Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  

To what extent is suicide haram

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, 313. said:

I know that suicide is haram but there are something’s ppl just can’t live through 

The suicide ie killing of himself deliberately is strictly prohibited and its end result is abiding in hell fire.

7 hours ago, 313. said:

I know that suicide is haram but there are something’s ppl just can’t live through 

If you're going through anything were all here to help you :) if you or anyone else is having suicidal thoughts you should see a therapist as soon as possible. Theres always a safe way out. Suicide is never the answer, not only is it haram, but people who do survive their suicide attempts always admit they regret it straight away. 

Take care

7 hours ago, 313. said:

Suicide under any situation is haram. There are no things that a person can not survive through, they may be painful and horrible  to endure through but Allah never places an obstacle in our lives that we do not have the ability to overcome.

The key reasoning behind suicide being haram is the basis that a person has lost any and all faith in the mercy of Allah. Its an advanced level of despair, which is also haram. 

Now, the question arises as to the mental state of the individual who commits suicide. Allah will judge them accordingly, since he is the only one who knows their true Mental status. However, it is imperative to remember that if a person has any level of lucidity left that will allow them to stop and ponder their actions before committing suicide, then they would logically be held responsible for their actions.

It also needs to be mentioned that a person that is suffering deeply emotionally and/or psychiatrically has to realize the need for medical intervention, the same falls on the people in their life, to identify a bad situation and to act accordingly.

However, it can not be understated as to the dire situation that awaits the soul of a person who is in a lucid enough state and still commits suicide. Its a fate devoid of any mercy or forgiveness. Anyone that is contemplating this should immediately stop and pray for Allah's guidance to avoid this most terrifying punishment after they kill themselves. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705684/

Suicide

Islam helps to prevent suicide by two ways, directly by prohibiting it and indirectly, by lowering the causes of suicide such as substance abuse and maintaining mental/emotional well-being.[]

In Islam, suicide is considered to be strictly prohibited. The Qur'an mentions “… [do not] kill (or destroy) yourselves, for surely God has been Most Merciful to you” (Qur'an, 4:29). And like Prophet Muhammad said “He who commits suicide by throttling shall keep on throttling himself in the Hell Fire (forever) and he who commits suicide by stabbing himself shall keep on stabbing himself in the Hell-Fire.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, 2:23:446.)

On the contrary Muslims should remember God in times of suffering and pain and have faith and hope in God's mercy and compassion to ease the suffering. Despite suicide being prohibited and considered as a great sin, it should not be viewed as “black and white”, as it is widely acknowledged that a person with a mental illness who is not fully capable of making decisions is not held accountable for his/her actions. Most Muslim scholars agree that it is God alone who will judge the actions of each individual. This may help to reduce the guilt feeling that may affect the mentally ill patients after attempting suicide. Although it is reported that the Prophet did not pray at the funeral of a man who killed himself, he did not forbid his companions from praying at the man's funeral; this indicates a possibility for forgiveness.

14 hours ago, 313. said:

Personally I would never take my chance with suicide no matter how bad I feel. Allah put us here in this world for a reason. Allah is the one who decide when we go. If we try to exit prematurely, without having fulfilled our meaning and obligation to Allah, what are we going to answer when Allah ask us on judgement day? No pain we experience in this life will be worse than the pain of being away from Allah in the hereafter. So please don't do any thing stupid.
I feel sorry for the pour souls that the Takfiri terrorists has brainwashed into blowing them self up. They are so misguided.

I heard someone say once that "Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problem", I am no scholar of knowledge so I cannot comment on the legality of suicide (though I am quite sure it haram to some degree). However what I can say is that people are here for you and do not be afraid to reach out or PM me personally. I am here for you and most importantly Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is please seek help in whatever way you see fit.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) ease the situation you are in, and may and angel always be by your side reciting Dua E Yastasheer on your behalf. 

3 hours ago, Pius_Raj said:

I heard someone say once that "Suicide is a permanent solution to temporary problem", I am no scholar of knowledge so I cannot comment on the legality of suicide (though I am quite sure it haram to some degree). However what I can say is that people are here for you and do not be afraid to reach out or PM me personally. I am here for you and most importantly Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is please seek help in whatever way you see fit.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) ease the situation you are in, and may and angel always be by your side reciting Dua E Yastasheer on your behalf. 

what if he is not real

3 hours ago, 313. said:
7 hours ago, Pius_Raj said:

what if he is not real

Some of us has very good reason to believe that God exists. However if you take the agnostic stance, God's existence can not be either proved nor disproved. That means that there is still a chance (or risk if you will) - a possibility that Allah is in fact real. So I would not gamble my soul if I was you.

2 hours ago, Revert1963 said:

Some of us has very good reason to believe that God exists. However if you take the agnostic stance, God's existence can not be either proved nor disproved. That means that there is still a chance (or risk if you will) - a possibility that Allah is in fact real. So I would not gamble my soul if I was you.

I’m only saying this because it does not feel like anything exists or what is in the Qur'an about duas and reading the Qur'an is true 

10 hours ago, 313. said:

what if he is not real

I would agree with @Revert1963, even those who claim to not believe in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) eventually admit they are agnostic. For example I have one very good Turkish friend who is a staunch atheist but after questioning him a bit more about his beliefs he eventually revealed that he is more agnostic than atheist (where he believes if there is a God it cannot be proven in any empirical way). 

Having said this ones faith experiences highs and lows and while you may doubt the existence of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) maybe sometime in the near future your faith will reaffirm itself. But is it really worth taking the risk of not practicing and denying the existence of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) altogether? Remember more so than anything the mercy of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), I remember when I was a child and my parents used to tell me "Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) loves you more than 80 mothers." So do not feel that Allah does not love or care for the situation you are in, if your own mother would not forsake you how can the Most Merciful and Most Gracious do such.

If it is not to much to ask, is there any specific reason you feel the Qur'an and Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) are not real, or are you simply speculating?

On 3/28/2019 at 1:37 PM, 313. said:

Edited by Hassu93

4 hours ago, Pius_Raj said:

I would agree with @Revert1963, even those who claim to not believe in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) eventually admit they are agnostic. For example I have one very good Turkish friend who is a staunch atheist but after questioning him a bit more about his beliefs he eventually revealed that he is more agnostic than atheist (where he believes if there is a God it cannot be proven in any empirical way). 

Having said this ones faith experiences highs and lows and while you may doubt the existence of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) maybe sometime in the near future your faith will reaffirm itself. But is it really worth taking the risk of not practicing and denying the existence of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) altogether? Remember more so than anything the mercy of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), I remember when I was a child and my parents used to tell me "Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) loves you more than 80 mothers." So do not feel that Allah does not love or care for the situation you are in, if your own mother would not forsake you how can the Most Merciful and Most Gracious do such.

If it is not to much to ask, is there any specific reason you feel the Qur'an and Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) are not real, or are you simply speculating?

I still practice Islam but I feel like I’m praying to nothing which isn’t my fault anyone would feel the same way if they have made duas for 3 years and literally nothing happened 

9 minutes ago, 313. said:

I still practice Islam but I feel like I’m praying to nothing which isn’t my fault anyone would feel the same way if they have made duas for 3 years and literally nothing happened 

Salam how they know that nothing happened also we do Duas but it doesn’t mean that we must receive something immediately in cash people can’t see blessing by Duas in their life because they expect something special must happen after their Dua & don’t examine & co pare fairly their life before & after Duas 

Everybody is put on Earth for a purpose. God doesn't make mistakes and He loves every single one of us. Problems and situations can be too much to bear somedays, but I don't believe suicide should ever be the answer. There is always another way. You may not be able to come up with a solution right away, but there is always another option that doesn't require suicide. God reminds us in story after story that He will never waste the pain we are struggling through in this life. He will turn it around for good somehow and use it to strengthen us and to help other.

49 minutes ago, 313. said:

2:214. Or did you think you will enter Paradise without being tried with the distressing trials of those before you? They were tried and shaken with such hardship and calamity that the Rasul and the believers with him exclaimed, “When will Allah’s help come?” Undoubtedly, the help of Allah is near.

Look around you. Proof of God's existence is everywhere. Who but God could create the sun and the moon and the stars in the sky? The wind! Trees, flowers, sand, the fact that a bee can fly :). His existence is everywhere! God is real. God is amazing. God is awesome.

What stops Duas from being accepted ( Story of Prophet Musa (as))

s

7 hours ago, 313. said:

Hmm, what is the problem in particular? Is it your mental health if is not to much to ask?

16 hours ago, 313. said:

We all make dua and yes sometimes we don’t get what we want but you don’t know what’s best for you, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows. You may think nothing has happened but in reality it has. You can’t just make dua that Allah heals a cancer patient and if the patient dies blame it on Allah not accepting your dua or think he doesn’t exist. Everything happens for a reason, be sure of that. Also, Don’t doubt Allahs existence, nothing good comes from doing so. 

Getting help from experts in Islam is probably a wise thing to do. 

Guest Link

The Qur'an advises with the words, "Do not kill yourselves for God is (extremely) compassionate regarding you"

Don't listen to hell-fire and all that stuff.  You should know God cares for you, so this is the reason you should not suicide.

There is a hadith, I don't know if it appears in books by scholars of the Ahlul Bayt, but it says 'The pen is lifted for three people' and one is 'an insane man until he comes to his senses'. As in, if you suffer from a mental illness and commit suicide your deed is not recorded, however, if you commit suicide out of selfishness or in jest, then that is different. 

People who commit suicide are often gripped by mental illness, when a schizophrenic kills or vandalises they are guilty with 'diminished responsibility', suicide is no different. However, you get these people who play around with nooses and intend to go somewhat through the motions and then stop, it usually ends badly. Or you get people who say 'If I can't see my kids or if my wife doesn't stay with me I'll kill myself' these people have full responsibility, it's a measured act. These people have a good life, they aren't mentally unwell and they are generally trying to mock Allah and the life they are blessed with.

Unlike the buffoons on Islamweb and other sites, I have mental health illnesses, so I know that when I feel a certain way it is because of my illness not (as one fatwa says) because I have poor imaan or poor taqwa.

If you are suffering from poor mental health get help now because the waiting lists are huge, get help now, don't see yourself as some God forsaken person that has the devil whispering in your ear, Allah will never turn away from you so long as you have full trust and belief in Him. Mental health is so poorly understood by Sunnis because of fatwas and opinions like what I mentioned and the reason why the mentally ill are still, to this day, shunned from communities.