Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Akbar673

If a Shi'a runs for office in the U.S.

Rate this topic

:salam:

A question for everyone here. If a Shi'a decided to run for political office in the U.S., how would you feel about that?

Do keep in mind that the elected Shi'a would have to make inroads to certain groups that aren't exactly Islamic, such as Pro-Abortion groups, LGBTQ groups, Jewish groups that don't agree with the Israeli approach to Palestine (JStreet, JVP, etc...), Defense contractors, as well as throwing in with any other group that the Republican/Evangelical lobby isn't aligned with. Otherwise without the financial support and endorsements that those groups provide its very difficult for a regular person to get elected.

However, what would you think if aligning with these groups helps a Shi'a get elected? We'd have a Shi'a representation in govt., we'd have someone who could speak for Shi'a issues, we'd have someone who in a roundabout way would increase the curiosity towards the Ahle Bayt (عليه السلام).  

Also, would you have a problem with a Shi'a elected official having their own opinion on topics such as Iran (not every Shi'a in the U.S. is pro-Iran), if they didn't agree with WF as valid political system, etc...or if they had their own opinions on anything else that wouldn't conform with the opinions other Shi'a hold?

I'm curious to know how people would feel if a Shi'a somehow miraculously got elected. Its not easy for any Muslim in poltics these days in the U.S. Ilhan Omar is getting butchered day in and day out. (Saudi is financing a good portion of the negative propoganda against her BTW)

It depends on the individual, but being Shia would count in their favor, in my opinion. I can't guarantee I'd vote for them - that would depend on their stances on other issues that are important to me. 

Just now, notme said:

It depends on the individual, but being Shia would count in their favor, in my opinion. I can't guarantee I'd vote for them - that would depend on their stances on other issues that are important to me. 

Do you mean in their favor personally with you, or overall ?

Also, if their position on issues didn't pair up with yours, the fact that they are Shi'a wouldn't sway you in their favor regardless?

3 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

Do you mean in their favor personally with you, or overall ?

Also, if their position on issues didn't pair up with yours, the fact that they are Shi'a wouldn't sway you in their favor regardless?

I mean me, personally. To be honest, it would probably count against them a great deal in certain circles.

No candidate is going to have exactly the same views as any other individual voter, and having the same religion is likely to lead to similar values, and therefore similar political stances. But if a Shia Muslim political candidate were, say for example, opposed funding public education, social safety net programs, infrastructure, in favor of increasing funding to military, I certainly would not vote for them. 

Last statistic I read said that only 3% of the US population is Muslim, and worldwide, less than 20% of Muslims are Shia. A Shia candidate to public office in the US isn't going to be able to rely on the vote of his or her co-religionists. He or she will need a much broader appeal. 

To be honest I prefer to keep Shia religion safe and exclusive away from mass media propaganda and popular culture because they would just attack it and say horrible things. People should seek truth themselves and not rely on any ponce leader whatever religion they may be, apart from the awaited Mahdi of course (May Allah subhana wa tala hasten his reappearance) 

46 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

To be honest I prefer to keep Shia religion safe and exclusive away from mass media propaganda and popular culture because they would just attack it and say horrible things.

Ummm...that's already been happening for over 20 years.

47 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

People should seek truth themselves and not rely on any ponce leader whatever religion they may be

ok, so who will set legislation, policy as well as speaking out against anti-Shia policies and legislation? Are we only supposed to seek truth and let the govt. do whatever they wish?

1 hour ago, Akbar673 said:

Ummm...that's already been happening for over 20 years.

The best we can do is not encourage them further 

1 hour ago, Akbar673 said:

ok, so who will set legislation, policy as well as speaking out against anti-Shia policies and legislation? Are we only supposed to seek truth and let the govt. do whatever they wish?

I am only against the idea of somebody representing Shia Islam to be a public figure in the west especially on such a high level. I think it is important to have Shia representatives in western politics but only behind the scenes setting legislation. 

In the United Kingdom high ranking Muslim ministers and police figures have been publicly tormented and their careers and life's destroyed by the media. So imagine what could befall a minority within a minority. 

Edited by Murtaza1

2 hours ago, notme said:

A Shia candidate to public office in the US isn't going to be able to rely on the vote of his or her co-religionists.

Your right and imagine the crap that Sunnis would give them as well, probably more from them than others 

7 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

A question for everyone here. If a Shi'a decided to run for political office in the U.S., how would you feel about that?

Do keep in mind that the elected Shi'a would have to make inroads to certain groups that aren't exactly Islamic, such as Pro-Abortion groups, LGBTQ groups, Jewish groups that don't agree with the Israeli approach to Palestine (JStreet, JVP, etc...), Defense contractors, as well as throwing in with any other group that the Republican/Evangelical lobby isn't aligned with. Otherwise without the financial support and endorsements that those groups provide its very difficult for a regular person to get elected.

However, what would you think if aligning with these groups helps a Shi'a get elected? We'd have a Shi'a representation in govt., we'd have someone who could speak for Shi'a issues, we'd have someone who in a roundabout way would increase the curiosity towards the Ahle Bayt (عليه السلام).  

Also, would you have a problem with a Shi'a elected official having their own opinion on topics such as Iran (not every Shi'a in the U.S. is pro-Iran), if they didn't agree with WF as valid political system, etc...or if they had their own opinions on anything else that wouldn't conform with the opinions other Shi'a hold?

I'm curious to know how people would feel if a Shi'a somehow miraculously got elected. Its not easy for any Muslim in poltics these days in the U.S. Ilhan Omar is getting butchered day in and day out. (Saudi is financing a good portion of the negative propoganda against her BTW)

What would you think of a Shia that is in the caliphate of Yazid? Would you promote him because he could give Shias a voice in the oppressive tyranny of Yazid?

2 hours ago, Lebanese313 said:

What would you think of a Shia that is in the caliphate of Yazid? Would you promote him because he could give Shias a voice in the oppressive tyranny of Yazid?

There were companions of Imams (عليه السلام) who worked for the tyrannical Ummayad rulers after being instructed by the Imam (عليه السلام) to do so. Nothing wrong being in the system to fight the system, or using your authority to protect Shia Islam and it's followers.  

9 hours ago, Lebanese313 said:

Salam also Imam Reza (عليه السلام) accepted to be Successor of Mamun when some Shias criticized him for acceptance of this position he said Prophet Yusuf (عليه السلام) & Danial (عليه السلام) take same position as me while the rulers of their time were  non believer and tyrant & Mamun at least is a Muslim also Imam Ali (عليه السلام) participated in council of Umar for choosing third caliph

http://wiki.ahlolbait.ir/ولايتعهدى_امام_رضا_عليه_السلام

http://www.pasokhgoo.ir/node/3971

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Imam_al-Rida's_(a)_Succession_of_al-Ma'mun

16 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

such as Pro-Abortion groups, LGBTQ groups, Jewish groups that don't agree with the Israeli approach to Palestine (JStreet, JVP, etc...), Defense contractors,

if a Shia Muslim without accepting & associating of these groups takes an office it has no objection to runs an office in U.S but rationally it's not possible but if a miracle happens it will be ok but if he/she get help from these groups it's against Islamic teachings & she/he must not align with them & must take support & money from Muslims 

16 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

I wont have problem with this issues if a Shia Muslim through true ways will elect  although he will be questined about this issue in this position 

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

2 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam also Imam Reza (عليه السلام) accepted to be Successor of Mamun when some Shias criticized him for acceptance of this position he said Prophet Yusuf (عليه السلام) & Danial (عليه السلام) take same position as me while the rulers of their time were  non believer and tyrant & Mamun at least is a Muslim also Imam Ali (عليه السلام) participated in council of Umar for choosing third caliph

http://www.pasokhgoo.ir/node/3971

http://en.wikishia.net/view/Imam_al-Rida's_(a)_Succession_of_al-Ma'mun

if a Shia Muslim without accepting & associating of these groups takes an office it has no objection to runs an office in U.S but rationally it's not possible but if a miracle happens it will be ok but if he/she get help from these groups it's against Islamic teachings & she/he must not align with them & must take support & money from Muslims 

I wont have problem with this issues if a Shia Muslim through true ways will elect  although he will be questined about this issue in this position 

9 hours ago, starlight said:

There were companions of Imams (عليه السلام) who worked for the tyrannical Ummayad rulers after being instructed by the Imam (عليه السلام) to do so. Nothing wrong being in the system to fight the system, or using your authority to protect Shia Islam and it's followers.  

Thank you, you actually convinced me with these examples 

WS

1 hour ago, Lebanese313 said:

Didn’t he only accept it because if he didn’t his family was going to be killed by al Ma’mun?

Salam he himself threatened  to death by. Amun if he didn’t accept Mamuniya successorship that he said if it wasn’t for not putting my life in danger of  death I wouldn’t accept successorship of Mamun.

Islam and political Activism-Dr..Sayed Ammar Nakhshawani 

Islam and importanceof intention -Dr..Sayed Ammar Nakhshawani 

a

16 hours ago, Lebanese313 said:

Absolutely yes. If there is anywhere that a Shi'a voice was and is needed is in the halls of those that seek to degrade and marginalize us. The only way to not only reverse the evil is by sounding the voice of logic in the ears of those that crave money and power at the expense of the truth. What would you say about the wife and son of Yazid that went to Yazid and told him to release the Ahle Bayt (عليه السلام) from prison? Isn't that a classic example of how a Shi'a needs to be deepest in the administration to speak directly and firmly to the villain?

14 hours ago, starlight said:

Many times the best way to do that is to speak with dignity and decency to those that would attack or marginalize not only Shi'a but also extending that to all Muslims, as well as to any other group that is being intentionally degraded for the purposes of immoral gains.

7 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

in the U.S. you can't even make it onto a ballot without the support and endorsements from these groups. However, the bigger problem is that the Republicans have claimed Anti-Abortion, Anti-Gay positions as their own. No Muslim in their right mind should even go within a mile of being a Republican. As such, Muslims need to align themselves with the Democrats. Quite the dilemma. Also, there's only 4 million Muslims in the U.S. and most do not donate at a sufficient level. You can't run on only support from Muslims, its not enough.

17 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

Your right and imagine the crap that Sunnis would give them as well, probably more from them than others 

More the reason for a Shi'a to run in my opinion. Politics and elected office isn't for the weak or the ignorant. If a Shi'a is running in an election its assumed that attacks will come. Its up to the Shi'a to maintain akhlaq, dignity and morality in their responses.

I think it is important to have Shia representatives in western politics but only behind the scenes setting legislation.

That's been happening for decades already. (I.e. Ahmed Chalabi). Its time for a Shi'a to step forward.

In the United Kingdom high ranking Muslim ministers and police figures have been publicly tormented and their careers and life's destroyed by the media. So imagine what could befall a minority within a minority.

but isn't that caving into the attacks? The attackers are successful then in suppressing Shi'as then. Where are Shi'a not attacked that we have to fear political propoganda attacks? The only way to gain the support of the general masses is to come across as moral, inclusive and to disaprove the lies that are being pushed. A scumbag with a history of deceit and lack of character will of course be attacked because the attacks are true. You need an honest person with no baggage who can disprove the attacks by projecting morality and honesty. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

@Akbar673 are you or someone you know considering running for an elected office? 

Would you vote for me if I did ?...:D

On a side note, a Shi'a by the name of Yasmine Taeb is running for State Senate in Virginia. As is an Ahmediyya Muslim named Qasim Rashid in Virginia as well.

Edited by Akbar673