Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
amuslim

Trying to understand Shia Islam better

Rate this topic

On 4/11/2019 at 5:49 AM, amuslim said:

I have one more question. As a Shia what is it that really differentiate you from Sunnis?

Why aren't Sunnis and Shia's praying in the same masjid? 

In your own words, what do you think about it. 

Read my comment above, what differentiates Shias from Sunnis is that Shias accept Prophet’s family as his official and best successors, and Sunnis follow random, unrelated people that happened to gain power through cheating or deception, and even persecuted Prophet’s family after his death. 

We don’t pray in the same mosques due to the numerous fundamental differences; from simple prayer rituals to Islamic theology. Can you expect us to sit idle through Friday sermon where Sunni prayer leader praises people who killed Prophet’s family? No.

To make it easier to understand. Why do Catholics don’t pray at the Protestant gatherings and vice versa? Due to considerable theological beliefs that simply can’t be reconciled. 

Edited by OrthodoxTruth

On 4/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, amuslim said:

6. Is it okay to be a Shia Muslim and not care about your religion? Just living your life as every American is living theirs. 

Salam walaikum

There is a criteria for being a true Shia of Ali. We must love who they love and hate who they hate, love what they love and hate what they hate. So to answer question number six, you cannot be considered a Shia if you don’t hate what is haram.

9 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

I am tired of Sunni Shia dialogue but I felt like talking biryiani here.

I have tried many sorts of biryiani (IndoPak / Sri Lanki / Mauritian, etc...) but I have to, I feel compelled to, it is my duty to mention that Persian biryiani -the Isfahani one - is completly different from the rest of the world.  

It doesn't even come with rice. Pollo dishes are closer to what the world woukd call biryani.

Just wanted to let the world know and not deceive people.

Truth is now told.

I don't try other type f biryianis but closest to them in name is the Osfahand one but I recently advetisement of Lebanese restaurants but I don't try Lebanese food yet  other version of  goods are IndoPak foods are unfamiliar in Iran because of not existing Indo Pak restaurants & amount of spices  but some people like their food & are trying to makr it by themselves but we don't have an Indo Pak resaturat with professional chef to make real Indopak foods with real taste of it but in limited form streetfood & sandwiches with IndoPak receipts are available but it's very limited to HaftTir street exhibition  that introduces all street foods from any country in Tehran.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

On 4/3/2019 at 5:39 PM, amuslim said:

I am in my 20s living in America, I been trying to learn different religious and maybe you can help me with yours

Ask away about anything you would like to know. The only way to defeat ignorance is with the sharing of knowledge. :einstein:

I am in my 20s living in America, I been trying to learn different religious and maybe you can help me with yours

Welcome...let's see what we can do for you. :grin:. I'm born and raised in Chicago, but please keep in mind that members of this forum hail from all over the world and as such you will see a variety of opinion, beliefs and everything else that comes along with interacting with a diaspora who's mindset and opinions are determined by their cultural and everyday life experiences.

So far all I know is Islam has 2 major sects Shia and Sunni

In general yes, but there are many subsects to both that differ in beliefs within those major sects as well. For example, this forum has members that are mostly from the 12er Subsect of Shi'a, however there are also a myriad of other subsects under the Shi'a umbrella as well. The main commonality is that all of the subsects agree on the position that Ali (عليه السلام) should have been the leader of Muslims after the death of the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)).

1. Shi'a (the name itself derives from the long form of "Shi'at ul Ali", which means "Party of Ali") - make up between 10%-15% of all Muslims worldwide - but 50% of the Middle East.
    1. 12'ers - The majority of Shi'a come under this sub-sect. This is due to the belief in 12 divinely appointed Imams (عليه السلام) whom came after the Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)). You'll find many of the subsects are titled by number and that is indicative of how many Imams (عليه السلام) they follow out of the list. 
    2. 5'ers - Zaidis - They believe only in 5 Imams (عليه السلام) out of the 12 that 12ers believe in.
    3. 7'ers - Ismailis - Same as 5'ers but they believe in 7 out of the 12.
    4. Alawites - A bit of a complicated group. While they believe in the divinity of Ali (عليه السلام), they are however extremely secretive about their faith. Traditionally they were not considered to be within the fold of Islam for centuries. Deemed heretic due to their belief that Ali (عليه السلام) was the true messenger of Allah, and not the Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)). It was just recently due to political motivations that Irani leadership deemed them as within the fold of Islam. Not all Shi'a agree with that however. 
  2. Sunni (the name derives from "Ahl as-sunnah wa l-jamāʻah", which means "the people of the tradition of the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) and his community") - 90%-85% of all Muslims worldwide, but again only 50% of the Middle East. This is due to there being more Muslims in Asia than in the Middle East. (In fact, 43% of the world's Muslims live in Indonesia, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh alone)
    1. Sunnis don't really have significant sub-sects. The only difference that could perhaps serve as a divider would be what school of law they follow (Sharia Law). Sunnis have 4 schools of law with differences but not considerable enough to deem each a subset. However, this does not equate to groups of Sunni with different interpretations of Islam. 
      1. Conservative
        1. Wahabbi/Salafi
      2. Moderate
      3. Liberal

Does Shia women wear hijab just like Sunni women and do the men have beard as well?

Women are supposed to dress modestly while covering their hair. Depending on whether they are Conservative, Moderate or Liberal will dictate whether they wear one or not, and to what extent.

Same applies to beards. 

Are Sunnis going to hell according to Shia believes?

Islamically...no. Shi'a believe them to be misguided but still within the fold of Islam. They are Muslims at the end of the day. Accountable for their sins and misdeeds the same as any other Muslim. 

I saw a grave in the Shia mosque, why was that there?

Same as a grave in a Church or Cathedral. A person wished to be buried on revered ground and was thus buried. 

Which Mosque did you see this in?

Was that even a mosque or someplace else?

Where was it that you saw the grave?

I like a girl and she's Shia.

What's your religion?

Can I date her?

Islamic rules of etiquette and modesty do not permit this.

Marry her?

Unfortunately, if you are not a Muslim, specifically a Shi'a then you can not. There are many rulings from our religious leaders which range from discouraging this to outright denying it as valid. Not to say it still doesn't happen, but if you are asking the Shi'a Islamic ruling as decreed by our leaders than that's what it is.

She's not very religious so I don't think she cares.

Well, problem solved for you then...:yahoo:

Is it okay to be a Shia Muslim and not care about your religion?

How is that any different than being a member of any religion and not following it. There's no concise answer to be had for that due to it being a personal choice. No different than being Catholic or Mormon and not caring about your religion, why would Shi'a Islam be any different? Again, its how a person chooses to live their life regardless of what their religion says.

Do Shia hates Sunnis?

Some do, not all. Same as with Sunni. Some hate Shi'a, but not all. Its not always driven by religion, as much as its by politics, education level and ultimately how often you interact with members of the other group. No different than how the majority of Evangelical Republicans hate Muslims, yet less than 5% of them have ever met a Muslim. Also, economic class and education level play a large factor in this. People who lack in education and finances tend to be bitter to begin with and route their unhappiness towards someone else that they blame for their sufferings. Not to say there haven't been reasons to hate Sunni but to apply a blanket statement simply lacks validity.

Same as with Catholics and Protestants. Some hate each other, but not all. It all comes down ultimately meeting and interacting with someone and getting to know them as a person and not as a Label.

can I get a Sunni and Shia to sit down and have a talk about religion?

Depends on the people, if you have open minded people who possess the dignity and respect to value another person's opinion on something then...yes. However, if you get some bitter, small minded people who lack the intellectual capacity to sit and be open minded about something like religion then...no.

Its all about who they are as individuals and sect has nothing to do with it.

Do Iranian Shia like briyani or just Pakistani people eat briyani?

Depends on the person if they like it or not. Your question is the same as asking if a Candian person like to eat Mongolian Beef.

Its a dish which originated in Persia but was carried into the sub-continent by Persian migrants and evolved into its different types. Muslims from India eat it just as much, if not more than Muslims in Pakistan (same group of people BTW...google "Indian Partition of 1947"

Hope this helps, feel free to ask whatever else comes to mind.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:00 AM, Murtaza1 said:

Funny thing is that I heard biryani comes from Afghanistan :eat:

2 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

Its a dish which originated in Persia but was carried into the sub-continent by Persian migrants and evolved into its different types. Muslims from India eat it just as much, if not more than Muslims in Pakistan (same group of people BTW...google "Indian Partition of 1947"

Late reply: It actually originated from Hyderabad, India.

Edited by Simon the Canaanite

24 minutes ago, Simon the Canaanite said:

It actually originated from Hyderabad, India.

Kinda sorta...Hyderabad, previously Golkonda and before that the Bahmani Sultanate was Safavid Shi'a kingdom in India and rumors are that the Safavids either brought the recipe with them and then modified it to local style, or it was adapted from a Persian dish with rice and beef.

Regardless, Hyderabadi Biryani is the greatest biryani in the world !!!

On 5/18/2019 at 12:58 AM, Akbar673 said:

rumors are that the Safavids either brought the recipe with them and then modified it to local style, or it was adapted from a Persian dish with rice and beef.

Salam we have still simple form of that we call it 'مرغ با پلو ' ' morgh la Polo' that it's translation is chicken inside rice but usually restaurants make chicken & Rice separate from each other but you can also can find  meat balls that cooked with  rice in traditional iranian restaurants that present traditional foods of North of Iran ,but Iranian don't use Masala & other spices 

مرغ لای پلو

Morgh Lay polo

The most similar to Biryani is Qaymeh la Polo' that is more popular  قیمه با پلو

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

On 5/17/2019 at 8:44 AM, Zahra.5 said:

Salam.
Shia chat thanks God, has a friendly and intimate community that respect each other and try to help.
the atmosphere hear is very friendly and kind!
I am ready to help anyone in the universe who is seeker of truth!
Allah bless you!
I am a Shia Muslim.
Shia believe that Prophets are infallible and prophethood is a divine position and only Allah should selects Prophets for guiding mankind.
Allah selected infallible Prophets for guiding mankind.
all divine Prophets are immaculate in all of aspects of there life.

This cannot be true. Look at the story of Yunus in the Qur'an for instance.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:39 AM, amuslim said:

Please be kind and try to answer my question with an open mind. 

I am in my 20s living in America, I been trying to learn different religious and maybe you can help me with yours. 

1. It was one religion untill the time of death of the Prophet then his friend Abu bakar was choosen as the next leader but some people wanted Ali (his son in law) to be the next leader. That's all I know about the divide. Why divide a religion over this? Did Ali wanted to be a leader? Was he mistreated? Why is there still a divide? We can't go back and change the history so why not join Shia and Sunni back together. Unless there are other things I am missing.

2. Does Shia women wear hijab just like Sunni women and do the men have beard as well? 

3. Are Sunnis going to hell according to Shia believes? 

4. I saw a grave in the Shia mosque, why was that there? Was that even a mosque or someplace else? 

5. I like a girl and she's Shia. Can I date her? Marry her? She's not very religious so I don't think she cares. 

6. Is it okay to be a Shia Muslim and not care about your religion? Just living your life as every American is living theirs. 

7. Do Shia hates Sunnis? Or can I get a Sunni and Shia to sit down and have a talk about religion? 

8. Do Iranian Shia like briyani or just Pakistani people eat briyani? 

I may have many questions in the future. Is there a group chat or website I can use to talk to other Shia Muslims that's in English? 

To begin with Biryani, Pakistani and Indian Shia eat biryani but Iranian Shias might not like too much spices as I know, they eat less spices and Biryani is Spice-Heaven.

1. Now to the rest of questions; there are plenty of similarities between Shias and Sunnis, both Shias and Sunnis believe in Prophet (PBUHHP) as last Prophet and love his Ahlebait and companions. However, there is a major difference of as to who is the worthy successor of Prophet (PBUHHP). We Shias have plenty of evidence from Qur'an, Hadith and History that proves that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) should have been paid allegiance rather than Hazrat Abu bakar, the reason of this is that Hazrat Abu Bakr asked for help from Imam Ali (عليه السلام) many times in jurisprudence and political matters but Imam Ali (عليه السلام) never asked his help in any matter that proves that Hazrat Abu bakar voted for Imam Ali (عليه السلام) indirectly and so did Hazrat Umer and Hazrat Usman (رضي الله عنه).

2. Yes, Shia women follow same Qur'an as Sunni Women and Shia men keep beard like Sunni brothers, But, some follow rules of wearing beard such as trimming and some do not which is taught by Sunnah of Prophet (PBUHHP).

3. Any bad person regardless of being Shia or Sunni, if they are oppressors, they are going to hell.

4. There is grave of Prophet Ishmael in Kabatullah, the holy site of Muslims and it does not invalidate any worship there likewise for all other mosques.

5. You cannot date her, and you can marry her after being Muslim as it is prohibited for a non-Muslim to marry a Muslim.

6. If you are a Muslim, you have to behave like a Muslim, otherwise, why call yourself a Muslim if you do not honor the religion to whom you have sworn to believe ?

7. Educated Shias and Educated Sunnis do not hate each other, we understand that belief is sacred for everyone and none will answer for others. I guarantee myself that being a Shia, I would like to engage in a religious debate until it becomes uncomfortable for my Sunni brother to talk religion. 

If you like to talk to me about religion, you can message me and I will be happy to respond. 

On 4/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, amuslim said:

Please be kind and try to answer my question with an open mind. 

I am in my 20s living in America, I been trying to learn different religious and maybe you can help me with yours. 

1. It was one religion untill the time of death of the Prophet then his friend Abu bakar was choosen as the next leader but some people wanted Ali (his son in law) to be the next leader. That's all I know about the divide. Why divide a religion over this? Did Ali wanted to be a leader? Was he mistreated? Why is there still a divide? We can't go back and change the history so why not join Shia and Sunni back together. Unless there are other things I am missing.

2. Does Shia women wear hijab just like Sunni women and do the men have beard as well? 

3. Are Sunnis going to hell according to Shia believes? 

4. I saw a grave in the Shia mosque, why was that there? Was that even a mosque or someplace else? 

5. I like a girl and she's Shia. Can I date her? Marry her? She's not very religious so I don't think she cares. 

7. Do Shia hates Sunnis? Or can I get a Sunni and Shia to sit down and have a talk about religion? 

8. Do Iranian Shia like briyani or just Pakistani people eat briyani? 

I may have many questions in the future. Is there a group chat or website I can use to talk to other Shia Muslims that's in English? 

1. It wasn't about 'some' wanted Ali((عليه السلام)) and some wanted Abu Bakr. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) chose Ali((عليه السلام)) to be the one to lead the Ummah after the death of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h). Every Prophet had a successor chosen by Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) from Adam((عليه السلام).) to Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h). Because Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) was Khatim An Nabeen (Seal of the Prophets), or last of the Prophets, his successor obviously couldn't be another Prophet. The Institution of Prophethood came to an end with Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) but the Institution of Imamate, mentioned many times in the Holy Qur'an, continued through Imam Ali((عليه السلام)). There were so many proofs given for the Imamate of Imam Ali((عليه السلام)) that it could not be denied through logic. 

So there were some in the community at the time of the death of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) who didn't want to see the sucessorship of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) to go to Imam Ali((عليه السلام)), so the gathered at the Saqifa of Banu Sai'da and they suceeded in hijacking the process of sucessorship and they prevented Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) from writing a Wasiyat. This hijacking of the process is what split the Ummah and the consequences of this action are still being felt today. 

What has continued this split to today is ignorance, prejudice, and the deliberate cover up of some ulema toward these issues (like Saqifa, Ghadeer, Prevention by some companions of allowing Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) to write his Wasiyyat).

2. They both wear hijab but the rules for Hijab in Jaafari Fiqh(commonly refered to as 'Shia' fiqh) are very clear, so women understand exactly what they must cover and what they don't need to cover. Not all of them follow this, but the rules for it are clear, as has been discussed alot on this site. For the four other Mathahib (commonly referred to as Sunni fiqh) there is the concept of Hijab but the exact rules about what should be covered and what should not be covered is not as clear. That is why you see some women wearing Niqab, some not covering their hair, and some wearing even cloths that reveal their body parts and skin and all of them saying that this is in the Fiqh of their mathhab. 

3. We are taught that only Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows who is going to heaven and who is going to hell (except for the few cases, like Abu Lahab, that are mentioned in Qur'an). So it is possible that there may be many who claim to be followers of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)), commonly referred to as 'Shia' who are going to hell and many Sunni who are going to heaven. As Shia, we rely on the intercession (Shafa'at) of Imam of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) to get us into heaven, and not our own good deeds. So we are promised Shifa'at as long as we accept the Wilayat of Imams((عليه السلام)) of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) and make a sincere attempt to live our lives according to their teachings. So because of this, we feel that we have a better chance of making it to heaven, but at the same time nothing is guaranteed which is why we constantly strive to become better as far as following these teachings. 

4. If it was a regular Shia mosque and not one of the Shrines of the Imams((عليه السلام)), it was probably just a decoration and not a real grave. 

5. If you are Muslim, you can marry her. Dating is not allowed. 

6. No, it's not ok. 

7. No. We do this all the time on ShiaChat. Many also do this offline, in real life. As long as the discussion don't devolve into threats and personal insults, there is nothing wrong with them. 

8. I'm Shia, not Iranian or Pakistani. I like Biryani. There you go.