AMR5

I Love Muslim Ummah

Rate this topic

I’ll start with mine-

Years ago we were travelling on a backroad in Alabama and the car broke. We were returning from a friend’s wedding, and were not expecting this to happen. We had two men and three women with us, and knowing the area and the prejudices, we didn’t want to be stranded there with three hijabi ladies. We waived a few local trucks passing by but no one bothered to stop. We all were in college back then and none of us could afford to keep those old days cell phones, so there was no question of calling for help.

As we were pondering our next move, there came a shabby looking 70s Chevy with darkened windows and loud music. Obviously we were little bothered. The guy hit the breaks a few yards beyond us and reversed next to us. He was an African American dude, two times my height, ex-convict as we learned later, and the first thing he said as he jumped out of the truck was a loud Asalamoalakom (you know the accent). He apparently had seen the inside of our car with his roof high headlights, and figured we were Muslims. 

He not only helped us fix our car while telling all about his previous life and conversion in prison, he also forced us to take the pizza with us that he had in his truck, which apparently was his dinner. We were totally flabbergasted by his act of kindness and his love of being a Muslim. He kept on telling us how we were his brothers and sisters, and that we had nothing to worry about. 

Now decades later, each one of us still remember that man, who out of no other reason, but the love of his Muslim brotherhood, helped these five young college students who were stranded in the middle of nowhere and had no clue of what to do next.

The warmth of his consideration and his love of Islam would always remain with us. May Allah bless him wherever he is now. 

:salam:

When I first visited Imam al Ridha (عليه السلام) in Mashhad with my father, I saw this young man around my age, crying in supplications and at the same time smiling at me -probably because I look like a convert.

Then as we were about to leave the room, he came after me and handed me a red aqeeq ring as a gift, and insisted to keep it. So I accepted it and offered him my aqeeq ring telling we were now tied by friendship and iman. We had a limited chat due to language barriers, but exchanged phone numbers and emails and said goodbye.

We remained in contact by messenger apps. Two years after I went back to Iran this time with my wife and told him beforehand. Our arrival time infor Mashhad was not clear but when we checked in at the hotel I got a message from him saying he had been waiting for several hours and was about to leave. I knew afterwards he had taken his day off at work just to meet us and came from Kashmar which is not so close to Mashhad at all.

Just had the time to call him back and we were able to meet him and his family, have lunch at his in laws, and we spent two days with them in Khurasan razavi, definitely wonderful times.

I love that brother, his name is Ruhollah. Please have a nice dua for him and his family.

Two incidences that I will remember for the rest of my life, both from Ziyaraats

1. I had been in Iraq for only a few hours when I realised I had developed a Urinary Tract Infection, a bad one.I had been having some symptoms for a day or so but overlooked them due to other things. On top of everything I had neglected to pack any antibiotics. I have a strong immune system Alhumdollilah and hadn't had an infection in years so I figured there would be no need now.Now that I was in Najaf for the first time,alone without any family or friends I realised with a sinking feeling that it was going to get very bad. I had asked the group doctor for antibiotics but he seemed to have disappeared.

Night had fallen and with the rest of the people in my group on a tour of Imam Ali(as)'s shrine I winced alone in pain in my hotel room. I came down to the lobby, asked someone at the front desk for directions to a pharmacy, he pointed in a general direction of the bazaar. I tried looking for a pharmacy, but all I could see were shops selling food and souvenirs.I tried asking several shopkeepers for directions.To my dismay, no one understood english.I was getting desperate and rushed back to the deserted hotel lobby in tears as another wave of pain left me dizzy and I feared I would collapse in the market.Then out of nowhere this man came and asked me if I needed help.I told him I needed to buy medicines STAT. He told me in very broken english he worked in Masjid e Kufa and would be happy to take me to a medical store. So, he took me through the streets to a pharmacy and I followed him wondering how does one say 'Ciprofloxacin' in Arabic but thankfully the medicines had names in English! lol I hadn't had the chance to change the currency yet so when I tried paying the pharmacy with USD he won't take it. This gentleman,paid for my medicines with his own money and point blank refused to let me reimburse him.

He took me back to the hotel where I took a double dose of antibiotic and tried sleeping(I was better by morning and have since learned the Arabic word for pharmacy lolz) May Allah bless the brother, he didn't accept my money but I try repaying him in duas in my Salat ul Layl(if my words are worth anything)

2. I was in Karbala a couple of months back.It was my last day there and for some reason I was feeling completely,utterly heartbroken.I DID NOT want to return to dunya at any cost but was seeing no way out of it.After reciting ziyarat I sat besides the grave of Imam Hussain(عليه السلام) clutching the iron bars,my mind empty and unable to recite any duas or ask for hajaats.I was just sitting there with a blank stare looking very lost and broken.Then this old Arab lady comes, she had a Qur'an in one hand. Without saying a word she sat next to me,opened the Qur'an, held my hand and started reciting Surah Yasin. MY God!! it was such a beautiful recitation.I cannot generally stand women recitation lolz but this was amazing!! I never wanted it to end, tears just started pouring down my cheeks.By the time she finished the empty feeling was gone.She then told me she had prayed for me, gave the Qur'an to me and left.May Allah bless her for comforting a random stranger. 

Edited by starlight

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum

I woke up late, realizing I had a half hour before my dentist appointment.  I can't take the car because there isn't parking spots available in the area.  It was also raining very hard.  I was afraid of slipping and falling.  I crossed the street and was rushing to make it on time.  I was hearing music blasting from a car and suddenly it stopped and a Muslim sister, shouted, "WHERE ARE YOU GOING?"  I told her where and she said, "I'll take you."

I jumped in and was so happy to have met her and she said let's exchange numbers, I was giving her my home number, and she said you don't have a cell number?  I said no, and she said that's too bad.   She was explaining how she usually picks up random people and takes them to their destination and in return Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) takes care of her financial situation and always looks out for her and her family, Alhamd'Allah.  

She showed me a picture of her 4 children.  This woman was full of energy and positive vibes.  God bless her and her family.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Great to read inspirational stories of Muslims helping each other out of kindness and faith.

I have had a few experiences but the most memorable ones are those where I was taken advantage of as a Muslim/Shia by other Muslims/Shia, especially when travelling abroad.

Once in Syria a guy who has a hawza student helped me find a 'decent but affordable' hotel in Zainabia. It was my first solo trip to ziarat/abroad, I was quite young and inexperienced and frankly a bit terrified, so I welcomed help and went along with it. I found the hotel rates within the limit of what I was willing to pay for that kind of accommodation. I was asked to pay in advance, so I did. Later I found out that one of the receptionists was working with the 'hawza student' and charged me almost twice the going rates. I should have got the receipt at the time of payment but the guy at the reception didn't give me and I didn't insist (like I said, inexperience). At the time of checkout, to allay my doubts, I asked the receptionist (a different guy) for an invoice. Apparently he didn't know what had gone on earlier and gave me a printed one with the actual rates.

I was upset off and wanted to take them to the task but I was getting late for my flight. "They can keep my sadqa," I thought to myself,' and the left the hotel quietly.

Dear Mr. Shirazi, the hawza student, I will always remember you.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum

Brother @Marbles this thread is loving our Muslim brothers and sisters.  :rolleyes:  I could give accounts too of when Muslims take advantage of other Muslims as well, but we are trying to show their is hope and consideration in ummat Mohammed (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)

Tell your mom to make du32 for you to keep wlad al haram away from you, like the sky is separate from the ground.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Edited by Laayla
let your dear mother make du32