Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Laayla

Muslims in the Entertainment World

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

It shows that some Muslims use Islam like a buffet, picking and choosing parts of the religion they want to follow, while going through some identity crisis. But haven't Muslims been doing this buffet thing for awhile now in some form or another? It looks more extreme these days because the youth are marinated in this more sinful and indulgent society than previous generations, so of course it has an effect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

 Mash'Allah, I'm glad to see ShiaChat members have hindsight of the dangers of what the media wants to instill into our youth.  We have a lot of areas we need to tackle in regards to providing an alternative media source for our youth.  We are in desperate need of English entertainment shows to attract the Muslim youth.  Some youth were attracted to the ISIS media and left their countries and joined them, others are totally lost within secular society.   And just where is the middle ground?  I wish conferences like UMMAH,  Muslim Congress, Naynawah work on such projects for the future.

Brothers and Sisters as we are winding down on the month of Rasoul Allah, please recite this dhikr.  Ask Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for guidance, take steps to seek closeness to Him, give sadaqa everyday even if its a small amount, for the remaining days of this holy month.

God protect you all from harm and the whispers of the accursed Satan and from evil doings of people.

image.png.f54ba5961e60813247fb78cae90a9cd2.png

@Abu Hadi

@Ibn al-Hussain

@smhr63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will not defend the show, but I will point out a couple things

It is a comedy, and the classical definition of comedy involves people who are worse than ourselves (tragedy usually depicts people who are better than us). Clearly, the focus of the show is one guy's struggles with modern life and temptation vs. the obligations of his faith. Where this guy ultimately ends up will determine if the story is of any value.

If he redeems himself, embraces his faith and identity, abandons hedonism, etc. then it will have some value

If he goes the other direction, the show will be nihilist trash that should be avoided.

I certainly wouldn't recommend any women watch the show

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Laayla said:

We have a lot of areas we need to tackle in regards to providing an alternative media source for our youth.  We are in desperate need of English entertainment shows to attract the Muslim youth.  Some youth were attracted to the ISIS media and left their countries and joined them, others are totally lost within secular society.   And just where is the middle ground?  I 

The problem is that if it only targets Muslims, then no one will watch it. 

Our youth will still always go after the mainstream shows which are streamed on netflix. It's just how it is.

Yeah we do need more halal entertainment, because majority of the shows out there are inappropriate and contradict Islamic teachings.

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As salaamun aleikum,

This "Ramy" movie is a Hulu movie. Hulu is owned by Hulu LLC, a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company and Comcast. Through the acquisition of 21st Century Fox, Disney acquired Fox's partial ownership, giving it a 60% stake when the deal closed on March 20, 2019, vs. 30% for Comcast.

 Robert A. Iger is Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. As Chairman and CEO, Mr.. Iger is the steward of one of the world's largest media companies and some of the most respected and beloved brands around the globe. Iger was born to a Jewish family in New York City.

Heres a little info about Comcast and how large of a net theyve cast in the media:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/101215/top-4-companies-owned-comcast.asp

If this movie was ANY good for the Muslim population or the image of Islam, I guarantee you it WOULDNT be allowed to air. Thats just not how things are done with the media/elites. Theres an agenda at hand, and a major part of it is the destruction of Islam,Muslims and modality in any way possible, including the implantation of insidious ideas into the minds of the younger generations. Thats realy the prime place to attack. If they ruin this generation, there WONT be a next for them to worry about. At the very least, it will work to degrade and deterioate the religion and family conditions slowly. 

Ive been Muslim for almost 10 years now, and in just the last 5 years, I have seen the behavior, dress/attire and basic manners at the masjid I attend slip and slide downhill. I believe its partly because the media is a major means of moulding,influencing and forging the minds of people. Most of what happens is very subconscious. This is very noticeable in simple things like peoples cleanliness and the way the youth treat their parents and dress. They make people comfortable with nastiness/uncleanliness and all sorts of other vulgar behavior, so it appears acceptable. Then, people start to conduct their lives in the same way...imagine how good it would be if things were reversed and they only showed  good wholsome things? But thats not the case.

We are all in ALOT of trouble as long as this form of "entertainment", more like literal programming, is allowed to be a part of and affect our lives. 

W/s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your last statement in your post reminds me of an incident that happened to me a few years ago. I had a work colleague at that company (I don't work there anymore) and we were working on the same project so we used to talk. As with most people, our conversations revolved around work and I would ask him where he worked before he came to that company. He was vague for a while and then after a few months of working with him, he confided in me that he used to work for the CIA in PsyOps (The Psychological Operations unit of the CIA). He was vague about this and didn't tell me for a while, because despite what many people outside the United State think, even within the US the CIA has a very bad reputation for being an immoral and shady organization and most people who work for them will never admit it. I'm surprised he did. Anyway, I asked him, because he worked in Psyops and I had read about past CIA operations within the US like 'MKUltra' and I asked him if they had ever been successful in inventing a 'brainwashing machine'. He nodded his head, very casually and said they did, and pointed to the T.V. that was mounted in the corner. 

I kind of laughed and didn't really think about his statement for a few years and then started thinking about all the proliferation of media that has happened in the last few years and the fact that most people are looking at a screen (either a phone, tv, computer) for the majority of their waking hours. Then I started to think about who produces the vast majority of the content they are looking at and what types of effects it must have, the repetition of looking at things over and over again that people instinctively will reject (like graphic violence and strong sexual content)  but then after a while it becomes 'normal'. This is exactly the kind of brainwashing I think this guy was talking about. I honestly don't know what the solution is except to say that if some content is against your morals as a Muslim, to not watch it, period. It is sometimes hard to avoid but we need to try to do that. Most people don't, unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

proliferation of media that has happened in the last few years and the fact that most people are looking at a screen (either a phone, tv, computer) for the majority of their waking hours. Then I started to think about who produces the vast majority of the content they are looking at and what types of effects it must have, the repetition of looking at things over and over again that people instinctively will reject (like graphic violence and strong sexual content)  but then after a while it becomes 'normal'. This is exactly the kind of brainwashing I think this guy was talking about. I honestly don't know what the solution is except to say that if some content is against your morals as a Muslim, to not watch it, period. It is sometimes hard to avoid but we need to try to do that. Most people don't, unfortunately. 

I went through the same struggle but ten years ago I detached myself from media, politics and popular culture. It's sad when we come away from it we see the effects it had left on us, it is definitely brain washing. The mind is a amazing machine and has the ability to absorb over two million pieces of information from the environment through our senses every two seconds, this stuff sits in people's subconscious minds and influences their thinking and behaviour. I see negative long-term effects in people's behaviour because of the media. It is effecting Muslims too. It makes me wonder how Muslims will also become in the future.

The media is imprisoning us and then murdering us slowly if we don't accept being brain washed. A psychological theory claims if we suppress, ignore or misidentify our emotions it can damage our minds, we can even lose some memory, being oblivious to mainstream culture can have these effects on us and I think it has happened to me. I have been going through this struggle but we all have the power to control this process psychologically.

I would like to suggest this useful handout to everybody about how to manage this process psychologically through emotions. This is our weapon. We can overcome the media by not allowing it to influence us. I particularly suggest reading from pages 6-10 (especially page 10 which talks about detachment or dissociation. In my case I often talk about on Shiachat about my withdrawal from society because of the media and its effects on me, this explains it well):

https://www.moodcafe.co.United Kingdom/media/15343/ER_handout_Final_16_June_2016 pdf.pdf

 

 

 

 

Edited by Murtaza1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think isolation is the solution. As Muslims, we are taught to live in the world and participate in society in all spheres (even areas which are not traditional). Our Prophet and Imams((عليه السلام)) didn't isolate themselves, but they did the thing which was even harder than that which is stay in the 'world' but not be 'of it', as Prophet Isa (Jesus) had taught. Being a human being in this world is a difficult test, a much more difficult one than most people realize. I think the main thing that we should do is to build our awareness of the true nature of things and what is going on around us. Most people's attitude toward a thing like entertainment is based on what they want the thing to be, not what it truly is. 

I can draw a comparison here to food and the act of eating. We need food and we need to eat. There is no way to live in this world without eating. Yet we are taught to look at what we eat carefully and make sure we eat only that which is halal and tayyiba (lawful and healthy for us). I don't know anyone who would pick up something off the ground which they didn't know what it was and where it came from, whether it is halal, spoiled, or contains harmful substances and put it in their mouth and eat it. If someone did that, most people would look at them as insane. Yet when it comes to media and entertainment, Muslims (I'm not even talking about non Muslims here) and even those who call themselves followers of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) will watch a show like 'Game of Thrones' (I've never watched it myself but have been told about it by others) which contains and promotes everything which Islam and Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) are against and watch it, over and over, follow it on social media, etc. This is equivalent to picking up something off the ground and eating it. You are what you consume. If you consume harmful media, over and over again, knowingly this will damage you both morally, psychologically, and spiritually and this damage may never fully go away. Muslims need to be aware of this, and always keep this in their mind. Once they do this, they will be aware of what is going on around them, what in the media is harmful to them, and what is not harmful, and what is good for them, and then make choices based on that awareness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

I don't think isolation is the solution. As Muslims, we are taught to live in the world and participate in society in all spheres (even areas which are not traditional). Our Prophet and Imams((عليه السلام)) didn't isolate themselves, but they did the thing which was even harder than that which is stay in the 'world' but not be 'of it', as Prophet Isa (Jesus) had taught. Being a human being in this world is a difficult test, a much more difficult one than most people realize. I think the main thing that we should do is to build our awareness of the true nature of things and what is going on around us. Most people's attitude toward a thing like entertainment is based on what they want the thing to be, not what it truly is. 

I can draw a comparison here to food and the act of eating. We need food and we need to eat. There is no way to live in this world without eating. Yet we are taught to look at what we eat carefully and make sure we eat only that which is halal and tayyiba (lawful and healthy for us). I don't know anyone who would pick up something off the ground which they didn't know what it was and where it came from, whether it is halal, spoiled, or contains harmful substances and put it in their mouth and eat it. If someone did that, most people would look at them as insane. Yet when it comes to media and entertainment, Muslims (I'm not even talking about non Muslims here) and even those who call themselves followers of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) will watch a show like 'Game of Thrones' (I've never watched it myself but have been told about it by others) which contains and promotes everything which Islam and Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) are against and watch it, over and over, follow it on social media, etc. This is equivalent to picking up something off the ground and eating it. You are what you consume. If you consume harmful media, over and over again, knowingly this will damage you both morally, psychologically, and spiritually and this damage may never fully go away. Muslims need to be aware of this, and always keep this in their mind. Once they do this, they will be aware of what is going on around them, what in the media is harmful to them, and what is not harmful, and what is good for them, and then make choices based on that awareness. 

I had never watched Games Of Thrones and don’t really know of what this is talking about excepted that social medias talk about that litteraly every days. Could you explain more what is exactly is this serie and why Muslims should avoid to watch it ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the most harmful thing that it contains is the premise of the show, which is that the purpose of life is to gain power over other people, and that we should use all means at our disposal, including everything which we consider to be haram in order to accomplish this. Within human nature, this is 'hard wired', this strong desire to gain power over others and control them by mean of deception, and then to use that power only for the purpose of gaining more power. This is, of course, the core of the philosophy of Yazid(la) and Muawiya(la). This show promotes this philosophy and way of looking at the world, which is 180 degrees opposite of what is promoted by Islam. Like I said, I have never watched the show and never will, but I have seen 'clips' of it while watching other things. These 'clips' are so prevalent, at least in the US media, you can't really escape them completely unless you don't watch anything. 

So in addition to the promotion of sex outside of a halal relationship and violence outside of Haqq (which many shows promote), this show also promotes this Yazidi philosophy, which again is the most destructive (spiritually) of the many destructive elements contained in this 'show'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

 

Thank you for explaining Hajj @Abu Hadi.   Unfortunately, GoT has reached worldwide. Your beautiful and precise explanation of the effects of the screens harming our families is true and we are seeing the consequences everyday. 

Your experience with your former colleague working in the CIA and admitting to brainwashing the masses is just a confirmation of the soft war or the social engineering as sister @Shia farm girl talked about in the Hollywood thread.

 

As you already know Hajj, the gov't banned certain channels in America like Al Manar and other Iranian TV stations because they understand the power and influence of media.    

God keep us steadfast in the religion.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

I had never watched Games Of Thrones and don’t really know of what this is talking about excepted that social medias talk about that litteraly every days. Could you explain more what is exactly is this serie and why Muslims should avoid to watch it ? 

Nudity, violence, sexual deviancy(normalizing incest) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mohammadi_follower @Abu Hadi 

I haven't watched the show, never will but from Quora :

At the most, I'd say that the portrayal of incest among two of the major characters on such a popular show might lead to more fictional portrayals of incest (on TV, movies, in books, etc.)

I think it's largely because we see these people as much more than incestuous creatures. They're partners who're good parents too. Cersei is as overprotective as an Indian mother! Jaime's love for her seems pretty normal too once he's shown in an empathetic light.

Targaryens have also been marrying brothers and sisters for years, and seeing the person Dany is, she's turned out just fine. So was Rhaegar.So I guess incest has been normalised in my thinking, thanks to the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

I don't think isolation is the solution. As Muslims, we are taught to live in the world and participate in society in all spheres (even areas which are not traditional). Our Prophet and Imams((عليه السلام)) didn't isolate themselves, but they did the thing which was even harder than that which is stay in the 'world' but not be 'of it', as Prophet Isa (Jesus) had taught. Being a human being in this world is a difficult test, a much more difficult one than most people realize.

Jazakalah yes I agree that Our Prophet and Imams ((عليه السلام)) did not take this approach, that does hurt me about myself. I am trying to change to a degree. However my main point was that when we go to the extreme of being a complete realists to become media junkies as I used to be by excepting everything the media tell us, they then have the power to control us. That's why psychologically I went within myself and became a realist, which helped heal myself and I know more and more people in society are thinking along the same lines and withdrawing themselves. However there is a danger of becoming too closed minded. I am fighting this jihad within myself and I am learning from our Our Prophet and Imams ((عليه السلام)) as role models to be modest. I am now trying to take a constructivist approach by trying to control what comes and goes in my mind and socially engaging myself with others in society but having a significant amount of control over it, that way the media cannot manipulate us. For somebody like myself that has been to the extreme end of embracing everything that the media and culture threw at me and then changing 180 degrees and now struggling to come out and face the world, the psychological approach I mentioned is helpful. It helps us to control our emotions and not let others overpower, control or manipulate us.

13 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

I can draw a comparison here to food and the act of eating. We need food and we need to eat. There is no way to live in this world without eating. Yet we are taught to look at what we eat carefully and make sure we eat only that which is halal and tayyiba (lawful and healthy for us).

Yes I understand, of course  we need to be aware of things around us, hence the reason Allah subhana wa tala has placed pain receptors under our skin tissues, otherwise we would be walking around bumping into lamp posts so to speak. It is the same with mind manipulation and conditioning through mental energy driven by thoughts and the media uses this very well.

 

Edited by Murtaza1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mohammadi_follower said:

I had never watched Games Of Thrones and don’t really know of what this is

12 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

I have never watched the show and never will, but I have seen 'clips' of it while watching other things.

When I worked as a cleaner at a leisure centre last year, one of the actors from Games of Throne used to come and use the leisure centre, my colleagues used to mention it but I still don't know what he looked like because I never took the initiative to find out, although I used to see everybody that came to the leisure centre and I am sure I saw him many times. When I accidentally came across some promotional material about the show on the internet, it rang a bell of a thin tall looking guy with a beard, sometimes I used to be there with him with only a few people using the male changing rooms. The media is very manipulative, I see adverts pop up and play for at least 5 seconds without my permission.

12 hours ago, Laayla said:

Your beautiful and precise explanation of the effects of the screens harming our families is true and we are seeing the consequences everyday. 

12 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

This is, of course, the core of the philosophy of Yazid(la) and Muawiya(la). This show promotes this philosophy and way of looking at the world, which is 180 degrees opposite of what is promoted by Islam. Like I said, I have never watched the show and never will,

Yes these shows are very damning. Although I like old shows such as the 'Waltons' and 'Little House on the Prairie' because they promoted family values and did not ridicule or put anybody down, I think that is much more in line with Islamic values.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

Jazakalah yes I agree that Our Prophet and Imams ((عليه السلام)) did not take this approach, that does hurt me about myself. I am trying to change to a degree. However my main point was that when we go to the extreme of being a complete realists to become media junkies as I used to be by excepting everything the media tell us, they then have the power to control us. That's why psychologically I went within myself and became a realist, which helped heal myself and I know more and more people in society are thinking along the same lines and withdrawing themselves. However there is a danger of becoming too closed minded. I am fighting this jihad within myself and I am learning from our Our Prophet and Imams ((عليه السلام)) as role models to be modest. I am now trying to take a constructivist approach by trying to control what comes and goes in my mind and socially engaging myself with others in society but having a significant amount of control over it, that way the media cannot manipulate us. For somebody like myself that has been to the extreme end of embracing everything that the media and culture threw at me and then changing 180 degrees and now struggling to come out and face the world, the psychological approach I mentioned is helpful. It helps us to control our emotions and not let others overpower, control or manipulate us.

Yes I understand, of course  we need to be aware of things around us, hence the reason Allah subhana wa tala has placed pain receptors under our skin tissues, otherwise we would be walking around bumping into lamp posts so to speak. It is the same with mind manipulation and conditioning through mental energy driven by thoughts and the media uses this very well.

 

I am not trying to criticize you. My natural tendency is also toward being isolated. But I actively fight against this because I believe, from what I have studied, that the teachings of Our Prophet and Imams((عليه السلام)) is to have a balance between being isolated and being social. I know myself well enough to know that no matter how hard I try, I could not be one of those 'social butterflies' because that is not in my nature. But I can try hard to fight against those tendencies in myself which I know are not encouraged in Islam. 

Being a revert to Islam and being around other reverts, I notice that this is a strong tendency toward isolation in this particular community. There are natural reasons for this which I understand and which I experienced myself. When you become a revert, you are 'thrown' into an ethnic community that is not your own. You probably don't know the language, don't understand the culture, maybe don't like the food, etc. But you are kind of forced to be in this community in order to fulfill your social obligations. Also, at the same time most reverts don't have particularly good and warm relations with their family after their reversion (most don't, at least in the intro period when the family is still getting used to the new habits and customs of their family member). So in that situation, the natural human tendency is to withdraw within one's self and then become isolated. At the same time, I can tell you from experience that this is the number one reason behind the 'revolving door' of reversion, where people revert and then shortly after that leave the religion of Islam. It is because human being were not meant to live in isolation, I.e. it is an extremely unnatural state to be in as a human, as we are 'hard wired' by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to be social creatures. At the same time, I understand because I went through it myself that the social situations that reverts are put into are sometimes so awkward and difficult that most non reverts would think there is something wrong with someone mentally who would even put themselves in those situations. If you're a revert, I don't need to elaborate on this. If you're not a revert, I probably would have to make a very long post to explain it to you.I have had people who are educated, practicing Muslims who were well known in their communities tell me things like 'If my family wasn't Muslim, I don't think I could be one', etc. These are not non practicing or even marginally practicing members of the community who say this. 

At the same time, if you believe that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is Just, then you also know that He(s.w.a) would not give someone a test which they could not pass. So if you are given a test in life, such as what was stated above, that means that you have the ability to pass it, otherwise you wouldn't be given it. It may be impossible for other people, that's why they were not given that particular test. But it is possible for us. We just have to keep trying till we pass it. I'm still trying and encouraged by the very small amount of success I have found so far. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually this series portrays how the Muslim community really is. Unfortunately, we Muslims live in a lie that our communities are perfect.

Many deep inside are interested in that series, or such series in general. But problem with this forum is most members are quite cute liars suffering from dissociative identity disorder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...