Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
islam25

Do celebration of Nourooz have religious backing?

Rate this topic

We know that Iran and regional Shia celebrate Nourooz  .And it seems that some Shia give it religious colour.

Is there any religious reason for celebrating it?

Or it is just cultural festival?

2 hours ago, islam25 said:

We know that Iran and regional Shia celebrate Nourooz  .And it seems that some Shia give it religious colour.

Is there any religious reason for celebrating it?

Or it is just cultural festival?

There are multiple reasons for celebrating or not celebrating.

As a "Holiday" itself it is a Persian/Zoroastrian holiday which celebrates the start of the new year/first day of Spring. So from that perspective it isn't an Islamic holiday.

However, its not that easy. If one looks back historically as to the events which took place on the first day of Spring, then there are several Islamic events which are worthy of commeration.

1. The first day of Spring is when the Angel Gabriel first appeared to the Holy Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) to inform him of his role as the Final Messenger.
  2. The Prophet Abraham (عليه السلام) smashed the idols in the city of Ur.
  3. The day that the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) cleansed the Kaaba of idols. The incident where Imam Ali (عليه السلام) stood on the Prophet's ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) shoulders to accomplish this.
  4. The day that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) became Caliph.

So based on this it is easy to see how the Persian/Zoroastrian holiday has been confused as being an Islamic holiday. However, one can not deny the significant Islamic historical events which took place on the first day of Spring. 

So should we celebrate Nauroz? Its a Persian holiday, so its the same as celebrating any other Cultural holiday as long as you remember what its origin is from a cultural standpoint.

However, if you wish to commerate the Islamic historical events that happened on the first day of Spring then go ahead. Just remember to seperate the commeration from the Zoroastrian celebration of the coming of Spring.

It’s confirmed by Imam Ali(عليه السلام) when some Iranians bring gifts to him in this day also Imam Sadiq advised some prayers & Duas for this celebration only Imam Kadhim (عليه السلام) rejected it when Abbasid caliph Mansur the Abbasid caliph  celebrated it in form pre Islamic time of Iran  with Zoroastrian rituals & said “I don’t find it in Islamic celebrations “ but all Imams defacto accepted it if it celebrated with Islamic rituals like as Visiting relatives & making your home & ourselves clean & don’t commit sins specially that start of this year Iranian new year matched with birthday of Imam Ali(عليه السلام) anyway congratulations to everyone start of Iranian new year & birthday of Imam Ali (a) inside Kaaba.

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Tahweel Time - 20 th  March 2019  Wednesday 21.58 GMT

Article :-Celebrating Nawroz,    |  Click here for Aamal according to 'Mafatihul Naween' of Ayatullah Nasir Makarim Shirazi   | Pdf

Note :In case the 'Tahweel time' is after Zohar in your area ,then these amal (except the recitation AT the time of Tahwel Image jpg) have to be performed on the Next day ie 21st March 

Addressing al-Mu`all¡ ibn Khunays, Imam al-¯¡diq (`a) said: On the Nawruz Day .. (1) Have a Ghusl   (2) Put on new or clean clothes and apply perfume. ,  (3) Keep fast &

(4) Recite a 4 Rak-a't salaat, ( 2X 2) after the Z'uhr and A'sr prayers, as under:-

-In the first Rak-a't after the recitation of Soorah Al Faatih'ah, recte Soorah Al Qadr X10 times.

-In the second Rak-a't, after the recitation of Soorah Al Faatih'ah, recite Soorah Al Kaafiroon X 10 times.

-In the third Rak-a't, after the recitation of Soorah Al-Faatih'ah, recite Soorah Al Ikhlaas X10 times.

-In the fourth Rak-a't, after the recitation of Soorah Al Faatih'ah, recite Soorah Al Falaq X10 times, and Soorah Al Naas X 10 times.

After the Salaam go into Sajdah and recite the following dua’a:

O Allah send Thy “the best” blessings on Muhammad and on his children, the chosen successors, and on all Thy Prophets and Messengers; also glorify them with Thy “the best” commendations; and in addition sanctify their bodies and souls. O Allah multiply Thy blessings send on Muhammad and on the children of Muhammad, and give us more and more in this day, which has been rendered superior, chosen for bestowing bounties, distinguished, and whose superabundant generosity is deemed very important. O Allah multiply Thy blessings for me in the bounties Thou bestows on me, through it, till I do not have to flatter any one else other than Thee, and add more and more to my means of livelihood, O the Owner of might and majesty! O Allah let it not be that what has been escaping me may also render Thy support and protection unavailable, and let it not be that which I have lost may also make me miss sorely Thy help, so that I may not take pains in the matter of that which I do not need, O Owner of might and majesty. 

nawroz01.gif

ALLAHUMMA S’ALLI A’LAA MUH’AMMADIN WA AALI MUH’AMMADINIL AWS’IYAAA-IL MARZ”IYEEN WA A’LAA JAMEE-I’AMBIYAAA-IKA WA RUSULIKA BI-AFZ”Ali S’ALAWAATIKA WA BAARIK A’LAYHIM BI-AFZ”Ali BARAKAATIKA WA S’ALLI A’LAA ARWAAH’IHIM WA AJSAADIHIM ALLAHUMMA BAARIK A’LAA MUH’AMMADIN WA AALI MUH’AMMAD WA BAARIK LANAA FEE YAWMINAA HAAD’ALLAD’EE FAZ”Z”ALTAHU WA SHARRAFTAHU WA A’Z’Z’AMTA KHAT’ARAHU ALLAAHUMMA BAARIK LEE FEEMAA AN-A’MTA BIHI A’LAYYA H’ATTAA LAA ASHKURA AH’ADAN GHAYRAKA WA WASSIA’-A’LAYYA FEE RIZQEE YAA D’AL JALAALI WAL IKRAAM ALLAAHUMMA MAA GHAABA A’NNEE FALAA YAGHEEBANNA A’NNEE A’WNUKA WA H’IFZ’UKA WA MAA FAQADTU MIN SHAY-IN FALAA TUFQIDNEE A’WNAKA A’LAYHI H’ATTAA LAA ATAKALLAFA MAA LAA AH’TAAJU ILAYHI YAA D’AL-JALAALI WAL IKRAM

http://www.duas.org/nawroz.htm

Celebrating Nowrooz, 
http://www.world-federation.org/Secretariat/Articles/Celebrating_Nowrooz_

The Muslim community is blessed with having multiple “new years” throughout the year, in which we have the opportunity to take account of our actions and make a change in our lives. These occasions include the beginning of the Islamic new year – the 1st of Muharram which signals the true Islamic new year (rather than 1st January); the Night of Qadr during the Month of Ramadhan which signifies the spiritual New Year in which the affairs of the entire following year are decreed and the third is Nawrooz – the ‘New Day’ - which signals the beginning of spring and a change in seasons – a time which should also reflect a change and a rebirth within our selves.

What do our scholars say about this day and its importance? Ayatullah al-Uzma Makarim Shirazi, in his recent publication, Mafaatih al-Naveen (an updated version of Mafaatih al-Jinaan of Shaykh Abbas Qummi), writes: “In regards to what Islam has to say about Eid-e-Nowrooz, we must state that amongst the scholars, this Eid is debated. Some of the traditions point to the importance of this day as one in which many nations were saved (from perils).”

He goes on to state that, “The Late Allamah Majlisi writes in Zad al-Ma‘aad that, “From a reliable chain of narrators from Mu‘alla ibne Janis it has been narrated that on the day of Nowrooz, he was blessed to be in the presence of Imam as-Sadiq (عليه السلام). The Imam asked, “Do you know the status of this day?” Mu‘alla replied, “May I be sacrificed for your sake! This is the day which the Iranians took as a great day. On this day, they send gifts to one another.” The Imam replied, “The act of holding this day in esteem and greatness is due to certain historical events which took place which I will now explain to you.” The Imam then mentioned the following events: Nowrooz is the day when Allah, the High, took the promise from the souls of all human beings (before their creation) to His oneness, that they would not associate partners with Him and that they would accept and believe in His Prophets and Imams; this is also the day when the flood during the time of Prophet Nuh (عليه السلام) subsided and the ark rested on the mountain of Joodi; Nowrooz is also the day when the Messenger of Allah destroyed the idols of the polytheists of the Quraish in the city of Makkah. This was also the day that Prophet Ibrahim destroyed the idols; also the day when the Messenger of Allah ordered his companions to pledge allegiance to Ali as the Commander of the Faithful (this is in reference to the Day of Ghadeer which took place on the Eid-e-Nowrooz); it is also the day when the Qa’im from Aale Muhammad (the 12th Imam) will make his advent…”

However, Ayatullah Makarim Shirazi cautions that, “Since Mu‘alla ibne Janis is an individual whom the scholars question (and thus this tradition as well falls under question), for this reason, it is not possible to rely on this tradition.” None the less, he states that this day has Islamic significance, which we need to ensure is marked in an Islamic fashion.  He concludes by stating that the Eid-e-Nowrooz is an Eid of nature in the world of creation; it is the day when winter ends and spring blossoms with its natural life by the command of Allah. It is the time when the leaves of the trees begin to sprout their buds and the flowers begin to bring forth their bulbs in preparation of their blooming; it is a time when a movement towards life takes hold of all of creation and thus we, the believers, should be in harmony with this event of the creation as this is equivalent to being in sync with the tradition (Sunnat) of Allah.

The believers need to ensure that they remove all actions which are ‘cultural’ or ‘traditional’ – even if practiced by Muslims, and to follow the dictates of the Prophet and the Imams. Thus, some of the recommend actions which we should perform on this day include: a ghusl for Eid; wearing clean clothes; applying perfume; fasting, praying the recommended Salat after Salaatul Asr and the various supplications which should be read on this day, some of which are found in Mafaatih al-Jinaan [The Prayer’s Almanac in English by PET] and Mafaatih al-Naveen.

11 hours ago, abdulhamid said:

We celebrated today in the masjid, with plenty of Ibadat. insha'Allah it will be a good year for everyone.

Wassalamu aleykum

My question was that, "is there any religious backing for celebration of Nourooz.

9 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Tahweel Time - 20 th  March 2019  Wednesday 21.58 GMT

Article :-Celebrating Nawroz,    |  Click here for Aamal according to 'Mafatihul Naween' of Ayatullah Nasir Makarim Shirazi   | Pdf

Note :In case the 'Tahweel time' is after Zohar in your area ,then these amal (except the recitation AT the time of Tahwel Image jpg) have to be performed on the Next day ie 21st March 

Addressing al-Mu`all¡ ibn Khunays, Imam al-¯¡diq (`a) said: On the Nawruz Day .. (1) Have a Ghusl   (2) Put on new or clean clothes and apply perfume. ,  (3) Keep fast &

(4) Recite a 4 Rak-a't salaat, ( 2X 2) after the Z'uhr and A'sr prayers, as under:-

-In the first Rak-a't after the recitation of Soorah Al Faatih'ah, recte Soorah Al Qadr X10 times.

-In the second Rak-a't, after the recitation of Soorah Al Faatih'ah, recite Soorah Al Kaafiroon X 10 times.

-In the third Rak-a't, after the recitation of Soorah Al-Faatih'ah, recite Soorah Al Ikhlaas X10 times.

-In the fourth Rak-a't, after the recitation of Soorah Al Faatih'ah, recite Soorah Al Falaq X10 times, and Soorah Al Naas X 10 times.

After the Salaam go into Sajdah and recite the following dua’a:

O Allah send Thy “the best” blessings on Muhammad and on his children, the chosen successors, and on all Thy Prophets and Messengers; also glorify them with Thy “the best” commendations; and in addition sanctify their bodies and souls. O Allah multiply Thy blessings send on Muhammad and on the children of Muhammad, and give us more and more in this day, which has been rendered superior, chosen for bestowing bounties, distinguished, and whose superabundant generosity is deemed very important. O Allah multiply Thy blessings for me in the bounties Thou bestows on me, through it, till I do not have to flatter any one else other than Thee, and add more and more to my means of livelihood, O the Owner of might and majesty! O Allah let it not be that what has been escaping me may also render Thy support and protection unavailable, and let it not be that which I have lost may also make me miss sorely Thy help, so that I may not take pains in the matter of that which I do not need, O Owner of might and majesty. 

nawroz01.gif

ALLAHUMMA S’ALLI A’LAA MUH’AMMADIN WA AALI MUH’AMMADINIL AWS’IYAAA-IL MARZ”IYEEN WA A’LAA JAMEE-I’AMBIYAAA-IKA WA RUSULIKA BI-AFZ”Ali S’ALAWAATIKA WA BAARIK A’LAYHIM BI-AFZ”Ali BARAKAATIKA WA S’ALLI A’LAA ARWAAH’IHIM WA AJSAADIHIM ALLAHUMMA BAARIK A’LAA MUH’AMMADIN WA AALI MUH’AMMAD WA BAARIK LANAA FEE YAWMINAA HAAD’ALLAD’EE FAZ”Z”ALTAHU WA SHARRAFTAHU WA A’Z’Z’AMTA KHAT’ARAHU ALLAAHUMMA BAARIK LEE FEEMAA AN-A’MTA BIHI A’LAYYA H’ATTAA LAA ASHKURA AH’ADAN GHAYRAKA WA WASSIA’-A’LAYYA FEE RIZQEE YAA D’AL JALAALI WAL IKRAAM ALLAAHUMMA MAA GHAABA A’NNEE FALAA YAGHEEBANNA A’NNEE A’WNUKA WA H’IFZ’UKA WA MAA FAQADTU MIN SHAY-IN FALAA TUFQIDNEE A’WNAKA A’LAYHI H’ATTAA LAA ATAKALLAFA MAA LAA AH’TAAJU ILAYHI YAA D’AL-JALAALI WAL IKRAM

Do you perform this @Ashvazdanghe?

There are only a small number of hadith on Nawrooz. And even in this small number there hadith for and against its celebration.

Also think about it logically Nawrooz is based on the solar calendar it always occurs in March. It can conicide with any Islamic date. Can we celebrate it if it is on 10th Muharram ?

Diwali historically may have conicided with a good day on the Islamic calender. Does that mean we can celebrate Diwali every year ?

Edited by Warilla

12 hours ago, Warilla said:

Diwali historically may have conicided with a good day on the Islamic calender. Does that mean we can celebrate Diwali every year ?

Anyway Nawrooz based on religion of people of book & has some verification from hadith like as Christmas that for celebration of Prophet Isa (عليه السلام) verified by hadith but there Christmas infected with paganism & its time changed from its true  time but Nawrooz day  remained intact before also Diwali is completely based on paganism & not verified by any hadith at the end its not mandatory to celebrate it & during safavid era 10th of Muharram matched with start of Nawrooz so Shah Abbas orders to people that they mourn from morning to after noon than from afternoon orderd to people to celebrate Nawrooz that accepted by all great Shia scholars of his time also we had same situation few years ago & all Iranian Shia do the same & it accepted by all Shia mark as of Iran like as Imam Khamenei.

29 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

1)Anyway Nawrooz based on religion of people of book

2)Nawrooz that accepted by all great Shia scholars of his time also we had same situation few years ago & all Iranian Shia do the same & it accepted by all Shia mark as of Iran like as Imam Khamenei.

1)Nawrooz predates is 3000 years old (Wikipedia) also has zoarastrian roots

2) Fine you can celebrate it as a cultural new year. But it's not an Islamic celebration unless the Prophet authorised it.

34 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

during safavid era 10th of Muharram matched with start of Nawrooz so Shah Abbas orders to people that they mourn from morning to after noon than from afternoon orderd to people to celebrate Nawrooz .

I'm lost for words...........

1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

during safavid era 10th of Muharram matched with start of Nawrooz so Shah Abbas orders to people that they mourn from morning to after noon than from afternoon orderd to people to celebrate Nawrooz

So you're saying that people were celebrating Nowroz at the time of Sham e Gharibaan ?

Are you speaking of just Zororastrians celebrating, or Shi'a also ?

I have heard something in the lines of that theres a hadith that says that dajjal(la) will be killed on the day of nowrooz. Has anyone heard of this before/have sources?

Actually, I found this while googling just now from the offical site of ayatollah Khamenei:

http://english.Khamenei.ir/news/5548/Nowruz-is-the-day-when-Dajjal-will-be-killed-by-Imam-Mahdi-Ayatollah

By the way, nowrooz is not just any day. Astronomically, its the day of March equinox, which means that the Earth is leaning equally towards the sun. Otherwise it is either leaning more on the "lower" half of the plant or the "upper" half. Which makes it either summer or winter depending on which half you live at.

equinox_solstice_610-e1489436749737.jpg

14 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

So you're saying that people were celebrating Nowroz at the time of Sham e Gharibaan ?

Are you speaking of just Zororastrians celebrating, or Shi'a also ?

It talk about Shias too & It was between afternoon & midnight that celebrating was shorter than ever  with simple congratulations with lesser joy with respect to muharam month also Sham e Gharibaan is more cultura with lesser imprtance from noon of Ashura & we are not sure that  shaam Ghariban happened  that night or some days after it but its more popular that it helds at night of Ashura &people kept respect of it 

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

16 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

I have heard something in the lines of that theres a hadith that says that dajjal(la) will be killed on the day of nowrooz. Has anyone heard of this before/have sources?

Actually, I found this while googling just now from the offical site of ayatollah Khamenei:

http://english.Khamenei.ir/news/5548/Nowruz-is-the-day-when-Dajjal-will-be-killed-by-Imam-Mahdi-Ayatollah

By the way, nowrooz is not just any day. Astronomically, its the day of March equinox, which means that the Earth is leaning equally towards the sun. Otherwise it is either leaning more on the "lower" half of the plant or the "upper" half. Which makes it either summer or winter depending on which half you live at.

equinox_solstice_610-e1489436749737.jpg

I hear about that also sometimes before Islam nawrooz sometimes was helding at autumn euinox but spring equinox was more popular that after advent of Islam during from time of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) it always held at spring equinox