Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Islandsandmirrors

What’s your voice type?

Rate this topic

There are three main sub categories for both women and men (in terms of voices) and within those categories, there are sub-catagories. (The sub-categories are used only in opera.)

To make it simple: 

Women:

Soprano (highest female voice. Most women are Sopranos even if they haven’t unlocked their upper range yet.) They are typically categorized by having bright voices. Some are weighty, others are light, while others are powerful enough to sustain heavy long passages and cut through a large orchestra. They prefer their mid-high, to high range of their voice. They have weak chest voices, and their low-middle is uncomfortable to sing for long periods of time.

Physical characteristics: Long to very long necks, smaller to average bone structure and rib cage. Facial bone structure may vary. 

Mezzo-Soprano

Middle range, darker voices. They are much more rare. They live in their middle voices although they have high notes like some sopranos. They have a richer, rounder tone. Weakness is sustaining high notes for longer periods of time. Some Mezzos have a distinct agility that isn’t seen in Sopranos, and is almost Soprano-sounding, while others are much more romantic and richer sounding. 

Physical characteristics: Shorter necks, typically. Larger to medium sized frame. Larger, squarer jaws. 

Contralto:

Rarest Female voice type. Androgynous tone, very masculine, and yet, still female. Deep and comfortable with chest voice and living in her low notes and its weakness is singing higher up. Typically most songs for women are too high for this voice type to sing, and would prefer to sing songs that are made in key for men. 

Physical characteristics:

Short to medium length neck, robust body and build, deeper speaking voice than the average woman. Strong, large jaws. 

Male:

Tenor—

This is a common, if not the most common, voice type for men. They have light to warm singing voices and is comfortable with higher passages. Have forced sounding chest voice, which is its main weakness.

Tall to average in height. average neck. 

Baritone:

The middle voice. Masculine sounding. Comfortable in one’s lower mid range voice. 

Longer necks than tenors. Slightly shorter in height.

Bass

Deepest male voice. Brassy sounding with extremely low notes. Very rare, to the point that many are misclassified by teachers who sometimes want to “brighten” the voice with disastrous consequences. 

Longer than average neck and smaller frame, though can be almost very tall.

I’ll start:

I’m a Soprano—a Lyric Coloratura Soprano. Opera singers who share my voice type are Roberta Peters, Natalie Dessay. 

Guest theObserver

High Tenor here, which has its ups and downs, mainly I always sound like a child no matter my age, which makes people always think that I am around 20 and not 35 which is my actual age

6 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Maybe I just don’t know enough about Islam but I was under the impression that singing Qur'an According to the Imams is haraam. It’s supposed to also represent a sign of the last days. Anyway what do I know!

At this point Kanye west might start featuring Qur'an singers from the Ummah for his Sunday Service Worship concerts. By the way I cringed before hitting play expecting to hear T Payne type auto tune, but I’m sure that will be coming soon to a theater near the ummah as well. 

Alhamdulilah May Allah have mercy on us. 

On 4/29/2019 at 8:05 PM, Islandsandmirrors said:

Baritone:

The middle voice. Masculine sounding. Comfortable in one’s lower mid range voice. 

Longer necks than tenors. Slightly shorter in height.

Yup...that's me. However, my voice changes all the time. When I used to smoke my voice was deeper.

In Ramadan, by the afternoon I start to sound like a 4 year old girl though...lol.

Guest Items
18 minutes ago, Marbles said:

I have been told it's sexy.

It is most likely deep, indicating features of your hormonal profile, authority, and deep rooted biological instincts in women to go for Alpha Male types and those who meet their features. 

On 5/6/2019 at 10:56 AM, Akbar673 said:

In Ramadan, by the afternoon I start to sound like a 4 year old 

Got me thinking of Imam Hussain AS who gave tens of khutbas on the day of Ashura while in the state of thirst and hunger for over multiple days.

There’s no day like yours Ya Hussain ....