Propaganda_of_the_Deed

First time praying at my local (Sunni) masjid

Rate this topic

I remember once some travelling Sunnis  (4 of them) happened to come in our mosque while we were praying maghrib.  They simply needed to pray and I don’t think they knew they were in a Shia masjid.  

It was very funny and sad what had transpired.  They began their congregation thinking we had completely finished our congragtion.  They didn’t know we were about to begin Isha! (How could they???)!

And so the Shias were bickering amongst themselves and thinking that they are being insulted by those Sunnis for not joining them and for starting their own congregation.  Little did those Shias know that this is what is  normally done in a normal masjids (I.e. people start a congregation amongst themselves spontaneously when the need arises-  they don’t have to wait around for a program or a schedule and some president of the community to authorize a particular leader to lead the prayer).  

To make it worse...one of the Shi’a brothers even shouted them WHILE they were praying to be quiet!  I could hear Shias complaining and getting upset while impatiently waiting for those Sunnis to finish their Maghrib and then their Sunnah prayers.   

I tried to tell them that they should be patient and that we need to show respect towards them and that they are not intentionally trying to interfere with our program.  

In any case it was a pretty bad experience and I felt ashamed and embarrassed of being part of that Shi’a community.  I don’t think those Sunnis will EVER think positively of Shiaism ever again.  

Edited by eThErEaL

16 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

I don’t think those Sunnis will EVER think positively of Shiaism ever again.  

How do you know they are thinking negatively about Shiaism? 

Edited by Mohammed-Mehdi

1 hour ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

How do you know they are thinking negatively about Shiaism? 

You are right.  They probably had the best opinion about the Shi’a crowd that shouted them while praying.  

11 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

You are right.  They probably had the best opinion about the Shi’a crowd that shouted them while praying.  

Assuming is against Islamic teachings.

You don't seem to understand.

A group of bad behaving "Shia's" does not give one the right to think bad about Shiaism. It's not a valid argument.

4 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

A group of bad behaving "Shia's" does not give one the right to think bad about Shiaism. It's not a valid argument.

Completely agree brother but sometimes some people tend to judge a theology or group by the actions of a few, or rather their own experiences. Just like how non-Muslims judge Islam based on the media.

It is wrong and it is a false equivocation though.

4 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

Then why are you assuming those Sunnis would be thinking in logical syllogisms?

Most people use their sentiments not reason.  

14 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Then why are you assuming those Sunnis would be thinking in logical syllogisms?

What did I say that makes you brave enough to say I was assuming that? What is your proof/evidence/ etc. ? (Or is this another assumption, this time about me?)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For example,  it is possible, as long as we don't know, they would think bad about Shia school of thought after visiting that Shia or a " Shia " mosque with that specific experience.  Possible which means the opposite is also possible. That they would not think woow; all Shiaísm must be bad because how these guys were treating us.

2 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

What did I say that makes you brave enough to say I was assuming that? What is your proof/evidence/ etc. ? (Or is this another assumption, this time about me?)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For example,  it is possible, as long as we don't know, they would think bad about Shia school of thought after visiting that Shia or a " Shia " mosque with that specific experience.  Possible which means the opposite is also possible. That they would not think woow; all Shiaísm must be bad because how these guys were treating us.

:salam:

I feel this discussion is going nowhere. 

Being shouted at can only result in bad feelings. Live with it brother.

12 hours ago, realizm said:

:salam:

I feel this discussion is going nowhere. 

Being shouted at can only result in bad feelings. Live with it brother.

Alaikum El Salaam.

The point is; if a group of people who claim to be Shia, for example, do something bad to someone who does not claim to be of that group/kind/, then is it a logical conclusion to say; that these people will say that the whole school of thought (Shia) must be bad, because of this specific behavior, in this specific place, at this specific time by these specific people, for sure?

No, they do not necessarily will conclude; Shia school of thought must be bad because of that specific situation which was shared. They could have such thoughts.

And if they or some of them would, in fact, have this idea or in a different example, then would they be justified?
No, because for example; these people can be not real Shia's. Or another reason.

Islam tells us to stay away from assumptions as much as possible, isn't that correct?
Then we must do our best in that regard.