Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
LeftCoastMom

....and then it got worse...

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^ True, but this current guy is black.

Ah ok, well as the victims were Muslims, it’ll likely be classified as mental health. But regardless, let’s hope the injured and especially the young girl is ok. 

2 minutes ago, starlight said:

Another 'poor,mentally disturbed chap' who deserves our sympathies.

An Iraq War veteran deliberately drove into a group of pedestrians because he thought some of the people were Muslim, California authorities said Friday.

Isaiah Joel Peoples, 34, faces eight counts of attempted murder for injuring eight people, including four who remain hospitalized. The most seriously injured is a 13-year-old Sunnyvale girl of South Asian descent who is in a coma with severe brain trauma.

He served our country, honorably and admirably, and he's led an otherwise blameless life," Smith said, "So there's no explanation for this other than his service, the things he saw and what happened to him mentally while serving our country

https://www.yahoo.com/news/army-vet-charged-injuring-8-people-intentional-crash-051139032.html

We all know what happened to him, he decided to kill...

An Iraq War veteran deliberately drove into a group of pedestrians because he thought some of the people were Muslim, California authorities said Friday.

Isaiah Joel Peoples, 34, faces eight counts of attempted murder for injuring eight people, including four who remain hospitalized. The most seriously injured is a 13-year-old Sunnyvale girl of South Asian descent who is in a coma with severe brain trauma.

He served our country, honorably and admirably, and he's led an otherwise blameless life," Smith said, "So there's no explanation for this other than his service, the things he saw and what happened to him mentally while serving our country

6 minutes ago, starlight said:

"So there's no explanation for this other than his service, the things he saw and what happened to him mentally while serving our country

It's strange when a white person kills it's classed as mental illness but if a brown person does it it's called terrorism and his whole families life is ruined along with it. I don’t know the state of the world since I don’t keep up with it. I'm guessing there will be retaliations from Muslims as always the viscious cycle still continues. I'm guessing it's the same as back in the days with 9/11

Edited by Murtaza1

3 minutes ago, starlight said:

My husband still thinks they're going to throw the book at him much harder than if he were white. Last time I checked they were still deciding if it was a " hate crime". Smh.

2 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Volunteered to go fight in an illegal war that had no international legitimacy just because his government told him said country was an enemy despite his government arming that same country when interests aligned. There is no honor in blindly believing your government especially when they have a history of lying. Honor is what people like Mohammed Ali did during the Vietnam war when he was ready to go to jail and said he would not go kill people halfway across the world because those people never did anything to him. 

Start crazy wars, make people crazy. I went to college with some of the recently returned Vietnam vets. It was an experience.

3 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

illegal war that had no international legitimacy just because his government told him said country was an enemy despite his government arming that same country when interests aligned. There is no honor in blindly believing your government especially when they have a history of lying.

Spot on. That's why I don't vote. I don't want blood on my hands on the day of judgment for supporting murderers in government. 

1 minute ago, Mohamed1993 said:

I know right, he signed up to go fight so arguably whatever he went through was a product of decisions he made

Believe me these white people are racist to the core, war or no war they would still be the same murderers. The fact is they know they cannot win against 1.3 billion brown people on the planet otherwise we would have seen a repeat of Hitlers gas chamber. 

I know I would murder many white people if I watched or read the news, I can't lie and I would take many white people with me. I am dealing with mental illnes because of such things but Allah subhana wa tala is my guide and I refrain from watching or reading the news. 

Edited by Murtaza1

This incident happened in the California Bay Area . Now the news says someone just shot into a synagogue down in Poway by San Diego. There are injuries. Not many details yet. You folks might want to be careful in your worship spaces.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

11 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

Believe me these white people are racist to the core, war or no war they would still be the same murderers. The fact is they know they cannot win against 1.3 billion brown people on the planet otherwise we would have seen a repeat of Hitlers gas chamber. 

I think you exaggerate too far, not all White people are “racist to the core”, in fact majority nowadays are not, that’s why you have anti-hate legislations passed in all Western countries.

However, there is a problem with growing Islamophobia in the West, something that Wahhabis and certain ruling circles fuel in order to keep the military industrial complex well and alive at the expense of millions, non-Westerners. 

7 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

I know I would murder many white people if I watched or read the news, I can't lie and I would take many white people with me. I am dealing with mental illnes because of such things but Allah subhana wa tala is my guide and I refrain from watching or reading the news. 

We don’t murder innocent people, and you should refrain from writing such statements publicly because they serve no purpose but to fuel Islamophobia. Besides, you need to cut the racism out of your head because we have many “White” ulama, many of our Imams were also fair skinned. 

24 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

I know I would murder many white people if I watched or read the news, I can't lie and I would take many white people with me. I am dealing with mental illnes because of such things but Allah subhana wa tala is my guide and I refrain watch or reading the news. 

brother not a healthy attitude. I am angry about the state of the world too, but this isn't the right way to channel that anger. 

Btw this is a brilliant article for everyone to check out; https://www.juancole.com/2019/04/American-thinking-sunnyvale.html?fbclid=IwAR0ZYwMYg1Ditl10coJfrxte_aUl57nN1eVKBko752EbwqruhgrEuaf-qxQ

47 minutes ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

I think you exaggerate too far, not all White people are “racist to the core”, in fact majority nowadays are not, that’s why you have anti-hate legislations passed in all Western countries.

25 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

brother not a healthy attitude. I am angry about the state of the world too, but this isn't the right way to channel that anger. 

I agree with both you. I am not saying that my attitude is correct because it is very false I agree. I was just being honest and seeing from the perspective if I had no religion and not being in this mental state because of my life experiences. I think ISIS and this murdering white guy are typical examples of characters I was basing my perspective on. However I don't click on links so I won't click on this one either. I didn't even click on the one posted by Starlight but went on what she wrote. Being a former actor and studying psychology I have a tendency to put myself in other people's place and see things from their perspective. 

Nobody serving on the front line should return home and not be given some sort of rehabilitation or psychological support. I don't know military protocol, but I assume soldiers are just flown home and that's that.

Perhaps it was PTSD, but the army should expect this to happen and do something before it does, if they truly care about the safety of their homeland. I guess they don't see their own pawns as being a terrorist threat to their homeland, only the pawns and rooks on the other side of the chess board.

5 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

Your problem isn't media but a lack of emotional restraint and the disease of racism. There are many other people with mental illness who don't write such dangerous statements, so don't use your illness as an excuse to be racist. 

7 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Your problem isn't media but a lack of emotional restraint and the disease of racism. There are many other people with mental illness who don't write such dangerous statements, so don't use your illness as an excuse to be racist. 

Your right but media and a supposedly funny statement somebody made here saying Christians Muslims or brown people act like triggers that incites these emotions within me. People should not write such things or share unnecessary prejudice statements or try to share such links. The effects is very strong and produces powerful neurons but I am learning to create my own triggers through adjusting my thoughts, reactions and behaviour to control my emotions and cteate better ones. I didn't even click on the link that Starlight posted but only went with what she wrote and look what happened but somebody else after that here still decided to try and show me another link to an article which I didn't click on, now you see. However I agree that racism is the core issue within me. I grew up in Belgium. Funnily enough I have a lot of love for my country because I was born there and grew up and have fond memiries growing up on tbe tourist beach resort but there also deep issues from earlier childhood when I lived in another town. However I am glad to say that I am making progress in dealing with these psychological issues through my psychology studies I recently received a top mark of distinction for my first essay on NLP Psychology mashalah. I also deal with these issues in other ways such as creating and exploring psychological profiles of characters, writing fiction, poetry and acting of course praying keep my mind set in line alhamdullilah. Interestingly they say meditation increases one of the so called happy chemicals in the brain. I hope this can help others too that are suffering in similar situations inshalah  

Edited by Murtaza1

@Gaius I. Caesar I also want to add that the mind is an amazing machine and has the ability to absorb over two million pieces of information from the environment through our senses every two seconds, this stuff sits in people's subconscious minds and influences their thinking and behaviour. I see negative long-term effects in people's behaviour because of the mass media and social.

A psychological theory claims if we suppress, ignore or misidentify our emotions it can damage our minds, we can even lose some memory, being oblivious to mainstream culture can have these effects on us and I think it has happened to me. I have been going through this struggle but we all have the power to control this process psychologically.

I would like to suggest this useful handout to anybody in a similar mental state. It telks us how to manage this process psychologically. I particularly suggest reading from pages 6-10 (especially page 10 which talks about detachment or dissociation. In my case I often talk about on Shiachat about my withdrawal from society because of the media and its effects on me, this explains it well):

https://www.moodcafe.co.United Kingdom/media/15343/ER_handout_Final_16_June_2016 pdf.pdf

Also I would like to suggest that people should not use humour in discussion threads about racism, religious intolerance and terrorism in which innocent people and children die. It is not a wise move but shows their own racist tendencies, its common sense that they should refrain trying to humorise people this way, especially using words such as 'brown people' there is nothing funny about it. Please have respect for the deceased and their families. Also don't try to make people click on carefully constructed biased news articles, I say news but its probably more like blogs although I don't click on them. That's what I mean by mass media conditioned world. May Allah subhana wa tala hasten the reappearance of Imam Mahdi (aj) 

Edited by Murtaza1

17 hours ago, starlight said:

There are two ways to read this, and both are disturbing. The first says that "serving our country" causes derangement. The second says that because he was paid to kill, his behavior is excusable, or at least understandable. 

15 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

Nobody serving on the front line should return home and not be given some sort of rehabilitation or psychological support. I don't know military protocol, but I assume soldiers are just flown home and that's that.

Perhaps it was PTSD, but the army should expect this to happen and do something before it does, if they truly care about the safety of their homeland. I guess they don't see their own pawns as being a terrorist threat to their homeland, only the pawns and rooks on the other side of the chess board.

People come home from military service with PTSD even if they never saw combat. The whole American military environment is traumatic to most human beings. 

I was in the army in the early to mid 90s and still sometimes (mildly) dissociate from things I hear or read in the news. I was diagnosed with PTSD in 1998. It's not just treatment/coping mechanisms that need to be taught after the fact, the whole system needs to change to avoid or reduce the problems. Dehumanizing "the enemy" is not something people are capable of dealing with psychologically. 

On 4/28/2019 at 5:47 AM, Murtaza1 said:

Also I would like to suggest that people should not use humour in discussion threads about racism, religious intolerance and terrorism in which innocent people and children die. It is not a wise move but shows their own racist tendencies, its common sense that they should refrain trying to humorise people this way, especially using words such as 'brown people' there is nothing funny about it. Please have respect for the deceased and their families. Also don't try to make people click on carefully constructed biased news articles, I say news but its probably more like blogs although I don't click on them. That's what I mean by mass media conditioned world. May Allah subhana wa tala hasten the reappearance of Imam Mahdi (aj) 

We use these words to refer to ourselves and whatever other " people of color" are around here.

It's a proud connotation.

sorry you feel otherwise.

It's a cultural thing here  to use humor to deal with racist or other stressful  colonial situations.

However, when we have to do some action about it, don't worry, nobody will be laughing then.

We've just come off  several legal and other victories this year, so I gave myself the week after Easter to take a vacation and reconnect with some folks online and relax before I get back in the saddle again.

just my two cents.

On 4/27/2019 at 3:45 PM, starlight said:

Can the same line of reasoning be applied to Palestinians? Yemenis? What 'happens to them mentally' when chemical weapons are used against them and their food supply is cut off? 

The same thing as this man, except most don't kill innocent people. The few that do end up being suicide bombers  and the like.

I think for me, it is more tragic when people willingly join the military for purpose of serving and protect their country. Then these young men get shipped off and change and then when they  come home, they have no support, just meaningless praise of "Thank you for your service". Then he decides to run over and kill innocent people  and the media, friends and family act surprised and say "We never saw it coming " or "this isn't like him".

I'm not, it's what  he was trained to do.  If he had gotten some help, lives could have been saved. Problem is, nobody cares.

19 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

They theoretically can get help and some do. But the resources for " fixing" people sent to war are far less than those available to send them there in the first place. This country needs to do a hard reset.