Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Would you consider having a non-lethal defensive weapon?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

This is in particular to any fellow Londoners, but to whomever it applies. 

Except Yanks, we get it, you can buy guns with your groceries at Walmart.

So as some know, there is a growing knife epidemic in London and lenient punishments are not deterring people from using or carrying.

It honestly can be rather bleak beyond outsider perceptions of what London is like. 

So I wanted to ask, has anyone considered owning legal, non-lethal defensive weapons? Enough to at least temporarily disarm or disable a would be attacker?

Heck, you can still by knives anyway, even foldable ones that lool like a credit card online, but I am not talking about fatally hurting.

Examples include legal pepper-spray, fast-strike weapons, and bats. These unsurprisingly, are available on that main website we all do our online shopping from.

Having them in your home is one thing, but carrying or having them in a vehicle may be a grey, if not illegal area. Though bats in a car can be reasonable.

Anyway these are just some thoughts I've had recently.

It is also not about staying or avoiding trouble, sonetimes it comes to you.

Trust in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), but tie your camel.

What are your thoughts?

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum 

In Lebanon, many people who drive vans, truck drivers, taxi drivers carry metal rods, sticks, and bats. It's not a joke, road rage happens on a daily basis.

I've seen people who ride scooters and motorcycles who are loaded with guns.

My secret?  Just think everyone is in a hurry to go to the bathroom.  Smile, nod, and higher the volume of the radio, so the car horn doesn't distract you.  Happy driving.  :)

M3 Salamah, Fe Amin Allah 

• Veteran Member
10 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum 

In Lebanon, many people who drive vans, truck drivers, taxi drivers carry metal rods, sticks, and bats. It's not a joke, road rage happens on a daily basis.

I've seen people who ride scooters and motorcycles who are loaded with guns.

My secret?  Just think everyone is in a hurry to go to the bathroom.  Smile, nod, and higher the volume of the radio, so the car horn doesn't distract you.  Happy driving.  :)

Yes I recall a driver me and a friend used in Beirut had a gun

• Veteran Member
1 minute ago, Laayla said:

Ohhhh, that's right, remember your thread about your travels to Beirut?

Would you visit again?  Did you end up going to the Dahiya?

Hhhhhh I posted in part to troll the troll Leb members :grin: who were not happy with my thread. Shame I can no longer find it.

No I only was in the Christian or Sunni parts. But would visit again and would visit the Shia part for sure.

Would be cool to visit this Hezb museum I heard about in South.

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum 

Remember those fellas hahaha?

Many of them got banned, and those who didn't,  left because their friends were no longer on the forum.

Ask mods if they hidden the thread or see if you can find it in the cache version.

If you end up coming, you will be impressed of the developments and changes that have occurred in the South and in the Dahiya.  

The Museum you are referring to is in Mleeta and yes they do have English tour guides!

For the most part, did you enjoy your time here?  What were some of the pros and cons you experienced as a tourist?

I still remember the picture you shared of your hotel room by the sea.  SUB7AN'Allah, nice crisp blue sea and sunny!

• Veteran Member
1 minute ago, Laayla said:

For the most part, did you enjoy your time here?  What were some of the pros and cons you experienced as a tourist?

I still remember the picture you shared of your hotel room by the sea.  SUB7AN'Allah, nice crisp blue sea and sunny!

Yes for the most part I really did enjoy my time. I guess being non-European in appearance I wasn't treated as a tourist, which is what I prefer when I visit countries. But the people were friendly. I do miss hearing Fairuz everywhere in the mornings, though I often hear that whenever I'm in Egypt.

Yes that view was magnificent, truly. No matter what time of day.

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum Brother 

Insh'Allah you come back soon!

Although for the month of Ramadan, if you can make it to the ziyarahs for our Imams, do so. Especially, the last 10 days.  No better place to be, than in the presence of our Imams.

It's best to come to Beirut before the summer, to avoid the humidity and heat.  As you know we have electricity shortages, so if you want to come again, I recommend visit during the spring or fall.

I don't know how your Arabic is, but if you are fluent, I highly recommend to come during Muharram, Mash'Allah the Dahiya is jam-packed with majalis, programs, all over town.

Khayr Insh'Allah, glad to hear you had a good time.  God bless you brother.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

I could, but no need. I am myself a weapon. 

I'm not afraid of people. If they kill me, that's on their soul not mine. 

But I don't live in London and crime isn't a major concern in my neighborhood. I might feel differently if not for blissful ignorance. 

• Development Team
3 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Sorry Tommy, those would be hunting rifles and paint ball guns, hardly adequate for self-defense.

Examples include legal pepper-spray, fast-strike weapons, and bats.

With exception of pepper spray, I think you need a permit to carry fast strike self-defense tools. You do not want to be found with a weapon on you by the police. Entirely illegal in the United Kingdom, you will go to prison. 

So as some know, there is a growing knife epidemic in London and lenient punishments are not deterring people from using or carrying.

I would recommend learning koppojutsu (bonebreaking), there's a quite a few grapples that could easily defeat a knife user and create enough distance to get away.

Guest Nani-Amma

My walking stick would suffice. If things go worst, I may consider sharping the pointy edge of mine to add a bit of spice for the one on the receiving end of it -.) 

• Veteran Member

https://www.bbc.co.United Kingdom/news/United Kingdom-48050426

Knife crime in England and Wales rose to record levels last year, data shows.

Police recorded 40,829 offences involving knives or sharp instruments in 2018, up 6% on the year before.

Office for National Statistics figures show cases of murder and manslaughter, excluding terror attacks, also rose by 12%. There were 732 killings, up from 655 in 2017 - the highest since 2007.

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

cases of murder and manslaughter, excluding terror attacks

What criteria are used to divide one from the other? 

• Forum Administrators

I have considered carrying pepper spray in recent times but haven't as of yet. I am also trying to carry an extra hijab with me when out and about in London as weak individuals will usually target a Muslim woman in the way of trying to rip her hijab off. 

• Forum Administrators
19 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

So I wanted to ask, has anyone considered owning legal, non-lethal defensive weapons? Enough to at least temporarily disarm or disable a would be attacker?

A friend of my family has a walking stick that collapses into a small size when not in use. When a group of us were on a hike, I saw the name on it and have been thinking about doing a google search.