Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Aflower

Buddha statue for decorative purposes?

Rate this topic

Salam,

I have been gifted a beautiful Buddha statue that is approximately 30 cm tall in height. Would it be permissible for me to place this in my cloakroom for purely decorative purposes? Thanks. 

50 minutes ago, Aflower said:

Salam,

I have been gifted a beautiful Buddha statue that is approximately 30 cm tall in height. Would it be permissible for me to place this in my cloakroom for purely decorative purposes? Thanks. 

Pretty sure it is not permissible.

1 hour ago, Aflower said:

I have been gifted a beautiful Buddha statue that is approximately 30 cm tall in height. 

Salam. Donate it (give it away) to a shop that sells used things to poor people. 

8 hours ago, Aflower said:

Salam,

doesnt your friend know that your religion is strongly against idol worship and idols that are worshiped as God(s) and there is severe punishment for that in Islam in the hereafter. Sell it and make money from it and donate it to the needy and the orphans. 

On 2/26/2019 at 8:46 PM, Aflower said:

Salam,

If you find it beautiful, then ponder on it.  Perhaps it will inspire you as it is a sacred art meant to remind you to remember Allah just as the Buddha in the statue is completely absorbed in His remembrance.  “Inna amaalu bi al-niyyat” (verily your actions are judged in accordance with your intentions).  

Why throw it or sell sacred art especially if you find it beautiful?  Simply keep it out your prayer room and don’t face it for Qibla (or cover it before your pray) so that you comply with the Islamic Shariah.  

Edited by eThErEaL

11 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

If you find it beautiful, then ponder on it.  Perhaps it will inspire you as it is a sacred art meant to remind you to remember Allah just as the Buddha in the statue is completely absorbed in His remembrance.  “Inna amaalu bi al-niyyat” (verily your actions are judged in accordance with your intentions).  

Why throw it or sell sacred art especially if you find it beautiful?  Simply keep it out your prayer room and don’t face it for Qibla (or cover it before your pray) so that you comply with the Islamic Shariah.  

This was honestly my gut reaction and thought process too - hence I chose to place it in my cloakroom. However, both my husband and son felt uncomfortable with it being placed anywhere in the house. It's such a pretty ornament that I didn't want to part with it but if it makes others in the family unhappy then it's not worth keeping it. Oh the sacrifices I make for my family - (that's a joke BTW). 

Edited by Aflower

On 2/26/2019 at 12:46 PM, Aflower said:

Salam,

First of all buddha was not really eye candy so how is it decorative???

9 minutes ago, Panzerwaffe said:

First of all buddha was not really eye candy so how is it decorative???

I would strongly suggest that you google images of Buddha ornaments. The one that I've been gifted is covered in mirrored mosaics and embellished with crystals so it definitely catches the eye. In any case, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. 

9 minutes ago, Aflower said:

I would strongly suggest that you google images of Buddha ornaments. The one that I've been gifted is covered in mirrored mosaics and embellished with crystals so it definitely catches the eye. In any case, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. 

( roll eyes ) sure 

They are idolatrous,  destroy them 

4 hours ago, Propaganda_of_the_Deed said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrT7m1RspoFJF1LscWSgK

Mocking the sacred is not really a wise thing to do (even if done in ignorance), there are very bad consequences to this.  I could explain the symbolism of each feature on this “Laughing Buddha” statue.

Edited by eThErEaL

1 hour ago, eThErEaL said:

Mocking the sacred is not really a wise thing to do (even if done in ignorance), there are very bad consequences to this.  

And can you be so kind as to quote me where I mocked? I literally followed Op's suggestion by googling images of "Buddha ornaments", it is on the first page of results in fact. You can check yourself.

1 hour ago, eThErEaL said:

I could explain the symbolism of each feature on this “Laughing Buddha” statue.

tenor.gif

On 2/27/2019 at 5:46 AM, Aflower said:

Salam,

عن أبي عبد الله عليه السلام قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله: إن جبرئيل عليه السلام أتاني فقال: إنا معاشر الملائكة لا ندخل بيتا فيه كلب ولا تمثال

On the authority of Imam Sadiq, the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: Gabriel came to me and said: "We, angels, do not enter a room in which there is a dog or a statue. 

Based on this, I would say it is better not to keep it; or at least not to put in a room where you pray.