Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Alisha

Mutah - married Muslim man & non-Muslim woman

Rate this topic

Guest Alisha

@Hassan- Thank you! I wanted to know the rulings of Sayid Sistani.

I am not against mutah if it isnt abused. But if a married Muslim man is married to a Muslim woman who satisfies him in every aspect of his life and he goes and does mutah with a non Muslim woman behind her back then I have a problem. Instead of focusing his attention on his wife, his mind is elsewhere. So the Muslim woman he married is just like a show piece to show the world what good Muslim he is by having a Muslim spouse while he goes around sleeping with other women and enjoying behind her back. So she is just there to be a maid while he gets his fill of enjoyment elsewhere. This is what I have a problem with mutah. People who abuse it.

To everyone for their kind words - thank you!

To rest who think I am faking, 1 sided WOEman story, or over exaggerating, when you go through a similar situation inshallah, you will remember this thread.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:59 AM, Guest Alisha said:

Salaam Alaykum,

My question is: 

Can a married Shia man do mutah with a white woman?

Background:

Couple: The wife does everything for him to make him have a peaceful and stress free life. He doesnt help her with the housework and the wife also works to bring in the extra money and support the husband in the running of the house. She satisfies him whenever he desires.

White Woman: Is not a practicing Christian. She has slept around with different men in her life. Consumes alcohol and pork. Does not follow the Bible or its teachings.

Does Islam still allow mutah in this case? What if the husband lies and swears he hasnt done mutah while he has in secret?

Thank you.

why is mut'ah such a trend now

55 minutes ago, Guest Alisha said:

I am not against mutah if it isnt abused. But if a married Muslim man is married to a Muslim woman who satisfies him in every aspect of his life and he goes and does mutah with a non Muslim woman behind her back then I have a problem. Instead of focusing his attention on his wife, his mind is elsewhere. So the Muslim woman he married is just like a show piece to show the world what good Muslim he is by having a Muslim spouse while he goes around sleeping with other women and enjoying behind her back. So she is just there to be a maid while he gets his fill of enjoyment elsewhere. This is what I have a problem with mutah. People who abuse it.

To rest who think I am faking, 1 sided WOEman story, or over exaggerating, when you go through a similar situation inshallah, you will remember this thread.

1. If your husband is in the taqlid of Sayid Sistani he should not be doing this with a Christian woman
  2. As I understand it if your husband undertakes mutah with a Muslim woman he does not need to tell you or seek your permission and it does not matter whether you think you satisfy him

You may find the following thread useful.

1 hour ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

why is mut'ah such a trend now

Maybe because people hid muta from others so they didn't know about it but now they know the truth that muta is a way of protecting oneself from sinning. We have to look at other Muslims too and how they don't help others when they are suffering so they end up sinning. So my question is would adultery be forgiven if a person did not know about muta?

3 hours ago, Guest Alisha said:

Sister I do sympathise with you but it is not just a one sided gender issue when it comes to hurting or betraying the other.

I sometimes see women don a traditional black Arabic burka in western countries and openly flirt publicly and perform lewd acts openly. They not only degrade Islam but also incite deep racial tension by doing this, especially when it is not the norm of their community or society to be seen doing this with with someone who's race is in question. 

I personally have deep issues because of experiencing such things. It makes me very distrustful of certain women and I may never marry. 

Edited by Murtaza1

On 2/28/2019 at 2:23 PM, Hassan- said:

According to Imam Khamenei, it is lawful to perform mut’ah marriage with that women.

20 hours ago, Hassan- said:

According to Sayed Sistani, it is not permissible for a man that’s already married to a Muslim woman to perform mut’ah marriage with a non-Muslim woman.

So we have two different opinions between the marjas. So how do we decide? Personally I lean towards Sayed Sistani. 

18 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

So we have two different opinions between the marjas. So how do we decide? Personally I lean towards Sayed Sistani. 

Easy, you go with whoever your marja is.

Salam Alaikum.

My apologies for this long post. I’m too embarrassed to ask any Muslims I know (mostly Sunni) about this in person.

I was asked to establish a mutah marriage with a man I met who told me he was single. It began as a way for us to spend time and talk to each other as we really enjoyed being together and our values seemingly aligned. It grew into much more. I had been divorced for about 3 years when we met and he claimed he was divorced for 18 months. 

I found out he was married when I accidentally called his home phone (Alhamdulillah my wireless system in my car dialed a number I never used) and his wife answered. That evening, I was on my way to the masjid for the Thursday dinner and program for the first time - which was my idea and he had invited himself when I told him I’d arranged for a visit. We had been in a relationship for 5 months, and I was deeply in love with him. I felt terrible for his wife and believed I was tricked into being adulterous which was horrible to deal with. 

He had mentioned Nikah marriage, moving away together, and I thought we were perfect for each other. His excuse for not letting me visit him in his home was that he was raising his daughters (because his ex wife lived in a different house and his daughters didn’t want to change schools) and he was not ready to tell them about us. 

I, however, introduced him to my family, my grown children (we are both in our 50s) and was so happy. We had a break up that I’m not proud of in things I said out of anger. We’ve made peace now but we could never be together and he will never find the courage to leave his unhappy marriage. They live in separate rooms and rarely speak. 

A month before I found out, I had asked for my mutah ‘time back’ when I read that our contract was done incorrectly (no end date stated) and he hadn’t paid my request in over 4 months, which was a weekend away together. We re-established the contract with a 3 month end date and a small amount of money as the ‘dowry’. We never made it to the end as I found out shortly thereafter. 

I was a believer in One God before I met him- forever really- and was raised as a Catholic (with many questions). He introduced me to Islam and once I started reading about it I couldn’t stop! I’ve always searched for truth and prayed to God for guidance and discernment. Those have always been my prayers. This man I was with did not initially know the level of my interest in Islam and my quest for learning more. My journey towards prayer, recitation and adopting Muslim practices- which is still ongoing- is another story, however. Im grateful that I was introduced to the Qur'an, even by someone who continually lied so I would not break up with him. He is sorry and I believe him. The whole thing caused so much pain and  betrayal but I’m not his judge and I need to focus on my own path right now. I’m now moving out of state to be closer to my family and doubt that we will ever speak to or see each other again. 

I have questions about Islam and the details around mutah is one of these questions. 

Is it Islamically ok for a man to deceive a ‘mutah wife’ like this? He made it sound like it was a ‘prequel’ to a real marriage. I’m trying to separate my disappointment in him and my interest in Islam. I’ve learned that Allah is my only true ‘love’ and now see this experience as a valuable lesson but question how it could be allowable to hurt someone through a mutah marriage, regardless of religious affiliation. He insisted that ‘everything was Islamically correct’ so my concern around committing adultery was unfounded. 

I feel like he used me. Does Islam allow this? 

Thank you and Salam to all of you!

14 hours ago, ElizabethJ said:

Is it Islamically ok for a man to deceive a ‘mutah wife’ like this? He made it sound like it was a ‘prequel’ to a real marriage. I’m trying to separate my disappointment in him and my interest in Islam. 

Walaikum a salam,

No sister it is not right for him to deceive you. Allah subhana wa tala will deal with him justly inshallah.

Many people are being betrayed these days by such people, especially on social media, there are sick and mentally ill people out there with diseases betraying young girls too. The money hungry and fame seeking Muslims and alike are promoting Islam as some kind of open service for everyone in society to come and become part of us. This has to stop.

I'm sorry you became a victim but be strong, take a break, go on holiday, refresh your mind, don't let it effect your faith. You have made a good transition from Christianity to Islam well done, don't let them tear you down. 

Edited by Murtaza1

16 hours ago, ElizabethJ said:

Salam Alaikum.

My apologies for this long post. I’m too embarrassed to ask any Muslims I know (mostly Sunni) about this in person.

I was asked to establish a mutah marriage with a man I met who told me he was single. It began as a way for us to spend time and talk to each other as we really enjoyed being together and our values seemingly aligned. It grew into much more. I had been divorced for about 3 years when we met and he claimed he was divorced for 18 months. 

I found out he was married when I accidentally called his home phone (Alhamdulillah my wireless system in my car dialed a number I never used) and his wife answered. That evening, I was on my way to the masjid for the Thursday dinner and program for the first time - which was my idea and he had invited himself when I told him I’d arranged for a visit. We had been in a relationship for 5 months, and I was deeply in love with him. I felt terrible for his wife and believed I was tricked into being adulterous which was horrible to deal with. 

He had mentioned Nikah marriage, moving away together, and I thought we were perfect for each other. His excuse for not letting me visit him in his home was that he was raising his daughters (because his ex wife lived in a different house and his daughters didn’t want to change schools) and he was not ready to tell them about us. 

I, however, introduced him to my family, my grown children (we are both in our 50s) and was so happy. We had a break up that I’m not proud of in things I said out of anger. We’ve made peace now but we could never be together and he will never find the courage to leave his unhappy marriage. They live in separate rooms and rarely speak. 

A month before I found out, I had asked for my mutah ‘time back’ when I read that our contract was done incorrectly (no end date stated) and he hadn’t paid my request in over 4 months, which was a weekend away together. We re-established the contract with a 3 month end date and a small amount of money as the ‘dowry’. We never made it to the end as I found out shortly thereafter. 

I was a believer in One God before I met him- forever really- and was raised as a Catholic (with many questions). He introduced me to Islam and once I started reading about it I couldn’t stop! I’ve always searched for truth and prayed to God for guidance and discernment. Those have always been my prayers. This man I was with did not initially know the level of my interest in Islam and my quest for learning more. My journey towards prayer, recitation and adopting Muslim practices- which is still ongoing- is another story, however. Im grateful that I was introduced to the Qur'an, even by someone who continually lied so I would not break up with him. He is sorry and I believe him. The whole thing caused so much pain and  betrayal but I’m not his judge and I need to focus on my own path right now. I’m now moving out of state to be closer to my family and doubt that we will ever speak to or see each other again. 

I have questions about Islam and the details around mutah is one of these questions. 

Is it Islamically ok for a man to deceive a ‘mutah wife’ like this? He made it sound like it was a ‘prequel’ to a real marriage. I’m trying to separate my disappointment in him and my interest in Islam. I’ve learned that Allah is my only true ‘love’ and now see this experience as a valuable lesson but question how it could be allowable to hurt someone through a mutah marriage, regardless of religious affiliation. He insisted that ‘everything was Islamically correct’ so my concern around committing adultery was unfounded. 

I feel like he used me. Does Islam allow this? 

Thank you and Salam to all of you!

Salam, sister. 

There are two issues here which you brought up. I will deal with them seperately, for matters of clarity and brevity, 

On the first part, is it ok to deceive someone with regards to marriage. You probably already know the answer to that, it is a definite no. In Islam, it is not ok to deceive anyone, except in a few very specific situations (like when you are in war fighting against an enemy on the battlefield, or when someone is holding a gun to your head, etc). This is not one of those situations. It doesn't matter whether the person is Muslim or non Muslim. There are hundreds of hadith and verses in the Qur'an about this including 'The curse of Allah is on the liars', which is found in Holy Qur'an. 

If he said anything to you that was a fact, that was false, this is lying, a major sin, and with all major sins there is punishment attached to that act either in this life, the next life, or both, BUT this doesn't invalidate the marriage. 

For the second part, Islam has a system of laws and regulations called 'Fiqh', or Jurisprudence (if you are already familiar with this concept, I apologize, but on the Internet, you can't assume anything, and I try not to). These are the regulations which determine whether an act is halal (acceptable) or haram(forbidden) and whether a contract, like a marriage contract is valid or invalid. In Islam, there are two types of marriage contracts. The first type is the Zawaj Nikah (also referred to as 'Nikah' by some). The main component of this contract is that the time limit for the marriage is not defined at the time of the contract. This is sometimes also called 'permanent marriage', but that term is misleading (which is why I don't use it much), because there are no 'permenant' marriage contracts and the contract for Zawaj Nikah will end if there is a divorce or either of the spouse(s) dies. Since noone knows if they will get divorced or when they or their spouse will die, we say the time period of the contract is not defined at the time of the commencement of the contract, but it does also have an end date.

The second type of marriage contract is Zawaj Muta', sometimes called 'Mutah' or temporary marriage. The main component of this marriage contract is that the time limit for the marriage is defined on the commencement of the marriage. So if the time limit is not defined at the time of the commencement of the contract, then the contract is invalid, from the perspective of Fiqh. There are additional requirements for this marriage to be valid, these are

A) A Mahr(dowry) must be given by the man to the women. This could be literally anything, as long as it has some tangible value to the women, and as long as they mutually agree upon it. 

B) The aqd (marriage contract) must be recited by the women to the man. Most marjaa' say this must be done in Arabic. 

FIRST THE LADY SAYS:

Zawajtuka nafsi fil muddatil ma'loomati 'alal mahril ma'loom.

Translation: "I married myself to you for the known period and the agreed upon dowry."

THEN THE MAN REPLIES:

Qabiltu.

Translation: "I accepted."*

In order for the Mutah to be valid, these conditions must be met. Skipping or leaving out any of them means the marriage is invalid. 

If you have any further questions, I will be happy to answer. Salam. 

9 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

Walaikum a salam,

No sister it is not right for him to deceive you. Allah subhana wa tala will deal with him justly inshallah.

Many people are being betrayed these days by such people, especially on social media, there are sick and mentally ill people out there with diseases betraying young girls too. The money hungry and fame seeking Muslims and alike are promoting Islam as some kind of open service for everyone in society to come and become part of us. This has to stop.

I'm sorry you became a victim but be strong, take a break, go on holiday, refresh your mind, don't let it effect your faith. You have made a good transition from Christianity to Islam well done, don't let them tear you down. 

Murtaza1 and Abu Hadi-

Walaikum a salam,

Sincere thanks to you brothers, for your thoughtful replies. 

@Murtaza1 I’ve watched many, many YouTube  videos and have thought some popular sheiks are walking a scary line by promoting their personal brand as much as Islam but I also know what it’s like to have limited opportunities to learn about Islam (outside of reading) other than the internet. There are valuable videos, however, on pronunciation and watching videos is how I learned how to pray. The Muslim Pro and other apps have helped me learn a few Suras, as well. I did not get offered help the 4-5 times I visited the masjid other than one young mom who could only help during the day while I was working. My ‘mutah husband’ answered questions, too, and is who led me to the Shia way of prayer, wudu, etc.. and I’ll always be grateful for the fact that he introduced me to Islam.

@Abu HadiOur initial contract was not correct and that’s why I forced the issue of a ‘re-do ‘ after researching myself. 

I could not find anything about not having to be truthful to either wife, and I am relieved to know that his actions were not ok with this faith. I asked Allah for forgiveness for both of us and am grateful Allah Subhanahu wa t’ala revealed the truth about what I was not able to see. 

Thank you again.

Salam,

J

@ElizabethJ You are not alone sister. I was born in a Shia family but it wasn't until ten years ago at age 33 I became practising. I went to a Sunni mosque to learn how to pray. I think the sheikh of the mosque did not take me seriously at first. He welcomed me but he was cautious. He seemed reluctant to open the door, I think he had to be cautious because the town experienced religious anti social behaviour from local youths, eventually he opened the door and we had a meeting and he gave me books on how to pray. He was continues with his support although I didn't feel that the rest of the mosque attendees at Friday prayers took me seriously but various people gave me their time and guidance. They were good in their iman and we prayed together. 

I did not know the difference between Sunni and Shia even though I was born in a Shia family. As I learned more I learned through Shia TV channels, YouTube and some of my relatives also guided me. Although I question them a little now because they did not correct my praying as I was still moving my head right and left like Sunni way. I also benefited from Shia books that my parents have kept in the house since I was born.

Anyway I learned that there was nothing personal that people had against me at this mosque. I just needed to integrate to fit in with their mind sets and lifestyles, I used to wear tight clothes and had a different style of communicating. I got there eventually. I am sure many people will help you too, just keep an open mind and meet and socialise with as many people as you can. Barriers break down when people understand each other and become comfortable. We all learn from mistakes..

Edited by Murtaza1

16 hours ago, ElizabethJ said:

Murtaza1 and Abu Hadi-

Walaikum a salam,

Sincere thanks to you brothers, for your thoughtful replies. 

@Murtaza1 I’ve watched many, many YouTube  videos and have thought some popular sheiks are walking a scary line by promoting their personal brand as much as Islam but I also know what it’s like to have limited opportunities to learn about Islam (outside of reading) other than the internet. There are valuable videos, however, on pronunciation and watching videos is how I learned how to pray. The Muslim Pro and other apps have helped me learn a few Suras, as well. I did not get offered help the 4-5 times I visited the masjid other than one young mom who could only help during the day while I was working. My ‘mutah husband’ answered questions, too, and is who led me to the Shia way of prayer, wudu, etc.. and I’ll always be grateful for the fact that he introduced me to Islam.

@Abu HadiOur initial contract was not correct and that’s why I forced the issue of a ‘re-do ‘ after researching myself. 

I could not find anything about not having to be truthful to either wife, and I am relieved to know that his actions were not ok with this faith. I asked Allah for forgiveness for both of us and am grateful Allah Subhanahu wa t’ala revealed the truth about what I was not able to see. 

Thank you again.

Salam,

J

The other thing I wanted to add is that this is a big issue in our community, the issue of Muslim men getting into temporary marriage relationships with non Muslim women who don't understand about the religion and what the Islamic concept of marriage is about and then, many times, walking away with a negative impression about Islam. 

I wish I could afford to take out a full page ad in the NY Times or snatch up all the google adwords for a few days just to say simply,

'Islam is about strengthening the idea of marriage, family, and community and does not condone lying or dishonesty in any form when it comes to marriage. If a man does that, it is because of a flaw in his character, it has nothing to do with the religion of Islam.'

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum

Dear Sister @ElizabethJ

Thank you for posting and explaining your situation.  Converts are usually the ones who are targets with some selfish Muslim men who only think how to fulfill their desires and not fear in God.  What shocks me even more is the fact that man had daughters who he is raising, why he would treat other women who are daughters and mothers in a deceitful way, is very conceited and a compulsive liar.  Stay farrrrrr away from ANY person who is like that.  Thank God your relationship didn't advance to anything further as far as something permanent.  Do not feel guilty for one iota.

You are the smart one in all this, Alhamd'Allah you left him without looking back.  A very good choice, a caring, concerned individual who doesn't want to be a homewrecker.  But sister please don't think you did an adulterous affair, not at all. 

You made all the right choices with the information you had, and there is no one to blame except him.

I know you had a bad experience with this man who happens to be Shia, but believe me sister, there are people like this in every sect or religion.  If you believe in your heart the school of Ahulbayt is correct, the bad experience you had is not a reflection of Shia Islam.  Study the content, understand the religion, if this is what you believe in continue, not the people who claim to say they are Shias.  Ask Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to give you the opportunity to meet the true followers of Ali.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Edited by Laayla

Guest Antioch

The non-Muslim would have to be among the Old Christians who accepted the Oneness of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and the Prophethood of Isa (عليه السلام). The reason being for this is that the Qur'an instructs Ahlul Kitab to abolish the Trinity and inform that the believers of Isa's time accepted him as a Prophet of the Almighty King. The Qur'an also forbids the marrying of polytheists. Shia scholars all agree very well that Christians are polytheists. 

Christians identified as Polytheists:

https://www.al-Islam.org/study-polytheism-and-idolatry-Qur'an-Abbas-Sayyid-karimi/chapter-8-categories-polytheists#second-category-worshippers-jesus-christ-and-mary

Qur'an verses about Christians and forbidding of marrying polytheists:

O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not ‘Three’ - Cease! (it is) better for you! - Allah is only One Allah. Far is it removed from His Transcendent Majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the Earth. And Allah is sufficient as Defender.” (Qur’an 4:171)

Surah Baqarah, 221 (2:221):

And do not marry polytheistic women until they believe. And a believing slave woman is better than a polytheist, even though she might please you. And do not marry polytheistic men [to your women] until they believe. And a believing slave is better than a polytheist, even though he might please you. Those invite [you] to the Fire, but Allah invites to Paradise and to forgiveness, by His permission. And He makes clear His verses to the people that perhaps they may remember.

6 hours ago, Guest Antioch said:

The non-Muslim would have to be among the Old Christians who accepted the Oneness of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and the Prophethood of Isa (عليه السلام). The reason being for this is that the Qur'an instructs Ahlul Kitab to abolish the Trinity and inform that the believers of Isa's time accepted him as a Prophet of the Almighty King. The Qur'an also forbids the marrying of polytheists. Shia scholars all agree very well that Christians are polytheists. 

https://www.al-Islam.org/study-polytheism-and-idolatry-Qur'an-Abbas-Sayyid-karimi/chapter-8-categories-polytheists#second-category-worshippers-jesus-christ-and-mary

O People of the Scripture! Do not exaggerate in your religion nor utter aught concerning Allah save the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only a messenger of Allah, and His word which He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers, and say not ‘Three’ - Cease! (it is) better for you! - Allah is only One Allah. Far is it removed from His Transcendent Majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the Earth. And Allah is sufficient as Defender.” (Qur’an 4:171)

And do not marry polytheistic women until they believe. And a believing slave woman is better than a polytheist, even though she might please you. And do not marry polytheistic men [to your women] until they believe. And a believing slave is better than a polytheist, even though he might please you. Those invite [you] to the Fire, but Allah invites to Paradise and to forgiveness, by His permission. And He makes clear His verses to the people that perhaps they may remember.

Almost all jurists  believe Muslims men are allowed to Marry trinitarian Christians. 

11 hours ago, Guest Antioch said:

Trinitarian Christian are not Polytheists(Mushrik) . They are Ahl Al Kitab. Even during the time of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) there were Trinitarian Christians, although there were also many other sects of Christianity at that time which were non Trinitarian. 

Please do not confuse those who are reading here. The criteria for marriage (because we Muslims (men) can marry Ahl Al Kitab) is that you ask the lady 'What religion are you ? ' If she says 'Christian' or 'Jewish', she is Ahl Al Kitab. It is no more or less complicated than that.