Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Farsi

Color of clothes that permit in Islam

Rate this topic

Salam my bother and sister , 

Im 23 years old female and I want to ask about the color of clothing for Muslim women. Do women permit to wear bright color ? Is dark color preferable? In my opinion, dark color is more preferable to wear . I’m curious about this . Could brother and sister explain to me .

It depends on what is culturally acceptable. A Muslim woman should dress in a way that is considered modest in her society. Bright colors are not specifically prohibited, but if they will draw the wrong kind of attention, they shouldn't be worn. 

Walaikum a Salam, 

I agree with @notme

Personally I also think people should try and dress according to the seasons. Wear colourful clothes during spring and summer, shady tones of red orange during autumn and darker clothing in the winter season. It sends out positive vibes and energy. I heard somewhere that spreading good vibes such as wearing colourful clothes is an act of goodness. 

Edited by Murtaza1

2 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

Walaikum a Salam, 

I agree with @notme

Personally I also think people should try and dress according to the seasons. Wear colourful clothes during spring and summer, shady tones of red orange during autumn and darker clothing in the winter season. It sends out positive vibes and energy. I heard somewhere that spreading good vibes such as wearing colourful clothes is an act of goodness. 

Thank you for the info brother,  I will keep that in mind.  I didn't know that wearing bright colour is permitted .  

2 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

Walaikum a Salam, 

I agree with @notme

6 hours ago, notme said:

It depends on what is culturally acceptable. A Muslim woman should dress in a way that is considered modest in her society. Bright colors are not specifically prohibited, but if they will draw the wrong kind of attention, they shouldn't be worn. 

Thank you for the info brother. I'm afraid to wear bright colour cuz I will draw some attention  to me. 

I recall there are a few Sunni narrations about wearing red being haram for men

From Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: “I was forbidden (to wear) red garments and gold rings, and to recite Qur’aan in rukoo’.” (Narrated by al-Nasaa’I, no. 5171. Imaam al-Albaani said: its isnaad is saheeh. Saheeh Sunan al-Nasaa’I, 1068).

Anyone know if this is also in Shia narrations?

4 hours ago, Farsi said:

Thank you for the info brother. I'm afraid to wear bright colour cuz I will draw some attention  to me. 

Nobody has to wear bright colors. It's a matter of modesty and choice. If you're more comfortable in black or dark colors, that's fine. 

In many Arab cultures, bright colors on a woman are considered immodest. Cultural traditions should never be followed if they contradict Islam, but should be followed if they are compatible with Islam and avoiding them will cause you to be ridiculed. 

4 hours ago, Farsi said:

Thank you for the info brother,  I will keep that in mind.  I didn't know that wearing bright colour is permitted .  

I don’t know about permussion but I have only seen negative hadits about wearing bright colours in Sunni hadits so I don’t consider them seriously. Its a matter of common sense and iklaq in my opinion. It uplifts the mood and depression. 

4 minutes ago, notme said:

Nobody has to wear bright colors. It's a matter of modesty and choice. If you're more comfortable in black or dark colors, that's fine.

4 hours ago, Farsi said:

I agree it is a matter of choice. Just be sensible about choice. I think as long as it is within the bounds of religion it is fine. You don't have to wear them in front of everybody. Even wearing bright colours at home by yourself or family and friends is good enough and has good effects on the mood and mind. 

50 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

I don’t know about permussion but I have only seen negative hadits about wearing bright colours in Sunni hadits so I don’t consider them seriously. Its a matter of common sense and iklaq in my opinion. It uplifts the mood and depression. 

I agree it is a matter of choice. Just be sensible about choice. I think as long as it is within the bounds of religion it is fine. You don't have to wear them in front of everybody. Even wearing bright colours at home by yourself or family and friends is good enough and has good effects on the mood and mind. 

Thank you brother . Someone said that wearing dark colour is wasabis (Wahhabi ) and I quite surprise because I said prefer to wear black  and dark color and not bright color . Automatically he thinks that I talk all women shouldn’t wear bright clothes 

1 hour ago, Farsi said:

Thank you brother . Someone said that wearing dark colour is wasabis (Wahhabi ) and I quite surprise because I said prefer to wear black  and dark color and not bright color . Automatically he thinks that I talk all women shouldn’t wear bright clothes 

Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) was wearing bright color dresses also he said his family are wearing colorful clothes in house & once he wear red color dress but said to his companions , I wear it because I married recently & my wife likes this dress but he said don’t mix yellow & black in your cloths because pharaoh & his tribe was using mix of yellow & black in their clothing also one they he gathered his companions & he was wearing complete black cloth even inside his shoe was black that he showed it to them that scholars interpreted as Taqyia because complete black color was cloth of cloth of Abbasids at that time but he was stating in other times that black is cloth color of people of hell but he & rest of Imams didnkt forbid it that now wearing total black is Makruh in whole of year but recommended by Shia Marjas during first  ten days of Muharram as sign of mourning for Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) but no color prohibited by Shia fiqh except it’s unmodest in community or resembles enemies of Shia Islam 

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

2 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) was wearing bright color dresses also he said his family are wearing colorful clothes in house & once he wear red color dress but said to his companions , I wear it because I married recently & my wife likes this dress but he said don’t mix yellow & black in your cloths because pharaoh & his tribe was using mix of yellow & black in their clothing also one they he gathered his companions & he was wearing complete black cloth even inside his shoe was black that he showed it to them that scholars interpreted as Taqyia because complete black color was cloth of cloth of Abbasids at that time but he was stating in other times that black is cloth color of people of hell but he & rest of Imams didnkt forbid it that now wearing total black is Makruh in whole of year but recommended by Shia Marjas during first  ten days of Muharram as sign of mourning for Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) but no color prohibited by Shia fiqh except it’s unmodest in community or resembles enemies of Shia Islam 

Thank you for the info , brother . I will keep that in mind, I still learning about my faith as Shia and I mixed up with Sunni teaching since my parents are Sunni and even I’m not Sunni , I still have to follow their way . That’s why I mix up Sunni and Shia .