Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Isaam

Losing faith

Rate this topic

Asalamalakoum, brothers and sisters. I live in America and I feel like I’m losing faith with everyone being Christian around me. When I felt that I was losing faith my stomach starts and then I know Allah doesn’t want me to lose faith. 

Can you guys list some verses of the Qu’ran for people loosing faith?

For the people who converted to Islam, can you leave your story here so I can get some inspiration? (Add what religion you came from)

another question I have is, how do we know all of the Prophet Muhammad’s ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) miracles were true? 

There isn’t a line on the moon. 

I was also looking at that story that bibi Fathima ((عليه السلام)) helped a dead bride become alive again, but people in Shi’a chat, said that wasn’t true and was a hoax.

Please help me out if you can.

30 minutes ago, BowTie said:

Why do people lose faith when they live around non-Muslims?

My faith actually gets stronger around non-Muslims.

Ive actually been reading a lot of stuff and my faith is getting much better. Like reading stuff like this:

http://islamicpamphlets.com/jesus-a-Prophet-of-God

Salam Isaam,

the fact that your reaching out and seeking help shows that you’re uncomfortable in this state your in and it shows that you still have faith in your heart:) Allah tells us in the Qur'an that he will test our faith and every person is tested differently. There’s no doubt that being surrounded by Muslims who practice and an Islamic community strengthens one’s faith. 

In your case Isaam, I advise you to get up and pray your daily prayers despite your imaan right now. Get up and pray. Try reading a duaa with God’s 99 names out loud and see how you feel. Listen to beautiful Quranic recitations on youtube. Follow Islamic reminder pages on instagram. Act upon the way you feel right now. Act before its too late. Do you realize how lucky you are that God is giving you a chance? Just by you coming on this website and seeking help shows that God wants you to find your way. He doesn’t want you to stray away.

Being surrounded by non believers and people of other faiths isn’t easy. But it gives you a better reason to learn more about your duties in Islam and on how to become a better Muslim both for yourself and for God. It gives you a better reason to seek knowledge and understand any doubts you have.

Please Isaam, don’t loose your faith in God. Don’t stop praying. If you loose your prayers, you loose everything. 

42 minutes ago, BowTie said:

Why do people lose faith when they live around non-Muslims?

My faith actually gets stronger around non-Muslims.

This! I’ve never understood that as well. And I agree completely. Being around non-Muslims, living in the West where kufr is left and right, actually makes me more religious, not weaker. I personally blame it on the fact that many Muslims do not know their religion. If they would’ve, they wouldn’t think for a second about drinking alcohol or taking the scarf off. 

On 4/25/2019 at 4:14 PM, Tamy said:

Salam Isaam,

the fact that your reaching out and seeking help shows that you’re uncomfortable in this state your in and it shows that you still have faith in your heart:) Allah tells us in the Qur'an that he will test our faith and every person is tested differently. There’s no doubt that being surrounded by Muslims who practice and an Islamic community strengthens one’s faith. 

In your case Isaam, I advise you to get up and pray your daily prayers despite your imaan right now. Get up and pray. Try reading a duaa with God’s 99 names out loud and see how you feel. Listen to beautiful Quranic recitations on youtube. Follow Islamic reminder pages on instagram. Act upon the way you feel right now. Act before its too late. Do you realize how lucky you are that God is giving you a chance? Just by you coming on this website and seeking help shows that God wants you to find your way. He doesn’t want you to stray away.

Being surrounded by non believers and people of other faiths isn’t easy. But it gives you a better reason to learn more about your duties in Islam and on how to become a better Muslim both for yourself and for God. It gives you a better reason to seek knowledge and understand any doubts you have.

Please Isaam, don’t loose your faith in God. Don’t stop praying. If you loose your prayers, you loose everything. 

I’m a teenager right now, and when I had my doubts I felt sick. These past couple of days I lose my appetite when I get doubts, and I take that as a sign from Allah. I end up talking to my mom and she understands me. Every question I ask she gives a wonderful answer. Right now I just turned a teen and plan to read the Qur'an in English and I will try to read the 5 daily prayers during Ramadan. I currently just read Maghreb and Isha, but inshallah I will read more.

1 hour ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

This! I’ve never understood that as well. And I agree completely. Being around non-Muslims, living in the West where kufr is left and right, actually makes me more religious, not weaker. I personally blame it on the fact that many Muslims do not know their religion. If they would’ve, they wouldn’t think for a second about drinking alcohol or taking the scarf off. 

Yea, but it’s also weird because most of my friends here are Christians. But I also have some Sunni friends. I’m just glad they are still Muslim.

6 hours ago, Isaam said:

Yea, but it’s also weird because most of my friends here are Christians. But I also have some Sunni friends. I’m just glad they are still Muslim.

Salaam brother,

Why are you losing your faith around Christians though (if it was atheists and faithless people then I could maybe understand) ? Islam recognises Isa ((عليه السلام)) as a mighty messenger of God though it denies the trinity as an innovation. It is not too hard to see that Jesus ((عليه السلام)) was not God:

”By myself I can do nothing” John 5:30 (Isn’t God supposed to be All Knowing, and Him losing His nature seems far fetched and irrational)

”I admit that I worship the God of our fathers” Acts 24:14 (God worshipping God????)

”The Father is greater than I” John 14:28

”God is neither a man nor a son of a man” Numbers 23:19.

That being said, religious Christians are good people and there is some wisdom to be learnt from them and there scripture. There’s a lot of similarities as both are Abrahamic faiths and you can talk about the End Times and tell them about Imam Mahdi.

Also search about Imam Ali (عليه السلام). And Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) in the Bible.

Hope this helps.

Eltemas e dua

10 hours ago, Isaam said:

Asalamalakoum, brothers and sisters. I live in America and I feel like I’m losing faith with everyone being Christian around me. When I felt that I was losing faith my stomach starts and then I know Allah doesn’t want me to lose faith. 

For the people who converted to Islam, can you leave your story here so I can get some inspiration? (Add what religion you came from)

another question I have is, how do we know all of the Prophet Muhammad’s ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) miracles were true? 

I was also looking at that story that bibi Fathima ((عليه السلام)) helped a dead bride become alive again, but people in Shi’a chat, said that wasn’t true and was a hoax.

Your Christians are your fellow brothers, as a Muslim you should not feel challenged by their presence.  The existence of Christianity confirms Islam.  Right now you are seeing the distinction between Christianity and Islam as black and white, and you see them as mutually exclusive of one another.  And this is true because these are two distinct forms, and, as such, exclude one another by definition.  But the reality of each of these two sacred religions are but one religion and this is Din Al-Fitrah (The religion of the Heart).  If you are inwardly connected to God through your heart and you practice the outward and formal rites of Islam, you will begin to see (through your hearts eye) that your Christian brothers are part of your own religion (namely, the Religion of the Heart) even if they follow the formal practices of their own religion.  As a true and genuine Muslim, If you happen to visit a Cathedral/ Church, you should be able to witness something sacred about it through your hearts eye.  

Edited by eThErEaL

12 hours ago, Isaam said:

Yeah, I know the loneliness that comes from not having many Shi'I (and just Muslims in general) around, although as a very independent-minded person it is just something I personally am used to. 

What kind of Christians are around you? (if you know) 

Got another question, I know you're young but do you spend much time reading the sayings and writings of our Imams? and/or also the great Shi'I philosophers? (I'm trying to gather your own current place within Shi'ism)

Blessings.

Edited by HakimPtsid

10 hours ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

Right on! 

For me, I do find that some degree it brings out the most genuine and passionate devotion in oneself (and of course when one realizes the deeper, darker reality of the state of the West) but on the purely personal level, for me at least, it draws me closer. I think that if I lived in Iran (for example) I could possibly grow to take my faith/din for granted. And as Ali would say, it starts with the growth of one's heart first and not what everyone else around is doing. 

On 4/26/2019 at 2:40 AM, HakimPtsid said:

Yeah, I know the loneliness that comes from not having many Shi'I (and just Muslims in general) around, although as a very independent-minded person it is just something I personally am used to. 

What kind of Christians are around you? (if you know) 

Got another question, I know you're young but do you spend much time reading the sayings and writings of our Imams? and/or also the great Shi'I philosophers? (I'm trying to gather your own current place within Shi'ism)

Blessings.

I’m mostly around Catholics. Yes, sometimes I read quotes, not a lot though.

6 hours ago, Ejaz said:

Salaam brother,

Why are you losing your faith around Christians though (if it was atheists and faithless people then I could maybe understand) ? Islam recognises Isa ((عليه السلام)) as a mighty messenger of God though it denies the trinity as an innovation. It is not too hard to see that Jesus ((عليه السلام)) was not God:

”By myself I can do nothing” John 5:30 (Isn’t God supposed to be All Knowing, and Him losing His nature seems far fetched and irrational)

”I admit that I worship the God of our fathers” Acts 24:14 (God worshipping God????)

”The Father is greater than I” John 14:28

”God is neither a man nor a son of a man” Numbers 23:19.

That being said, religious Christians are good people and there is some wisdom to be learnt from them and there scripture. There’s a lot of similarities as both are Abrahamic faiths and you can talk about the End Times and tell them about Imam Mahdi.

Also search about Imam Ali (عليه السلام). And Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) in the Bible.

Hope this helps.

Eltemas e dua

Yea, I had only lost faith because at school people talk about bible quotes like “John 3:18” and if you don’t follow him as God or the son you’ll go to hell. After coming on this website I already feel better.

On 4/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, Isaam said:

Are you loosing faith in God or faith in Islam? God does not belong to any particular religion. We humans, regardless if we believe or not, belong to God.

For me I took a long time. I have always believed in the divine under some form though. I think it is more that 30 years ago I read the Qur'an the first time. To me it was a very emotional experience. I thought it was a very beautifully book and I felt Gods presence. However I got away from it again and looked into other religions while also studying comparative religion in University. In the meantime I lived a typical western life and did a lot of haram stuff that I am not going to dwell on here. What happened was that I got tired with that lifestyle (or lets say that I realized how bad it was for me.) I started dressing modestly, gave up on alcohol and casual sexual encounters. At first it really didn't have any thing to do with Islam, but I was still interested in comparative religion. I had heard about a Shia Mosque that had just finished construction in my home town and I decided to visit it. It was quite a beautiful Mosque with a cozy atmosphere. While driving home on the subway after the visit, I suddenly felt very emotional. I had tears coming to my eyes just like when I read the Qur'an the first time. I then realized that Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) had written his name in my heart. I intuitively knew that God was calling me alhamdulillah.

It doesn't matter. How do you know I the miracles of Jesus was true? Belief is not a question of scientific fact. If you seek God he will reveal him self to you. When I was non-Muslim I I from time to time encountered Muslim Dawah from people who was very keen on proving Gods existence through rational thought and scientific proof. They all failed because rationality and science is limited to this world and God is not limited. You have to consciously decide to believe and seek God. God will let him self be known to you through feelings. You just have to believe in what you feel.

I’m a teenager right now, and when I had my doubts I felt sick

Maybe your doubts has to do with you being a teenager. When you are in your teens you have to doubt everything. Also the way you believed as a child may not be adequate when you become an adult. You have to go through a phase of adjusting your beliefs to being a grown up. Some people lose their faith in that process because they focus to much on science. In stead you have to focus on the love of God. I think the reason why you felt sick is because the fear of Hell fire, but God is the most gracious the most merciful and if you seek him and pray to him, he will lead you on the right path. God is love.

I had only lost faith because at school people talk about bible quotes like “John 3:18” and if you don’t follow him as God or the son you’ll go to hell.

There are at least 6000 known forgeries in the biblical text that doesn't correspond to the earliest manuscripts. The Qur'an on the other hand is mostly correct. The earliest Quranic manuscripts only has very minor discrepancies with the Cairo text (or Uthmans Qur'an) that is the basis for all modern Qur'an. It is also worth noticing that the Qurans written by Imam Ali(عليه السلام) that is still in existence to day does not differ from the Suni Qurans, so all in all, the Qur'an has preserved the message, where as the Bible has not done that in its entirety.
The Qur'an was send down as a confirmation of the original message, so that people would know what has been altered in the other books. The original message was not only send to the Jews and the Christians by the way, but to all the peoples in the world in their own language. So there is a very good reason why you should believe the Qur'an over the Bible.

22 hours ago, HakimPtsid said:

I think that if I lived in Iran (for example) I could possibly grow to take my faith/din for granted. And as Ali would say, it starts with the growth of one's heart first and not what everyone else around is doing. 

Salam it more depends on your character than atmosphere although Iran has more religious atmosphere in cities like as Mashhad & Qom but big cities like as Tehran doesn't have more difference that other cities in western countries also you can find people that call themselves as atheist or new Christians or Zorastrian  in cities like as Mashhad & Qom