Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
SeekingHeaven

Selling haram foods to Muslims

Rate this topic

Salam, I work at a convenience store owned by a non practicing Muslim and we get a lot of Muslim customers and some of the candy sold in the store that contains pork or other animal derived gelatin or just non halal items are sometimes bought by these Muslims ( some are kids just not knowing the difference and some might be adults that are just ignorant or some simply don’t care), my question is as I’m checking them out as a cashier am I obligated to inform them if I know that a certain food item contains non halal ingredients? (Also please keep in mind that sometimes this is happening when we are busy and there is a line and is sometimes awkward)

Walaikum a salam,

Its very sad our brothers and sisters end up consuming these foods innocently. May Allah forgive us all and keep us safe. I don't trust anyone. There are many in the United Kingdom that wear the Muslim brand name just to sell their products. A Indian food take away shop in the United Kingdom seemed to mislead me to eat chicken by telling me it was prawns and were unapologetic about it. They say their food is halal but I don't trust them. I am a vegetarian anyway.  I realise I should never have eaten their food in the first place because they cook the food and I don't even know if they are Muslim for sure. I don't buy take away food anymore.

Edited by Murtaza1

6 hours ago, SeekingHeaven said:

my question is as I’m checking them out as a cashier am I obligated to inform them if I know that a certain food item contains non halal ingredients? (Also please keep in mind that sometimes this is happening when we are busy and there is a line and is sometimes awkward)

Salam , I think it's better that it's better that you talk with the owner of shop to separate halal from Haram ones & if it possible for you inform costumers about it but for busy times if you separate these two you can inform costumers.

5 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

I am a vegetarian anyway.  I realise I should never have eaten their food in the first place because they cook the food and I don't even know if they are Muslim for sure. I don't buy take away food anymore.

Salam anyway you must eat halal meat evey forty days that it's possible that you can find a trustable source for this forty days periods.

3 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam , I think it's better that it's better that you talk with the owner of shop

What if owner gets angry :o

13 minutes ago, Ejaz said:

What if owner gets angry :o

if owner becomes angry he must do it or leave the job to another place that owner allows him this act , if he was ignorant about ingredients so he could say I don't know or don't care about it but because he knows it must informs costumers about Halal & Haram or must leaves his job to another place that owner of shop allows it. 

1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam anyway you must eat halal meat evey forty days that it's possible that you can find a trustable source for this forty days periods.

Walaikum a salam,

Jazakalah for the advice. I didn't know that it was an obligation for us to eat meat for 40 days in Islam. 

There are halal farms in the United Kingdom run by converts that have strong faith. I trust them fairly well. I am now  considering getting their meat. I'll look into it. 

Edited by Murtaza1

48 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

Walaikum a salam,

Jazakalah for the advice. I didn't know that it was an obligation for us to eat meat for 40 days in Islam. 

There are halal farms in the United Kingdom run by converts that have strong faith. I trust them fairly well. I am now  considering getting their meat. I'll look into it. 

There is plenty of legit halal meat in the United Kingdom, please let me know if you have trouble finding it, depending on where you live. (private message if you prefer).

5 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

This might just be a wording issue on your part but just in case I'm going to clarify, the obligation is to eat meat at least ONCE in 40 DAYS...

13 hours ago, SeekingHeaven said:

my question is as I’m checking them out as a cashier am I obligated to inform them if I know that a certain food item contains non halal ingredients?

Its your duty to inform them as to what is in that food. If they still choose to buy it, then that is their choice,

13 hours ago, SeekingHeaven said:

Also please keep in mind that sometimes this is happening when we are busy and there is a line and is sometimes awkward

You would be fulfilling your duty as informing your fellow Muslims of the contents. You don't need to do anything more than that. It just takes a minute to tell them. Most Non-Muslims know we don't eat pork.

However, this does raise the question of how do you identify who is Muslim and who isn't? If you have a clean shaven man in front of you or a woman without a hijab, how will you tell ?

Edited by Akbar673

9 minutes ago, AStruggler said:

the obligation is to eat meat at least ONCE in 40 DAYS...

Sorry I meant to say the same. I didn't mean that we should be eating meat everyday. Jazakalah 

4 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

@abdulhamid jazakalah brother. The issue I have is the controversy surrounding non halal meat being sold mixed with halal food. This meat they say is cheaply imported. 

Well, I know a friendly old dude who murders his own chickens in his back garden. But I guess I am more trusting. If it says "halal", I take refuge with the Lord and go for it.