Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
AaronS

How many of you have read some of the Bible?

Rate this topic

My favorite is the book of Job. It sounds scandalous to some Muslims from what I've read here and there, but something like this:

20Are not my days few? cease then, and let me alone, that I may take comfort a little,
21Before I go whence I shall not return, even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;
22A land of darkness, as darkness itself; and of the shadow of death, without any order, and where the light is as darkness.

...can help you when you're a teenager and you feel like the world is against you. 

Also, the New Testament has the best prayer ever for an agnostic. I have yet to find its equal and it's only two phrases.  I dunno if it has an actual name. I call it the agnostic's prayer:

Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!”

Edited by GabrielWithoutWings
Grammar

Ecclesiastes 12 King James Version (KJV)

1 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;

2 While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain:

3 In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened...

Many metaphors, more follow but this takes a bit to digest already.

While I'm here, I'll share this...

Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.

Years ago I had a neighbour who was a bit strange. I got to know him a bit and he told me of his days of LSD. He then told me of one time he took "window pane", a form of LSD, and he left his body, hovered around 20 meters above his body for about 45 minutes. I asked him what he was thinking and he said; all he could think was how much he wanted to get back in his body. Understandable. I asked him if he was totally adrift or if he felt any connection to his body and he said there was a cord, "It was really cool, it was like silver but I couldn't grab it" All I could say was "That's biblical"

That stuck with me.

On 4/20/2019 at 11:49 PM, AaronS said:

Hello, I'm interested to know how many here have read some or all of the Bible. Which parts? How available is it in your country?

I read Old Testament initial few chapters about Prophet Adam (عليه السلام) and Lady Eve (عليه السلام), till Prophet Ishmael (عليه السلام) stay near Mount Paran.

I read Bible initial few chapters but stopped, because I needed to read it in continuation after Old Testament. But I am not going to start old testament soon, because there are some works to do.

I’ve studied the Jewish Bible in depth, as well as many of the major sources of Jewish tradition.  I’ve read through the Gospels and most of the Epistles, as well, but don’t know them in depth.

On 4/21/2019 at 6:49 AM, AaronS said:

Hello, I'm interested to know how many here have read some or all of the Bible. Which parts? How available is it in your country?

Of course I've read the Bible, who hasn't? 

I've read lots of apocrypha and non-canonical texts too. The early church pumped out some crazy stuff, as well as stuff like Marcionism, the Ebionites, the Gnostic sects, Nazarenes etc. 

I've also dug into Judaism and it's own unique texts of many kinds (including the Hekhalot literature). 

My favorite texts in the Bible (either OT or NT) tend to actually be the wisdom literature rather than the more core texts. Ecclesiastes, Job, Ezekiel and the 'Gospel' of John are probably my favorite texts in the Bible. The Apocalypse of john (also known as "The Book of Revelation") is also a fun read but is essentially a work of occultism tagged onto the end of the Bible.

The Bible otherwise is little more than a cursory look for me as I don't see it to be valid scripture. Judaism and Christianity are still interesting but yeah.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, GabrielWithoutWings said:

My favorite is the book of Job. It sounds scandalous to some Muslims from what I've read here and there, but something like this:

...can help you when you're a teenager and you feel like the world is against you. 

Job has always been my favorite book. Because it's something that at times, I feel like we can all relate to. Going through trial after trial, all the suffering and pain. Then at the end of the book when everyone is ready for an explanation, God's just like...eh, check out my behemoth, I do what I want, I'm God.

That and I saw Ecclesiastes quoted. Probably my second favorite book. From dust to dust. Always makes me feel warm inside knowing that everything I've worked for in life, everyone I've loved, and everything I identify with, will fade away into non-existence. At least as the physical world is described.

Edited by iCenozoic

I read some of the Bible from a website (I forgot the name, but it had the word bible in it). It was interesting to know that Hijab, praying, polygamy, etc. were discussed in the Bible too. I think it would be interesting to find these verses in the Bible and search for it. I've seen some Christian women in Hijab. It's exactly Islamic Hijab. They cover all parts of the body except face and hands up to wrist. Clothes are loose and does not show body projections. I saw few of them in US, Midwest.

I think you are Christian. Qur'an has a verse that says: " The closes people to Muslims in friendship are Christians. Those who are holy people and obeying God". Page 121, Qur'an

Iran leader visited a family who lost their son in Iran-Iraq war. The Christian parents were very happy. Here's the video. Look at the Christian woman how she smiles

Edited by Quran313

I've read enough of it. 

It's comical and quite saddening to see that there exist people even today in 2019 who believe it is the "inerrant" "word of God"

You cannot even get through the first three chapters of Genesis without noting contradictions and discrepancies. 

It's clear these texts have gone through many hands, many redactions and much editorial work where we can conclude that the present day "Bible" does not contain the original Revelations given to the Prophets in it's original pure form. It's truth mixed with falsehood.

Edited by Abu Shareef

On 7/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, GabrielWithoutWings said:

My favorite is the book of Job. It sounds scandalous to some Muslims from what I've read here and there, but something like this

Job is the oldest book ni the Bible and its language is somewhat close to Arabie.

The most famous line is in Job Ch.1: "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."  Lord =God of Noah-(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

On 7/19/2019 at 6:45 AM, iCenozoic said:

Job has always been my favorite book. Because it's something that at times, I feel like we can all relate to.

Not me. When I read or have re-read Job, I get very tired of his whining.

Besides, it is a literary device that Allah -(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). spoke to Job.