Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Urwatul Wuthqa

New weird tax in Pakistan

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

In order to boost the health sector, the federal government has decided to impose ‘gunah tax’ on cigarettes.

https://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/468926-Govt-impose-gunah-tax-cigarettes

I like that word gunah meaning sin. They should have the same for other crimes too such as racism and religious discrimination lol

Edited by Murtaza1

8 hours ago, Murtaza1 said:

I like that word gunah meaning sin. They should have the same for other crimes too such as racism and religious discrimination lol

brother, everything would become racist if the government could tax you for being racist. :shock: They would claim that you said something discriminatory, even if you didn't, just to make that $$$ 

e.g. You're Anti-Zionist??? Let's get 'em boys!!! :threatenlumber:

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

18 minutes ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

brother, everything would become racist if the government could tax you for being racist. :shock: They would claim that you said something discriminatory, even if you didn't, just to make that $$$ 

e.g. You're Anti-Zionist??? Let's get 'em boys!!! :threatenlumber:

Well no, I mean you gotta have prove like a video or sound recording

30 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

Well no, I mean you gotta have prove like a video or sound recording

Who gets to decide what is discriminatory? It's a slippery slope. It would become an excuse for the government to silence dissent, and throw people in jail.

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

14 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

In order to boost the health sector, the federal government has decided to impose ‘gunah tax’ on cigarettes.

https://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/468926-Govt-impose-gunah-tax-cigarettes

This is very common in the West, they call it a sin tax aswell. Sometimes it is even applied to junk food. We have it in Canada. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_tax

Edited by AmirioTheMuzzy

19 minutes ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Who gets to decide what is discriminatory? It's a slippery slope. It would become an excuse for the government to silence dissent, and throw people in jail.

I think when the correct principles of law are applied and practised then it separates facts from lies. I think it can be done, just like most court cases where justice is served, surely some may slip but they will be dealt with by Allah subhana wa tala in the hereafter.

14 hours ago, AmirioTheMuzzy said:

Sometimes it is even applied to junk food. We have it in Canada

Yes there are countries with a sugar tax. The problem in countries like Pakistan is people not paying taxes.

These sin taxes might work because they could be levied on multinationals who would be expected to comply e.g. a sin tax on sugary colas. BUT the well-connected locals who are their partners might lobby against such taxes in the first place.

On this subject how is the moratorium on feasts at weddings going these days? I thought it was an amazing idea. 

5 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

BUT the well-connected locals who are their partners might lobby against such taxes in the first place.

I have just one objection and that is the name of this tax. Anything deemed as sin must be stopped right away instead of charging fine or collecting taxes in the name of sin. For instance, if cigarette smoking is sin, ban it permanently instead of collecting revenue from it.

Edited by Salsabeel

51 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

I have just one objection and that is the name of this tax. Anything deemed as sin must be stopped right away instead of charging fine or collecting taxes in the name of sin. For instance, if cigarette smoking is sin, ban it permanently instead of collecting revenue from it.

They know how much one can gladly pay for just craving of smoke and there is a lot of thing that are banned and yet distributed.. So may be scraping money from pockets weights someone to stop!!

Cigarettes in Pak are very cheap. They should be expensive as in the Western countries to deter people from wasting money and destroying their health.

I don't like it's being called "sin tax." Just call it what it is. 

On 2/22/2019 at 4:53 PM, Haji 2003 said:

On this subject how is the moratorium on feasts at weddings going these days? I thought it was an amazing idea

Officially you can only have 'one dish' dinners but it's not being enforced these days. People who can afford hold lavish wedding feasts but those who can't or don't want to (like my family) have accepted the wisdom behind the 'one dish' and stick to it. 

'One dish' isn't just one dish anyway. It's one main dish (of meat), EXCLUDING rice, roti/naan, sweet dish, chai and cold drinks. We don't need five more dishes with what we already have on the 'one dish' menu. 

Edited by Marbles