Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Doing taqlid of multiple scholars

Rate this topic

aaaaaa

• Advanced Member

I’ve been told that it has been allowed by the maraja that you are allowed to follow multiple scholars assuming they’re all learned. I know you can practice based on who has the most strict rule but today I was told you can also practice based on who has the most convincing/backed up rule. Is this true? 

• Advanced Member
52 minutes ago, aaaaaa said:

I’ve been told that it has been allowed by the maraja that you are allowed to follow multiple scholars assuming they’re all learned. I know you can practice based on who has the most strict rule but today I was told you can also practice based on who has the most convincing/backed up rule. Is this true? 

Salam, it is not allowed to follow multiple marājiʿ, because they differ on multiple issues. It’s not allowed to “pick and choose” various rulings from different ones and live by it. As a muqalid, it’s wajib upon you to do taqlid to one marja’ of your choice whose teachings you know, agree with and follow till his death. It’s makrooh to do taqlid to a deceased marja’.

• Advanced Member

For following maraji', sheikh Hamza Sodagar has a very nice lecture that explains everything about it.

Basically, if you find different scholars more knowledgeable in one area, but not in another, you can follow them in their own areas. As in, if, for example, Sayed Sistani is more knowledgeable in terms of Salah rules, but Imam Khamenei is more knowledgeable in terms of inter-sex interaction rules, you can follow each in their own areas. I'm not sure how you would come to this conclusion though.

If you find two scholars (only two) are at the exact same level of knowledge, you can pick from their fatawa.

If you are not sure who is more knowledgeable between two scholars, you must follow the stricter fatwa.

If you find one scholar who is the most knowledgeable, or the a'lam, you must follow his ruling.

There is an exception though. If there is a precaution (even a wajib precaution/wajib ihtiyatan) ruling for the a'lam marja', you can choose to follow any other marja'.

In terms of following a less knowledgeable marja' in a certain fatwa (e.g. a'lam marja' says something is Haram, less knowledgeable says makruh), you can't do this.

Source:

• 5 months later...