Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Yasehsan

Single mother reverting to Shia Islam

Rate this topic

Hi all, 

I posted on this site when I was pregnant with my son last year for advice.

I fell pregnant to a Shia Muslim man and he decided he wanted nothing to do with me or his son because of his family circumstances (hes not married). His reasons for not wanting to see his son are because he did not want a child and his family would disown him if they found out. He also stated he did not want to be with me (after a 3 year relationship) which was all one sided and kept secret from his family.

I posted on this site asking advice on whether to tell his parents or not. I decided not to tell his parents as I did not want him to be left without a home. I tried everything in my power to have him in my sons life. However, his decision was final.

I accepted the fact that he did not want anything to do with us. He helps finanically and I appreciate this more than anyone will ever know.

I finally reached out to his sister when my son was 7 weeks old. To my surprise she wanted to see us both and have a relationship with my son. She confirmed that his mother and father (father more so) would not allow their son back into their lives if they found out about me and my son. I finally told my sons father that I reached out to his sister and he is fine with that. However, he still does not want anything to do with my son.

Sorry for the long post! I thought I would just give a little background information about my situation.

I have thought about converting to Islam for a long time now. I have family who are Muslim who I do not have a relationship with due to personal family reasons and have always wondered about what my life would be like if I did see them and I was brought up in Islam.

I would like to know more about Shia Islam and read books before I make my decision. So I guess I am looking for books, websites and any one in my area - London, who could kindly help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you 

24 minutes ago, Yasehsan said:

I would like to know more about Shia Islam and read books before I make my decision. So I guess I am looking for books, websites and any one in my area - London, who could kindly help.

Al-Islam.org is a treasure trove of digital books. I recommend you start with their "in a nutshell" documents for basics, and work from there. 

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Sister Yasehsan, welcome to ShiaChat!  It's good to see you return to the mb.

What are you interested in Sister?  Do you want to learn more about the Imams?  The last Messenger of God?  Do you want to learn about our creed?  Is there a particular area you want to look at?

We are here to help answer any of your questions!  

Congratulations on the birth of your son.  I hope you will have a great support system in helping you raise your son.  Have you found a local masjid in your area?

https://themuslimvibe.com/faith-Islam/in-practice/9-misconceptions-about-Shia-Muslims-that-need-to-stop

http://www.islamicinsights.com/

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

7 hours ago, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Sister Yasehsan, welcome to ShiaChat!  It's good to see you return to the mb.

What are you interested in Sister?  Do you want to learn more about the Imams?  The last Messenger of God?  Do you want to learn about our creed?  Is there a particular area you want to look at?

We are here to help answer any of your questions!  

Congratulations on the birth of your son.  I hope you will have a great support system in helping you raise your son.  Have you found a local masjid in your area?

https://themuslimvibe.com/faith-Islam/in-practice/9-misconceptions-about-Shia-Muslims-that-need-to-stop

http://www.islamicinsights.com/

Hi,

Thank you so much.

I just wonder what is different in terms of practicing Shia Islam from Sunni? especially for a revert. I know that we follow the teachings of the Ahl al-Bayt. I do read some things but it's nice to have reliable sources. 

I took part in Ramadan in 2017 for the first time and it was such a spiritual and special time for me. I was supported by a good friend.

I don’t have any friends who are Shia apart from my sons aunt. However,  I would never be able to attend mosque with her as I don’t think that it is right to be around his family when they don’t know who I am. It's a very close community so I guess that would never be an option. I can find other mosques in the area though. I guess its tricky. I want to read a lot more than I already have so the recommendations are appreciated!

I also would like to get to know other Shia reverts who live near me. I'm not sure how I find this out? 

My family (who have brought me up) are not Muslim and don’t really agree with my decision to accept Islam into mine and my sons life so it does feel like I'm alone at the moment.

My name is (edit) and my sons name is (edit)! 

Thank you 

Edited by Hameedeh
Please do not post personal info that can identify you or your family.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Sister Yasehsan,

Mash'Allah a beautiful name and your son's name as well.  May he grow up to be a righteous God fearing son. 

Sister, I would enter the masjid.  This is the house of God, not the house of your son's grandparents.  You don't have to cross paths with them.  You have every right to attend, participate in duas or prayer.  You are searching for truth, don't allow people to prevent you from reaching truth!  Do what you need to do to find answers.  Don't share your private life with people, because unfortunately the information you give will be shared with other members of the congregation.  That's what happens to any community.

We used to have an active sister from Britain, her name is @zainabamy  

This is her story.

I hope if she has time, she will contact you and help you find out local centers in London, if you decide you don't want to attend the one you have in mind.

We have many members from Britain, if they read your thread, perhaps they can direct you to places or people who can help.

Thank you again for joining our community.  God bless you and protect you and baby (edit) from all harm.

Edited by Hameedeh
Name of baby was removed. Please do not post personal info that would identify you or others.

@Yasehsan Please do not post your name or the name of your baby. For your own protection of anonymity.