In the Name of God بسم الله

Questions of the Grave

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

As far as I understand we will all be asked:

Who is your Lord? 

What is your religion?

Who this person is? (In reference to Rasool Allah sa)

So in light of these, how imperative is it to recognise the Wilayah of Imam Ali as and the succeeding Imams? 

Will we also be asked these in the grave?

I understand the importance of knowing the Imam of our time, but is there anything different from Sunnis in regards to these questions of the grave? If not, couldn't someone argue the rest is not essential to enter paradise?

15 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

all the sahabah were one and united in love and out of love for the Prophet (S) and they respected each other immensely. 

Salamun Alaikum Brother!!

Isn't it an exaggeration?  The history books have their words saved which includes doubts, envy, hatred, anger, disrespect, fighting among themselves and even with the Prophet in his life time. 
The word "Yahjur" was used for Prophet (S) by a revered personality.
The delaying of Jesh-e-Usama and raising objections on selecting Usama as commander.
The envy of ummul mo'mineens with other ummul momineens. There were many stories in history books.
I can quote 1000's of cases. 

I however respect your overall post excluding this slight exaggeration :) 

• Veteran Member

The messenger of God (s) said: "Indeed when the servant enters his/her grave, the two angels-Nakir and Munkar-will go to him/her. Then, the first question they ask is about their God and next about their Prophet and then their wali (guardian). So if he/she answers they will be safe and if not the two angels will punishment them. Kashf al-Mahajja, p. 273.

Imam Musa Kazim (عليه السلام) has narrated from his father, Imam Ja’far Sadiq (عليه السلام), that he said:

“When a believer dies, seventy thousand angels participate in his funeral; when he enters the grave, Munkir and Nakeer come to him and pose questions to him; they ask him: ‘Who is your God? What is your religion? And who is your Prophet?’ The believer replies: ‘My Lord is Allah, my Prophet is Muhammad, and my religion is Islam.’ At that moment the grave is expanded as far as the eye can see and the foods of Paradise will be brought there for him and the breeze of Paradise will welcome him. It is this, which is mentioned in the Holy Qur'an:

فَأَمَّآ إِن كَانَ مِنَ الْمُقَرَّبِينَ * فَرَوْحٌ وَرَيْحَانٌ وَجَنَّتُ نَعِيمٍ‏

If he is one of those drawn nigh (to Allah), then happiness and bounty and a garden of bliss (shall be his). (56:88-89)

…that is in the grave and Paradise of bliss, that is in the hereafter.”

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) said:

“When the corpse is interred, two angels, named Munkir and Nakeer arrive. Their first questions to the dead are about God, Prophet and caliphs. If it replies correctly, it is given salvation and if it is unable to reply correctly, they punish it.”

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

• Forum Administrators

Death is serious; not a laughing matter. Off-topic memes have been and will be removed. 

[Mod Note: This thread is not about Buddha.]

@eThErEaL @Murtaza1 @Akbar673 @Shams of tabriz @Shia farm girl Posts about Buddha have been moved here:

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235061448-buddha-and-Islam/

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note and Link

• Veteran Member
On 3/13/2019 at 3:31 AM, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

So back to the topic - any Shia narrations with sources on the questions of the grave?

Well, I found this online regarding what happened at the funeral of Fatima Bint Asad, the mother of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) and the wife of Abu Talib that raised the Holy Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) with more love and affection towards him than she showed even to her own children...

https://www.duas.org/fatimabintasad.htm

When Fatima Bint Asad (wife of Hazrat Abu Talib and mother of Imam Ali (AS)) died,(23rd Safar as per a tradition) the Holy Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) was very much grieved.

Anas bin Malik says that when the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) got news of the death of Fatimah bint Asad, he immediately went to her house, sat beside her and prayed for her.

He gave his shirt to be used as part of her shroud, saying he prayed to Allah to forgive her and give her the dress of Paradise.

When the grave was prepared the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) himself examined it and with his own hands placed her into the grave.

Thus She was one of the few blessed people in whose graves the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) himself examined. 

Verily, the Messenger of Allah gave Kafan (shroud) to Fatima Bint Asad (mother of the leader of the Faithful) in his own robe, when the women finished washing her, he ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) carried her bier on his shoulder, and he remained under her bier till he bought it to her grave.

Then the Holy Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) put her bier near the grave, and entered the grave and lay in it. Then he stood up and took the body in his hands and laid it into the grave.  Then he put his face near hers whispering to her for a long time, telling her "your son, your son".  Then he came out, filled the grave and shaped it properly.  Then he inclined towards the grave, and people heard him ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) saying:   'There is no God but Allah.  O Allah, I am giving her to thee in trust' . 
 Then he returned. 
 The Muslims said:  'O Messenger of Allah, today we have seen you doing such things as you had never done before!' 
 The Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) said: 
 "Today I lost the righteousness of Abu Talib "Verily, she was so (kind to me) that whenever she had any good thing, she gave it to me, instead of using it for herself or for her own children.  And I said once that on the Day of Judgment people would be assembled naked.  She said:  "Oh, the shame!"  Therefore, I assured her that Allah would resurrect her with clothes.  And I described the squeeze of the grave, and she said:  "Oh, the weakness!"  So, I guaranteed to her Allah would save her from it.  It was for this reason that I gave her shroud from my own robe, and I lay down in her grave.  And I knelt near her to teach her (the answers of) what she was being asked.  And verily, she was asked about her Lord; and she said, "Allah is my Lord"; and about her Prophet, and she answered,  "Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم))".  Then she was asked about her Wali and Imam, and she perplexed and hesitated a little; so I told her "Your son, your son".  And she replied, "My child is my Imam".  Then the two angels went away and said, "We have no authority upon you, sleep as a bride sleeps (with no worry at all)."  Then she died again (I.e., her soul was taken out of her body again.)"

so based on this we can infer that in the grave we will be asked...

1. Who is our God ?
  2. Who is our Prophet?
  3. Who is our Imam?

I've also heard that we will also be asked...

1. What is your book? (I'm assuming this question was not asked of her at that time due to the Qur'an not having been completely revealed perhaps?)

Now, this does raise a question however as to what we should answer for #3? Do we answer Imam Ali ibn Abu Talib (عليه السلام) or do we answer Imam Muhammad ibn Hasan (عليه السلام) ? I would think the answer would be Imam Muhammad ibn Hasan (عليه السلام) as he is the Imam of our time but I'm not 100% on that as opposed to the answer being Imam Ali ibn Abu Talib (عليه السلام).

Also, I would like to think that the answer given should be their full name as a sign of honorific respect to their position and station. Again, just my opinion.