Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Itsme

What is special about us?

Rate this topic

Guest Itsme

Asalamualaykum,

I am proud to be a Shia, and I am convinced that the madhab of Muhammed and ale Muhammed (asws) is the most correct and upright. However, I don't particularly feel (myself included) there is anything special about we, the Shia, compared to any other major group or body, particularly the Sunnis. 

I don't see a difference in intelligence, nor a difference in Akhlaq, nor a difference in the ability to dissect ideas, nor in being just , nor in warding away superstition. The only difference really tends to be that most of us happened to be born in the right group (yes, reverts exist in all groups), and we tend to hold the truth and argue on behalf of it, but as a group of people, I fail to see what makes us different to any other large body who generally happened to be born upon a different belief system. 

I am asking because this is a question that has been deeply troubling me, despite my certainty in Shia Islam which will never waver, because I follow it based on the Qur'an and Sunnah (preserved by ale Muhammed) , and had it been because of the people, I would have left a long time ago. Don't get me wrong, the beliefs we hold, and the arguments we put forth for core beliefs is unmatched. I don't however, see anything special about us beyond that. I don't see anything special about myself that somehow has allowed me to belong to the right religion, the right sect within that religion, representing a small fraction of the total human population today.

I know that Imam al-Khomeini (may Allah bless his soul) argued something (very vaguely) similar, and Sayed Kamal al-Hayderi also touched on this himself - but the website page is no longer open to the general public on brother @Ibn al-Hussain website for me to gain clarity on exactly what was said, or post the actual statements made, so I could be wrong here.

I want anyone who can to help me see, to help me understand why I feel this way and if I should be feeling this way. 

To be honest, you should be feeling blessed that you feel this way because you won't become arrogant as a result of being Shia. Instead, saying Alhamdulilah for being Shia would suffice, because we Shias have a greater chance of being in Jannat inshallah. And that to me, is a blessing. Not something to be proud and arrogant about, not something to be scared of, not something to look down on others. Honestly, brother/sister, I'm more concerned for our Shias who think they are God's gift to the universe and that they are somehow "the chosen ones" and handpicked, so to speak, by Allah. And that, in my opinion can be our downfall, due to the Shaitan (LA on him a million times) messing with us as a result. We are not special. Allah has only blessed us with guidance and wisdom. We should be thankful only to Him as a result of this. 

You could say that we Shias becoming arrogant as a result is also a test. Will we become arrogant as a result of His mercy, and destroy ourselves, or will we be thankful and do good to others. At the end of the day, wether we are Sunni or Shia has little importance if we are bad people. Maybe Allah will forgive a Sunni for his transgressions in faith, and in his/her practices, if his/her intentions were good, and perhaps not forgive some arrogant Shias who would treat others horribly and still have the audacity to boast about Ziarat and Hajj and never miss a prayer. Prayers done the correct way, fasting, ziarat, etc, is supposed to serve as reminders to be good to others, not be a source of arrogance. If one becomes arrogant just for being a Shia, then it's clear that such a person has learned nothing at all about Islam or what the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) taught us. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

In the end, we are all just people. And that's what matters. None of us are special. Only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is and His messengers and the Prophet (عليه السلام) and The Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) are special. The rest of us are just ordinary people. Some of us have a head start to Jannat for being Shia and a good person, and others have to find it to be forgiven, and others will be forgiven due to Allah's (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) mercy. We are all capable of being either the best or the worst of creation. 

EDIT: I forgot to answer your original question. You probably feel this way because you likely realize the deeper side of these issues. That people are multi-dimensional, and that appearances, saying you're a Shia or a Sunni, mean nothing if you aren't a good enough person. So often we think that someone is good just because they look Islamic on the outside, or when we label ourselves as one or another. You probably realize that labels mean nothing. Some Sunnis are exceptional people. Some Shias are despicable and an embarrassment. To be honest, we bring the embarrassment upon ourselves with defending practices (this goes for Sunnis too, especially on Niqab and FGM practices.) that have no basis in reality or of the Sunnah of the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام). Instead we all, wether Sunni or Shia, mix in practices due to cultural and call it Islam. Since Shias are a minority, cultural practices can overtake religion, and that's what makes some Sunnis better than some Shias. 

Edited by Islandsandmirrors

Salam...

There is nothing special about us. 

Except one thing, we are not detached with the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) spritually. This is something special if we know about it.  We are not cut off from our Ulil Amr.

In your statement you said " because I follow it based on the Qur'an and Sunnah (preserved by ale Muhammed).

Instead, the special way shall read ...we follow the Qur'an and Ahlul Bayt.

Sunnis are not spiritually connected to Abu Bakr, Omar and the rest of their sahabahs.  Sunnis claimed that they are following Qur'an and Sunnah.  They follow Qur'an and whatever the Sahabahs had recorded from the Prophet and sunnah of the two Sheikhs (Abu Bakr and Omar).

In conclusion (for me):

1.  We are not special as compared to other humans.  We are just humans.

2. The special part is Qur'an and Ahlul Bayt.

3. We are shown on how to access to that special part.

It is up to all humans to seek closeness to that special part which Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) said in Qur'an 33:56.  Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and Angels already show closeness to Rasul and Ahlul Bayt.

Wassalam.

4 hours ago, Guest Itsme said:

but the website page is no longer open to the general public on brother @Ibn al-Hussain website for me to gain clarity on exactly what was said, or post the actual statements made, so I could be wrong here. 

You can access the articles after signing up (there should be a registration panel visible on the right side of the website).

Wasalam

When Hazrat Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) told the martyrdom of Imam Hussain to Hazrat Fatima she cried and replied that none will be there to weep over my Hussain? Hazrat Muhammad replied to her that Allah has created group of people ( Shia) [ although this is not proper quoted words I will find the tradition] 

Also Hazrat Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) told Hazrat Ali that remember your enemy will never be your friend no matter if you give him the whole world and your follower will never be your enemy no matter if you cut him in pieces he will still be your follower.And at time of Khilafat of Ali what happened??

Being a Shia is special.  I will talk about this topic further as well , but for now wasalam

12 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

If one becomes arrogant just for being a Shia, then it's clear that such a person has learned nothing at all about Islam or what the Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام) taught us. 

Yeah I agree with you! 

If we just read the duas of Imam Sajjad (عليه السلام), we'll notice how much humility he had even though he's infallible. It's amazing how little good we've done and we walk with egos the size of mountains.

"I pray You, O my Chief, with a tongue muted by its sins." -  Dua Abu Hamza

Imam Sajjad (عليه السلام) uttered these words, because he has so much respect for God. Only if we learnt from our Imams (عليه السلام), how little they thought of their good deeds compared to what Allah has given them.

We should be honoured that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) had created us as Shia, in my mind there is no doubt that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has blessed us. 

20 hours ago, Guest Itsme said:

I want anyone who can to help me see, to help me understand why I feel this way and if I should be feeling this way. 

have you ever compare Shia teachings with other sects or beliefs?
have you ever compare Al-Sahifa al-Sajjadiyya with other books?
if yes you can ask this question  and if not your question is very preliminary

I think our special is our teachings and Hadiths; although our Imams are the best creatures but their words make our sect special

Guest Observer
21 hours ago, Guest Itsme said:

Asalamualaykum,

I am proud to be a Shia, and I am convinced that the madhab of Muhammed and ale Muhammed (asws) is the most correct and upright. However, I don't particularly feel (myself included) there is anything special about we, the Shia, compared to any other major group or body, particularly the Sunnis. 

I don't see a difference in intelligence, nor a difference in Akhlaq, nor a difference in the ability to dissect ideas, nor in being just , nor in warding away superstition. The only difference really tends to be that most of us happened to be born in the right group (yes, reverts exist in all groups), and we tend to hold the truth and argue on behalf of it, but as a group of people, I fail to see what makes us different to any other large body who generally happened to be born upon a different belief system. 

I am asking because this is a question that has been deeply troubling me, despite my certainty in Shia Islam which will never waver, because I follow it based on the Qur'an and Sunnah (preserved by ale Muhammed) , and had it been because of the people, I would have left a long time ago. Don't get me wrong, the beliefs we hold, and the arguments we put forth for core beliefs is unmatched. I don't however, see anything special about us beyond that. I don't see anything special about myself that somehow has allowed me to belong to the right religion, the right sect within that religion, representing a small fraction of the total human population today.

I know that Imam al-Khomeini (may Allah bless his soul) argued something (very vaguely) similar, and Sayed Kamal al-Hayderi also touched on this himself - but the website page is no longer open to the general public on brother @Ibn al-Hussain website for me to gain clarity on exactly what was said, or post the actual statements made, so I could be wrong here.

I think the question you need to ask is why do you need to be special? it seem kind of ego orientated don’t you think? it has no purpose except to massage the ego to be "special" your goal should not be some kidn of birth right which make you feel that you are above somebody else , you should be looking at this as a handicap to have this kind of thinking to be born with, even if you were actually special from birth

secondly there is something special about us, we are the only creatures who are given the choice just of how high do we want to go to achieve faith and spirtiual state and how close we want to get to God, of course just having this intention and working towards it doesnt mean it will be easy, but definitely as long as u were persistant u will achieve it, and as long as you are ready to sacrifice everything for it you will achieve it, and even if you don’t achieve it in this life, but you spent your entire life seeking it and working towards it, then the Qur'an promises yout that it will be given to you anyway, cause maybe for some people to get such a thing will actually ruin them and make them reach a place they can’t get out of , or even worse they will enter a state of hell which will be permanent

one of the things people don’t realize is that when you achieve higher states of faith , when you have witnessed the "signs" after that if you do wrong its almost unforgivable, its very hard to come back from and the punishment for wrongdoing after you have witnessed the "signs" becomes ten fold and extremely severe, even for such small things as giving up faith in God due to some difficulty , best example Yunus((عليه السلام)) when he simply left his people after trying again and again to guide them, he had a preety severe punishment jsut because he walked away from them, he was swallowed by a whale and its stomach acids devoured his skin, while he continued to pray in its stomach, how long he was inside is debatable some say 40 days some say 3 some say 2 weeks, but when he came out his skin had been almost completely eaten away by the whales stomach acids, and when he was spat out he was ordered to eat pumpkin to recover his skin , by stepping on some ground it on command from Allah, it sprouted quickly and he was there for a while eating it and recovering back his skin, which of course is also a miracle as for most people we don’t just grow new skin, but God did it for him through eating pumpkins

nevertheless that is a preety intense punishment, just for being fed up that they were so Godless and faithless, he got punished instead of them, but when e returned God made them all become strong believers , just to show Yunus((عليه السلام)) what he wanted to show, so really it wasnt about them but rather almost was a test to increase Yunus faith, but anyway when u reach certain levels of faith punishment becomes severe for little things forget the greater sinsm them alone can probably cause a Prophet to lose prophethood

I remember another example when Yusuf((عليه السلام)) was king of egypt after he went through everything, his father came to see him with the brothers, and as Yusuf((عليه السلام)) was going to meet his father, he happened to be on a horse and when he finally came to his father he was still on horses back, and because of that at that moment, God sent an angel to him and ordered him to hold his hands up to the heavens, and a light flew out of his hand and went up into the sky, of course Yusuf((عليه السلام)) asked what just happened, he was told because he disrespected his father by meeting him on a horse while his father was walking on the ground from his generations there will never be another Prophet and speicifically God sayd to Yusuf we do not make prohets from the unjust and cruel, something along those lines and he also lost his prophethood at that point, just because he was horseback riding when meeting his father while his father was on foot

so as you can see the higher the faith the more severe the punishment for mistakes, there is no excuse at that point,its easier to be a flustering Muslim at least there is more mercy for even greater sins

OP: I believe your complaint is correct (I assume you are complaining about the divergence between the religion and the people), but looking at it positively, look at the potential. 

The potential we as individual and as nation hold in reaching the perfection of ‘what Allah intends us to be’ due to the connection (call it recognition, knowing, consideration) of Prophet’s Ahlul Bayt AS is what makes us unique. For the lack of a good example, a rich heir who lost the key to his fortunes; fortunes that belong to him nonetheless. 

Guest Mesopotamian Archer

Hello.

Ignorance strikes again - and no one cares to repel it.

We’re praised in the works of our opponents!

Exegesis of 'Al-Ta'bar'I, v. 24, p. 556: 

When “Indeed those who have faith and do righteous deeds
—it is they who are the best of creatures.” [98:7] was revealed, 

the apostle of God, said: “You, O’ Ali, and your Sḥī‘ā!”

7epgmz3.jpg

On 4/8/2019 at 7:16 AM, BowTie said:

“We are special”. Thats the most Jewish statement 

The way I read special here, was in the way of unique or peculiar. 

This is definitely not racist ‘special’ as some racists believe or some imaginary ‘exceptional’ as some nations believe. 

On 4/7/2019 at 4:02 AM, Guest Itsme said:

Don't be proud of it Being Shia is a matter of big responsibility. If we do not fulfill this responsibility than there is nothing special about us....

وَلْتَكُنْ مِنْكُمْ أُمَّةٌ يَدْعُونَ إِلَى الْخَيْرِ وَيَأْمُرُونَ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ وَيَنْهَوْنَ عَنِ الْمُنْكَرِ ۚ وَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الْمُفْلِحُونَ

And from among you there should be a party who invite to good and enjoin what is right and forbid the wrong, and these it is that shall be successful.
Surah Ali 'Imran (3:104)

ادْعُ إِلَىٰ سَبِيلِ رَبِّكَ بِالْحِكْمَةِ وَالْمَوْعِظَةِ الْحَسَنَةِ ۖ وَجَادِلْهُمْ بِالَّتِي هِيَ أَحْسَنُ ۚ إِنَّ رَبَّك
َ هُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَنْ ضَلَّ عَنْ سَبِيلِهِ ۖ وَهُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِالْمُهْتَدِينَ

Call to the way of your Lord with wisdom and goodly exhortation, and have disputations with them in the best manner; surely your Lord best knows those who go astray from His path, and He knows best those who follow the right way.
Surah An-Nahl (16:125)