Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
EasternQibla

The creation of the Light of Muhammad

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I would like to know more about the concept of the Light of Muhammad. I know that this can be a controversial topic, but from what I can gather, Shia accept the existence of the Light of Muhammad as being created from the Light of Allah. It is this that I would like to be clarified.

By saying that the Light of Muhammad was created from the Light of Allah, do you mean:

1)   That the Light of Muhammad was created from nothing, but appeared to be like the Light of Allah?

2)   that a ‘part’ of Allah’s Light ceased being part of Allah to become the Light of Muhammad? 

3)   That the Light of Muhammad never left Allah’s Light, but exists within It?

4)   That the Light of Muhammad is part of Allah or of Allah's Light?

5)   Or something else!

I’ve looked at certain Sufi books, and there never seems to be a clear answer? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EasternQibla said:

 

I would like to know more about the concept of the Light of Muhammad. I know that this can be a controversial topic, but from what I can gather, Shia accept the existence of the Light of Muhammad as being created from the Light of Allah. It is this that I would like to be clarified.

By saying that the Light of Muhammad was created from the Light of Allah, do you mean:

1)   That the Light of Muhammad was created from nothing, but appeared to be like the Light of Allah?

2)   that a ‘part’ of Allah’s Light ceased being part of Allah to become the Light of Muhammad? 

3)   That the Light of Muhammad never left Allah’s Light, but exists within It?

4)   That the Light of Muhammad is part of Allah or of Allah's Light?

5)   Or something else!

I’ve looked at certain Sufi books, and there never seems to be a clear answer? 

From what I know it wasn’t created out of “nothing” because something coming from absolutely nothing is precisely the claim we use against atheists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EasternQibla said:

1)   That the Light of Muhammad was created from nothing, but appeared to be like the Light of Allah?

Salam Only  number one  accepted by Shias other ways defines amount of light for Allah that makes him measurable that is not acceptable by Shia Islam doctrine & this one has a flaw because we can’t compare his light with light of Allah it’s better to say light of Prophet Muhammad (عليه السلام) shows he is closest creature to Allah 

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EasternQibla said:

 

I would like to know more about the concept of the Light of Muhammad. I know that this can be a controversial topic, but from what I can gather, Shia accept the existence of the Light of Muhammad as being created from the Light of Allah. It is this that I would like to be clarified.

By saying that the Light of Muhammad was created from the Light of Allah, do you mean:

1)   That the Light of Muhammad was created from nothing, but appeared to be like the Light of Allah?

2)   that a ‘part’ of Allah’s Light ceased being part of Allah to become the Light of Muhammad? 

3)   That the Light of Muhammad never left Allah’s Light, but exists within It?

4)   That the Light of Muhammad is part of Allah or of Allah's Light?

5)   Or something else!

I’ve looked at certain Sufi books, and there never seems to be a clear answer? 

whats your theory of his light?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, EasternQibla said:

 

I would like to know more about the concept of the Light of Muhammad. I know that this can be a controversial topic, but from what I can gather, Shia accept the existence of the Light of Muhammad as being created from the Light of Allah. It is this that I would like to be clarified.

By saying that the Light of Muhammad was created from the Light of Allah, do you mean:

1)   That the Light of Muhammad was created from nothing, but appeared to be like the Light of Allah?

2)   that a ‘part’ of Allah’s Light ceased being part of Allah to become the Light of Muhammad? 

3)   That the Light of Muhammad never left Allah’s Light, but exists within It?

4)   That the Light of Muhammad is part of Allah or of Allah's Light?

5)   Or something else!

I’ve looked at certain Sufi books, and there never seems to be a clear answer? 

Think about it like this (as you're a Christian). In a similar (but different) way to how Jesus (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is seen as pre-creation (of the universe) in Christianity, Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is seen in Islam as the pre-Adam ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) soul. 

Muhammad's (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) soul is pure in a way unlike Adam's (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). 

Muhammad's soul is not identical with Allah, no, not in any possible way. (This is another massive point of divergence between Christianity and Islam on our pre-eternal Prophets, respectively.) 

 

The topic you bring up is also a good place to interject that it has a lot of relevance to how Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is the seal of the Prophets. He is pre-Adam, at the same time as he is the final Prophet to bring the original Revelation of Allah saw.

Self-proclaimed "Prophets" after Muhammad are mere rehashers or mixers of doctrines, syncretic inventors.

Edited by HakimPtsid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, EasternQibla said:

but appeared to be like the Light of Allah?

Like Him there is nothing. 
 

19 hours ago, EasternQibla said:

 that a ‘part’ of Allah’s Light ceased being part of Allah

He cannot be decomposed and cannot be divided.
 

19 hours ago, EasternQibla said:

That the Light of Muhammad never left Allah’s Light, but exists within It?

He cannot be added or multiplied in any sense.
 

19 hours ago, EasternQibla said:

Or something else!

وَمَنْ لَمْ يَجْعَلِ اللَّهُ لَهُ نُورًا فَمَا لَهُ مِنْ نُورٍ 
(and to whomsoever Allah does not give light, he has no light.) 24:40

This is the first concept you need to keep in mind. Now lets go to the parable of divine light:

اللَّهُ نُورُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ ۚ مَثَلُ نُورِهِ كَمِشْكَاةٍ فِيهَا مِصْبَاحٌ ۖ الْمِصْبَاحُ فِي زُجَاجَةٍ ۖ الزُّجَاجَةُ كَأَنَّهَا كَوْكَبٌ دُرِّيٌّ يُوقَدُ مِنْ شَجَرَةٍ مُبَارَكَةٍ زَيْتُونَةٍ لَا شَرْقِيَّةٍ وَلَا غَرْبِيَّةٍ يَكَادُ زَيْتُهَا يُضِيءُ وَلَوْ لَمْ تَمْسَسْهُ نَارٌ ۚ نُورٌ عَلَىٰ نُورٍ ۗ يَهْدِي اللَّهُ لِنُورِهِ مَنْ يَشَاءُ ۚ وَيَضْرِبُ اللَّهُ الْأَمْثَالَ لِلنَّاسِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ
( Allah is the light of the heavens and the Earth; a likeness of His light is as a niche in which is a lamp, the lamp is in a glass, (and) the glass is as it were a brightly shining star, lit from a blessed olive-tree, neither eastern nor western, the oil whereof almost gives light though fire touch it not-- light upon light-- Allah guides to His light whom He pleases, and Allah sets forth parables for men, and Allah is Cognizant of all things.) 24:35

 

Edited by Salsabeel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Observer

and what were we created from?

Did God take our contents from something outside of himself and make us? so was there something that God didnt reach or it didnt reach God? which would indicate instantly that God is not infinite and if he is not infinite then he must have a beginning of he has a beginning he must have an end so therefore this statement that anything other than the being of God existed and everything takes shape or forms in its various lights and attributes and names is true

so are you happy now? did you not feel special enough that you were not celebrated as the Ahlul Bayt were?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 3:41 PM, Ejaz said:

From what I know it wasn’t created out of “nothing” because something coming from absolutely nothing is precisely the claim we use against atheists. 

By suggesting that the Light of Muhammad was created from nothing, I meant to assume that it was created by God from nothing. Atheists can be accused of believing that everything came from nothing without a creator, and so how could this be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 3:46 PM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam Only  number one  accepted by Shias other ways defines amount of light for Allah that makes him measurable that is not acceptable by Shia Islam doctrine & this one has a flaw because we can’t compare his light with light of Allah it’s better to say light of Prophet Muhammad (عليه السلام) shows he is closest creature to Allah 

Thank you for your view. God truly is not measurable. There are Sufi stories about God talking a "handful" of his light and forming Muhammad's light from it. I suppose the story was meant to be symbolic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

whats your theory of his light?

I shall write after the weekend. I want to see what Muslims - specifically either Shia or Sufi - think of it. Many years ago I joined another Muslim forum, and also asked about the Light of Muhammad, and got a strange reply about his teaching being his 'light'. I later discovered that this was wahabi or similar. oops!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HakimPtsid said:

Think about it like this (as you're a Christian). In a similar (but different) way to how Jesus (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is seen as pre-creation (of the universe) in Christianity, Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is seen in Islam as the pre-Adam ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) soul. 

Muhammad's (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) soul is pure in a way unlike Adam's (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). 

Muhammad's soul is not identical with Allah, no, not in any possible way. (This is another massive point of divergence between Christianity and Islam on our pre-eternal Prophets, respectively.) 

 

The topic you bring up is also a good place to interject that it has a lot of relevance to how Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) is the seal of the Prophets. He is pre-Adam, at the same time as he is the final Prophet to bring the original Revelation of Allah saw.

Self-proclaimed "Prophets" after Muhammad are mere rehashers or mixers of doctrines, syncretic inventors.

Thank you for your point. You bring up some interesting points for discussion (who redeems Adam - Jesus or Muhammad), but this is not the thread for it. You imply that Jesus' soul is Allah; this is incorrect, although easy to see how certain statements about God can be misunderstood. Jesus was fully human; his body, soul, spirit (or whatever belongs to humanity) were created within Mary's womb. This is believed by all mainstream churches (Coptic, 'Nestorian', Greek, Western). A related question would be: how is the Light of Muhammad related to Muhammad himself, and also to the Imams and Prophets. Perhaps for another thread, but this is a question I'd like to ask sometime. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

Like Him there is nothing. 
 

He cannot be decomposed and cannot be divided.
 

He cannot be added or multiplied in any sense.
 

We are in absolute agreement. (However, I know that some Sufis have related the Light verse you quoted to the Light of Muhammad). So what are your thoughts about the Light of Muhammad being created from the Light of Allah?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Guest Observer said:

and what were we created from?

Did God take our contents from something outside of himself and make us? so was there something that God didnt reach or it didnt reach God? which would indicate instantly that God is not infinite and if he is not infinite then he must have a beginning of he has a beginning he must have an end so therefore this statement that anything other than the being of God existed and everything takes shape or forms in its various lights and attributes and names is true

so are you happy now? did you not feel special enough that you were not celebrated as the Ahlul Bayt were?

Interesting point. The standard answer is that creation was created "from nothing" - hence God is still infinite. This is why stating that Muhammad's Light was created from Allah's Light and not created from nothing is so very important.

PS. What do you mean by, "so are you happy now? did you not feel special enough that you were not celebrated as the Ahlul Bayt were?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EasternQibla said:

PS. What do you mean by, "so are you happy now? did you not feel special enough that you were not celebrated as the Ahlul Bayt were?"

The creation from clay of Al Elbeit

The science of energy and Islam

 

Whe we really are ?from where did we come from?

 

Revealing the 10 deepest secrets of spiritual veil ( Quantum physics)

 

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...