Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Trying to understand Shia Islam better

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Please be kind and try to answer my question with an open mind. 

I am in my 20s living in America, I been trying to learn different religious and maybe you can help me with yours. 

So far all I know is Islam has 2 major sects Shia and Sunni

1. It was one religion untill the time of death of the Prophet then his friend Abu bakar was choosen as the next leader but some people wanted Ali (his son in law) to be the next leader. That's all I know about the divide. Why divide a religion over this? Did Ali wanted to be a leader? Was he mistreated? Why is there still a divide? We can't go back and change the history so why not join Shia and Sunni back together. Unless there are other things I am missing.

2. Does Shia women wear hijab just like Sunni women and do the men have beard as well? 

3. Are Sunnis going to hell according to Shia believes? 

4. I saw a grave in the Shia mosque, why was that there? Was that even a mosque or someplace else? 

5. I like a girl and she's Shia. Can I date her? Marry her? She's not very religious so I don't think she cares. 

6. Is it okay to be a Shia Muslim and not care about your religion? Just living your life as every American is living theirs. 

7. Do Shia hates Sunnis? Or can I get a Sunni and Shia to sit down and have a talk about religion? 

8. Do Iranian Shia like briyani or just Pakistani people eat briyani? 

I may have many questions in the future. Is there a group chat or website I can use to talk to other Shia Muslims that's in English? 

Guest Itsme
2 hours ago, amuslim said:

I am in my 20s living in America, I been trying to learn different religious and maybe you can help me with yours. 

1. It was one religion untill the time of death of the Prophet then his friend Abu bakar was choosen as the next leader but some people wanted Ali (his son in law) to be the next leader. That's all I know about the divide. Why divide a religion over this? Did Ali wanted to be a leader? Was he mistreated? Why is there still a divide? We can't go back and change the history so why not join Shia and Sunni back together. Unless there are other things I am missing.

Shortly before his death and after the Hajj pilgrimage, the Prophet gathered many people at a place called Ghadeer Khum and made two important declarations in succession. The first of them is the following tradition, and it has been accepted authentic both in the chain of narrators and the content it speaks of by al-Albani, Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani, Shu'ayb al-Arnaut, and others. It is the most common version of this particular narration in Sunni books and also the most common version in Shia books.  I will present evidence only from Sunni books and narrations which the most authoritative scholars of Sunni Islam have authenticated.

The major commands and declarations 

On the authority of Ali ibn Abi Talib: “The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said: “I have left behind over you (al-Thaqalayn) that which if you hold fast to it you will never go astray: the Book of Allah – one end of which is in the Hand of Allah and the other in your hands– and my Ahl al-Bayt” 
حدثنا سليمان بن عبيد الله الغيلاني، حدثنا أبو عامر، حدثنا كثير بن زيد، عن محمد بن عمر بن علي، عن أبيه، عن علي رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال :إني تركت فيكم ما إن أخذتم به لن تضلوا :كتاب الله، سببه بيد الله، وسببه بأيديكم، وأهل بيتي.

Source: Musnad Ibn Rawayh (teacher of Imam al-Bukhari), Tirmidhi, Musnad Ahmad ibn Halbal, and other sources.

Then the Prophet said:

"Verily Allah is my Mawla, and I am the Mawla of every believer. Then he grabbed the hands of 'Ali and said: So whomsoever I am his Mawla then 'Ali is his Mawla."

Source: Khasai'is by Nasai' , Musnad Ahmad, Sunan Abi Asim , Tirmidhi and others. 

How did Ali b. Abi Talib react to the Abu Bakr taking his right

"And no doubt after the death of the Prophet (ﷺ) we were informed that the Ansar disagreed with us and gathered in the shed of Bani Sa`da. `Ali and Zubair and whoever was with them, opposed us, while the emigrants gathered with Abu Bakr. " - Saheeh al-Bukhari, from Umar b. al-Khattab Source: :https://sunnah.com/bukhari/86/57

"So Abu Bakr refused to give anything of that to Fatima. So she became angry with Abu Bakr and kept away from him, and did not task to him till she died. She remained alive for six months after the death of the Prophet. When she died, her husband `Ali, buried her at night without informing Abu Bakr and he said the funeral prayer by himself. When Fatima was alive, the people used to respect `Ali much, but after her death, `Ali noticed a change in the people's attitude towards him. ...`Ali had not given the oath of allegiance during those months (I.e. the period between the Prophet's death and Fatima's death)" Umm al-Mumineen Aisha. Source: https://sunnah.com/bukhari/64/278

How did Umar b. al-Khattab react to Ali b. Abi Talib and some of the others opposing him and gathering in the house of Fatima?

“Narrated Muhammad bin Bashir from Ubaidllah bin Umar from Zaid bin Aslam that his father Aslam said: ‘When the homage (baya) went to Abu Bakr after the Messenger of Allah, Ali and Zubair were entering into the house of Fatima to consult her and revise their issue, so when Umar came to know about that, he went to Fatima and said : ‘Oh daughter of Messenger of Allah, no one is dearest to us more than your father and no one dearest to us after your father than you, I swear by Allah, if these people gathered in your house then nothing will prevent me from giving order to burn the house and those who are inside.’ Source: Musnaf of Imam Ibn Abi Shaybah, Volume 7 page 432 Tradition 37045. [Saheeh Chain]

• Advanced Member

Salaam Alakum

Please feel welcome here and know that people will try to answer your questions openly, honestly and to the best of their ability.

I will do my best to answer your questions, but please know these are my answers alone and there are those here that are more learned than I. I am just a revert (convert).

1.)This event is where the passions of both Shia and Sunni run hot. In brief, we Shia believe the Prophet (pbh) designated Ali (pbh) as his successor and the Sunni believe there was no one chosen and instead picked Abu Bakr. Ali ibn Abu Talib (pbh) did not retaliate. There are volumes written on the subject, but I will stop here and encourage to read a book (pdf, mobi, epub) called "Then I was guided" 

https://www.al-Islam.org/then-I-was-guided-Muhammad-al-tijani-al-samawi

It is one of my favorite books of all time. 

2.)My answer comes from a man's perspective and I can not claim to have the intimate knowledge and relationship with it that our sisters do. However, from what I have observed it is about the same with both. Some do, some don't. Same same. From my limited understanding it really boils down to the personal thoughts and preferences of our mothers, sisters and daughters.  

3.)No one knows who is and who isn't. Or at least no one who dwells this mortal realm. 

4.)Can you tell us more about the mosque? Such as a location or name? I would hate to venture a guess and give you a wrong answer. 

5.) This I think can only be answered by the young sister you are smitten with.  

6.)A person should be free to believe or not, but it may be a bit dishonest to call yourself something when your not. It seems that a lot of people use religion as an identifier when they should use a more cultural one. 

7.)The fools hate, but you should be able to readily find two brothers to sit down and speak. There are numerous youtube videos that have this. Not all of them good though.  

8.)Everyone loves briyani. 

• Advanced Member
On 4/3/2019 at 5:39 PM, amuslim said:

2. Does Shia women wear hijab just like Sunni women and do the men have beard as well? 

4. I saw a grave in the Shia mosque, why was that there? Was that even a mosque or someplace else? 

5. I like a girl and she's Shia. Can I date her? Marry her? She's not very religious so I don't think she cares. 

6. Is it okay to be a Shia Muslim and not care about your religion? Just living your life as every American is living theirs. 

7. Do Shia hates Sunnis? Or can I get a Sunni and Shia to sit down and have a talk about religion? 

I may have many questions in the future. Is there a group chat or website I can use to talk to other Shia Muslims that's in English? 

Salam alaikum

I will try to answer your questions 

1. The Prophet (sawas) wanted his cousin and son in law Imam Ali (عليه السلام) to become his successor, and there are many evidences that are proven in both Shia and Sunni books that Rasullulah would constantly tell his Ummah that Imam Ali will be the righteous successor. The problem here is that Sunnis try to interpret these narrations differently by stating the fact that the Prophet (sawas) meant it as a "friend", which sounds far fetched because there are other narrations where he made it clear enough that he wanted Imam Ali to become the leader and the fact that he delivered the sermon infront of more than 200,000 Muslims just to announce that Ali was just a "friend" to him doesn't even sound believable. So some of the companions including Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman stole the rights from him and made Abu Bakr the first caliph when they all knew the Prophet's word. This is why we criticise the first three caliphs because they hid away the truth from the ummah. Imam Ali (عليه السلام) wasn't a selfish man and he knew that if he fought for the caliph they'll be war and bloodshed between the Muslims, and he didnt want to be greedy to gain the caliphate. But not only was he mistreated, his entire family were, which was a great tragedy. We can't unite Shias and Sunnis because there's still war between them up until today

2. Yes, but not all Shias wear the hijab just like how not all Sunnis wear the hijab. And why does it matter if a man has a a beard or not? I mean in both sects they do tend to grow beards but why would that be a concern?

3. There are some narrations which state that if one does not believe in the Wilayat of Imam Ali (عليه السلام), then the doors of heaven will be closed for them neither will they be able to smell it's fragrance. However, we can't say that Sunnis will eventually go to hell because at the end of the day they're still Muslims and it is only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) who can judge.

4. Where was the mosque and where was the grave? it might have been a shrine dedicated to some Imam (عليه السلام)

5. You can marry her, even if she doesn't care you can't just simply date her thinking it's alright

6. It's not okay to be a Muslim in general and not care about your religion. We're not perfect human beings, but we're still meant to try our best.

7. There is a hatred between them, and even in some Sunni-Shia discussions there is alot of tension. 

8. lol who doesn't love biryani

@Ruqaya101 @ali_fatheroforphans

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
On 4/4/2019 at 3:09 AM, amuslim said:

Salam Yes ,it’s very popular in Isfahan city but recently becomes popular in other cities of Iran .

On 4/4/2019 at 3:09 AM, amuslim said:

4. I saw a grave in the Shia mosque, why was that there? Was that even a mosque or someplace else

47 minutes ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

4. Where was the mosque and where was the grave? it might have been a shrine dedicated to some Imam (عليه السلام)

We make shrines over grave of Our Imams or their pious children & some pious people that were making will to bury there to be under feet of Muslims  but we don’t pray toward these graves as Wahabists claim it but we believe we will have more spiritually while we are praying  because these places  have special value in eye of Allah & angles are descending & ascending in these places & our prayer to Allah will accept better 

On 4/5/2019 at 5:30 AM, Murtaza1 said:

Funny thing is that I heard biryani comes from Afghanistan :eat:

There is many ways that we prepare Biryani also Afghanistan seperated from Iran during Qajar era by intervention of Great Britain also we have Biryani from Isfahan city in Iran that is very popular there ,like as Pakistan created by its intervention to separates Muslims & Indians in separate countries 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:49 PM, amuslim said:

Why aren't Sunnis and Shia's praying in the same masjid? 

They can pray in a same masjid in a same jama't, if they want to do so. 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:49 PM, amuslim said:

As a Shia what is it that really differentiate you from Sunnis?

Wilayah of Ahlul Bayt (asws) which makes them the "Ulil Amr" according to Shia school of thought.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 1:39 AM, amuslim said:

Mashallah the guys over here mentioned everything here, if you have more questions feel free to ask. 

1) It’s already explained in this post, if you want more information please read:- https://www.al-Islam.org/ghadir/incident.htm

2) Yes, both sect believe in hijab for female and beard for males, however, if people want to wear hijab or have a beard, they will do it. It’s up to them.

3) No body knows who is going to hell or heaven except Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Plus some  Sunnis believe that Shia are kufar and they are going to hell so what’s the issue. 

4) I don’t know about this but I just want to tell you that we DO NOT WORSHIP these graves. A lot of Anti-Shia believe that we worship them which is 100% false. 

5) You should ask her, not us. But inshallah all the best.

6) It’s your wish. But personally, I believe you should be proud to be Muslim since a lot of non Muslims love their religion and they follow their rules. 

7) Some Shias hate Sunni just like some Sunni hate Shias. Me personally as a Shia, I do not hate them. There are some in YouTube debating between Sunni and Shia but there will be a lot of disrespectful comments which me as a Shia cannot handle them.

8) I will skip this question because I don’t know xD 

you can chat with us over here in this website. :)

On 4/10/2019 at 8:49 PM, amuslim said:

I have one more question. As a Shia what is it that really differentiate you from Sunnis? Why aren't Sunnis and Shia's praying in the same masjid? 

In your own words, what do you think about it. 

Majority of Sunni never prayed with us because they believe our Husaniya is a place where we worship our Imams. Plus some Sunni don’t want Shia to pray with them unless you pretend that you are Sunni. Even tho I want all the Muslims to pray together, it is impossible because a lot of close minded people disagree with it. You should ask this question for Sunnis as well, you can see their replies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam.
Shia chat thanks God, has a friendly and intimate community that respect each other and try to help.
the atmosphere hear is very friendly and kind!
I am ready to help anyone in the universe who is seeker of truth!
Allah bless you!
I am a Shia Muslim.
Shia believe that Prophets are infallible and prophethood is a divine position and only Allah should selects Prophets for guiding mankind.
Allah selected infallible Prophets for guiding mankind.
all divine Prophets are immaculate in all of aspects of there life.
if they are not infallible, how then can lead there followers to achieve salvation, prosperity and felicity?!
these facts about infallibility and selecting by Allah and divine position, are all true about successors of Prophet Mohammed (peace and blessings of Allah upon them all).
Allah is our creator, knows everythings past, future and present time and Also Allah is infinite merciful.
by these explanation, Allah who knows everythings and knows the best people who deserve guiding mankind, commanded Prophet Mohammed (peace and blessings of Allah upon him and his household), to select Imam Ali and eleven Imams after him (peace and blessings of Allah upon them all), as his successor in the event of ghadir.
The “Farewell pilgrimage” ceremony was completed in the last month of the 10th A.H. The Muslims learned pilgrimage activities from the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.), and then, Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) decided to leave Mecca to Medina. He instructed for departure. When the caravan reached an area called “Rabegh”1, which is three miles far from Juhfah 2, Gabriel, the inspiration angel, revealed in a point called “Ghadir Khom”, and addressed the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) with the following verse:
يَا أَيُّهَا الرَّسُولُ بَلِّغْ مَا أُنْزِلَ إِلَيْكَ مِنْ رَبِّكَ ۖ وَإِنْ لَمْ تَفْعَلْ فَمَا بَلَّغْتَ رِسَالَتَهُ ۚ وَاللَّهُ يَعْصِمُكَ مِنَ النَّاسِ
"O Messenger! proclaim the (message) which hath been sent to thee from thy Lord. If thou didst not, thou wouldst not have fulfilled and proclaimed His mission. And Allah will defend thee from men (who mean mischief)." (sura al-Maidah, 5:67)
The tone of verse indicates that God has assigned Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) a critical mission, which equals with his prophetic mission, and caused despair of the Islam enemies. Is any critical mission more important than appointment of ‘Ali ((عليه السلام).) to the rank of caliphate, guardianship and succession in front of more than hundred thousand people?!
Therefore, he ordered to stop. Those who were ahead of caravan, stopped, and those who were at the back of caravan, joined them. At noon, it was very hot, and a group of people put a part of their mantle on their head and a part under their foot. A shading was made for the Prophet through casting a veil on the tree. He sat on the high point, formed by the camel saddle, and he delivered a sermon with a loud voice, the extract of which follows.
Prophet’s ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) sermon in Ghadir Khom
"Praise belongs to God. We seek help from Him, and believe in Him, and trust in Him. We turn to Him for our evil and unrighteous deeds. The Lord, save whom there is no guide. Whoever is guided by Him, there will be no deviator for him. I testify that there is no God, save Him, and Mohammed is his servant and Prophet.
O people! Soon, I will die, and leave you. I am responsible and you too!
Then he added: “What do you think about me!? (Have I fulfilled my responsibility against you?)”
The crowd all said: "We testify that you have accomplished your prophetic mission, and endeavored. God may grant you good rewards."
The Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) said: "Do you testify that the Lord of world is one, and Mohammed is His servant and Prophet, and there is no doubt about paradise, hell, the everlasting life in the other world?"
All replied: "Yes, that is right. We testify!"
He added: "O people, I leave among you two precious things. I shall see how you treat with my two heritage?!"
One stood up and asked loudly: "What are these two precious things?!"
Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) said: "One is divine book, one side of which is in the powerful hand of God, and the other is with you. And the next is my Household. God has informed me that these two will never separate!
Beware, O People, do not surpass Qur'an and my Household. Do not fail to follow both of them. Otherwise, you will perish!"
Then, he took ‘Ali’s hand ((عليه السلام).), and raised it too high that the armpit of both of them was seen by the people, and introduced him to the people.
He asked: "Who is more authorized and rightful to the believers than themselves?"
All replied: "God and His messenger are more aware."
The Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) said: “God is my master and I am the master of believers, and I am more authorized and rightful than themselves! Beware, O People!”
من کنت مولاه فهذا علی مولاه
“Whoever I am his master and authority, this ‘Ali will be his master and authority.” 3
اللهم وال من والاه و عاد من عاداه و احب من احبه و ابغض من ابغضه و انصر من نصره و اخذل من خذله و ادر الحق معه حیث دار.
“O God, be friend with whoever is friend with ‘Ali, and be enemy with whoever is an enemy of ‘Ali. Help whoever helps him, and leave whoever leaves him, make him the criteria of right!”4
If you study the above sermon5 carefully, there are quick evidences for Imamate of ‘Ali ((عليه السلام).) in every phrase of it.
The eternity of Ghadir event
The Wise God has willed the Ghadir historical event to remain in all ages and centuries, as a live history, attracting the hearts and minds, and the Islamic writers to discuss it in the commentary, history, tradition and theology books, and the religious orators to deliver lectures about it, and call it one of the undeniable virtues of Imam ‘Ali ((عليه السلام).).
One of the reasons for eternity of this tradition, is revelation of two Quranic verses6 in respect to this event, and since Qur'an is eternal and everlasting, this historical event too will be never forgotten.
However, after appointment of ‘Ali ((عليه السلام).) as his successor, the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) said:
“O People, just now the inspiration angel revealed to me and brought this verse:
…الْيَوْمَ أَكْمَلْتُ لَكُمْ دِينَكُمْ وَأَتْمَمْتُ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعْمَتِي وَرَضِيتُ لَكُمُ الْإِسْلَامَ دِينًا…
“This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.” (Surah al-Maidah, 5:3)
Then the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) said “Allahu Akbar” and added:
“I thank God for perfecting His religion, and completing His Blessing, and approving my mission and guardianship and succession of ‘Ali after me.”
Then, Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) came down, and said ‘Ali ((عليه السلام).):
“Sit under a tent so that the prominent Islamic chiefs and headmen pay homage and congratulate to you.”
First of all, Umar and Abu Bakr congratulated to ‘Ali ((عليه السلام).) and called him their master!
• 1. Rabegh is now located between Mecca and Medina.
• 2. It is one of the trysting-places, and in the past, the course of people of Medina, Egypt and Iraq branched there.
• 3. The Prophet repeated this phrase for three times to avoid any future mistake!
• 4. This part of Ghadir tradition, and sometimes its first part, without the second or visa versa, has been mentioned in the following documents:
مسند ابن حنبل: vol. 1, p. 254; تاریخ دمشق: vol. 42, p. 207, 208 & 448; خصائص نسایی: p. 181; المعجم الکبیر: vol. 17, p. 39; سنن الترمذی: vol. 5, p. 633;المستدرک علی الصحیحن, vol. 13, p. 135; المعجم الاوسط; vol. 6, p. 95; مسند ابی یعلی, vol. 1, p. 280; المحاسن و المساوئی: p. 41; مناقب خوارزمی: p. 104, and other books.
• 5. A large group of known Sunnite scholars have narrated this sermon in their books, such as:
مسند احمد: vol. 1, p. 84, 88, 118, 119, 152, 281, 331, 332, 370; سنن ابن ماجه, vol. 1, p. 55, 58; المستدرک علی الصحیحین حاکم نیشابوری, vol. 3, p. 118 & 613;سنن ترمذی, vol. 5, p. 633; فتح الباری, vol. 79, p. 74; تاریخ خطیب بغدادی, vol. 8, p. 290; تاریخ الخلفاء و سیوطی, p. 114, etc.
• 6. In reference to Sura al-Maidah, 5:3 and 5:67.
for reading evidence of Ghadir feast and more narrations about truthfulness of imamate of Imam Ali (peace be upon him)
read the book completely.
I just mentioned some parts of Ghadir cirman and short explanations about it.
Source url:
https://www.al-Islam.org/articles/ghadir-tradition-expressive-evidence-guardianship
The Documentation of the Tradition of Thaqalayn
One of the famous Traditions among the ‘ulama of the Sunnis and Shi’ites is the Tradition of Thaqalayn.
A large group of the Companions, without any break, recorded this Tradition from the Prophet and some of the great ‘ulama say that 30 of the Companions have mentioned it (Sirah Halabi, vol. 33, p. 308)
A large group of the recorders have mentioned this in their books and there can be no doubt as to this Tradition.
The great scholar, Sayyid Hashim Bahrani, in his book, Ghayat al-Maram, mentions this Tradition with 39 documentations from the Sunni scholars and 80 documentations from the Shi’ite ‘ulama. Mir Hamad Husayn Hindi, another great scholar who studied this issue further, mentioned 200 Sunnis who have recorded this Tradition and he has compiled them in 6 volumes.
Among the individuals of the famous Companions who have recorded this are Abu Sa’id Khudari, Abu Dharr Ghifari, Zayd ibn Arqam, Zayd ibn Thabit, Abu Rafa’, Jabir ibn Matam, Huzaifah, Damarah Islami, Jabir ibn Abdallah Ansari and Umm Salimah.
The basic Tradition, according to Abu Dharr Ghifari, is that once when he was in the Ka’bah, he turned to the people and said that I heard that the Holy Prophet had said “I leave two things of value among you: the Qur’an and my family. These two will never separate from each other until they enter unto me in the Fountain of Abundance (kawthar) in Paradise. Thus, take care to follow what I have recommended”
(Recorded from Jama’ Tarmjghi as from Niyabi’al-mawadah, p. 37)
This Tradition is found in the most reliable of the Sunni sources such as Sahih Tarmidhi Nisai Musnad Ahmad Kanz al-Amal and mustadrak Hakirn, etc.
In many of the books, this Tradition has been called Thaqalayn (two valuable things) and in some it is called khalifitin or two successors which do not differ in meaning.
It is interesting to note that in the various Traditions of Islam, this verse has been used by the Prophet for the people on different occasions.
In the Tradition of Jabir ibn Abdallah Ansari, we read that he said this on the Hajj on the day of Arafah.
It is recorded in a Tradition of Abdallah ibn Khattab that in Juhfah (an area between Mecca and Medina where some of the pilgrims enter the state of ihram).
It is recorded in a Tradition of Umm Salimah where this is said at Ghadir Khum.
It is recorded in a part of the Tradition during the last days of his blessed life, while he was on his death bed.
It is recorded in a Tradition he said this upon the pulpit in Medina (al-Marajat, p. 42)
Even famous Sunni scholars mentioned it ibn Hajar in his book, Sawaiq al-Mahraqah says from the Holy Prophet, “The Holy Prophet of Islam, after saying this Tradition, took ‘Ali’s hand and pulled him up and said, ‘It is ‘Ali and the Qur’an and the Qur’an and ‘Ali. They will not separate from each other until they enter unto me in the Fountain of Abundance”
(al-Sawa’jn al-Mahraqah, p.75)
In this way, it becomes clear that the Prophet has expressed this as a principle many times and emphasized this and that he made use of many opportunities to express it so that it would never be forgotten.
The Content of the Tradition of Thaqalayn
Here, several points should be noted:
1. The introduction to the Qur’an and his family as ‘two caliphs’ or ‘two valuable things’ is clear proof that Muslims must never turn away from these two, especially with the condition in many Traditions where it states that, “If these two are released or freed from each other, you will be lost.”
2. Placing Qur’an beside his family and his family beside Qur’an is proof that as the Holy Qur’an will never be altered and that it will be preserved, the family of the Holy Prophet had the position of infallibility.
3. In some of these Traditions, it has been stated that the Prophet said, “On the Day of Resurrection, I will question you about how you behaved towards these two great souvenirs, to see how you have acted towards them.
4. No matter how we interpret the Ahlul Bayt, ‘Ali is the best confirmation. According to the repeated Traditions, he will never be separated from the Holy Qur’an nor Qur’an from him.
In addition to this, in the repeated Traditions, we read that when the verse was revealed about mubahilah, the Holy Prophet called ‘Ali, Fatimah, Hasan and Husayn, peace be upon them, and said, ‘This is my Ahlul Bayt.’
(Mash kat al -Masbaih, p. 568, printed in Delhi and Riyadh al-Nafarah, Vol. 2, p. 248, recorded from Muslim and Tarmidhi).
5. Even though it is not clear to us who are enclosed in this world what will be questioned of us, but on the Day of Judgment, we know from the Traditions, that the meaning of the Fountain of Abundance which is a special stream in Paradise with many special privileges is for the real believers, the Prophets and the Ahlul Bayt and the followers of that school.
From what has been said, it becomes clear that the leadership of the ummah of Muslims after the Prophet is through ‘Ali and after him, also, through the Imams from this family.
https://www.al-Islam.org/fifty-lessons-on-principles-of-belief-for-youth-makarim-shirazi

• Veteran Member
On 4/16/2019 at 5:30 PM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam Yes ,it’s very popular in Isfahan city but recently becomes popular in other cities of Iran .

We make shrines over grave of Our Imams or their pious children & some pious people that were making will to bury there to be under feet of Muslims  but we don’t pray toward these graves as Wahabists claim it but we believe we will have more spiritually while we are praying  because these places  have special value in eye of Allah & angles are descending & ascending in these places & our prayer to Allah will accept better 

There is many ways that we prepare Biryani also Afghanistan seperated from Iran during Qajar era by intervention of Great Britain also we have Biryani from Isfahan city in Iran that is very popular there ,like as Pakistan created by its intervention to separates Muslims & Indians in separate countries 

:salam:

I am tired of Sunni Shia dialogue but I felt like talking biryiani here.

I have tried many sorts of biryiani (IndoPak / Sri Lanki / Mauritian, etc...) but I have to, I feel compelled to, it is my duty to mention that Persian biryiani -the Isfahani one - is completly different from the rest of the world.  

It doesn't even come with rice. Pollo dishes are closer to what the world woukd call biryani.

Just wanted to let the world know and not deceive people.

Truth is now told.

• Advanced Member
On 4/4/2019 at 11:39 AM, amuslim said:

Islam has no sects. There’s one religion, and in its orthodox version it is called (Twelver) Shia Islam. 

Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (عليه السلام), Prophet’s son-in-law and cousin who grew up in his own house, was officially designated as his successor on endless occasions, just to name the event of Ghadir Khumm, where Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله‎‎) clearly named Ali ibn Abi Talib (عليه السلام), as his successor, in front of c. hundred thousand people. Abu Bakr was chosen by few other people, who clearly rebelled against the established successor, and not by the commoners. This rebellion by Abu Bakr, who designated his close friend as a successor, Umar, led to to the split between; Sunnis, those who favour anyone taking power regardless of one’s character, deeds or motives, and Shias, those that follow the Prophet and his purified family, his designated successor Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (عليه السلام), and further Prophet’s family members (as successors). 

It’s wajib (mandatory) upon Shia women to wear head covering, hijab, at all times around unrelated to them males. Shia males grow facial hair and are allowed to trim it but never to shave. Longer beards within (Shia) Islam are reserved for esteemed scholars of higher ranks, such as Ayatollahs. 

Depends who you ask nowadays, but the orthodox and historical stance is yes. Whoever of “Muslims” rejects divinely appointed successorhip to the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله‎‎), the gates of paradise remain closed for him. 

In both Sunni and Shia, mosques are sometimes built over the graves of esteemed Islamic figures. It is a normal practice to remember the dead person and seek blessings of Allah this way. 

There’s no dating in Islam. You can only marry someone. If she is not very religious, it is mandatory to stay away from her. 

Is this question even real? You can ask about any religion. If you want “living your life as every American is living theirs”, that includes drinking, partying, dating etc. then Shia Islam isn’t for you certainly.  Religion always take precedence over any and all cultures, regardless where you live. 

We try to talk to those people since 1400 years, but all they do is persecuting and killing us. We don’t hate them, they are misguided bunch full of hate towards us for following the Prophet’s family.

That was so random.

This entire forum is in English, we also have a chat. 

• Advanced Member
On 4/11/2019 at 5:49 AM, amuslim said:

I have one more question. As a Shia what is it that really differentiate you from Sunnis?

Why aren't Sunnis and Shia's praying in the same masjid? 

In your own words, what do you think about it. 

Read my comment above, what differentiates Shias from Sunnis is that Shias accept Prophet’s family as his official and best successors, and Sunnis follow random, unrelated people that happened to gain power through cheating or deception, and even persecuted Prophet’s family after his death. 

We don’t pray in the same mosques due to the numerous fundamental differences; from simple prayer rituals to Islamic theology. Can you expect us to sit idle through Friday sermon where Sunni prayer leader praises people who killed Prophet’s family? No.

To make it easier to understand. Why do Catholics don’t pray at the Protestant gatherings and vice versa? Due to considerable theological beliefs that simply can’t be reconciled. 

Edited by OrthodoxTruth
  • Veteran Member
On 4/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, amuslim said:

Salam walaikum

There is a criteria for being a true Shia of Ali. We must love who they love and hate who they hate, love what they love and hate what they hate. So to answer question number six, you cannot be considered a Shia if you don’t hate what is haram.

9 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

I am tired of Sunni Shia dialogue but I felt like talking biryiani here.

I have tried many sorts of biryiani (IndoPak / Sri Lanki / Mauritian, etc...) but I have to, I feel compelled to, it is my duty to mention that Persian biryiani -the Isfahani one - is completly different from the rest of the world.  

It doesn't even come with rice. Pollo dishes are closer to what the world woukd call biryani.

Just wanted to let the world know and not deceive people.

Truth is now told.

I don't try other type f biryianis but closest to them in name is the Osfahand one but I recently advetisement of Lebanese restaurants but I don't try Lebanese food yet  other version of  goods are IndoPak foods are unfamiliar in Iran because of not existing Indo Pak restaurants & amount of spices  but some people like their food & are trying to makr it by themselves but we don't have an Indo Pak resaturat with professional chef to make real Indopak foods with real taste of it but in limited form streetfood & sandwiches with IndoPak receipts are available but it's very limited to HaftTir street exhibition  that introduces all street foods from any country in Tehran.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
  • Veteran Member

I am in my 20s living in America, I been trying to learn different religious and maybe you can help me with yours

Ask away about anything you would like to know. The only way to defeat ignorance is with the sharing of knowledge. :einstein:

I am in my 20s living in America, I been trying to learn different religious and maybe you can help me with yours

Welcome...let's see what we can do for you. :grin:. I'm born and raised in Chicago, but please keep in mind that members of this forum hail from all over the world and as such you will see a variety of opinion, beliefs and everything else that comes along with interacting with a diaspora who's mindset and opinions are determined by their cultural and everyday life experiences.

In general yes, but there are many subsects to both that differ in beliefs within those major sects as well. For example, this forum has members that are mostly from the 12er Subsect of Shi'a, however there are also a myriad of other subsects under the Shi'a umbrella as well. The main commonality is that all of the subsects agree on the position that Ali (عليه السلام) should have been the leader of Muslims after the death of the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)).

1. Shi'a (the name itself derives from the long form of "Shi'at ul Ali", which means "Party of Ali") - make up between 10%-15% of all Muslims worldwide - but 50% of the Middle East.
    1. 12'ers - The majority of Shi'a come under this sub-sect. This is due to the belief in 12 divinely appointed Imams (عليه السلام) whom came after the Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)). You'll find many of the subsects are titled by number and that is indicative of how many Imams (عليه السلام) they follow out of the list. 
    2. 5'ers - Zaidis - They believe only in 5 Imams (عليه السلام) out of the 12 that 12ers believe in.
    3. 7'ers - Ismailis - Same as 5'ers but they believe in 7 out of the 12.
    4. Alawites - A bit of a complicated group. While they believe in the divinity of Ali (عليه السلام), they are however extremely secretive about their faith. Traditionally they were not considered to be within the fold of Islam for centuries. Deemed heretic due to their belief that Ali (عليه السلام) was the true messenger of Allah, and not the Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)). It was just recently due to political motivations that Irani leadership deemed them as within the fold of Islam. Not all Shi'a agree with that however. 
  2. Sunni (the name derives from "Ahl as-sunnah wa l-jamāʻah", which means "the people of the tradition of the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) and his community") - 90%-85% of all Muslims worldwide, but again only 50% of the Middle East. This is due to there being more Muslims in Asia than in the Middle East. (In fact, 43% of the world's Muslims live in Indonesia, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh alone)
    1. Sunnis don't really have significant sub-sects. The only difference that could perhaps serve as a divider would be what school of law they follow (Sharia Law). Sunnis have 4 schools of law with differences but not considerable enough to deem each a subset. However, this does not equate to groups of Sunni with different interpretations of Islam. 
      1. Conservative
        1. Wahabbi/Salafi
      2. Moderate
      3. Liberal

Does Shia women wear hijab just like Sunni women and do the men have beard as well?

Women are supposed to dress modestly while covering their hair. Depending on whether they are Conservative, Moderate or Liberal will dictate whether they wear one or not, and to what extent.

Same applies to beards. 

Are Sunnis going to hell according to Shia believes?

Islamically...no. Shi'a believe them to be misguided but still within the fold of Islam. They are Muslims at the end of the day. Accountable for their sins and misdeeds the same as any other Muslim. 

I saw a grave in the Shia mosque, why was that there?

Same as a grave in a Church or Cathedral. A person wished to be buried on revered ground and was thus buried. 

Which Mosque did you see this in?

Was that even a mosque or someplace else?

Where was it that you saw the grave?

I like a girl and she's Shia.

What's your religion?

Can I date her?

Islamic rules of etiquette and modesty do not permit this.

Marry her?

Unfortunately, if you are not a Muslim, specifically a Shi'a then you can not. There are many rulings from our religious leaders which range from discouraging this to outright denying it as valid. Not to say it still doesn't happen, but if you are asking the Shi'a Islamic ruling as decreed by our leaders than that's what it is.

She's not very religious so I don't think she cares.

Well, problem solved for you then...:yahoo:

Is it okay to be a Shia Muslim and not care about your religion?

How is that any different than being a member of any religion and not following it. There's no concise answer to be had for that due to it being a personal choice. No different than being Catholic or Mormon and not caring about your religion, why would Shi'a Islam be any different? Again, its how a person chooses to live their life regardless of what their religion says.

Do Shia hates Sunnis?

Some do, not all. Same as with Sunni. Some hate Shi'a, but not all. Its not always driven by religion, as much as its by politics, education level and ultimately how often you interact with members of the other group. No different than how the majority of Evangelical Republicans hate Muslims, yet less than 5% of them have ever met a Muslim. Also, economic class and education level play a large factor in this. People who lack in education and finances tend to be bitter to begin with and route their unhappiness towards someone else that they blame for their sufferings. Not to say there haven't been reasons to hate Sunni but to apply a blanket statement simply lacks validity.

Same as with Catholics and Protestants. Some hate each other, but not all. It all comes down ultimately meeting and interacting with someone and getting to know them as a person and not as a Label.

can I get a Sunni and Shia to sit down and have a talk about religion?

Depends on the people, if you have open minded people who possess the dignity and respect to value another person's opinion on something then...yes. However, if you get some bitter, small minded people who lack the intellectual capacity to sit and be open minded about something like religion then...no.

Its all about who they are as individuals and sect has nothing to do with it.

Do Iranian Shia like briyani or just Pakistani people eat briyani?

Depends on the person if they like it or not. Your question is the same as asking if a Candian person like to eat Mongolian Beef.

Its a dish which originated in Persia but was carried into the sub-continent by Persian migrants and evolved into its different types. Muslims from India eat it just as much, if not more than Muslims in Pakistan (same group of people BTW...google "Indian Partition of 1947"

Hope this helps, feel free to ask whatever else comes to mind.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:00 AM, Murtaza1 said:

Funny thing is that I heard biryani comes from Afghanistan :eat:

2 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

Its a dish which originated in Persia but was carried into the sub-continent by Persian migrants and evolved into its different types. Muslims from India eat it just as much, if not more than Muslims in Pakistan (same group of people BTW...google "Indian Partition of 1947"

Late reply: It actually originated from Hyderabad, India.

Edited by Simon the Canaanite
  • Veteran Member
24 minutes ago, Simon the Canaanite said:

It actually originated from Hyderabad, India.

Kinda sorta...Hyderabad, previously Golkonda and before that the Bahmani Sultanate was Safavid Shi'a kingdom in India and rumors are that the Safavids either brought the recipe with them and then modified it to local style, or it was adapted from a Persian dish with rice and beef.

Regardless, Hyderabadi Biryani is the greatest biryani in the world !!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 12:58 AM, Akbar673 said:

rumors are that the Safavids either brought the recipe with them and then modified it to local style, or it was adapted from a Persian dish with rice and beef.

Salam we have still simple form of that we call it 'مرغ با پلو ' ' morgh la Polo' that it's translation is chicken inside rice but usually restaurants make chicken & Rice separate from each other but you can also can find  meat balls that cooked with  rice in traditional iranian restaurants that present traditional foods of North of Iran ,but Iranian don't use Masala & other spices 

مرغ لای پلو

Morgh Lay polo

The most similar to Biryani is Qaymeh la Polo' that is more popular  قیمه با پلو

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
  • Advanced Member
On 5/17/2019 at 8:44 AM, Zahra.5 said:

Salam.
Shia chat thanks God, has a friendly and intimate community that respect each other and try to help.
the atmosphere hear is very friendly and kind!
I am ready to help anyone in the universe who is seeker of truth!
Allah bless you!
I am a Shia Muslim.
Shia believe that Prophets are infallible and prophethood is a divine position and only Allah should selects Prophets for guiding mankind.
Allah selected infallible Prophets for guiding mankind.
all divine Prophets are immaculate in all of aspects of there life.

This cannot be true. Look at the story of Yunus in the Qur'an for instance.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:39 AM, amuslim said:

To begin with Biryani, Pakistani and Indian Shia eat biryani but Iranian Shias might not like too much spices as I know, they eat less spices and Biryani is Spice-Heaven.

1. Now to the rest of questions; there are plenty of similarities between Shias and Sunnis, both Shias and Sunnis believe in Prophet (PBUHHP) as last Prophet and love his Ahlebait and companions. However, there is a major difference of as to who is the worthy successor of Prophet (PBUHHP). We Shias have plenty of evidence from Qur'an, Hadith and History that proves that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) should have been paid allegiance rather than Hazrat Abu bakar, the reason of this is that Hazrat Abu Bakr asked for help from Imam Ali (عليه السلام) many times in jurisprudence and political matters but Imam Ali (عليه السلام) never asked his help in any matter that proves that Hazrat Abu bakar voted for Imam Ali (عليه السلام) indirectly and so did Hazrat Umer and Hazrat Usman (رضي الله عنه).

2. Yes, Shia women follow same Qur'an as Sunni Women and Shia men keep beard like Sunni brothers, But, some follow rules of wearing beard such as trimming and some do not which is taught by Sunnah of Prophet (PBUHHP).

3. Any bad person regardless of being Shia or Sunni, if they are oppressors, they are going to hell.

4. There is grave of Prophet Ishmael in Kabatullah, the holy site of Muslims and it does not invalidate any worship there likewise for all other mosques.

5. You cannot date her, and you can marry her after being Muslim as it is prohibited for a non-Muslim to marry a Muslim.

6. If you are a Muslim, you have to behave like a Muslim, otherwise, why call yourself a Muslim if you do not honor the religion to whom you have sworn to believe ?

7. Educated Shias and Educated Sunnis do not hate each other, we understand that belief is sacred for everyone and none will answer for others. I guarantee myself that being a Shia, I would like to engage in a religious debate until it becomes uncomfortable for my Sunni brother to talk religion. 

If you like to talk to me about religion, you can message me and I will be happy to respond. 

• Moderators
On 4/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, amuslim said:

1. It wasn't about 'some' wanted Ali((عليه السلام)) and some wanted Abu Bakr. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) chose Ali((عليه السلام)) to be the one to lead the Ummah after the death of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h). Every Prophet had a successor chosen by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) from Adam((عليه السلام).) to Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h). Because Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) was Khatim An Nabeen (Seal of the Prophets), or last of the Prophets, his successor obviously couldn't be another Prophet. The Institution of Prophethood came to an end with Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) but the Institution of Imamate, mentioned many times in the Holy Qur'an, continued through Imam Ali((عليه السلام)). There were so many proofs given for the Imamate of Imam Ali((عليه السلام)) that it could not be denied through logic. 

So there were some in the community at the time of the death of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) who didn't want to see the sucessorship of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) to go to Imam Ali((عليه السلام)), so the gathered at the Saqifa of Banu Sai'da and they suceeded in hijacking the process of sucessorship and they prevented Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) from writing a Wasiyat. This hijacking of the process is what split the Ummah and the consequences of this action are still being felt today. 

What has continued this split to today is ignorance, prejudice, and the deliberate cover up of some ulema toward these issues (like Saqifa, Ghadeer, Prevention by some companions of allowing Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) to write his Wasiyyat).

2. They both wear hijab but the rules for Hijab in Jaafari Fiqh(commonly refered to as 'Shia' fiqh) are very clear, so women understand exactly what they must cover and what they don't need to cover. Not all of them follow this, but the rules for it are clear, as has been discussed alot on this site. For the four other Mathahib (commonly referred to as Sunni fiqh) there is the concept of Hijab but the exact rules about what should be covered and what should not be covered is not as clear. That is why you see some women wearing Niqab, some not covering their hair, and some wearing even cloths that reveal their body parts and skin and all of them saying that this is in the Fiqh of their mathhab. 

3. We are taught that only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows who is going to heaven and who is going to hell (except for the few cases, like Abu Lahab, that are mentioned in Qur'an). So it is possible that there may be many who claim to be followers of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)), commonly referred to as 'Shia' who are going to hell and many Sunni who are going to heaven. As Shia, we rely on the intercession (Shafa'at) of Imam of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) to get us into heaven, and not our own good deeds. So we are promised Shifa'at as long as we accept the Wilayat of Imams((عليه السلام)) of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) and make a sincere attempt to live our lives according to their teachings. So because of this, we feel that we have a better chance of making it to heaven, but at the same time nothing is guaranteed which is why we constantly strive to become better as far as following these teachings. 

4. If it was a regular Shia mosque and not one of the Shrines of the Imams((عليه السلام)), it was probably just a decoration and not a real grave. 

5. If you are Muslim, you can marry her. Dating is not allowed. 

6. No, it's not ok. 

7. No. We do this all the time on ShiaChat. Many also do this offline, in real life. As long as the discussion don't devolve into threats and personal insults, there is nothing wrong with them. 

8. I'm Shia, not Iranian or Pakistani. I like Biryani. There you go.