Propaganda_of_the_Deed

First time praying at my local (Sunni) masjid

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Faruk said:

Just for clarity.

Is a,Twelver Muslim allowed to pray behind a Sunni Muslim as long his forehead is able to do prostrate on a Turbah or is he not at all allowef to the pray behind a Sunni Muslim unless it's under compulsion?

He is allowed to pray behind a Sunni Imam but without the intention of Jama'ah (congregation). That is he can only bow and prostrate in sync with them but has to recite all the zikr including Surah. 

Prostration should be on Turbah as long as one is not required to observe Taqaiyah. 

This is according to Sayed Ali Sistani. 

I prayed in a Sunni mosque. I felt super awkward and out of place. People were staring. 

3 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

He is allowed to pray behind a Sunni Imam but without the intention of Jama'ah (congregation). That is he can only bow and prostrate in sync with them but has to recite all the zikr including Surah. 

Prostration should be on Turbah as long as one is not required to observe Taqaiyah. 

This is according to Sayed Ali Sistani. 

The prayer is a furada (individual) but the sawaab is congregational, otherwise one could have just prayed at home or by oneself. 

This is the essence , and you have to pray your own prayer in congregational movement.

I normally shorten the qunoot to just subhanallah. 

Not at all brother, we would not be praying in a congregation with mushrikeens.

Even among the ahle sunnah they have their fiqhi differences and like do not fold their hands at the same place. 

So it is not strange for us to have our differences and commonalities .

The commonalities to keep us together as brothers and the differences to arouse curiosity to learn more. 

As Shia we always find it weird when praying in Sunni masjids, and we have all these stories of Shias being confronted. 

But Sunnis also have many stories of being confronted in Shia masjids.

But as Shia we feel more compassion with the Shia being confronted in the Sunni masjid, because we’re Shia.

This happens everywhere in all religions that has different sects.

Personally I have prayed in many Sunni masjids, and precisely a masjid near my university where I have prayed daily. And I can say I never had a problem with anyone. Yes someone might ask something out of interest or out of feeling they want me to kno something but it is also out of respect.

Also the problem falls under many Shia who go to a Sunni masjid feeling they are “defying an enemy”, that attitude will get you in problems. If you go to a masjid you go to pray not to challenge people with your Shia pride.

@Propaganda_of_the_Deed I completely understand your nervousness. A few years ago when I worked as a motorbike courier in London I used to use a closest mosque finder app to find mosques to pray in during my breaks, Shia mosques were listed in blue and Sunni in green. Surely Sunni's had problems with me praying like a Shia in Sunni mosques but I never gave up, even though some questioned and ridiculed me to go far enough as to step on my turba while I was praying and disturb me and ask me if I was a Muslim. It did cause me deep distress and depression but I never gave praying my way and kept my patience with them, it did make one of them to shake my hand before he turned around puffing and bluffing away.

I agree Shia most mosques are based more on the outskirts of the London and they are rich, but some of them in regional inner city suburban areas undergo  construction work which they cannot afford anymore or are not situated in convenient parking areas for cars so they close down.

That Salafi guy you mentioned praying with his legs apart reminds me of my experience in a mosque when a similar guy questioned me. there were just a few people in the mosque but we decided to pray together after I finished praying my Shia way. A Bangladeshi Sunni guy took the lead. Although he did ask who wants to take the lead and offered me as well but I refused. while praying with them I decided to use my palm to prostrate on instead of my turba as a way of respect for them but still held my arms down.

Anyway that Salafi type guy didn't give up his ways afterwards and spoke in manipulative ways, obviously he didn't approve of me even after praying together. Guys like this put fear in me, I thought he was going to hit me by the way he came suddenly and started praying next to me at the beginning when he saw me first time. If it wasn't London then I'm sure I wouldn't have lived to tell the tales.

The only mosques I felt welcomed and comfortable in were a Sufi mosque which was very clean and a Pakistani community Sunni mosque because my parents are originally from Pakistan too so we felt a natural ethnic connection between us and there are many Shia's in Pakistan so I guess first generation British Pakistani's are quite familiar with Shias.

I say people be careful out there.

I prayed in Sunni masjid with a turbah and never had any problems while praying. I have avoided praying an a 12er masjid since becoming zaidi. I probably will at some point as I still attend lectures etc.

Some kids in a brewli masjid once came and asked me if I was wahabi though :grin:

Edited by Warilla

1 hour ago, Warilla said:

I prayed in Sunni masjid with a turbah and never had any problems while praying. I have avoided praying an a 12er masjid since becoming zaidi. I probably will at some point as I still attend lectures etc.

Some kids in a brewli masjid once came and asked me if I was wahabi though :grin:

I once read the turbah issue is surprisingly also a topic in salafism and supported by some of them in the sense of not to prostrate on man made products.

Many positions in Twelver fiqh are CLASSICAL legal ikhtilaf positions in Sunni fiqh as well or at least do not invalidate the prayer or other obligations (wiping the feet for example is permitted) but unfortunately this is not known by the laymen masses who condemn certain practices in their ignorance.

Edited by Faruk

On 2/17/2019 at 10:44 AM, BowTie said:

As Shia we always find it weird when praying in Sunni masjids, and we have all these stories of Shias being confronted. 

But Sunnis also have many stories of being confronted in Shia masjids.

But as Shia we feel more compassion with the Shia being confronted in the Sunni masjid, because we’re Shia.

This happens everywhere in all religions that has different sects.

Personally I have prayed in many Sunni masjids, and precisely a masjid near my university where I have prayed daily. And I can say I never had a problem with anyone. Yes someone might ask something out of interest or out of feeling they want me to kno something but it is also out of respect.

Also the problem falls under many Shia who go to a Sunni masjid feeling they are “defying an enemy”, that attitude will get you in problems. If you go to a masjid you go to pray not to challenge people with your Shia pride.

Salam I concur with this. In fact some Sunnis have even asked me to lead the prayer knowing I’m Shia. It was Maghreb too.. perhaps they were not learned.. 

some salafis did not join the jama’a

I actually prayed in the airport prayer room in Egypt on route home. 

There was a small congregation who gestured me to join, so I did even though it was their Maghrib time. I still placed my turbah and prayed the Shi'I way. A uniformed policeman even joined later and stood next to me.

When it finished no one said anything, I just moved to the back and re-did it at the correct time followed by 2 rakah for Eesha as a traveller.

That makes it 2 Sunni majority countries I have prayed in this way (other being Morocco), although both were in airport prayer rooms rather than masjids....I mean I'm more confident now...not that confident.

Edited by Propaganda_of_the_Deed

@Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Since getting to work from home on Fridays, I've been having a strong calling within pushing me to go pray Jummah at the local Sunni masjid. I'd hazard a guess that it's a Hanafi masjid, but not 100% sure.

What can I expect procedure wise? From some googling yesterday, I believe they:

1. Read 1st adhan
2. Read 4 rakat sunnah
3. Read 2nd adhan
4. Read khutba
5. Read 2 rakat jummah
6. Do they then read 2/4 rakat sunnah/nafal?

10 minutes ago, Jaane Rabb said:

@Propaganda_of_the_Deed

Since getting to work from home on Fridays, I've been having a strong calling within pushing me to go pray Jummah at the local Sunni masjid. I'd hazard a guess that it's a Hanafi masjid, but not 100% sure.

What can I expect procedure wise? From some googling yesterday, I believe they:

1. Read 1st adhan
2. Read 4 rakat sunnah
3. Read 2nd adhan
4. Read khutba
5. Read 2 rakat jummah
6. Do they then read 2/4 rakat sunnah/nafal?

Yes that is correct. Being Hanafi and if largely from the sub-continent (Barelwi as opposed to Deobani), they'd generally be more tolerant of Shias.

Insha'Allah khair

Salam brother,

Say alhamduAllah there is even a mosque or place of worship for Muslums in your area. I think we tend to get caught up too much in the Shia and Sunni talk and forget that everyone at the Mosque has come for the samething you have, which is to pray to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Yes it may feel uncomfortable, but there are people living in areas where they don't even have an opportunuty to see many brothers of Islam. 

I was driving to a town a solid 30 min away with only Churches and no Mosque. Honestly, I didn't care, I told myself I am going to go into this church abd just ask for a room to pray. I ending up not going inside though because it was sunday and they had their mass prayers... But just saying, not all Sunni Muslims are negative towards Shia. 

15 minutes ago, Wise Muslim said:

I was driving to a town a solid 30 min away with only Churches and no Mosque. Honestly, I didn't care, I told myself I am going to go into this church abd just ask for a room to pray. I ending up not going inside though because it was sunday and they had their mass prayers... But just saying, not all Sunni Muslims are negative towards Shia. 

I am a Shia. A few years ago I also used a church to pray. I was quite surprised by the easy going nature of the lady bishop there. Even though as a kid I grew up attending European schools in the 80's and attended many churches on Wednesdays. 

No not all Sunnis are negatives towards Shias but it's easy to find a handful that are negative. 

I have prayed in many mosques in London but the most welcoming and cleanest was a Sufi mosque. 

On 2/16/2019 at 6:09 PM, Faruk said:

Wouldn't it all be so much easier for the sake of unity if any Muslim could pray behind another Muslim regardless of sect.

Like in Oman for example an Imam is an Imam wether a Sunni, zaidi Shia, twelver Shia or ibadi.

https://www.al-Islam.org/articles/plea-Islamic-unity-yasser-al-madani#defining-Islamic-unity

The third idea is that Islamic unity is, as Ayatullah Mutahhari says, “in no way related to the unity of the different schools of Fiqh (jurisprudence) but signifies the unity of the Muslims and the unity of the followers of different schools of Fiqh, with their different religious ideas and views.”11

This is the correct definition of Islamic unity.

According to this definition of Islamic unity, we do not need to make any compromises on our principles, practices or beliefs for the sake of Islamic unity. Furthermore, we do not necessarily have to stop talking about the differences between the various Islamic schools of thought or avoid engaging in discussions and dialogue about them.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:14 PM, Mahdavist said:

Our obligatory prayer is one of the most important acts of worship. Even being a twelver is not enough, one must be aadil in order to lead prayers. Being aadil means to refrain from greater sins and to not be repetitive with lesser sins. 

In situations where I am standing in a congregation where the Imam does not fulfill the criteria, I prefer to silently pray nawafil and then offer my obligatory prayer on my own after the congregation has dispersed.

Wallahu a'lam.

Salam,

do you lead congregational prayers?