Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

We Shias can see Imam Mahdi (AS)?

Rate this topic

I’ve heard from a few people that we, as Shias, see Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) however, we aren’t able to recognize him. Is this true? Or is it a made-up story? 

Sometimes I wonder if I have ever met or seen Imam Mahdi (عجّلالله تعالى فرجه الشريف) .

Four years ago I prayed in a Sunni mosque where people had problems with me praying as a Shia. One day a handsome pious looking young man with milky skin and youthful features came and started praying next to me. Surprisingly he was also praying on a clay. He chose to pray next to me. I felt embarrassed with humility of a good kind. So I realized he was a Shia too. After my prayers I started doing my tasbeeh. I took a long time. By the time I finished and looked next to me he was gone. I felt like he was happy to see me praying. I sometimes wonder if he was Imam Mahdi (عجّلالله تعالى فرجه الشريف) 

Edited by Murtaza1
  • Veteran Member

There are, I believe, some Hadith that say that when the Imam reappears, people will see him and say, "Oh, we saw this man before (e.g. during Hajj, which the Imam attends every year). Thus, some of us may have seen him, but not recognised who he is. Though, as far as I know, these narrations don't specify if only the Shi'a will make such a claim, or if any Muslim who attends Hajj might have seen him. I think this is what you're referring to.

On the other hand, there are, of course reports of famous scholars and pious people allegedly meeting the Imam. The difference here is that these people would also be aware of who they're meeting so it's a different case than above.

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra
  • Advanced Member
On 3/27/2019 at 3:47 PM, Islandsandmirrors said:

I’ve heard from a few people that we, as Shias, see Imam Mahdi (عليه السلام) however, we aren’t able to recognize him. Is this true? Or is it a made-up story? 

The Occultation is one of our most mysterious but also exciting of Shia mysteries. There are kind of two sides of the coin to your question. On the Exoteric level, he does seem to be here in some form but until his decreed time comes, he isn't "known". On the Esoteric level, his presence seems to be felt by many and I've heard of many seeing visions and having dreams about him, the spirit of the Mahdi can be felt by some. 

But in the present time, it seems that the Dajjal is bursting through the water pipes, very high pressure. 

When the Mahdi eventually comes and reveals himself, quite a lot of people will recognize him but that isn't to say that all Muslims will.

• Advanced Member
On 3/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

Assalaamuleykum,

Yes, it's true. I am quoting you hadeeth from our brother Qaim's Book (The Rise of the Qa'im)

Muhammad b. Musa b. al-Mutawakkil رضي الله عنه narrated to us. He said: ‘Abdullah b. Ja‘far al-Himyari narrated to us from Muhammad b. ‘Uthman al-‘Amri .رضي الله عنه
He said: I heard him say: By Allah, the Master of this Order shall perform the Hajj rituals every year, so he will see the people and recognize them, and they shall
see him but not recognize him. (Kamal ad-Deen, Volume 2, Those Who Saw Imam al-Qa’im, hadith #8) (sahih)( (صحيح

We do have hadeeth, which says Imam does meet his special supporters during in his major occultation.

Muhammad b. Yahya from Muhammad b. al-Husayn from Ibn Mahbub from Is‘haq b. ‘Ammar. He said: I heard Abu ‘Abdillah (عليه السلام) say:

The Qa’im has two occultations (ghaybataan): the first will be short, and the second will be long. In the first occultation, no one will know his whereabouts except his devoted Shi‘a, and in the other (occultation) no one will know his whereabouts except his special supporters (khasat mawali).

(al-Kafi, Volume 1, Book 4, The Occultation, hadith#19) (muwathaq)( (موثق

Note: The devoted Shi‘a were the trustees and the companions of the Mahdi during his minor occultation. The identity of his special supporters during the major occultation is unknown. al-Majlisi puts forward three possibilities: they are either a family, a security force, or the three hundred and thirteen companions that he will rise with.

• Advanced Member
On 3/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, Islandsandmirrors said:

Grandmother of my father saw Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) few seconds before her death.
She was with my father when suddenly she started saying salam ya Rasool Allah and said to my father "babu salam karo dekho Rasool Allah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) aaye hain"(babu say salam to Rasool (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) see he is standing there). My father did not see anyone and seconds after she died.

Edited by Shams of tabriz