Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AmirioTheMuzzy

Is anyone here unique in their taqleed? (I'm just curious...)

Rate this topic

Is anyone here unique in their taqleed? (I'm just curious...)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. If you click on any of the five choices, you are pretty unique! Congratulations! PLEASE NOTE: "Unique" has NO basis in fiqh.

• I am a Mujtahid (one with the authority to express his/her own legal reasoning).
    • I am a Mujtahid, but I follow a Marja in some areas of fiqh.
    • I am a Muhtat (one who acts with precaution, I.e. knows the rulings of every marja and follows the most DIFFICULT rulings) I.e. legal fatwa shopping (not pejorative).
    • I follow a current Marja-I Taqlid who just so happens to NOT be Sistani, Khamenei, or Sadiq Shirazi (may Allah protect and bless all of our maraji). I.e. I emulate someone who is not super commonly emulated.
    • I [still] follow a deceased Marja-I Taqlid (may Allah perfume all of their graves) [due to having previously followed him or for any other permissible reason].

If you click on any of the five choices, you are pretty unique! Congratulations! PLEASE NOTE: "Unique" has NO basis in fiqh. It is NOT a valid way of making taqlid. I am simply curious. I am weird, and this type of stuff interests me.

Guest Onetime
9 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

@Nevsevug

Masha'Allah, who do you follow?

Can one only attain Islamic knowledge through following a Marja? Can one not attain knowledge through all channels and pools of knowledge collected through the Holy Imams? Before you make a decision of judgement based on your personal study through the holy Imams do you still have to follow up with your local Marja? If ones doesn’t like the ruling of a Marja can he seek another Marja who would give him a better ruling or is that considered like having to masters at once which is frowned upon in the martial world? 

It is somewhat complicated...

3 hours ago, Guest Onetime said:

Can one only attain Islamic knowledge through following a Marja? Can one not attain knowledge through all channels and pools of knowledge collected through the Holy Imams? Before you make a decision of judgement based on your personal study through the holy Imams do you still have to follow up with your local Marja? If ones doesn’t like the ruling of a Marja can he seek another Marja who would give him a better ruling or is that considered like having to masters at once which is frowned upon in the martial world? 

According to most, it is mandatory to follow the most A'lam (learned) Marja, which is usually determined by the subjective opinion of mulitple mujtahid. There are ways to help you narrow your choice down though. Search on Shiachat and you will find a lot of discussion.

NOTE: if you see a ruling that says "recommended precaution" do not confuse this with "obligatory precaution"... these are not the same thing. If something is "recommended precaution" you can choose to totally disregard/ignore this ruling, and you should not refer to another marja's ruling.

NOTE: do not mix up "recommended precaution" with "recommended". "Recommended" simply means that the act is Mustahhab (you will gain rewards in the afterlife for doing this act... I.e. it's not mandatory but it is recommended) 

TLDR; Unless you have the qualifications/authority to follow your own rulings, then you must always follow what your Marja says.

Edit: You can gain knowledge from anyone... you make taqlid in fiqh (verdicts), while making taqlid in beliefs is haram.

Edit 2: Check this video out if you're still confused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bQXU1XSJI&ab_channel=IslamicPulse

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

Guest Onetime
On 4/21/2019 at 1:32 PM, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

It is somewhat complicated...

According to most, it is mandatory to follow the most A'lam (learned) Marja, which is usually determined by the subjective opinion of mulitple mujtahid. There are ways to help you narrow your choice down though. Search on Shiachat and you will find a lot of discussion.

NOTE: if you see a ruling that says "recommended precaution" do not confuse this with "obligatory precaution"... these are not the same thing. If something is "recommended precaution" you can choose to totally disregard/ignore this ruling, and you should not refer to another marja's ruling.

NOTE: do not mix up "recommended precaution" with "recommended". "Recommended" simply means that the act is Mustahhab (you will gain rewards in the afterlife for doing this act... I.e. it's not mandatory but it is recommended) 

TLDR; Unless you have the qualifications/authority to follow your own rulings, then you must always follow what your Marja says.

Edit: You can gain knowledge from anyone... you make taqlid in fiqh (verdicts), while making taqlid in beliefs is haram.

Edit 2: Check this video out if you're still confused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bQXU1XSJI&ab_channel=IslamicPulse

Alhamdulilah I am Mujtahid born and raised Muslim from both perspectives of Sunni and Shia. I am very Capable of coming to my own conclusion of ruling based on years of learning fiqh. However,  I’m from a different land so I don’t align with a particular major Marja who is deceased or A Marja who is alive such as Sistani, Khamanei, Shiraz, Hakim etc. Since I respect all the Marja I would rather study all their rulings in order to find conclusive judgement on a matter. I find it silly to find someone in haraam  lifestyle because he doesn’t pledge to a specific Marja. To me they are all men of learning so they can all be used looked upon as Guidance to a conclusion in matters of fiqh. Unless Imam Mahdi AS  says to follow a specific Marja directly I will not choose one particular Marja and you would have to show me in the Qur'an where it says I have to follow a specific Marja.

9 hours ago, strength=Abbas said:

Well I dunno y but I have a feeling like "does that really matter if we follow a famous marja or anyone else?" 

No, it doesn't matter at all. I was just curious. 

3 hours ago, AStruggler said:

There is a good chance that the famous ones are the most learned ones. 

I know right.  I meant it doesn't make anyone unique if they don't follow a famous marja

11 minutes ago, strength=Abbas said:

I know right.  I meant it doesn't make anyone unique if they don't follow a famous marja

I think it's interesting nonetheless.

Every other "who is your marja?" thread on Shiachat is spammed with "Sayyid Sistani" (ha) and "Sayyid Khamenei" (ha)

Years ago, on the even of his death in 2010, I read some terrifying things about the views of Sayyid Mohammed Hussain Fadlallah and how he was condemned for them by various marājiʿ. For example, the criticism, with the sources from his own works, can be found here and here. He was criticised by various Grand Ayatollahs, such as; the Shirazis, Bashir al-Najafi, Sistani, Tabrizi, Wahid Al-Khorsani, may Allah be pleased with all our scholars, and others. Can one of his muqallids link me some polemical articles or books on this subject? 

Edited by OrthodoxTruth

30 minutes ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

Years ago, on the even of his death in 2010, I read some terrifying things about the views of Sayyid Mohammed Hussain Fadlallah and how he was condemned for them by various marājiʿ. For example, the criticism, with the sources from his own works, can be found here and here. He was criticised by various Grand Ayatollahs, such as; the Shirazis, Bashir al-Najafi, may Allah be pleased with all our scholars, and others. Can one of his muqallids link me some polemical articles or books on this subject? 

The first thing the link you sent said was that he believed that there's a mistake in the Qur'an (astughfurullah).

I opened that exact page, and he quotes a Hadith where Aisha is asked why certain words are spelt (الصلوٰة، الصٰبئون، هٰذٰن) a certain way and not another way (الصلواة، الصابئون، هذان), and she replies that the people writing the Qur'an made a mistake writing it.

In the very next paragraph though, he mentions that there is conflict in this, and the better option would be to believe that Allah has his own reasons to spell it this way and not the other, concluding the paragraph saying Allah is knowledgeable about his verses.

I didn't go through any other ones, because this one was ignorant enough.

Edited by 7ssein

10 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

@Mahdavist
Subhan Allah! Is it as difficult as it sounds?

Salam alaikum brother. To clarify, I do refer to a single marja but I also check other easily available rulings and try to follow the most conservative ruling out of precaution.

The difficulty doesn't lie in following the ruling, since the majority of rules are the same. If one wanted to check each and every rule for each and every marja that ever lived then indeed it would be a very difficult taskto. However, sayed al Sistani mentions precautions in his rulings so by following these precautions you are usually already on the safe side. 

Wallahu a'lam 

Edited by Mahdavist