Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
notme

Lab grown real meat

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, notme said:

Artificial meat substitutes which are made from soy, mushrooms, yeast, or plants are definitely halal, including the ones which are meant to resemble bacon. 

I don't feel comfortable about eating Pork Quorn. My mind just can't except it because it hasn't been programed to accept because of religion. 

I've become a vegetarian because I don’t trust halal meat sources in the United Kingdom but I like Linda McCartney brand vegetarian quarter pounder burgers made in the same way as Quorn brand. They taste just like quarter pounders but made of vegetable protein. 

2 hours ago, Ralvi said:

Yeah it’s something to consider 

what if that argument is made for more sinister purposes

...human meat 

I guess cannibals can go ham ;)

I sometimes joke by saying zombies like to eat Muslims because they think we are halal lol :hahaha:

2 hours ago, Ralvi said:

Seriously though our scholars need to get on this 

I agree scholars need to look into this artificial meat issue. I wonder if there are any similar rulings already. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

u could argue that it may have a tiny bit of animal origin, but then you can't eat bread, which invariably has small bugs or possibly even rodents ground up into the flour. 

I don't think we can completely avoid little worms 

1 hour ago, Hameedeh said:

Is there an Islamic law that it is haram to cut off a piece of meat from an animal that is still alive? 

That sounds very painful :cryhappy:

1 hour ago, eThErEaL said:

If it looks like a duck, smells like a duck and quacks like a duck, it IS a duck.  Same apppies to pork meat. Why would you call it pork then? 

I agree. It's very difficult for my mind to except pork even if it is just an imitation of it. Eating pork is a major sin. So my mind has been programmed to think this way possibly for a good reason. 

54 minutes ago, AStruggler said:

Lol I was thinking the same. If it's a pig it's a pig, whether born naturally or in a laboratory. 

I totally agree 

Edited by Murtaza1

23 hours ago, notme said:

Salam

https://www.memphismeats.com/

Would real meat grown from cell culture, which has never been a live animal, be halal for Muslims to consume? 

If yes, what about lab grown pork? 

I posted a topic like this a few years ago. There is no ruling on this, as of now. that I am aware of. Marjaa' need to study this issue.

1 hour ago, Abu Hadi said:

I posted a topic like this a few years ago. There is no ruling on this, as of now. that I am aware of. Marjaa' need to study this issue.

I was pretty sure it had been discussed here before, but I didn't find your topic in a search. 

Right now the question is purely hypothetical, but with the movement toward more environmentally friendly living, meat is going to increase in price, and in time lab grown meat will be improved and then mass produced. It would be good to have scholars studying this before it becomes an issue, but they're still divided on cheese and that has existed as long as agriculture. 

5 hours ago, notme said:

This post would have been a perfect opportunity to use the shocked reaction. It was retired due to lack of use. 

But same as pork, if it's lab grown, would it be considered meat? If you grow it in a dish, it's lab meat derived from human/pork cells, not human or pig flesh. 

You could argue that it may have a tiny bit of animal origin, but then you can't eat bread, which invariably has small bugs or possibly even rodents ground up into the flour. 

In that case principle matters whether it’s live or not. We are prohibited from consuming some meats and sea life

that's how I see it anyway 

becuase if we permit that then what next?

4 hours ago, AStruggler said:

Oh I don't know, it might be possible. 

But maybe to grow the meat all they need is like a DNA sample or something...This can be done without any cutting off...

It becomes infinitely more complex that way

buy yeah it’s possible in theory

science isn’t that advanced yet to produce meat like that

becuase the first thing I would do is grow hearts. Since technically that is meat and muscle 

5 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Is there an Islamic law that it is haram to cut off a piece of meat from an animal that is still alive? 

We cut off for the purposes of science and food

we can’t eat live animals for food. We have to kill it mercifully then consume it

So I don’t think it’s permissible or halal at all

you know another issue comes up here

lab rats. Science really can be cruel to these creatures. But I guess it’s for the greater good?

5 hours ago, AStruggler said:

If the initial cells used to produce the meat was taken from a living animal 

5 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

4 hours ago, AStruggler said:

But maybe to grow the meat all they need is like a DNA sample or something...This can be done without any cutting off...

2 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

There is no ruling on this, as of now. that I am aware of. Marjaa' need to study this issue.

1 hour ago, notme said:

Right now the question is purely hypothetical, but with the movement toward more environmentally friendly living, meat is going to increase in price, and in time lab grown meat will be improved and then mass produced. It would be good to have scholars studying this before it becomes an issue

8 minutes ago, Ralvi said:

we can’t eat live animals for food. We have to kill it mercifully then consume it

These questions need to be answered soon. If I remember correctly, the company was hoping to start selling lab grown meat next year, in 2020. 

1 hour ago, Hameedeh said:

These questions need to be answered soon. If I remember correctly, the company was hoping to start selling lab grown meat next year, in 2020. 

But it will be expensive. Most of us will not be eating lab grown meat anytime soon. It will only become accessible when it can be mass produced and when the prices of real meat go up to a restrictive level. 

Even vegetarian meat substitutes are expensive when compared to non-halal meats, and they will be as long as the demand is small. We Muslims are just used to paying more for our meats so the vegetarian substitutes seem reasonable to us. 

Everyone is talking about whether or not it'd be halal to consume lab grown 'meat,' but no one is asking if that thing would be meat in the first place, and whether it would be safe to consume?

Even regular animals raised on chemically altered feed in artificial environments isn't healthy to consume in the long term.

Personally, I only count pasture raised and grass fed animals and birds as proper meat, but it's becoming harder and harder to afford especially in countries where natural farming is a fringe activity.

9 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Personally, I only count pasture raised and grass fed animals and birds as proper meat, but it's becoming harder and harder to afford especially in countries where natural farming is a fringe activity.

I also favour organic meat but it can be expensive. I am a vegetarian anyway. The main factor is protein. These artificial meats are a protein source. For example vegans find it difficult to meat certain dietary amounts of nutrients. 

Edited by Murtaza1

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

Everyone is talking about whether or not it'd be halal to consume lab grown 'meat,' but no one is asking if that thing would be meat in the first place, and whether it would be safe to consume?

Even regular animals raised on chemically altered feed in artificial environments isn't healthy to consume in the long term.

Lol I brought it up

thats the one major thing we have to consider

because due to gmo more allergies have arisen. For myself I was never allergic to fruits as a a child. Couple years later I’m allergic to almost all fruits 

so it’s a big factor. Although many foods contain lab grown ingredients nowadays. Well the fast food stuff and fake junk foods 

Edited by Ralvi

On 3/12/2019 at 11:25 AM, notme said:

Salam

https://www.memphismeats.com/

Would real meat grown from cell culture, which has never been a live animal, be halal for Muslims to consume? 

If yes, what about lab grown pork? 

Halal pork aye?  :shifty:

On a serious note, 

If the source of a Genetically Modified Food (GMF) or any other form of lab product is haram in itself, it is better to avoid it by way of precaution at the very least [in my humble opinion]

17 hours ago, notme said:

This post would have been a perfect opportunity to use the shocked reaction. It was retired due to lack of use. 

But same as pork, if it's lab grown, would it be considered meat? If you grow it in a dish, it's lab meat derived from human/pork cells, not human or pig flesh. 

You could argue that it may have a tiny bit of animal origin, but then you can't eat bread, which invariably has small bugs or possibly even rodents ground up into the flour. 

Small bugs are inevitable. We can never get rid of them. For this reason, we are disciplined by Islamic laws and by various forms of worship in Islam to observe cleanliness at all times [unless they cause a great deal of inconvenience OR unless we are left with no option to observe cleanliness in practical life]. 

Pork, on the other hand, is a meat which is expressly stated by Islamic law as haram for the purpose of consumption. Therefore, even if we create an artificial lab product or a byproduct from the cells of pork or bacon we are "technically" as well as "potentially", if not actually, using haram to invent & consume halal. Therein lies the issue of whether such a product should receive a welcome in the Muslim community. In this regard, the potential counter-arguments that I foresee are whether such products are essential in the near future due to the scarcity of food supplies or due to their need for medicinal reasons etc.