Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

[Resolved]Is it permissible to marry a Sunni man

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

I was wondering if a Shia woman can marry a Sunni man and if not why? I don’t want to ask this question to my parents because they will think im having something with a Sunni man. By the way, im with sayed Hussein fadlalah. 

Yes, she can.

I'm myself married to a Sunni man. He was the best possible match for me out of everyone I'd met. I'd recommend it only if there's mutual respect for each other's beliefs.

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, sisi said:

I was wondering if a Shia woman can marry a Sunni man and if not why? I don’t want to ask this question to my parents because they will think im having something with a Sunni man. By the way, im with sayed Hussein fadlalah. 

A Muslim can marry another Muslim.

If you focus on what you have in common and respect and understand the differences, I can't see why that would be a problem.

• Veteran Member

Respect, understanding and love...these 3 elements are most important between humans.

A Sunni is a Muslim.  If you marry a Sunni and he shows respect, understanding and love toward you, what is the problem!!!

However, to ensure up to certain degree that he (shunni or Shia) is truthful in respecting, understanding and loving toward you....you need some level of verification and confidence.

• Advanced Member
36 minutes ago, Ar.alhindi said:

For the Sunni, from his own Fiqh it is Haram to marry a Twelver in the majority of cases, so would one really want to marry someone who so easily goes against their own beliefs?

The Sunni-Shia divide did not exist at the time of the Prophet, peace be upon him; therefore, there is no verse from the Qur'an or hadith from the Prophet forbidding a Sunni from marrying a Shia, or a Shia from marrying a Sunni; for the simple fact that the Qur'an and the Prophet's ahadith address Muslims (O ye who have faith) and not Sunnis or Shias, to the exclusion of one another.

"Anyone who prays our prayer, faces our Qiblah, and eats of our sacrificed meat is a Muslim.", said the Prophet, peace be upon him. A Muslim can marry another Muslim.

Fatwas that prohibit "Sunnis" from marrying Shias are based on the individual opinions and prejudices of the "scholars" that issued them, not on something that Allah سبحانه وتعالی and His Prophet صلّی الله عليه وآله وسلّم said.

Al-Azhar, the most well-known Sunni institution of learning, has declared that Shias and Sunnis are both Muslims, and that a marriage between a Muslim man and a Muslim woman is valid, regardless of their difference in madhhab.

Wahhabi sheikhs, who typically make takfir of Shias, may prohibit a Sunni-Shia marriage; but they don't represent the whole of Sunni Islam.

Edited by SirajDin
  • Veteran Member
7 hours ago, Ar.alhindi said:

For the Sunni, from his own Fiqh it is Haram to marry a Twelver in the majority of cases, so would one really want to marry someone who so easily goes against their own beliefs?

:salam:

lol @ reasoning.

You said 'majority of the cases' , which means not in all the cases ; so how can it really go against the Sunni belief.

You give your opinion on marriage match while your opinions do not even fit with the facts you bring.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Ar.alhindi said:

It’s only Wahabist & Salafis from any group that have this hatred idea but for centuries Sunnis & Shias are marrying with each other but by intervention of Wahhabists & their propaganda against Shias it becomes a serious matter between Shia & Sunnis