Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ibn Al-Shahid

Masjids are Christian designs

Rate this topic

Wassalaam

Architecture is architecture - there is no criteria written in stone how a Masjid should be. Equally we could otherwise moan about carpets since Masajid used to have stone/Earth floors and people prayed with their shoes on as per the Sunnah. Or perhaps we should not wear Western style clothing though we live here etc... None of this makes a difference

43 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

السلام عليكم

Why should we continue to build masjids like what we currently have when the whole design idea was taken from Christian architecture? Everything from the arches to the dome is has Christian reasoning/design/philosophy.

Al Masjid an-Nawabi looks nothing like a church.

th?id=OIP.7VBRL6IpXqotbtGVq0t18wHaEk&pid

Lhasa Great Masjid looks nothing like a church:

1200px-Mosques_in_Lhasa.jpg

Masjid Huaisheng looks nothing like a church: 

masjid+Huaisheng,+China.jpg

Masjid Qiblatain in Somalia looks nothing like a church: 

6436474841_108db5e1c8_z.jpg

What is your point, brother? 

10 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

السلام عليكم

Why should we continue to build masjids like what we currently have when the whole design idea was taken from Christian architecture? Everything from the arches to the dome is has Christian reasoning/design/philosophy.

So is Christianity and Judaism not from God?  Is not Islam part of the Abrahamic Line of Religions?  Or have we Muslims forgotten this?

10 hours ago, Ar.alhindi said:

Wassalaam

Architecture is architecture - there is no criteria written in stone how a Masjid should be. Equally we could otherwise moan about carpets since Masajid used to have stone/Earth floors and people prayed with their shoes on as per the Sunnah. Or perhaps we should not wear Western style clothing though we live here etc... None of this makes a difference

Western clothing isn’t based on theology. Religious architecture is.

10 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Domed structures predate Byzantine use. 

Yes, by the pagans for their gods.

38 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

So is Christianity and Judaism not from God?  Is not Islam part of the Abrahamic Line of Religions?  Or have we Muslims forgotten this?

Their architecture is based on things we don’t believe in: crucifixion, trinity, roman political architecture, etc. My point isn’t to isolate ourselves from the Abrahamic religions, but to give out religion its own artistic practices based on our philosophy.

@Gaius I. Caesar, Your first example looks like a blocky basilican plan with towers like the Hagia Sofia. The others are based on cultural or religious forms (the japanese/chinese image resembles a temple) from different countries and not theological or philosophical Islamic design.

My issue is the lack of theological design philosophy.

I understand the power of appropriation. The Christians took over the basilican plan to show their triumph over the pagan gods and roman emperors, but then they added their own theological design to it (the cross basilican, carolingian, ottonian, etc.)

Edited by Ibn Al-Shahid

17 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Yes, by the pagans for their gods.

Their architecture is based on things we don’t believe in: crucifixion, trinity, roman political architecture, etc. My point isn’t to isolate ourselves from the Abrahamic religions, but to give out religion its own artistic practices based on our philosophy.

@Gaius I. Caesar, Your first example looks like a blocky basilican plan with towers like the Hagia Sofia. The others are based on cultural or religious forms (the japanese/chinese image resembles a temple) from different countries and not theological or philosophical Islamic design.

My issue is the lack of theological design philosophy.

I understand the power of appropriation. The Christians took over the basilican plan to show their triumph over the pagan gods and roman emperors, but then they added their own theological design to it (the cross basilican, carolingian, ottonian, etc.)

The dome symbolizes God as the center point and the hierarchical grades/ levels of creation as emanating and descending from God is the circumference of the dome.

What is unislamic about this?

The arches that run parallel and then merge together at a point symbolize the transcendence of human being (man must transcend his individuality/ego and connect with his spirit thereby realizing the divine.  

What is unislamic about this?  

Yes, we don’t use the cross even though that has a profound metaphysical symbolism, but the cross has strong associations with the crucifixion.   We don’t use iconic images which are more or less concrete in relation to what Islam replaced it with: namely: abstract sacred/ symmetrical geometry to emphasize transcendence rather than immanence.  The starting point of Islam is God’s transcendence, whole in Christianity Immanence of God is the starting point.  This difference is clearly reflected in Islamic Art vs Christian Art.  There is no clearer manifestation of Islam than in its art and architecture.  And the same applies to Christianity.  

7 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Clothing has theological restrictions which may or may not alter what people wear in the West, and how people wear clothes generally.

What theological basis is there for 'Islamic architecture' or building specifications? Like clothing, there are some restrictions e.g. not building structures and places of worship over graves, but what is there in the Qur'an or Hadith to say we must have X style arches, Y roof style, Z materials, and so on? 

1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

And before that?

you tell me, im trying to learn

6 minutes ago, Ar.alhindi said:

Clothing has theological restrictions which may or may not alter what people wear in the West, and how people wear clothes generally.

What theological basis is there for 'Islamic architecture' or building specifications? Like clothing, there are some restrictions e.g. not building structures and places of worship over graves, but what is there in the Qur'an or Hadith to say we must have X style arches, Y roof style, Z materials, and so on? 

Yes, that is correct, but your first post wasn’t. Thanks for clarifying.

@eThErEaL thank you brother, those are very good points

4 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Your first example looks like a blocky basilican plan with towers like the Hagia Sofia. The others are based on cultural or religious forms (the japanese/chinese image resembles a temple) from different countries and not theological or philosophical Islamic design

The problem with that statement is the first example was constructed during the the lifetime of the Prophet (sawas), at least a decade before his death. I'm sure was he (sawas) involved  with it's construction. Your statement reminds me of the old orientalist assertion that Islam is a mere offshoot of Christianity.  As for the Asian designs, I'm just pointing out that not all masjids look or follow a "Christian" look as you are saying.

16 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

My point isn’t to isolate ourselves from the Abrahamic religions, but to give out religion its own artistic practices based on our philosophy.

I get your point what design do you suggest?

I western Europe churches have spires people associate domes with mosques.

12er design mosques have Allah ontop if the dome instead of a cresent. Inside the done is usually the names of Allah.

It seems in line with our philosophy.