. Now when I look back, I think most of these changes are minor, but back then it was something pretty big for me. Just knowing that I was praying the way the Prophet and his family (عليه السلام) prayed, helped me and once I took those steps and faced that fear or rather discomfort, it only became easier. 

So to conclude, maybe there are a few minor influences that remain but not any that stand out to me or that I notice.

:ws:

Edited by Heavenly_Silk
Fixed typo.

7 minutes ago, Nevsevug said:

Sorry to interrupt I’m not a former Sunni so this isn’t my place, but could you please post the link with the 5x Shia prayer times? 

http://www.qul.org.au/prayertimes

Set your location and select school of thought from the drop menu to Jafari 

On 5/3/2019 at 2:21 PM, Faruk said:

No you did a good job.

It reminds us of the fact that these discussions are useless and futile.

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) war wasn't about qabd or sadl. It was about social injustice and the rights of the Muslims being usurped by a scrupulous family.

Salam Imam Ali (عليه السلام) tried to remove these innovation from Muslim society like as Taraweeh prayer & using folded hands but even people in Kufa were get used to innovations of 3 caliphs specially Umar that raised against him in miidle of his wars also Kufa never wasn't a baston for Shias even ImamAli (عليه السلام) left alone there after losing his companions that migrated with him from Medina & he multiple time criticized weakness of people of Kufa majority people of Kufa were against Muawiah(la) but they were a complex society of Sunnis & few Shias that were a small minority with lowest support to their Imam.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:51 AM, Faruk said:

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) war wasn't about qabd or sadl. It was about social injustice and the rights of the Muslims being usurped by a scrupulous family.

Now I’m certain that you haven’t read his biography. He says in Al-Khiṣāl, by Sheikh al-Ṣaduq, page 622:

“A Muslim doesn’t fold/combine his hands in his prayer, while standing before Allah, likening [himself/prayer] to the people of kufr - meaning the Zoroastrians.”

Sheikh al-Saduq comments in the second footnote saying: “Al-Takatuf is a bid'ah (as said) by all of our jurists, and that it invalidates the prayer.”

2.jpg

You have three choices here:

1. The book’s author is a liar.
  2. You’ll stand with your brethren, and say that the holy man (that said this) is a liar.
  3. You will happily acknowledge the fact, that you’re not apart of this belief!

Choose wisely.

Furthermore, by skimming through the chronicles and the sources we’ve got, we can see that the people of Mecca and Medina used to do irsal!

That includes: Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Mughira ibn Shu'ba, Mujahid, Abdullah Ibn Omar, Abdullah Ibn Al-Zubair, Ibn Sirin, Said ibn al-Musayyib, Sa'id ibn Jubayr, Ibrahim ibn Yazid Al-Nakhai and Al-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr

And it also states, Said ibn al-Musayyib - which was one of the seven jurists of Medina, and a judge there - that he never did qabdh.

And also states that Sai'd ibn Jubayr was doing tawwaf in Hajj (as he was doing pilgrimage), and he saw a man doing qabdh, and he went and detached his hands, [until he did sadl].

It also says that the majority (of people and scholars) did sadl; and that there isn't a tradition saying that the Prophet did qabdh in the description of his prayer.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-dsfz-WOp-ZVB.j

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-s-CDfv-C6-VIRF

Edited by Simon the Canaanite

I recently stopped doing the pointed index finger during tashahud. Who or what was I ever pointing at to start with? I get people pointing to the sky, but people are essentially pointing to the Kaaba. 

Never did the finger sway/woggle though, somehow feel if you're doing whatever with your finger then part of you isn't focused on prayer.

Stopped saying ameen during prayer at least two years ago, audibly and inaudibly. Same with the two salams.

Just thought I would share that juicy information to spice the comments up a bit :thankyou:

15 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

I recently stopped doing the pointed index finger during tashahud. Who or what was I ever pointing at to start with? I get people pointing to the sky, but people are essentially pointing to the Kaaba. 

Never did the finger sway/woggle though, somehow feel if you're doing whatever with your finger then part of you isn't focused on prayer.

Stopped saying ameen during prayer at least two years ago, audibly and inaudibly. Same with the two salams.

Just thought I would share that juicy information to spice the comments up a bit :thankyou:

When that Tashayu is growing on you

giphy.gif

I too never got that wagging thing. Can also be distracting when someone next to you is doing it. Almost have the urge to snap it off :grin:

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

7 hours ago, Simon the Canaanite said:

Now I’m certain that you haven’t read his biography. He says in Al-Khiṣāl, by Sheikh al-Ṣaduq, page 622:

“A Muslim doesn’t fold/combine his hands in his prayer, while standing before Allah, likening [himself/prayer] to the people of kufr - meaning the Zoroastrians.”

Sheikh al-Saduq comments in the second footnote saying: “Al-Takatuf is a bid'ah (as said) by all of our jurists, and that it invalidates the prayer.”

2.jpg

You have three choices here:

1. The book’s author is a liar.
  2. You’ll stand with your brethren, and say that the holy man (that said this) is a liar.
  3. You will happily acknowledge the fact, that you’re not apart of this belief!

Choose wisely.

Furthermore, by skimming through the chronicles and the sources we’ve got, we can see that the people of Mecca and Medina used to do irsal!

That includes: Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Mughira ibn Shu'ba, Mujahid, Abdullah Ibn Omar, Abdullah Ibn Al-Zubair, Ibn Sirin, Said ibn al-Musayyib, Sa'id ibn Jubayr, Ibrahim ibn Yazid Al-Nakhai and Al-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr

And it also states, Said ibn al-Musayyib - which was one of the seven jurists of Medina, and a judge there - that he never did qabdh.

And also states that Sai'd ibn Jubayr was doing tawwaf in Hajj (as he was doing pilgrimage), and he saw a man doing qabdh, and he went and detached his hands, [until he did sadl].

It also says that the majority (of people and scholars) did sadl; and that there isn't a tradition saying that the Prophet did qabdh in the description of his prayer.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-dsfz-WOp-ZVB.j

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-s-CDfv-C6-VIRF

To tell you the truth I am imune to such futilities. I once was like you but later I realized Islam is much more than a matter of the position of the hands during prayer. We'll see at Judgment Day if this really matters.

I believe we should get rid of sectarian division. One is a Shia, a Sunni, a Salafi, a Sufi or whatever but not a Muslim anymore. 

We should unlock the sectarian boxes and indoctrination and bigotry.

5 minutes ago, Faruk said:

I believe we should get rid of sectarian division. One is a Shia, a Sunni, a Salafi, a Sufi or whatever but not a Muslim anymore. 

We should unlock the sectarian boxes and indoctrination and bigotry.

I understand this is well intentioned, but once you scratch the surface label of "I'm just a Muslim" what does any of this even mean?

Like whose example of performing wudu and salat are you really following?

Whose tafsir of Qur'an or gradings and understanding of hadith do you follow? Unless of course you do this yourself, or take from here and there.

I know it seems like one is complicating things by "labelling", but I don't quite get what "just a Muslim" does or how they learn about their faith and issues pertaining to haram and halal. Scholarly guidance and what have you.

12 minutes ago, Faruk said:

To tell you the truth I am imune to such futilities. I once was like you but later I realized Islam is much more than a matter of the position of the hands during prayer. We'll see at Judgment Day if this really matters.

When you make yourself like non Muslims in Mamad you will resurrect & judge with them not rest of Muslims & by folding your hand during prayer you become like as Majus & will resurrect & judge like them not Muslims. 

9 hours ago, Simon the Canaanite said:

A Muslim doesn’t fold/combine his hands in his prayer, while standing before Allah, likening [himself/prayer] to the people of kufr - meaning the Zoroastrians.”

This is a weak translation people of Kufr means hiding something with hand that at that era was saying about standing in front of others while with one hand people are hiding the other hand also Majus has more meaning than Zoroastrian that Zoroastrian a part of it not completely equal to it that Zoroastrian are consider as people of book not unbelievers.

9 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

This is a weak translation people of Kufr means hiding something with hand that at that era was saying about standing in front of others while with one hand people are hiding the other hand also Majus has more meaning than Zoroastrian that Zoroastrian a part of it not completely equal to it that Zoroastrian are consider as people of book not unbelievers.

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234979917-are-zoroastrians-people-of-the-book/?do=findComment&comment=2101482