Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
AaronS

How many of you have read some of the Bible?

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, Simon the Canaanite said:

Hello, I’ve read a few parts, and have it in my home, it was gifted to my sister, by a close friend of ours.

It’s also available in Iran, there are also churches, constructed in the Safavid era, by the fair Shi’ite king, Ishmael:

Shah_Ismail_I.jpg

his mother was a Christian 

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halima_(mère_d'Ismail_Ier)

Name and Lineage

Isma'il Mirza, known as Isma'il I, the son of Shaykh Haydar, was born in Ardabil on Tuesday Rajab 25, 892/July 26, 1487. His lineage goes back to Shaykh Safi al-Din Ardabili through 5 generations. His mother, Baygum Agha, was the daughter of Uzun Hasan Aq Qoyunlu. The original name of Isma'il's mother was Marta; she remained a Christian until her death, and was buried in the monument of Shaykh Safi al-Din al-Ardabili.

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Isma'il_I

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

I have a bible in my house which I read a big part. I read most of the new testatement and some parts of the old testament (the old testament is very long). I found the old testament very boring and difficult to read and found it in some parts very strange and full of non senses but there were also many interesting things. About new testament this is shorter than old testament but I was a little disappointed to see that the majority of the new testament is in reality written by Paul Of Tarsus who never meet Issa (عليه السلام) and finally the parts talking strictly about Issa (عليه السلام) are very short (in particular when we compare it with all the stories we have about Muhammad (عليه السلام) and his family (عليه السلام) ) and I find it again interresting to read but I don’t see how we could really manage a society with that (there are some general guidelines of moral but too few laws for really show how to manage in a good way a society) so yes I had read parts of the bible some years ago approximately.

Edited by Mohammadi_follower

On 4/24/2019 at 3:30 AM, Mohammadi_follower said:

About new testament this is shorter than old testament but I was a little disappointed to see that the majority of the new testament is in reality written by Paul Of Tarsus who never meet Issa (عليه السلام) and finally the parts talking strictly about Issa (عليه السلام) are very short (in particular when we compare it with all the stories we have about Muhammad (عليه السلام) and his family (عليه السلام) ) 

Right. Of course in Acts it says that Paul actually did meet Jesus, on the road to Damascus. Acts chapter 9.  

To your last point, would you agree that there is far more about the life and purpose of Jesus (ie what he taught, how he lived, about his death and resurrection etc) in the gospels than in the Qu'ran? It just seems like there is very little said about Jesus in the Qu'ran, and what is said is significantly different from the gospel accounts. Let me know what you think.

On 4/24/2019 at 3:30 AM, Mohammadi_follower said:

I find it again interresting to read but I don’t see how we could really manage a society with that (there are some general guidelines of moral but too few laws for really show how to manage in a good way a society) so yes I had read parts of the bible some years ago approximately.

Yes, I agree with that. Of course, the Old Testament has an enormous amount of civil law to govern the kingdom (in the days of David, Solomon, etc), but Christ says in Matthew 5 that he came to fulfill all of the law.

I think the New Testament was never intended to govern a society. It isn't a book of rules or laws that are designed to manage a government etc, rather, it shows what the life of a Christian should look like and how someone can enter into that new life through faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus. 

A good example is Ephesians 2. 'For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God. Not a result of works, so that no one can boast'

We believe that Christ will one day rule in a physical kingdom on this Earth, but for now he is ruling in the hearts of people who have been transformed by his grace.

Does that make sense?

I have read much of the 4 gospels, though didn't read virtually everything as of yet, I am focusing on the Qur'an. I am close to finishing Matthew.

Edited by M.IB

I have read some of it. Genesis OT up till the part where, astaghfirullah, Lot's daughters intoxicate him and (...) astaghfirullah, and then the book where Jesus confronts the Jews and they try to have him say something against the Romans, asking him about taxes.

In Pakistan, the Bible is widely available, for free.

Edited by Darth Vader

I went to a Catholic school, we (me and my Muslim friends) were forced to read it for several years. 

I grew up Catholic and went to Catholic school until the 8th grade. Mass was in Latin. So I didn't learn much from the Bible there. I believed I needed a priest or nun to explain it to me. So I decided I would be a nun when I grew up. In Catechism class, I saw a picture of Jesus surrounded by little children. I imagined I was the little girl in a beautiful white dress sitting on Jesus' lap. I finally met Jesus when I was 22, in 1976. I wasn't an innocent girl. I was a sinful woman. But He wanted me anyway. Giving my heart to Jesus changed my mind so that I wanted to read the Bible and learn more about Him. I couldn't read it enough. I've read it almost every day since then. It's like being in love. It just keeps getting better. I love the gospels. They melt my heart. This probably sounds crazy...My favorite book is Revelation. I can't wait to see Jesus in His glory and worship the Father with many saints from every nation.

1 hour ago, MartyS said:

Mass was in Latin

Wow! When did the Church change from Latin Mass to the local language? We had a priest who would occasionally read Mass in Latin, but he always announced it in advance and there was an English language Mass on the same day. I actually enjoyed Latin Mass, but that was probably due to the novelty and the fact that I studied Latin in school. 

NotMe,

I don't remember exactly when mass started being in English. It may have been in the early or mid 60's. (Are there any Catholics who can help me?) I think it is very cool that you studied Latin. I wished I would have. Are you in medicine?

16 minutes ago, MartyS said:

NotMe,

I don't remember exactly when mass started being in English. It may have been in the early or mid 60's. (Are there any Catholics who can help me?) I think it is very cool that you studied Latin. I wished I would have. Are you in medicine?

No, engineering and ecology, but when I was a child I was undecided and the Latin teacher was a fun teacher.