Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
AaronS

How many of you have read some of the Bible?

Rate this topic

I read the entire Bible, but it was a while back. I have several different translations, including one with the apocryphal books. They were all gifts, but are easily available in my country in almost any bookstore. 

Guest Itsme

I have a copy of the New Testament, and I have read through large swathes of it, and also parts of the Psalms. I have also watched a lot of defenders classes from William Lane Craig, maybe hundreds of hours worth, discussing topics from the Trinity to Atonement and have taken in more of the text that way. 

Guest AbdulKarim_nolaatx
On 4/20/2019 at 1:49 PM, AaronS said:

Hello, I'm interested to know how many here have read some or all of the Bible. Which parts? How available is it in your country?

Salam wa laikum 

May Allah shower his blessings on Muhammad and his Ahlul Bayt. 

Alhamdulilah as a kid I grew up in New Orleans and good public schools were limited. So as a Muslim kid I went to Christian private schools. I attended a Lutheran Christian primary school and middle school and then attended an all boy catholic high school which had brothers of sacred heart monks.  So of course this came with the territory of a lots of bible reading studies and classes through out my youth. 

I grew up in Belgium and went to church every Wednesday as part of school although I am a Shia Muslim. I also remember reading a serious of books on the stories from the bible later in life and when I worked in a museum I browsed through a copy of the bible oh. Also in school in the United Kingdom we were given small copies of the bible , I had no objection and thought it was a fanciable thing but my Muslim fellow was very angry at me for accepting a copy of the bible. I just thought it was a nice free object to have.

Edited by Murtaza1

On 4/22/2019 at 10:50 AM, ChristianVisitor said:

I have read the entire Bible.

Do you have a favorite book? And if so, why?

I'm fond of the Psalms and Proverbs, because I can always find wisdom in them and the writing (at least in most translations) is beautiful. 

I like the Book of Hebrews. It talks about the importance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins. 

I also really like the Psalms and Proverbs. They give excellent comfort and advice for those struggling with walking the Christian path. 

Thanks everyone for replying. It's really interesting to me.

The reason that I asked is because I've gotten a variety of responses when talking to my Muslim friends. A lot of them say that they really love Jesus, but they've never read the gospels which are all about Jesus! So I was curious to see what all of you said.

1 hour ago, shadow_of_light said:

Some parts of old and new testaments as well as some parts of the gospel of Barnaba. I love Psalms. It is beautiful.

How available is the Bible in Iran? Just curious.

I have read the Bible in its entirety in English once and often am reading sections of it due to my studies. I study various classical languages which were important Biblically, including the languages the Bible was written in. I hope to read the Bible entirely in the languages it was written in soon. And since I live in Canada, Bibles are very easy to get (including in Latin, Hebrew, and Greek, though, unfortunately for me, not in Syriac, Ge'ez, or Coptic).

Guest Enquire
2 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

I have read the Bible in its entirety in English once and often am reading sections of it due to my studies. I study various classical languages which were important Biblically, including the languages the Bible was written in. I hope to read the Bible entirely in the languages it was written in soon. And since I live in Canada, Bibles are very easy to get (including in Latin, Hebrew, and Greek, though, unfortunately for me, not in Syriac, Ge'ez, or Coptic).

How are you able to learn so many languages and read complex text on top of that? How many hours of learning is involved and how long has this taken you? This is probably the most impressive thing I have seen in language ever on this forum. 

As salaamun aleikum, 

Im X Catholic/Christian and attended Catholic school up til 4th grade. Ive read the Old and New Testament numerous times.

I have a few different Bibles in my book collection , a concordance, as well as a small pocket size copy I keep of the New Testament  in my vehicle. It was given to me in a parkinglot one day by a little old lady:) 

As others have mentioned, Psalms and Proverbs as well as specific sayings attributed to Jesus(عليه السلام) throughout the New Testament are my favorites. 

W/s

Edited by shia farm girl

Hello, I’ve read a few parts, and have it in my home, it was gifted to my sister, by a close friend of ours.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:22 PM, AaronS said:

It’s also available in Iran, there are also churches, constructed in the Safavid era, by the fair Shi’ite king, Ishmael:

Shah_Ismail_I.jpg

Edited by Simon the Canaanite

When I started to look into Monotheism about 30 years ago I read the Bible and the Qur'an synchronously. Both books stand side by side on my bookshelves.
I also read passages form both books along side other religious literature in my university studies on comparative religion.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:49 AM, AaronS said:

Hello, I'm interested to know how many here have read some or all of the Bible. Which parts? How available is it in your country?

Hi Aaron

Welcome to this site, my friend.

In answer to your question, I would like to tell you that I have read the three synoptic gospels and the Acts several times because in my Catholic school in India, they were part of my school curriculum.

On my own, later in life, I have read all five books of the Pentateuch and a few others after those five books.

I had planned to finish the whole Bible but I was caught up with other things and left it at that.

In India, there is no dearth of Bibles.

There are many Christian institutions.

We have a significant Christian population there.

Edited by baqar

On 4/23/2019 at 7:22 AM, AaronS said:

According to the Iranian Constitution, there has to a Christian member of Parliament at all times.  

I believe there is a significant Christian population in Iran and you may not find the Bible in every bookshop but it should be available if you contact a Christian shop.