Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Eating meats from people of the book ~ According to Sayed Al-Jannati

Rate this topic

• Basic Members
Al-Salam Alaykum,

My name is Ali and I live in Australia and I have four questions regarding the fatwa on eating meat (cow/chicken/lamb/goat) provided in the Australian kitchens, according to Ayatollah Alozma Jannaati:

1. Is it permissible to eat meats (cow/chicken/lamb/goat) from Christian restaurants despite the presence of other numerous halal restaurants close-by? Or is it only strictly permissible to eat when no halal food is present?

2. Despite the fact that most people that live in Australia are Christians, not all restaurants owned by Australians are Christians. So, when wanting to eat from a large fast-food chain in Australia (such as McDonald's) can I assume that the meats are from Christian sources (thereby making it permissible for me to eat) even though I don't know where they are actually from as they may be Atheist, Hindu or Buddhist?
I think that going up to the counter to ask whether or not their meat source is from a Christian is weird (and most likely would not be given an answer).

3. If a large fast-food chain such as McDonald's is serving me a chicken burger (irrespective of being Islamically-slaughtered or not) they may cook pig products (e.g. bacon) on the same grill. Does that make the chicken burger harram?

4. Do I have to say Bismillah before consuming the 'nonislamically-slaughtered' meal?

Thank you very much for giving me from your time.

Jazakom Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) khair al Jazaa

Al-Salam Alaukum
  • Advanced Member

Salaam.

Meat from non-Muslims is to be automatically considered HARAM unless proven otherwise. Only meat from Muslims is accepted halal without inquiry if I'm not wrong. 

However, if the non-Muslim is serving proven/confirmed Islamically slaughtered halal meat to you, say they are certified halal by a trustworthy and reliable halal certification board that we Shias are okay with, then that is okay.  

A lot of the times non-Muslim places may just have a halal sign but that really means nothing, you must have proper information to accept it halal. 

To keep things simple, just don't eat any meat from non-Muslims. 

• Advanced Member

@AStruggler

This is the position of most Maraji. However, this particular Marja says that meat slaughtered by ahlul-kitab is permissible and that all humans are intrinsically tahir (pure).

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy
  • Advanced Member
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

@AStruggler

This is the position of most Maraji. However, this particular Marja says that meat slaughtered by ahlul-kitab is permissible and that all humans are intrinsically tahir (pure).

Woah this is a first, never knew any scholar ruled consuming non-Muslim's/non-halal meat permissible. This really is strange if you ask me.

Is this marja the only marja that allows this? I don't think A. Saanei allows this meat ruling, however yes I did hear that he believed in the purity of all humans.

Btw, do you go to YU for uni?

Edited by AStruggler
  • Advanced Member

@AStruggler

Yeah, I don't think Saanei considers meat slaughtered by non-Muslims as Halal. I too thought that all Marja agreed that meat must be slaughtered by Muslims, but Jannaati says otherwise apparently. No, I don't go to YU. 

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Ralvi said:

I think we are in circumstance 

I eat kosher cheese

Oh but Cheese is generally fine. I’m 99.9% sure we can’t eat kosher meat in substitute for halal meat. 

(according to the popular view)

Edited by AStruggler
  • Advanced Member
1 minute ago, AStruggler said:

Oh but Cheese is generally fine. I’m 99.9% sure we can’t eat kosher meat in substitute for halal meat. 

(according to the popular view)

In lack of halal meat I believe. Halal is always better.

although some meats are labeled halal but they are killed via electric shocks. Which that ain’t cool

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Ralvi said:

In lack of halal meat I believe. Halal is always better.

although some meats are labeled halal but they are killed via electric shocks. Which that ain’t cool

Nah brother, I’m certain even when there is a lack of halal meat, kosher meat would still be haram as per the popular view (probably everyone except the marja mentioned in this thread). When there is no halal meat you go vegetarian :).

@Sumerian my dude settle this.

• Advanced Member
16 minutes ago, AStruggler said:

Nah brother, I’m certain even when there is a lack of halal meat, kosher meat would still be haram as per the popular view (probably everyone except the marja mentioned in this thread). When there is no halal meat you go vegetarian :).

@Sumerian my dude settle this.

Qur'an mentions if you don’t have intentions to eat meat other than halal then you’re allowed to consume out of necessity(life and death situation). This goes even to pork

although personally I would never. But I cannot blame if somebody does 

Edited by Ralvi
  • Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, Ralvi said:

Qur'an mentions if you don’t have intentions to eat meat other than halal then you’re allowed to consume out of necessity(life and death situation). This goes even to pork

Ok if you’re talking about a life and death situation where it’s the only available thing for consumption, then that’s a different story...Yeah you can probably eat it in that case.

Edited by AStruggler
  • Veteran Member
7 hours ago, Ralvi said:

Neccesity is like you are in a desert and may die unless you consume it. Or it is your only medication perscribed by a qualfiied doctor.

Food of the people of the book refers to non meat products like wheat being permissible 

Edited by Rohani