Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ruqaya101

Discrepancies of men and women

Rate this topic

In a recent thread, the derailment of one topic brought up a light to do with the discrepancies men and women, in both roles and responsibilities as well as character traits of men and women.

My opinion, is why make a big deal and debate, why not recognise and accept, why not follow the roles of women of Ahlul Bayt, both with husbands and independently. They are our role models. 

Men (not all) seem to portray a disliking to the fact that women aren't always submissive. Why make everything so complicated? Just follow the examples of the Imams in the way they treated women.

The sayedas recognised their self worth as women. Why don't you?

Islam assigns the role of Head of the Household to men. As such, all that a married man earns, he owes to his household. Men and women both are required to be comfort and security to each other. That is the extent of Islamically assigned gender roles, nothing more. All other assignments are either cultural, or have arisen out of convenience. 

Imam Ali wrote a letter about how to be a leader. Everyone should read it. 

11 hours ago, Bakir said:

Because we live in the 21th century.

The 21st century argument, though extremely common, is not sound.

Simply because something is prevalent in the 21st century wouldn't make that thing correct or good. Some things were done better in the past.

When one is walking in the wrong direction, it would be more appropriate to walk backwards than forwards; or at least, to stop and reflect. 

Edited by SirajDin

11 hours ago, Bakir said:

Because we live in the 21th century.

Islam is relevant in any era, time, or place.

5 hours ago, Laayla said:

Islam is relevant in any era, time, or place.

Always relevant, as it's based on universal concepts.

Still, when I refer to the 21th century, I'm talking about customs and social configurations.

Islam is made up of a huge collection of books and opinions, yet this doesn't explain the whole world and its contents. It is far from doing so, and when we discuss real tangible issues and problems that make people suffer, solutions are not black and white nor easy, nor universal nor out of the influence of current society and economy.

@SirajDin this is the reason why I posted that, not to insult people as if they had a backward mentality.

On 3/26/2019 at 11:54 PM, Bakir said:

Still, when I refer to the 21th century, I'm talking about customs and social configurations.

Islam is made up of a huge collection of books and opinions, yet this doesn't explain the whole world and its contents. It is far from doing so, and when we discuss real tangible issues and problems that make people suffer, solutions are not black and white nor easy, nor universal nor out of the influence of current society and economy.

@SirajDin this is the reason why I posted that, not to insult people as if they had a backward mentality.

Alhamd'Allah you feel that way brother Baqir.  I learn from the best role models we have in this religion, Rasoul Allah and his progeny.  People should go into marriage having respect and love for one another.  I realize some sisters have bad experiences of marriage maybe from their own parents, or they are divorced.  In every action we take there should be an intention.  If I'm going to go in the marriage thinking that I will definitely dominate this relationship and my word is going to prevail over my husband, this is a recipe for divorce, unless she marries an effete man who wants to be ordered around.

If our sisters want to mention the names of Sayyida Fatima and Sayyida Zaynab, they need to learn from them authentically.  How many sisters know what Amir al Mo2mineen said in regards to what is the jihad of the women?

Imam Ali’s (P) states:

جهاد المراة حسن التبعل

“A woman’s jihad (as a wife) is having good behavior towards the husband1”.

What did Amir al Mo2mineen say about Sayyida Fatimah az Zahra 3laha salam?

The Chief of the Faithful was asked about his 9-year marital life with Her Eminence Fatimah (P). Ali (P) stated:

والله ما اغضبتها و لا اكرهتها علي امراً

"I call God to witness that I never made Fatimah (P) angry in any circumstances and never forced her to do something and there was no instance that Fatimah (P) made me angry and did not show disobedience in any matter.”

ولا اغضبتني و لا عصت لي امراً

"After any unhappiness, when I looked at Fatimah’s (P) face, I was relieved of the sorrow and sadness

«لقد كنت انظر اليها فيكشف عني الهموم و الاحزان

Therefore, a husband must never make his wife angry. Most of family troubles are related to those things imposed on one another. His Holiness states:

"I neither forced Fatimah (P) to do something nor made her angry and she never disobeys me at all.”

https://www.al-Islam.org/articles/womans-dignity-words-amir-ul-muminin-Ali-ibn-abi-talib-Abbas-Ali-shameli#f_cd28e104_1

Let us learn from Sayyida Fatima 3laha salam how to be good God fearing wives.  

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

19 hours ago, Bakir said:

I agree. There are principles in Islam which are constant and unchanging; and there are details which would depend on the 'urf and adat (customs & habits) and can change from time to time and place to place; but what is the particular issue we are discussing here?

5 hours ago, SirajDin said:

I agree. There are principles in Islam which are constant and unchanging; and there are details which would depend on the 'urf and adat (customs & habits) and can change from time to time and place to place; but what is the particular issue we are discussing here?

They shall not be separated, because most Muslims don't separate them (sometimes unjustly). This requires a whole topic by itself I would like to start.

4 hours ago, Bakir said:

They shall not be separated, because most Muslims don't separate them (sometimes unjustly). This requires a whole topic by itself I would like to start.

I didn’t get you. What should not be separated?

Customs and Islam are commonly linked together, and it is more practical to discuss them both. Refer to the new topic I created precisely addressing this issue, and the reasons of the approach I defend (which tries to be, ultimately, for the well being and continuation of Islam in future generations).

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Brother Baqir,

Imam Hussain 3la salam saved Islam.   We will always have a living Imam who will safeguard this beautiful religion.  If the Muslim-born youth are leaving, at the same time, many others are joining Deen al Haq.  We do not teach Allah how we want to practice His religion. We ask Him everyday atleast 10 times, "guide us to the straight path."  Do we reflect on that during salat?  Do we know what we are saying in salat?  Or are we just parrots?

Just one example.

From producer Josh Seftel comes this story of Richard McKinney, a former U.S. Marine who plotted to blow up an Islamic Center in Muncie, Ind., and through an unusual turn of events ended up in a place that is utterly surprising - and hopeful.

Being Muslim in America

I'm very sorry about the gay reference here, I'm just sharing this video because there are Muslims, who are embarrassed to identify themselves as such in America.  God bless our sisters and give them strength and patience who observe Hijab.  They are the flag brearers of the religion as Hajj Hassanain Rajabali frequently states.  Your reward is with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Reza Aslan, a scholar of religions, shares why he believes we need more positive portrayals of Muslims in pop culture. This is from a series of short films called The Secret Life of Muslims, created by filmmaker Joshua Seftel.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Edited by Laayla