Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Gaius I. Caesar

What's farming like in the Islamic World?

Recommended Posts

What do people usually farm or keep as livestock in the Islamic world. I am thinking of starting  a personal farm for halal meat/produce and I would like an idea of what's halal or haram, especially livestock. Starting from the most obvious to least obvious choices. I have already decided on raising poultry, bees and a small garden of vegetables. Thanks in advance for  any information as what I have or keep  and may you be rewarded greatly, insha'Allah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, notme said:

Goats and sheep!

But if you must raise only one, choose bees. 

What else? Commercial produce is filled with pesticides, hormones and chemicals these days. So I decided  to grow and raise my own food.

Is there anything halal that eats, digs up roots and "fertilizes" the ground? Preferably no bigger than a chicken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

What else? Commercial produce is filled with pesticides, hormones and chemicals these days. So I decided  to grow and raise my own food.

Is there anything halal that eats, digs up roots and "fertilizes" the ground? Preferably no bigger than a chicken.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partridge

growing it in Iran is becoming more popular every day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read that chickens are great as pesticide and as fertilizer. Another option might be worms, but they can't be eaten. They're great for the soil and can be sold as bait to fishermen. 

Speaking of fish, I suppose recirculating aquaculture would probably be a bit too much startup cost, but fish waste also makes good fertilizer for crops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

What do people usually farm or keep as livestock in the Islamic world. I am thinking of starting  a personal farm for halal meat/produce and I would like an idea of what's halal or haram, especially livestock. Starting from the most obvious to least obvious choices. I have already decided on raising poultry, bees and a small garden of vegetables. Thanks in advance for  any information as what I have or keep  and may you be rewarded greatly, insha'Allah. 

Really ? That's full time job 

And where do you live ? Which state country ? Check regulations thoroughly 

Edited by Panzerwaffe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, notme said:

I've read that chickens are great as pesticide and as fertilizer. Another option might be worms, but they can't be eaten. They're great for the soil and can be sold as bait to fishermen. 

Same, but this friend of mine said that I needed a separate processor to dilute it before using it as fertilizer as by itself "burns" plants. I was suggested pigs but I explained that I was Muslim  and handling them would be a huge issue.  I wonder if there is a halal animal with the same abilities as a pig when it comes to fertilizing? 

38 minutes ago, Panzerwaffe said:

Really ? That's full time job 

Not really, it would be a full time job if I went commercial. I just using it for personal usage, so it will be at a much smaller scale.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

Get a Llama or Alpaca....just because.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdx8LW3WGdAucosJObES6

Nice, North American cousins of the camel. My space is limited though, so no llamas, cattle, alpacas or camels yet. I'll keep in mind. I'm still looking for the elusive animal that can be a living trash compactor, fertilizes the ground without further processing ("poop and root") and is halal, so I can handle it or move it if I need to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For chicken raising information, look up Polyface Farms (in Virginia) or just read the section on it in Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. They didn't dilute their chicken droppings, but they gave them ample space to move about and moved the pens frequently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notme said:

Are ostriches or emus halal?

I've never seen their meat or eggs for sale, but I know of a farm near where I used to live. 

Their meat are halal & are something between red & white meat & are delicious  I don't try ostriche egg because it's very big & it's doesn't sell in stores but it's meat available in Iranian store 

1 hour ago, notme said:

For chicken raising information, look up Polyface Farms (in Virginia) or just read the section on it in Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. They didn't dilute their chicken droppings, but they gave them ample space to move about and moved the pens frequently. 

Hen described by Imam Ali (عليه السلام) as pig of birds although it's meat is halal but it eat everything on ground & its body stores all ample drugs in its meat but meat of duck recommended as medicine the best halal meat is for birds that can fly or have ability of semi flight light duck also it narrated that daughter of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was keeping ducks in her house that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) advised her before his last going to mosque before his martyrdom that she takes care of ducks well or releases them that eat from natural wild sources .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Their meat are halal & are something between red & white meat & are delicious  I don't try ostriche egg because it's very big & it's doesn't sell in stores but it's meat available in Iranian store 

Hen described by Imam Ali (عليه السلام) as pig of birds although it's meat is halal but it eat everything on ground & its body stores all ample drugs in its meat but meat of duck recommended as medicine the best halal meat is for birds that can fly or have ability of semi flight light duck also it narrated that daughter of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was keeping ducks in her house that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) advised her before his last going to mosque before his martyrdom that she takes care of ducks well or releases them that eat from natural wild sources .

We rarely eat duck, way too much fat and bones for very little meat. I guess I could do turkey instead but turkeys take up a lot of space  Fayoumi chickens have semi-flight, they might fit Ali's (عليه السلام) advice to us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...