Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

So I'm curious to know if other former Sunnis on here would describe themselves as retaining certain practises from before, or having previous Sunni influences which impact their Tashayyu. People born and raised as Shias ultimately had a different experience to us and have a certain culture you could argue or understanding how things are done, which we had to learn to embrace.

For instance, personally speaking when praying privately, I tend to omit the 2 lines about Imam Ali ((عليه السلام)) from the adhan and iqama - not because I disagree or not believe in these statements, rather because it simply is not part of the adhan or iqama. As former Sunnis can attest, there is this endeavour or striving many have to attempt to follow Islam as authentically as one can. So, if this was not at the time of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and the likes of Bilal (رضي الله عنه) did not say it, I don't feel comfortable in doing so if I'm being honest.

When it comes to combining prayers, I fully accept it is permissable and I get it. I too do so. But I also like to space them out and pray separately. It is a shame how many Shia almost dogmatically pray 3 times, even watching live prayers from Najaf and Karbala they do so. It is permitted yes, but not wajib. I wish our mosques and centres would switch it up sometimes as a reminder that it is superior to do them separately, if not a more consistent Sunnah of the Prophet and Imams as. A typical Shia prayer timetable, be it a mosque website or app, only shows 3 prayer times. I have to go to a website which mentions all 5 according to Jafari madhab to find out the times, again this is a shame as some of us want to know when to pray Asr or Isha specfically.

Praying on a turbah, yes this Earth is superior to all others but the actual Sunnah of the Prophet saw was to pray directly on Earth, or small palm leaf mat (khumra). I switch it up, sometimes I pray on turbah, other times I use my khumra, sometimes I pray in my garden, prostrating on soil. As a general question to others on here and I do not mean it in a judgemental way, but ask yourselves, when was the last time you remember prostrating on soil? It is a beautiful sensation/smell and a great reminder of our mortality. If not humbling.

For Ashura, I am as saddened and heart broken as anyone else, but cannot bring myself to vividly and physically express my grief, other than watery eyes. If feeling compelled out of a need to conform with others, I'll lightly tap my chest in rythmn with others, but I do not feel comfortable doing so again, maybe some Sunni influences on my part.

The concept of ghayba was something I also struggled with previously. I do believe and accept it, but naturally one gets doubts and whispers as we all do from time to time. But I do feel peace knowing that I recognise the Imam of my age.

I guess people forget suddenly becoming Shia and accepting wilayat of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) and the other believes does not mean you shake off or abandon, completely one's former influences or practises.

Since becoming Shia I basically feel my understanding of my deen has improved. I do not feel I converted per se, rather adopted a different, albeit more authentic madhab.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

I actually went through all sects. Even though I am not attached to a certain sect though in practice I follow mainstream Sunni fiqh. Shi'ism however showed me the elevated and divine status of Imam Ali (عليه السلام).

In creed I am not a consistent Shia nor a Sunni.

I must admit that I prefer those prayer rules that come closest to the Shia practices like the emphasis on reciting tasmiyah out loud and ommiting amin. Doing dhikr in the last or last two rakat third and fourth rakat prayers.

I believe that the sectarian diffirences are absolutized and blown out of proportion.

What bothers me are nasibism, takfirism and the headless-chicken literalism and non-Quranic scripturalism of some madahib and sects.

Also not a fan of cursing practices wether hypocritical by venerating those 'leaders' who cursed Ahl al-Bayt (عليه السلام) or directly as done by the YH circle cursing certain Sahaba and Ummul Mominin.

Edited by Faruk

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Thank you for sharing an honest, authentic, sincere aspect of your life brother.

I feel once you have a better understand or m3rafat of our Imams, you will continue to progress and change.

As for Imam Sahab az Zaman, Insh'Allah you develop a stronger relationship with him.   Pray for him, ask for his reappearance daily, recite du32 nudba or a ziyarat on his behalf.  

God remove the love of this world from our hearts.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

1 hour ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

So, if this was not at the time of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and the likes of Bilal (رضي الله عنه) did not say it, I don't feel comfortable in doing so if I'm being honest.

Since becoming Shia I basically feel my understanding of my deen has improved. I do not feel I converted per se, rather adopted a different, albeit more authentic madhab.

This is like me, except I don't ascribe to either side... But I read about a certain caliph seeing Jewish people pray the Amidah prayer and he said he liked how it was done so incorporated the hand grasping and head turning into our prayers. Even Imam Malik said that the people were ORDERED to grasp their hands and this was during said caliph's caliphate. I adopted more authentic and natural practices.

1 hour ago, Faruk said:

I am not attached to a certain sect though in practice I follow mainstream Sunni fiqh. 

In creed I am not a consistent Shia nor a Sunni.

I believe that the sectarian diffirences are absolutized and blown out of proportion.

Same here, I'm in-between I guess, which isn't an easy concept for people who are big on sectarian mentality to grasp.

11 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

This is like me, except I don't ascribe to either side... But I read about a certain caliph seeing Jewish people pray the Amidah prayer and he said he liked how it was done so incorporated the hand grasping and head turning into our prayers. Even Imam Malik said that the people were ORDERED to grasp their hands and this was during said caliph's caliphate. I adopted more authentic and natural practices.

Same here, I'm in-between I guess, which isn't an easy concept for people who are big on sectarian mentality to grasp.

I'm accused by both camps being a Shia or a Sunni. 

In truth Shia's are most tolerant and ingenious.

Edited by Faruk

10 minutes ago, aaaz1618 said:

This is like me, except I don't ascribe to either side... But I read about a certain caliph seeing Jewish people pray the Amidah prayer and he said he liked how it was done so incorporated the hand grasping and head turning into our prayers.

Not to mention with the exception of Malik who lived his entire life in al Madinah and a student of Imam al Sadiq (عليه السلام) (as was Abu Hanifah), the rest lived in the regions "opened" to Islam (or conquered), so possibly had some external influences.

Not sure if you have seen these pre-Islamic Sumerian prayer statues before:

3609f90e4947f8547469954299cc22f5.gif

8 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Not to mention with the exception of Malik who lived his entire life in al Madinah and a student of Imam al Sadiq (عليه السلام) (as was Abu Hanifah), the rest lived in the regions "opened" to Islam (or conquered), so possibly had some external influences.

Oftopic:

Originally the Hanafi and Maliki madahib are no property of Ahl as-Sunnah.

Both founders supported uprisings of Zaidi Shia Imams and the Hanafi madhab started as the madhab of the Mutazilites.

Lot of Sunni's are not aware of these developments. Let alone about Hanafi scholars who also believed IN the 12th Imam and his Occultation.

Sectarian boundaries aren't as black-white as we think when we study our history thoroughly.

Edited by Faruk

7 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Of course. Ooh no, never seen these before, how interesting. 

13 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) did both (sadl and qabd). Later on he (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) adopted sadl which became the prayer characteristic of the Shi'ites.

I believe the Nawasib attempts to get rid of Sadl in the Maliki madhab is to create clear distinctions between the physical prayer postures of Shi'ites and Sunnites.

Edited by Faruk

I am a born and raised Shia. I have always been interested in relegion but I never had the time to research much about it. Almost all my knowledge came from Majalis. This year I had a break from my studies and started some research. I tried my best to remain unbiased. I did end up dropping quite a few practices. For example, the third shahadah in iqamat/azan (interestingly though the starting point of my research was third shahadah in tashahhud), I try to split my prayers more often , I have also dropped practicing  istighatha. I think most of the Shias of my community will call me a Muqassir (which is also something I don't want to be).But this research has made me a doubtful person. And I still have many questions, that I have yet to find answers for. 

3 minutes ago, Faruk said:

Oftopic:

Originally the Hanafi and Maliki madahib are no property of Ahl as-Sunnah.

Both founders supported uprisings of Zaidi Shia Imams and the Hanafi madhab started as the madhab of the Mutazilites.

Lot of Sunni's are not aware of these developments. Let alone about Hanafi scholars who also believed IN the 12th Imam and his Occultation.

Sectarian boundaries aren't as black-white as we think when we study our history thoroughly.

Indeed, I read that Abu Hanifa was a firm supporter of Zayd himself. I never knew about the hanafi maddhab being mutazilite though.

7 minutes ago, Faruk said:

The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) did both (sadl and qabd). 

Surely this will depend on whom you ask. As whilst Ahlus Sunnah do not deny this, Shia are adamant that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and companions prayed one way. Which I'd like to believe rather than these contradictory accounts.

These Sunni madhabs gained mass following and popularity due in part to Abassid support and adoption, as it was not in their political interest for the Jafari madhab to spread, even though it predates the 4 others.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Just now, aaaz1618 said:

Indeed, I read that Abu Hanifa was a firm supporter of Zayd himself. I never knew about the hanafi maddhab being mutazilite though.

There was intense rivalry between Hanbali's and Hanafi's as well because Hanafi's were identified with qiyas, reasoning and Mutazilism while the Hanbali's were hadith literalists.

The course of history is strange. It's a pity that many scholars do not give this information so we can get a clear picture of what really happened and make a balanced conclusion.

4 minutes ago, Faruk said:

The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) did both (sadl and qabd). Later on he (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) adopted sadl which became the prayer characteristic of the Shi'ites.

I believe the Nawasib attempts to get rid of Sadl in the Maliki madhab is to create clear distinctions between the physical prayer postures of Shi'ites and Sunnites.

Yes, I think he would have done both, in fact Maliki scholars say that people would often do qabd in optional prayers (especially back then when they would pray for hours rather than minutes) to reduce the chance of their arms going numb/dead (however you want to put it). 

What most people say these days about sadl is that Imam Malik only did it because he was beaten and he was unable to bring his arms to his chest. Later students saw him do this and this is why there is some difference of opinion. I believe this to be utter nonsense mass driven by the sorts of people that say what they say about Shi'a practices. It just seems alien to me that an entire school that holds the Ahlul Bayt as their teachers would not be praying how we were told to pray 1400 years ago. While the 'orthodox' school pray like Jews and as I now know Sumerians!

7 minutes ago, Faruk said:

There was intense rivalry between Hanbali's and Hanafi's as well because Hanafi's were identified with qiyas, reasoning and Mutazilism while the Hanbali's were hadith literalists.

The course of history is strange. It's a pity that many scholars do not give this information so we can get a clear picture of what really happened and make a balanced conclusion.

I prefer mutazilism and reasoning over literalist approaches. Literalism puts human restrictions on God and God's Word. Literal approaches work for a lot of converts, usually as a form of rigidity in a once chaotic life, and good for them if it brings them peace, but it doesn't work for me.