Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Can someone tell me Sayed Fadlallah's views on suicide caused from depression? And no, I'm not looking to speak to anyone. I just want a clearcut answer. The only thing I can find is a faulty Hadith. 

Suicide is haram, unless you’re mentally impaired/disabled to the point that you don’t realize what you’re doing. 

4 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Suicide is haram, unless you’re mentally impaired/disabled to the point that you don’t realize what you’re doing. 

To clarify: it is still Haram if they are mentally disabled, but it just is less blameworthy

I know you meant this but your wording couls be construed another way

14 hours ago, Ar.alhindi said:

To clarify: it is still Haram if they are mentally disabled, but it just is less blameworthy

I know you meant this but your wording couls be construed another way

Brother, if someone literally goes insane as in, has a complete break from reality (starts hearing and seeing things) or is mentally disabled and commits suicide, then that isn’t blameworthy. Suicide is haram to the vast majority because they are not mentally impaired to the point that they don’t understand their actions. 

6 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Brother, if someone literally goes insane as in, has a complete break from reality (starts hearing and seeing things) or is mentally disabled and commits suicide, then that isn’t blameworthy. Suicide is haram to the vast majority because they are not mentally impaired to the point that they don’t understand their actions. 

I know but I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying, sister. To say something is not Haram implies it is Halal I.e. you have permission by Allah to do it. A mentally ill person does not have permission to commit suicide but rather if they do commit suicide, then they are not blameworthy for having done it - does this nuanced difference make sense now? Like Allah will not necessarily punish them for doing the Haram action but that doesn't make it Halal.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:20 PM, los said:

Can someone tell me Sayed Fadlallah's views on suicide caused from depression? And no, I'm not looking to speak to anyone. I just want a clearcut answer. The only thing I can find is a faulty Hadith. 

Salam. I'm sorry that nobody replied to your Islamic jurisprudence question from the marja you requested.

On 3/23/2019 at 1:20 AM, los said:

It is a sin. In his book Fiqh al Hayat he discusses the topic of "mercy" killing deeply, deeming suicide itself as a sin without any further consideration. As for the issue of mercy killing, the cases he explores are people whose "lives" are dependant on machines, and even in many of these cases, it is not acceptable to kill the person out of mercy. In the book he also points out that "medical death" isn't an issue that is already dillucidated in Islamic Fiqh, thus it is an error in calculation to take it into consideration as if it was factual death. I'm saying this because it is an extreme case to take as an example. In his website you may find a longer text that is already translated (not sure if it has been directly translated from the book, though), but this is a good extract from it:

I cannot understand how could killing be merciful. Death is by its physical nature cruel, because it takes your life and turns you into a thing. It confiscates yours life and your existence. Therefore, you do not have the right to kill yourself, because suicide is a sin:

Nor kill (or destroy) yourselves” (4:29)

Source

It is important to keep in mind, though, that he did defend suicide bombings, though he preferred to call it "self sacrifice". He argued that the context of jihad allowed this, and it had nothing to do with suicide religiously speaking. In that sense, in the case of suicide, you are taking a life that is not yours islamically (essentially) speaking. However, through jihad, according to him, you are acting fee sabeel Allah.

I find this idea highly controversial  (there is a lot of studies and literature on this subject) from a philosophical standpoint, though. And we won't find either clear answers in original sources, as suicide bombing wasn't a thing in early Arabia. This has nothing to do with the thread, though.

Edited by Bakir