Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can this verse be explained without invoking evolution?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Salam ,

Few years ago I had stopped and pondered on this verse (7:189) . I have long held macroevolution to be consistent with the Qur'an's message but had a hard time convincing other Muslims. Sunnis have largely held Eve was created from one of Adam's ribs. I found this explanation to be a cop-out similiar to how both Sunnis and Shias try to explain the marriage of Adam's children. 

Unlike many other verses that may suggest evolution, this verse was clear in what it says but needed a precise explanation in light of traditionally held beliefs. If you understand Arabic and see the English translations - you'll find many of them like pickthal , Yusuf Ali etc avoid translating it as the Arabic text says but seemed to force their own understanding of the verse.

I find the translation by Asad the most accurate. The bolded part is the focus of my topic.

Please share your thoughts:

Surah Al-Araf, Verse 189:
هُوَ الَّذِي خَلَقَكُم مِّن نَّفْسٍ وَاحِدَةٍ وَجَعَلَ مِنْهَا زَوْجَهَا لِيَسْكُنَ إِلَيْهَا فَلَمَّا تَغَشَّاهَا حَمَلَتْ حَمْلًا خَفِيفًا فَمَرَّتْ بِهِ فَلَمَّا أَثْقَلَت دَّعَوَا اللَّهَ رَبَّهُمَا لَئِنْ آتَيْتَنَا صَالِحًا لَّنَكُونَنَّ مِنَ الشَّاكِرِينَ

IT IS HE who has created you out of one living entity, and out of it brought into being its mate, so that man might incline [with love] towards woman. And so, when he has embraced her, she conceives [what at first is] a light burden, and continues to bear it. Then, when she grows heavy [with child], they both call unto God, their Sustainer, "If Thou indeed grant us a sound [child], we shall most certainly be among the grateful!"

• Advanced Member

Lol, the way you were describing this verse I was expecting something very different and big which was going to show me evolution.

but this verse actually does seem to describe the Adam (عليه السلام) and rib story. The one living entity being Adam (عليه السلام), and then it says "out of it brought its mate" - this seems perfectly aligned with the rib story; Huwa (عليه السلام) is the mate of Adam. 

It seems from this verse there was a direct next step in which the "mate" was drawn from the entity. 

Now with evolution, it would not have been a direct step. Some water organism would have been evolving for millions of years. 

So I don't see where you are going with this verse? If anything I'm surprised myself because I have never read this verse, and now reading it, it just fits 100% more with the rib story. 

You can share your opinion on this.  

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, YAli said:

Lol, the way you were describing this verse I was expecting something very different and big which was going to show me evolution.

but this verse actually does seem to describe the Adam (عليه السلام) and rib story. The one living entity being Adam (عليه السلام), and then it says "out of it brought its mate" - this seems perfectly aligned with the rib story; Huwa (عليه السلام) is the mate of Adam. 

It seems from this verse there was a direct next step in which the "mate" was drawn from the entity. 

Now with evolution, it would not have been a direct step. Some water organism would have been evolving for millions of years. 

So I don't see where you are going with this verse? If anything I'm surprised myself because I have never read this verse, and now reading it, it just fits 100% more with the rib story. 

You can share your opinion on this.  

We think the rib story is a fabrication injected from non Muslim sources , I did say in my message it was a poor explanation, and compared it to the issue of Adam's children procreating. 

As to the verse seemingly showing immediate change - it is well within Quranic language to condense two events together despite there being a long time span in between.  There's nothing in the Arabic used to necessitate otherwise. I'll try to post some examples later.

Salam

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Fink said:

We think the rib story is a fabrication injected from non Muslim sources , I did say in my message it was a poor explanation, and compared it to the issue of Adam's children procreating. 

As to the verse seemingly showing immediate change - it is well within Quranic language to condense two events together despite there being a long time span in between.  There's nothing in the Arabic used to necessitate otherwise. I'll try to post some examples later.

Salam

The rib story may or may not be fabricated, I just do not know, but I was merely pointing to that fact that it fits with this verse, whether fabricated or not! 

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, YAli said:

The rib story may or may not be fabricated, I just do not know, but I was merely pointing to that fact that it fits with this verse, whether fabricated or not! 

Yes offcourse it fits, thats why they used it :D

• Advanced Member

Nafs is broadly used for a living entity, because of its root NFS meaning "to breath". This obviously cannot be endorsing the Biblical account of creation, with the male being the first human created and his female counterpart developing out of him (his rib) since it says that the complementary part of the nafs developed out of "her". The verse addresses the issue of the origin of humanity. In the beginning there was one NFS/breathing ie living entity, out of which a complementary part developped. Their interraction produced other entities that gradually evolved into, among other species, human males and females. The underlying idea is that both genders are identical in their essence; there is no difference among them in this reality, which is why it points to "the people", without making any distinction of gender, color, religion or social status. The verse joins all of humanity under One Lord who created us and who legislates over us with justice.

This universal truth is often reiterated with the image of various ethnicities and tribes originating from one sexual pair and sharing all throughout the stages of life, the same dwelling places as denoted with the comprehensive words mustaqarr/mustawdaa; from the testicles, to the womb, then the Earth sheltered by one heavenly canopy, as members of one family sharing the same living space and who should therefore all come to know one another 2:22,6:98,49:13.