Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ali ameen

I am Sunni Muslim, is it possible to change my sect? I want to become Shia.

Rate this topic

Guest AbdulKarim_nolaatx
59 minutes ago, Ali ameen said:

ASSLAM O ALAIK

I born in Sunni family and I am Sunni Muslim, is it possible to change my sect? I want to become Shia. and my family is not like this thing, I need your people help what can I do for becoming Shia Muslim.

Bismillah 

May Allah shower his blessings on Muhammad and his Ahlul Bayt 

The best way to be of the Shia is to love Muhammad and his family and to send Salawat  upon Muhammad and his family. You must dislike the enemies of Muhammad and his family. You should follow the rightly guided Holy Imams. The way to following the rightly guided Imams is do all the things that Allah prescribes in the Holy Qur'an and stay away from transgression against Allahs Commands. Following the Prophet and the rightly guided Imams is obeying Allah and this is what makes a true Shia. You don’t have to be an outward Shia meaning you can keep it to yourself or be public if you wish. In fact a true Shia doesn’t do things for show, but for 100 percent the pleasure of Allah. Allah knows who the real Shia are. 

May Allah have mercy on the believing men and believing women. 

On 4/20/2019 at 1:58 PM, ali ameen said:

ASSLAM O ALAIK

I born in Sunni family and I am Sunni Muslim, is it possible to change my sect? I want to become Shia. and my family is not like this thing, I need your people help what can I do for becoming Shia Muslim.

سَلَامٌ عَلَيْكُمُ ادْخُلُوا الْجَنَّةَ بِمَا كُنتُمْ تَعْمَلُونَ 

"Peace be upon you. Enter Paradise for what you used to do."[16:32]

May Allah bless you .. and congratulation my brother

there some differences with Sunni and Shia in beliefs and Fighh/jurisprudence.

the first step is to know Imam Ali (علیه السلام) as a leader and immediate  successor of Prophet That has been chosen by Allah not people 

the seconed step is to know Allah and his attribute with Shia teachings 

the final step is to act according to the Shia Fighh.

the major difference is on beliefs and there is some small difference in Fighh

19 hours ago, Ali ameen said:

ASSLAM O ALAIK

Alaikas Salaam brother, 

There are many people in this world who are born in Sunni family but they convert to shi'ism after finding the true path. You can totally change your sect. 

It's obvious that your family might not like the idea of you accepting the Shia Mazhab but if you follow Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), His Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and his progeny (عليهم اسلام) then your parents disliking it should not matter. You can be Shia and keep it secret from them. 

The only thing that distinguishes people is their Aqaed (beliefs). For becoming Shia, you have to believe in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), His Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and 12 Aimma (عليهم اسلام) after him as appointed by Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم), and their teachings of Usool-e-deen and Furoo-e-deen. 

Feel free to ask if you have any queries. 

On 4/20/2019 at 1:58 PM, ali ameen said:

ASSLAM O ALAIK

Wa alaikuma salam,

Congratulations brother, may Allah guide you to the right path. You don't need your parents approval to become a Shia, you're even allowed to keep it a secret from them. I also recommend you read a book called "Ask those who Know" by Muhammad al Tijani.

fee amanillah

On 4/21/2019 at 6:58 AM, Ali ameen said:

ASSLAM O ALAIK

Salam brother, it would be helpful to know what languages you speak fluently so that I could link you few books to read. Definitely look into al-Tijani’s books for general guidance. He is a Tunisian man from well established Sufi Sunni family, who became a Wahhabi to end up as a Shia Muslim after debating face-to-face various prominent Shia ulama. You may also read books by brother Toyib Olawuyi. Brother Olawuyi was a Nigerian Sunni who converted to Shia Islam and dedicated his life to spreading proper and correct teachings of orthodox Islam. If you have any questions, just ask. Allahu Alam

Fatwa of Al-Azhar’s Grand Imam on Shia

October 19, 2016FatwaFiqh & LifeSociability & RelationsViewpoints

Let your children convert and to embrace Shia School, if someone leaves Maliki or Hanafi Sect, do we criticize him? These children are just leaving fourth school and join the fifth.

The following is the transcript of an interview which was conducted with al-Azhar’s most senior authority, Dr.. Ahmad al-Tayyib with Al Neel Egyptian TV channel.

http://ijtihadnet.com/fatwa-al-azhars-grand-Imam-Shia/

9 hours ago, OrthodoxTruth said:

Salam brother, it would be helpful to know what languages you speak fluently so that I could link you few books to read. Definitely look into al-Tijani’s books for general guidance. He is a Tunisian man from well established Sufi Sunni family, who became a Wahhabi to end up as a Shia Muslim after debating face-to-face various prominent Shia ulama. You may also read books by brother Toyib Olawuyi. Brother Olawuyi was a Nigerian Sunni who converted to Shia Islam and dedicated his life to spreading proper and correct teachings of orthodox Islam. If you have any questions, just ask. Allahu Alam

Al-Tijani's books (or at least Then I Was guided) has too many weak arguments including an example of a false reference (attributing a Shi'I source to a Sunni scholar to bolster a point), so it doesn't offer much in terms of honest academic discussion when trying to seek the truth.

The Qur'an is the main thing that I would suggest reading since if that cannot guide one to Tashayyu, why should one use other books unless to imply the book of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is deficient?

1 hour ago, Ar.alhindi said:

Al-Tijani's books (or at least Then I Was guided) has too many weak arguments including an example of a false reference (attributing a Shi'I source to a Sunni scholar to bolster a point), so it doesn't offer much in terms of honest academic discussion when trying to seek the truth.

The Qur'an is the main thing that I would suggest reading since if that cannot guide one to Tashayyu, why should one use other books unless to imply the book of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is deficient?

You always say things but you never provide any examples. Al Tijani sat down with our prominent ulama and he is way more knowledgeable than you. One can use any credible sources if they are helpful. Nobody, except Sunnis, says that the Qur'an is deficient, however it has to be read with proper tafsir to understand its content. He is a convert to orthodox Islam, therefore he should read books by other converts as a launching pad. 

On 4/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, OrthodoxTruth said:

You always say things but you never provide any examples. Al Tijani sat down with our prominent ulama and he is way more knowledgeable than you. One can use any credible sources if they are helpful. Nobody, except Sunnis, says that the Qur'an is deficient, however it has to be read with proper tafsir to understand its content. He is a convert to orthodox Islam, therefore he should read books by other converts as a launching pad. 

I read it 4 years ago when I first became Muslim and I searched each reference he listed and also researched the counter arguments as I read it and compared the strength of each point; I am not going to sit here rereading 140 pages to refute every point, but for example he attributes Kitāb al-Imāma wal-Siyāsa to Sheikh Ibn Qutaybah of Ahlus Sunnah. In reality it is likely a Shia book with no known author, heavily narrating a Twelver-centric narrative of the happenings after the death of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). That is just one critque I remember off of the top of my head, but I recall most points he made either had solid counter arguments or he was otherwise making weak ones. 

2 minutes ago, Ar.alhindi said:

I read it 4 years ago when I first became Muslim and I searched each reference he listed and also researched the counter arguments as I read it and compared the strength of each point; I am not going to sit here rereading 140 pages to refute every point,

Yeah that’s what I thought. No examples, just opinions based upon own’s prejudice. I’m pretty sure you spend just doing that. I love it how the reverts know better than the ulama that spends years researching particular topics. Case closed. 

but for example he attributes Kitāb al-Imāma wal-Siyāsa to Sheikh Ibn Qutaybah of Ahlus Sunnah. In reality it is likely a Shia book with no known author, heavily narrating a Twelver-centric narrative of the happenings after the death of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). 

It is a common knowledge that the Kitāb al-Imāma wal-Siyāsa was authored by Ibn Qutaybah. Sunnis always play this game that if an author slowly reaches the facts and truths, he had/has to be an orthodox Muslim. You do it with multiple Sunni scholars, not only Qutaybah. Ibn al Nadim and countless others too. Some modern Sunnis even accuse al Tabari of being a crypto-Shia because he recorded ahadith such as that Uthman was killed by other Sahaba “for changing Allah’s religion” :grin:, and because it doesn’t suit Sunni narrative that the first three were all this and that, Tabari slowly becomes a Shi’ite. Matter of time I guess. 

That is just one critque I remember off of the top of my head, but I recall most points he made either had solid counter arguments or he was otherwise making weak ones. 

The burden of proof is upon you and not him when you criticise. I remember studying books from the unauathentic Six,  through Ibn Taymiyyah to modern day Sunni authors and all were weak and easily refutable. That’s why till now there isn’t even one Sunni book that will convince me to leave orthodox Islam. Not even one.